5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful coming of age story
Published on July 21, 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow but Redeeming
Davita's Harp starts out as a slow read. I had a hard time getting into it at first but as you push through, it's hard NOT to be absorbed by little Davita's tale. This young girl goes through so much tragedy in her life and yet she somehow finds a way through it and is stronger for it. I'll admit the novel is depressing at times; it definitely had me crying a lot but it...
Published on February 8, 2009 by K. Jeffries

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful coming of age story, July 21, 1998
This review is from: Davita's Harp (Paperback)
I have heard this book criticized because a male author is delving in to the mind a girl growing to adulthood up. They say that Ilana Davita does not ring true as a female character. I could not disagree more. So much about Ilana rings true. Much of her I recognize in myself. I too am the child of parents of strong ideology and had to find my own way. The cruel response of both teacher and classmates as she expressed her parents views about Stalin brought tears to my eyes. I recall a similar experience in my own life. It is a beautiful story of a girl longing for a feeling of belonging and finding it in Jewish faith. I recommend this book without reservation. Chaim Potok is a wonderful author, (he also wrote The Chosen which is my all time favorite book) and I think he created a believable, precocious, hurting girl who finds faith and healing and perseveres through hardship and injustice.

4.0 out of 5 stars A coming-of-age novel, both smart and kind., July 2, 2005
frumiousb "frumiousb" (Amsterdam, the Netherlands) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Davita's Harp (Paperback)
Davita's Harp blends historical fiction, politics, religion and issues of immigration & identity together with the story of a young girl coming of age. The result is an agreeable and very readable novel.

Davita is surrounded by people who are unable in one way or another to negotiate compromise. The communist beliefs of her parents, the extremely divergent religious views of her extended family, her environment at school-- none of her potential role models offer her a strong basis for building her own identity. Eventually, however, Davita does begin to choose a road for her life and she does it with her own unique flavor and on her own terms. Her story is lovely, and very inspiring.

I would recommend this book highly as a gift for high school students, particularly girls. Davita makes a wonderful role model and it should be meaningful to young people struggling with issues of religion and identity-- any religion. One of the key messages of Davita's Harp is that it is possible to choose for a religion and community without sacrificing your other beliefs. It is unique in that it shows religion both as a steadying force and as an evolving imperfect system. I can certainly think back to a time in my life when it would have been very helpful to see a way forward that was more than the choice between inside and out.

Additionally, the period prior to World War II is a largely forgotten moment in time. The view on post-depression labor relations, the Spanish Civil War, and the treatment of the so-called premature antifascists makes for fascinating reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Davita's Harp" -- Beautiful, Beautiful "Eye Music", November 11, 2001
This review is from: Davita's Harp (Paperback)
A co-worker of mine, a roly-poly joy and delight of a human being, on the cusp of retirement, urged me to read this book. My first thought was, "Oh, Potok...'The Chosen,' 'The Promise' -- required reading for high schoolers, maybe a little dry and boring...." I told her I was reading a big, fat book and it was going to take me ages to complete (I wasn't fibbing; that was the truth). She said, "Take it. I guarantee you, you'll love it. Read it, whenever...return it, whenever."
Thank you, dear kind (wise) lady. This was one of my favorite books of the 1980s (and I read about 500 books a decade) -- I will never forget how immersed I was in the story, to the point where I lost absolutely all sense of time and place. As soon as I finished "Davita," I sadly returned it to her, for this book is a keeper. At the end of that workday, I RAN and bought everything Potok had written up to that point. They were all wonderful, but "Davita" will always be my favorite, with "Chosen" and "Promise" both running a close second.
I read everything Potok wrote pre-1990, and strongly urge you to read this author. But start with "Davita."

5.0 out of 5 stars An engaging and beautifully written novel, July 16, 2004
This review is from: Davita's Harp (Paperback)
Most critics that I've read often say that Davita's Harp is good, but not Potok's best. However, this has turned out to be my favorite of his novels, and definitely one of my favorite novels, period. It's beautifully written, with a sensitivity and bittersweet-ness that only Potok can create. Though it's definitely scholarly with a lot of dense subject matter, Potok doesn't make it over our heads. He was the kind of writer that seeks to make us understand without preaching, rather than to show us how much he knew, and the result is a lyrically written, wonderful story of the joys, sorrows, and trials of the human spirit

5.0 out of 5 stars Praise for Davita's Harp, January 6, 2004
This review is from: Davita's Harp (Paperback)
If you enjoy delving into wonderfully crafted stories, Potok's "Davita's Harp" will not
leave you disappointed.
Potok touches on war, confusion, passion, community, justice, faith, family, politics,
death, grief, and life--all the essentials of an existential masterpiece! What makes the
book so enjoyable is that it is written from the perspective of a young girl who
experiences life's disappointments and joys, usually, for the first time. Potok invites
readers into Davita's life and subtly asks us to reflect on life's experiences we ourselves
have lived. The insightful reader will grab Potok's bait and give thoughtful consideration
to life's twists and turns and reexamine ideas and relationships that all to often lack
serious attention and effort. May Potok's portrayal of Davita's inquisitive life place you
in a position to reexamine yours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible--better than Harry Potter, December 7, 2001
anna (Sacramento, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Davita's Harp (Paperback)
I thought I was in love with Dostoyevsky until I read this book and discovered I'm in love with Potok. This book, although slow in the beginning twists several stories and themes around the central character, Davita. Reading it is as if a million ink dots transformed into a hand which reached from the pages to grip your mind. Entertaining and moving on both surface and deep levels. I also enjoyed the historical context, including the portrayl of Guerica. Potok is a lyrical genius. This is a must read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A girl's amazing coming of age story, November 8, 1998
This review is from: Davita's Harp (Hardcover)
For all of those readers who cherish coming-of-age stories, this is definitely the book for you!
Ilana Davita Chandal, the protagonist of Davita's Harp, grows up under the shadow of the Depression in various neighborhoods in New York City in the 1940s and early 1950s.
The only child of two radicals, Davita learns quickly about politics and the importance of social activism. Yet, at the same time, Davita's fiercely principled ideals stand the test of time when multiple tragedies touch her family.
Ultimately, however, Davita does find a way to begin again and dream big dreams.
Memorable, amazingly symbolic characters include the writer Jakob Daw, the nurse missionary Aunt Sarah, and the heroic journalist, Ilana's father Michael Chandal.
The power of Potok's work lies not only in its simple charm and complex reality, but also for its univeral appeal to each and every reader. That is to say, everyone regardless of religion, culture, race or gender can find something from Davita Chandal's life that speaks to them.
This book is amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars thought provoking book, January 9, 2005
This review is from: Davita's Harp (Paperback)
What an amazing book. It was a little slow, and I almost didn't read it, but I stuck with it and WOW! It hits you like a ton of bricks about half way through. I found it to be a very thoughtful, critical commentary on how blind adherence to religion or political ideology can lead to intolerance and blind one to what really matters in life. One of my top reads ever, the ideas it conveys will keep you thinking about this book long after you finish it. A must for religious and non-religious people alike!

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, as to the mind of the precocious heroine., February 6, 1999
This review is from: Davita's Harp (Paperback)
I loved reading about this girl of my era, so different from my WASP upbringing in many ways, but universal in her need for love, protection, understanding and affirmation. Yes, many of us have been "the best girl in the class," only to be ridiculed and shamed. Potok must be a genius in understanding the interior workings of adolescent females as well as males. Five stars

5.0 out of 5 stars This has been my favorite book for many, many years now., November 16, 1998
This review is from: Davita's Harp (Paperback)
I have read all of Potok's works, but DAVITA'S HARP is definitely his best. Not, perhaps, in terms of technique (we begin to see a bit of repetition in the work) but in his ability to reach beyond his own personal story and into the world just beyond his own. A wonderful accomplishment for Potok as a writer, and a book that can be read over and over and never become stale.

Davita's Harp
Davita's Harp by Chaim Potok (Paperback - August 27, 1996)
$14.95 $12.89