Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on March 30, 2011
I am a long time SONY Alpha girl and I've had my latest the a55 for a couple months, I read the manual. I *thought* I knew the camera pretty well already. We (the camera and I) are taking the best pictures of my life.

I cracked open the book yesterday. As soon as I got past set-up, around page 20 I could no longer just read. I needed my camera in hand. I was being told things I didn't know about.

The big color pictures are really nice. While the words are in a conversational easy to understand form, the pictures drive the point home. It's impossible to not understand what the author is telling me about my camera.

So much better than what is in the manual. I am looking forward to getting out and shooting some more. "We" are going to be taking even better pictures:)
11 comment51 of 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2011
I had the NEX-5 about a month before picking this book up. I am new to photography and just have a basic idea of the exposure, aperture, etc. This book walks you through just about every aspect of the camera. The very best part of this book is the large screenshots from the actual camera (even larger than the actual camera).

The one negative thing I can say is that it seems that a lot of the book was written with templates from all the other books they churn out, so it doesnt always all flow together.

Do not buy this for the kindle as you won't see any detail (or color) in the pictures, or differences on comparison shots.
11 comment34 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 12, 2011
I am the first to admit I am very much the novice photographer. I've always used Sony point and shoots over the years and each time I got a little braver about moving up in quality. When my daughter moved into Junior High sports and cheerleading, I developed a serious case of camera envy from everyone who could get that perfect action shot so I took a leap and got the Alpha 55. The camera itself is an absolute wonder and extremely easy to use right out of the box but I quickly realized if I wanted to use it for its intended purpose rather than just a nicer point and shoot, I needed help the manual just couldn't provide. Therefore, I bought this book and have been thankful ever since. I literally sat down and read it cover to cover the first weekend I got it. It is very simple to understand, extremely thorough in its descriptions of camera functions and most of all, user friendly. I refer back to it often and can't imagine not having it handy to help me continue to make the most out of my camera purchase. I now understand the concepts of aperture, ISO and shutter speed and their effects on achieving the pictures I've been longing for. I move around the camera dial like a pro and am composing shots I never even thought of before. Had I not had this book, I would still be lost and most likely frustrated. I highly recommend this for anyone who owns or plans to purchase an Alpha 55, especially if you are just an average Joe like me wanting to get some really cool pictures of your kids. You will not regret purchasing it and for the price, it can't be beat. In fact, I am now looking at some of Mr. Busch's other books to help me hone my photography skills in general. I am very, very pleased with the purchase.
0Comment25 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2011
great book well written easy to understand and follow will recomend anyone who buys the camera please do youself a favor and buy this book
on April 3, 2011
I already have one of Davd Busch's books on the original Alpha and that was great too. This book is very easy to read - good simple explanations and enough depth of complexity to help really understand the power of this little camera. The photos in the book make it pleasant and easy to read. My favorite camera book!
11 comment12 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 3, 2011
Love my new Nex 5 and having just read a few chapters, already can see how heplful this book has been and will be. Highly recommend. Marty
on August 13, 2011
This book is well written, illustrated in color and easy to understand. It is a great improvement over the manual that came with my SONY a55. I would recommend this book to anybody buying a SONY SLT-a55/a33 camera. This is the manual that should come with the camera.
on April 2, 2011
Lots of praise for this well written book on the Sony A33/55 Camera. Best $20 I have ever spent. Thank you.
on May 20, 2011
I have an SLT- A33. This book is well worth the price if you own one of these cameras and be a great help if you are tying to decide to buy one. The photos are a big help and in color and it is well written and interesting to read.
Not a replacement for the owners manual but a great compliment and addition to it.
It's not a book to read and and be done with it but a book you will want to keep on hand for reference. I have only read about 2/3 or the way through so far. A must have if you want to learn how and when to use every feature of the A33.
on May 10, 2011
This is a book you will want to take with you on your SLT A55v photography adventures, however the book is large so I also purchased the Kindle edition also so I could have it both on my PC and my iPhone when traveling. It's that good!

It is well written and I can tell that my paper copy will be dog eared and worn in no time. Finger lickin' good (as in wetting your fingers to turn the next page)!