5.0 out of 5 stars The Human Side of Greateness
Published on March 11, 2001 by Rev. S. Gilder

3.0 out of 5 stars Not nearly as good as Swindoll's Esther book
Had high hopes for this book after reading Swindoll's "Esther" book. Surely with a person of David's stature and given how much more we know about him, I expected a far more detailed, in depth study. After reading 25% of this book, I am very disappointed. Chapters are short and lack detailed development of David.
Published 11 months ago by James in Florida

5.0 out of 5 stars The Human Side of Greateness, March 11, 2001
Rev. S. Gilder (SILSBEE, TEXAS United States) - See all my reviews
Mr. Swindoll gives you a complete account of David's life. Not only does he accurately depict the greatness of David, the anointing by Samuel, the victory over Goliath, and the courage of Daivd, but he also vividly portrays the human side of greatness. That is the fleshly side. For so long we have to come to highly esteem our Biblical brothers and sisters just for the good side and great accomplishments. Mr. Swindoll takes you into every aspect of David' s human side (David's sin and faults). He expounds on David's lack of discipline toward his children, his inability to provide a functional home, his quick temper with Nabal the husband of Abigail, his issues with Bathsheba that we all know about along with his murderous plot of Uriah, his pride in numbering the people of God, and the rashness (quick judgment) of his counsel as when he was instructed by the Prophet Nathan to build God a house. This was not God's will for David but he was instructed as so. I don't want to dwell on the negatives, I just want to commend Dr. Swindoll for covering the whole aspect of the life of David and not just the good. Every human being, even Bible great ones as David, have two sides. We ought to learn from both. Take the good side of the great ones and model it. Then take the faulty human side in order to learn how not to make the same mistakes. For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope. Romans 15:4. I commend Dr. Swindoll for doing a wonderful job of covering every side of the life of David. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking to take the lives of the Bible Patriots as a modeling tool and as a studying tool. This book was recommended to me by a friend. and I do the same to any interested party

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book About a Great and Flawed King!, July 25, 2003
Consistent with Swindoll's writing style, the reader sees the character as described by the Bible - both good and bad.
While David was Israel's greatest king, he also committed grevious sins that adversely impacted those around him. Even so, he was described as " a man after God's heart".
Some of the excellent points Swindoll covers in his book include:
1. God can use our talents and use them for His glory.
2. Do not fight battles in your own strength! Rely on the
Lord and His timing and methods.
3. How our bad decisions affect others.
4. God cares about the details of your life - the better you
know your standing with the Lord, the freer you are.
5. We must not abuse God's grace to sin and expect no
consequences.
6. When God says no to our dreams, it may be because of
redirection in our lives.
7. The importance of having a thick skin - if you want God
to use you, you need to shed your ultrasensitivity.
8. Important notes about true friendship.
All in all, an excellent read that can encourage us and sober us about the impact we have on other people!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book from The Good Book, January 17, 2000
Charles Swindoll does an excellent, if not remarkable, job of not only presenting the trials of David in modern day life, but he also vividly illustrates the psalmist's shortcomeings into lessons for today. Without a doubt, this book was written with God's guidance (no slight intended towards Mr. Swindoll), and I recommend this book to be used as a tool for the Christian of today in his/her walk with God. Upon finishing, I not only had renewed insight upon David, but also within myself, and found newborn strength to conquer my own daily struggles. God has annoited this book, of that there is no doubt, and I strongly urge Christians to delve into it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book written with passion and destiny!, May 18, 2000
Every time a pick up a book from Swindoll's "Great Lives from God's Word" series I think that nothing can be better than the last one. Starting with Joseph and then reading Moses gave me the impression that these were his best. Now I've returned back and read David and continue to find that brother Chuck has been blessed with a deep understanding about God's word, God's people and God's ways. As with the other books, Chuck doesn't leave any stone unturned in David's life and digs deep into the things that we can all relate to. I recommend this reading especially to those who are facing the giants in life whether they are physical or spiritual. King David is a great study for all of us seeking to be a "man after God's own heart."

5.0 out of 5 stars Great As A Teaching Manual!, July 27, 2006
This is a well written, thought provoking book. I am currently using it as a manual for a Bible study class. It's not one of those "deep theological" biographies, but it speaks to the layman, in a very easy-to-understand style. Recommended for study groups, or anyone, who wants to know more about the "man after God's own heart".

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT BOOK, August 23, 1999
By A Customer
I thought this was one of the best books I have ever read. It touched my heart in a way no other book has, and gave me an understanding of just how great God's grace truly is.

4.0 out of 5 stars More Enjoyable Than I Thought It Would Be, December 12, 2009
I was able to complete David during a two week vacation a few years ago. This book was the first book release from the Great Lives from God's Word Series and was a birthday gift from my wife. I have also read Swindoll's biographies on Moses, Joseph, Job, Paul, and Jesus. Like in Swindoll's Paul: A Man of Grace and Grit, we are reminded how a man can become great when he places himself at the Lord's disposal. We can all live "great" lives by submitting to our Father. My only knock against this book is the rather elementary artwork on the cover. I don't feel very manly carrying this book around. :-) Despite that, I'm really glad my wife purchased this book for me. It has resulted in me warmly welcoming other books from this multi-volume series into our library.

5.0 out of 5 stars best of the Swindoll series?, February 23, 2006
All the books are good ... this one was great. It hit home for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book that studies the life of David, from the Bible., June 14, 2009
Robert C. Grozier (Lehigh Valley, Pa.) - See all my reviews
No other Old Testament figure has as many pages written about him as David, the second king of Israel. This book has many insightful looks into King David, who, is a figure of Christ Himself. I recommend any of the "great lives" series by Chuck Swindol.

They are always insightful, accurate, and help along the way of understanding our Lord Jesus Christ. You will get a whole new picture of Christ through the life of David, and, if you are saved this will be an immediate treasure for you. If you are not saved, this book points you to Bible verses where you can read about the great sacrifice a kind, loving, merciful God made that we can have the hope someday we may be saved asa well.

Good book for both believers and non-believers alike. Check out all the "great lives" series of books to help you learn and grow as a Christian. Much scripture is in these books- and it's the BIBLE that can lead us to Christ (faith commeth though hearing and hearing through the WORD OF GOD)...........Romans 10:17

5.0 out of 5 stars DAVID, CERTAINLY A MAN AFTER GOD'S HEART, July 18, 1999
DAVID, A MAN OF PASSION AND DESTINY, CAUGHT MY ATTENTION THE MOMENT I HEARD IT MENTIONED ON THE DAILY BROADCAST. SINCE READING DAVID I HAVE PURCHASED THE ENTIRE SERIES UP TO MOSES. CHUCK HAS A WAY OF BRINGING BIBLICAL CHARACTERS TO LIFE AND IT MAKES UNDERSTANDING THE BIBLE FUN, EASY, AND SPIRITUALLY UPLIFTING. FROM DAVID TO ESTHER TO JOSEPH AND NOW MOSES, CHUCK HAS LIT A SPARK WITHIN ME THAT CAN ONLY BE QUENCHED BY THE CONTINUATION OF THIS SERIES OF BIBLICAL CHARACTERS... CAN'T WAIT UNTIL HE INTRODUCES US TO MR. PAUL AND HIS DAMASCUS JOURNEY.

David A Man Of Passion And Destiny
David A Man Of Passion And Destiny by Charles R. Swindoll (Paperback - October 19, 2000)
$14.99 $11.20