4.0 out of 5 stars Electrifying blend of classical and modern
Published on July 28, 2009 by Bundtlust

3.0 out of 5 stars its
ok but not as good as the youtube or potential to be honest way to produced needed to be more raw
Published 19 months ago by Ivan Henson

4.0 out of 5 stars Electrifying blend of classical and modern, July 28, 2009
This review is from: David Garrett (Audio CD)
Wunderkind David Garrett grew up in Aachen, Germany and studied violin under Ida Haendel and Itzhak Perlman before graduating from Juilliard in 2004. As a child prodigy, he was subjected to a grueling rehearsal schedule of classical repertoire (he injured his back and shoulders recording Paganini: Caprices as a teen), but the freedom of NYC (including the huge music library at Juilliard and various clubs) opened up a new world of musical possibilities. David supplemented his income by modeling for print magazines like Vogue and Fashion Week for Armani while at Juilliard; his striking looks and broad crossover appeal have earned him the nickname "the David Beckham of classical music." Garrett's response? "He kind of drew a new audience to football, OK mostly female, but that's not a bad thing. I think that's why people actually say that because they know I really try very hard to get new audiences for classical music."

I first heard of David Garrett in a Barnes and Noble and was hooked. After watching numerous clips and interviews (both German and English) on YouTube, I was blown away by his utter confidence and poise. You can see at once that this is someone who truly loves music and his instrument (he plays both a 1717 Stradivarius and a 1772 Guadagnini, which he badly damaged after falling on it); just like growing up bilingually with a German father and American mother, he's equally at home as ambassador of classical and pop.

"David Garrett" is actually David's fourth solo album for Decca after Free, Virtuoso, and Encore, and most of the tracks are pulled from these three albums (I would have liked to see the inclusion of "Claire de Lune" from Encore). The themes run the gamut from Baroque (Vivaldi's "Summer" from the Four Seasons, Bach's "Air") to Romantic (Bizet's "Carmen Fantasie"), a dash of Italian Gypsy, modern rock (Metallica, Queen, AC/DC, Michael Jackson), film scores (Zorba the Greek, Pirates of the Caribbean), and original works ("Chelsea Girl," "Rock Prelude"). The album opens with a high-octane rendition of Vivaldi that might bring to mind Vanessa-Mae or perhaps the eccentric Nigel Kennedy, but David makes this all his own, and at breakneck speed.

My favorites are the uptempo tracks, particularly the "He's a Pirate" theme from Pirates of the Caribbean. This Hans Zimmer gem is a cross between sweeping score reminiscent of the Chieftains' score for TNT's "Treasure Island" with the stately delicacy of a bourrée. The xylophone echoes the violin, accented by triangle and harp. The intense "Smooth Criminal" opens with tympani mimicking a heartbeat...chilling and effective. David's aggressive bowing in the first part slides into a near-human wail as he duets with the electric guitar, then returns to the staccato melody. Queen and AC/DC are given similarly effective treatment. Bill Withers' "Ain't No Sunshine" also translates well to the violin medium, buoyed by the assertive piano bassline. I loved the rollicking "Zorba's Dance" but was a little underwhelmed by "Dueling Strings" (I just can't distance the song from Deliverance (Deluxe Edition)).

Overall, this is a fun, flashy album that showcases David's immense technical talent and will hopefully attract younger listeners to classical repertoire. Purists will likely not be impressed, but for casual listeners, this is a catchy album that does justice to familiar tunes (hey, if it gets today's youth interested in Bach and Vivaldi, that's a good thing). Be sure to check out David's charismatic live performance of these songs on David Garrett: Live In Berlin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic mix of old and modern brought together, June 16, 2009
This review is from: David Garrett (Amazon Exclusive Version) (MP3 Music)
I heard about David Garrett on NPR recently and thought I would give it a listen. I love the way this CD has a great mix of some older fantastic classical pieces mixed in with modern day songs. The arrangements are wonderful and exciting and his violin skills are amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars I became a fan, June 15, 2009
This review is from: David Garrett (Amazon Exclusive Version) (MP3 Music)
It was the TV commercial that got me interested. And then I listened to the snippets available on Amazon. So I bought the whole album. I have listened several times to it and will now be buying more of this exciting artist's albums. Hard to believe I'd ever be a fan of the violin.

4.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary Violinist - Great Upbeat CD, July 19, 2009
This review is from: David Garrett (Audio CD)
I heard David Garrett performing and talking about his music on Public Radio recently and it was very refreshing. I purchased this CD and have found it to be very entertaining with several very upbeat violin tracks on a wide variety of fairly well-known compositions. This is not a good choice for those looking for traditional classical violin music; but it's very enjoyable for those looking for something contemporary, fresh, and lively. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars David Garrett, August 14, 2009
This review is from: David Garrett (Audio CD)
What a wonderful mix of classical/stage/movie music - the Michael Jackson song "Smooth Criminal" is great! Some of the music was so beautiful I got chills listening to it!

5.0 out of 5 stars David Garrett, September 12, 2009
This review is from: David Garrett (Audio CD)
ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT! I love this CD!!!! I was first introduced to David Garrett on PBS during the airing of "David Garrett, Live In Berlin". I was mesmerized by him as a musician and as an entertainer and have been trying to get a copy of the performance ever since. Pure inspiration! I think kids and people of all ages viewing this performance would be moved to try this instrument for themselves. I know I am! I really enjoy classical music with a contemporary edge and it's the same with David Garrett. It's what makes this CD so very special. My favorite--- "Who Wants to Live Forever" by Queen. A side note: The tempo is perfect to listen to if you enjoy moderate to fast speed walking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, August 10, 2009
This review is from: David Garrett (Audio CD)
I love this CD. I had heard an interview with David Garrett and some of the songs on NPR and decided to try to find it. I thoroughly enjoy it and will purchase more of his CDs in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!, August 19, 2009
This review is from: David Garrett (Audio CD)
I am officially sold on David Garrett...he's remarkable and I'm so glad I discovered him. His talent is incredible and he's easy on the eyes! Don't be afraid to give violin music a try...this is NOT your grandmother's music...he performs a blending of different kinds of music and you would be amazed at his renditions of Metalica, Queen and Vivaldi! His selections are varied and shows his wide range of ability...give this one a try!

5.0 out of 5 stars Energizing CD, December 26, 2009
This review is from: David Garrett (Audio CD)
I just happened on this David Garrett CD, not knowing anything about him, but after reviewing a couple of tracks decided to get it.
I am just WOWED by this man's vitality and could not stop playing it. I love his versions of Carmens Fantasie and Pirates of the Caribbean, but was also touched and moved by his own composition of Chelsea Girl (a melancholy love theme). I shall definately keep my eye on this young musician.

4.0 out of 5 stars Turn the volume way up! Enjoy..., October 4, 2009
junebug (Plano, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: David Garrett (Audio CD)
The best music to listen to while driving the North Dallas Tollway. Turn up the volume and rock to Classical. David Garret Rocks!