Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on September 30, 2008
This book is hard to put down. When you do, you'll want to pick it up again. It is so interesting. He is a fab designer, very candid. His style is so comfortable while being exciting. This book will be read over and over. I love modern, although this book is for anyone who was ever afraid to try a fresh approach. It is one of my best coffee table reads. Val, from Mo.
on April 5, 2008
A great book for those wanting to recreate timeless interior design.
Fascinating insight into his life. Good balance of editorial and images. Given the pinacle of his career was the late 1960's / 1970's, some of the photos will appeal to those in the current 1960's 1970's retro style. However saying that, there are aspects of all the images that could be used and adapted for both modern and classical room styles.
on December 18, 2007
I loved the cover, wish I could of seen inside photos. I am a designer and love to learn from books of all eras. This one however left me with lessons on what not to do, rather than models for success and beauty. So if you hope to see beautiful interior work on grand villas, palaces etc, buy Roomscapes by Renzo Mongiardino instead. The photos are stunners of a full life's in such places, and the text he wrote is so insightful in how to diagnose the problems of a room and how to listen to a room that it is worth the most to me in my design library. I always go back to it for inspiration and guidance. The Hicks book is a celebrity bio that shows how you can get paid a lot of money by installing interiors that shock most and cow nay sayers by their boldness. But that doesn't make it beautiful.
on February 12, 2007
I waited an extremely long time for this book to be delivered. I have to say that is was worth the wait. This gives a great look at at great designer from a perspective of someone who probably knew him better than anyone. The photos are great and his designs are still very relevant today (probably more than ever). I recommend this book to any fan of Hicks or a fan of high end 70's modern design.
on December 13, 2006
Amazon needs to get their act together. This book is great - but I would order it somewhere else. I ordered these books to give as holiday gifts and they came without the dust covers. I had to go ahead and give them anyway, but Amazon can't seem to locate any covers for them. They shipped 3 more books to me but they didn't have covers either. It has just been impossible to get in touch with anyone there that can help and I can't seem to talk to anyone other than a phone operator in India to help with the issue.
on July 3, 2006
Ashley Hicks has created a lasting memorial to his talented father, David Hicks. The book is stunning. The writing is fresh and enjoyable. Much, much more than a "David Hicks on..." title--more like a family scrapbook done to the highest level!
on September 12, 2005
I have eagerly anticipated receiving my copy of David Hicks: Designer. I ordered it back in May of this year (2005) and I was told that it "usually ships in 2 to 3 weeks". Well, here it is September 2005 and STILL haven't received my copy and I doubt I ever will.

What I have received are endless emails stating that they have run into an unforeseen and unavoidable delay in obtaining my book and ask that I approve the additional delay. The most unbelievable part is that it's STILL listed as "shipping in 2 to 3 weeks" on the site!

I've contacted them on about three occasions complaining about the delays. Every time they respond, it's extremely scripted...they don't even seem to realize how long I've waited for the book, instead treating me as if I just recently placed the order. In the time that I originally ordered the book and now, I've accumulated a $5 coupon, free One-day shipping and the upgrade of having my items shipped when they become available--this is useless b/c the other 2 items I ordered months ago have already been received.

I recently got the idea of writing a review on amazon's poor shipping after seeing 2 similar reviews for the book "Tom Ford"... seems like I'm not the only one who is frustrated and fooled by amazon. I wonder if the folks who paid $80 to become "Amazon Prime" members have to put up with such poor service.