Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Format: Library BindingChange

I find it interesting that the editor of this college textbook (source book)about my campaigns and the politics of race in the South went out of his way not to ask me for an essay on the subject. Is this book supposed to be an unbiased academic survey of my impact on the politics of race in the South, when every article is hostile toward me and my ideology? Would it not be appropriate to include an analysis by the man at the very center of the controversy? I am sick of the so-called academic community, which is supposed to support diversity of opnion and open-mindedness, repeatedly preventing students from getting all sides of important issues. How can students taking a course where this textbook is used, obtain a balanced view of these important issues when they purposely are prevented from hearing from the person at the very center of the controversy.
I don't blame students from having a negative opinion about me and my political methods and ideology when they are not allowed to hear my side of the story.
Those that are interested in hearing my position articulated in detail can order my book, My Awakening from Amazon. Only then can you truly make a fair assessment of myself and the vital issues which propelled my candidacy.
0Comment38 of 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 29, 2004
Just finished this book, received from a friend on the used market. Admittedly, 10 years after publication, the whole "Duke thing" is about as irrelevant as is he these days. Still, I found the reading to be good (I have a basic background in social science statistical methods, which helped at times) and the conclusions of the various chapters to be interesting in speaking to subtle racial appeals in the modern mobilization of voters. When I came to type this review, however, I discovered that Duke's people are still up to old tricks; namely, flooding Amazon.com with sales pitches under various aliases for "My Awakening," which is utter garbage. I wish Mr. Duke would learn that "Mein Kampf" will remain the worldwide standard for bone-chilling racist claptrap for many years to come, and that he didn't even come close in his rag. And that people know his "anonymous review" tricks now, which he should just find plain embarrassing.

You can get THIS title (the Kuzenski et al volume) at a decent price these days, and if you're interested in the politics of race ANYWHERE in the U.S.-- particularly how racial appeals are creeping back into our political discourse from the far right-- it's a better-than-decent read.
on May 12, 2000
I thought this was a good and comprehensive volume on the whole "politics of race in the South" motif, and have found it useful in my research. The fact that Duke apparently thinks it should have been about lionizing himself and his pseudo-intellectualized racism (e.g. his amazon.com review) isn't surprising, but it's a solid point in favor of this book, if you ask me. Good social science and interesting perspective in most of these chapters, backed by reasoned analysis of the larger picture-- the rebirth of race as a divisive issue in regional (and national?) politics. Funny how this title is now 5 years old, but still speaks to things like the current confederate flag controversy in South Carolina. Emphasis on electoral phenomena, but enough to keep a public policy-oriented type interested as well.
0Comment7 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2003
I have read your book about David Duke and found it to be rather good. You had a lot of good points. I consider myself to be very objective, so before I could give an opinion, I had to read David Duke's bood called "My Awakenning". To be honest, I have never read any racist material before and I don't belong to any racist groups as I find them to be quit offensive. I was actually shocked to discover that David Duke's book was very good and he had better arguments than this book did. He challenges his readers to find out the truth for themselves by searching over his footnotes and resources which I did do. To my surprise, he was right about every fact in his book. He gave better arguments than this book did, in fact, this book took many of his things out of context. If you read this book about David Duke, than make sure you read his book before you make a decision or a judgment about Duke. Remember!, that an informed opinion is better than a one sided opinion. I am a capitalist but be sure that I read things like "Capitol" vol. 1 by Karl Marx before I read things like "Capitalism the Uknown Idea" by Ann Rand. Objectivism is the true intelectual.
0Comment8 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 1999
This is a good book. I used this book to do a research paper over David duke, and it had great resources. It explained many things about his time period and what he did that effected others, as well as himself.
on January 13, 1998
I read this book for a Pol. Sci. class at my university, and it's become one of my favorites. So many other books about David Duke, southern elections, etc. just sort of "skim the surface" and seem to want to entertain with mindless old vignettes about the subject matter; the contributors to this title, on the other hand, actually seem to WANT to get to the bottom of things and explain how Duke got as far as he did (and the implications of that success on the politics of the 1990s and beyond!). A must-read.
0Comment6 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 27, 1997
Well, truthfully, I didn't love math class in school so I found this approach to understanding the Duke phenomenon - with all its charts and statistics - to be difficult to endure. What good are the statistics when you're dealing with a candidate who wins by flying under the radar anyway? But hey, to each his own side of the brain. More artistic types should read the review on Michael Zatarain's "David Duke - Evolution of a Klansman." That's the one to buy.
0Comment2 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse