Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on October 24, 2012
The many glowing reviews of the Vantage Pro-2 are accurate and I highly recommend this unit over any of the competitor's products. With that said, there are two issues you should fully understand before plunking down your hard-earned cash for this. First, the rain gauge is "approximate" at best. The tipping bucket technology is considerably less accurate than the standard rain gauge when precipitation rates are high, such as in thunderstorms or the like. Second, it's far too easy for the rain gauge bucket to get plugged up with crud (leaves in the fall, tree spinners in the spring, spiders, etc).

If you're serious about measuring preciptation grab yourself a $30 plastic CoCoRaHS-approved rain gauge. They're at roughly the same accuracy as used by the National Weather Service. The only thing is, you need to empty them out manually and they're just a funnel-and-cylinder, not electronic. This plastic unit's PITA factor outweighs the inaccuracy of the Davis bucket in my mind.

Another issue is the HORRIBLE Davis Weather Link software. Their proprietary hardware dongle connects to your PC as a serial device, with a serial-to-USB converter than makes a royal mess of things if you're not careful. The interface is straight out of DOS, too. It's really BAD, and configuring third party software like Cumulus with it isn't a job for the timid.
on September 16, 2009
The Davis VP2 is regarded by weatherbuffs as the defacto standard in the industry. It provides the best feature/performance and price ratio on the market today.

I purchased the version right below this one back in January of 2009 because at the time I couldn't afford the price of the PLUS series. Mine has everything this one does except for the 24 hour FARS. I now regret that I didn't spend the extra money for this one cause you can not add the 24 FARS to the other VP2 models later. Within a month after I set up my station, it became clear that I was going to need to have the FARS system to get accurate daytime temps. The standard radiation shield just isn't good enough to prevent solar heating in the summer.

My only choice was to purchase the Daytime FARS Kit which runs on solar power but does not have the battery option for nighttime operation. This works 75% as well as the 24 hour version, but when you add the $150.00 cost of this FARS to what I spent on my VP2, I was less than $200.00 away from the price of this model!

Ambient Weather is a great dealer and I suggest visiting their web site for the lowest price they offer. I am not sure if the price listed here is the best you can do from them.

In terms of the VP2 itself... I could not be happier with the unit's accuracy, durability and performance. People who choose something cheaper very often end up with a VP2 later, and then you have ended up spending more than buying the best from the start!

It is no wonder why the Davis Vantage Pro 2 is the #1 choice of amateur weather buffs all over the world! :)
on September 3, 2011
Very happy with it out of the box. Easy to put together and had it on it's mount with 20 minutes. So far reliable, worked out of the box and the instructions were easily understood.

If you're looking to upload to the Internet: Wunderground CWOP etc, Make sure you include the Weatherlink software hardware
on January 1, 2015
I've used aviation and research met stations in my work for almost forty years. The Vantage Pro2 is obviously well engineered and constructed. It compares favorably with "professional" instruments costing much more. So far, it has delivered everything I expected. Except for the mounting pole and base station backup batteries, everything needed for installation was in the box. The base station is easy to read and use. Wireless communication has been reliable through several walls.
on February 7, 2015
Well I thought I was buying a 5 star station. Although it is better than the Oregon Scientific and alike
stations, there are issues with it. Perhaps I'm being too picky but I feel compelled to share the issues I have
had and still have. 1) cannot download to my computer without the software "weatherlink" crashing. You MUST
buy the software if you want to upload your data to a web site (such as wunderground). 2) Software
is advertized as Windows 2000 compatible which it is not- not a huge deal but it was for me 3) no information
given on what a wind gust is, i.e., the sampling of maximum wind 4) I had issues with the pressure sensor
and to Davis's credit, they replaced it 5) rainfall rate is not reported unless at least 0.02" of an inch is received
by the rain gage- where I live we get frequent trace to 0.01, 0.02" amounts. 6) station comes with only a 40 ft
length of cable connecting the wind sensor to the sensor suite- so unless you are mounting the anemometer right
above the sensor suite, if you want an accurate wind measurement taken at 10 meters, that leaves very little
cable if the sensor suite is any distance at all away. Yes, you can purchase a wireless transmitter or buy more cable- and there is no information telling the user that you must protect the cable- you cannot bury it without using PVC pipe or other protection.
7) weather graphics in "weatherlink" look like they are from the 1980s- terrible!

Anyway, I guess there is no better station but I kind of wish my Oregon Scientific WMR968 (no longer available) station
didn't die. In many ways this much less expensive station was better IMHO.
on April 30, 2016
The Davis Vantage Pro2 with 24 hour Fan aspirated weather station is a very high quality weather station. It is made of durable UV resistant plastic and should last many years. It measures accurate temperatures most of the time except between 12:00 PM and 2:30 PM when the temperature sensor reads temperatures higher than a good passive weather station. This is disappointment for sure but do not be discouraged from buying this weather station. The temperature errors relative to passive weather stations is usually less than 1 F around solar noon when solar insulation is highest. Do not expect high temperature measurements as accurate as good passive weather stations it will be warm biased especially in areas like south Florida with high solar insulation much of the year. I have both this weather station and passive weather station that I use for high temperature record keeping and the Davis FARS for hourly temperatures to calculate average temperatures and minimum temperatures. The rainfall and wind data are very accurate though.
on February 15, 2014
I worked in air monitoring for 25 yrs using federal standard met. systems. This unit comes very close to that level. Easy to set up and use. The "console" is quite comprehensive and gives present, past and archived data at the touch of a button. All in all, very good system.
on February 19, 2016
I’ve been completely happy with my 24-hour fan aspirated Davis Vantage Pro 2 weather station during the past 18 months of operation. Observation elements seem to be spot-on based on data I obtain from independent sources. Lots of additional options can be added in the future if desired. Customer support is outstanding to boot. I recently dealt with Brian at Davis Customer Service who quickly and efficiently worked with me to solve an issue that I discovered while cleaning the sensor suite. Many easy to understand on-line documents are available to help with all aspects of installation and use. The price is worth it if you’re interested in accurate and reliable weather observations.
on April 11, 2013
This thing was much larger than I expected. The wireless range solves a problem I had with prior stations but most importantly the 24 hr aspiration makes for accurate temperatures.
on October 23, 2011
So glad I ordered this, works GREAT! Now if we could just get some rain to verify rain gauge works...LOL