Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dawn (California Diaries, No. 1)
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on December 25, 1999
I have read almost all the books in the series. And I think every teenager would relate to at least one of these characters. The author takes you from a problem of feeling not good enough to becoming anorexic, and people you love the most dying from a diese, even trouble with a boyfriend etc.. If you do not think a book could relate to you than you have not look enough. Or if you just like snooping on other peoples private stuff, you would also enjoy these books. (Even though the charaters are fictional.)
on December 20, 1999
This book is a well-written one about a 13 yr. old grl called Dawn. She expresses what she does with her friends and family. She meets new friends like the postitive grl, Amalia. This book tells us about what Dawn's point of view of everything. This is a good chanz to find out what Dawn is thinking about her family and friends. This book is actually funny and interesting to read! If I were u, I would get this one and read it!
on September 24, 2004
This book is the first book in the California Diaries series. For those who don't know, it's about thirteen-year-old Dawn Schafer who is facing many changes in her life, including her Dad's new relationship with stepmum Carol, her move to the high-school building in school, and friendship changes. In this book, Dawn and her friends Sunny, Maggie and Jill get invited to a party thrown by eleventh and twelfth graders after their move to the high-school building. They debate whether to go to the party and ditch Jill's sleepover. They go, but when they arrive they know something isn't right. Sunny drinks alcohol without realising it and gets sick, and the party is held in a backyard of a house with no one home. When the police get called from a neighbour complaining about the noise level, the party breaks up quickly. Dawn, Maggie, AMALIA (new friend in 8th grade at the party) and Sunny get a lift home with a reliable high-school boy named DUCKY. They get back to Jill's house where Jill is furious. Towards the end of the book, Dawn, Sunny and Maggie break away from Jill, whom they think is too babyish.

There is also a nice sub-plot about Carol's pregancy, but i won't tell EVERYTHING that happens!

This is a great first installment of the CA Diaries series. As you read further books in the series you realise that this book is NOWHERE NEAR as good as the others and comes out looking pretty amateurish, but all first books look that way. How about Kristy's Great Idea, #1 in the Baby-sitters Club? That looked so pathetic compared to the latter BSC books, which were GREAT!

The cover of #1 Dawn is great and the writing style is good. I thought maybe it took a little too long to describe the party, and the back cover's writing isn't as good as other CA Diaries. This is why this book gained 4 stars instead of 5. This book is probably the worst in the CA Diaries series and that's pretty good considering it got 4 stars anyway and its average rating is 5. But as this is the first book and introduces you to Dawn, Maggie, Sunny, Amalia, Ducky and the CA Diaries world, i can overlook that!:)

Overall, the entire CA Diaries Series is a MUST-READ and #1 Dawn is worth-buying. FANTASTIC!
on March 6, 2004
In this book, Dawn Schafer expresses her feeling about herself and her friends. She and Jill Henderson, her former friend, decide to not be friends when a party comes between them. As Dawn goes on, she meets Ducky McCrae & Amalia Vargas. And as the move forward into all their adventures together, they stumble into terrible mistakes and funny momments. To find all of these adventures, read California Diaries.
on November 5, 1997
This book is a story about Dawn from the BSC series by Ann M. Martin. Inside, Dawn is living in California, and all of her friends are changing, so fast that she can not keep up with them. In the form of Dawn's journal, it tells not only events in her life, but her feeling about them. I particularly enjoyed this book because I could easily relate to the situations that Dawn found herself in. It was very interesting to see how another person feels about middle school, and peer pressure. I would definately reccomnd this book to young adults that enjoy realistic fiction storys. I'm sure, however that just about any reader would enjoy Dawn's journal. Enjoy!!!
on November 30, 1998
This book was so realistic! A lot more then any BSC book I've read. This is mostly all about friendship....which I have a lot of trouble with. I love these books because they seem more grown-up then BSC. THey have more serious problems. More REAL problems that normal people have. That's why I love them so much. I like how Sunny got drunk. Teenagers now drink a lot, and I'm glad Ann Martin wasn't afraid to write that.
on January 8, 1999
At first I wasn't sure if I was going to like it, but I read the reviews and I wanted to see how it turned out. Now I have to agree with most of everybody else: BSC is too unrealistic. The story focuses on everyday life, especially teenage problems which have something to do with High School. It seems refreshing to know that Dawn has a side different than the one shown in the BSC books. I think it's sad that Jill had to break it off with Dawn, even if she was babyish they could have tried to worked things out, but just like Dawn wrote, she wasn't sorry enough to patch things up. Now I'm getting hooked on the entire series and I'm looking for the Dawn's Journal 2 in local shops...
on April 25, 1999
With a move up to the high school building early and her dad leaving for a long trip Dawn hasn't got the easiest of lives at the moment. Her friends seem to be changing every minute, too. Nothing seems to be working out right for Dawn. And it hardly helps that she has to keep big secrets from her father.... I think this book was the best Ann M. Martin book I had ever read. I think that the California Diaries are better than the BSC because the BSC isn't really all that realistic. With the Califoria Diaries you can actually imagine everything happening. The book was both touching and sad, but overall the best book Ann has written. Well Done!!!!
on June 17, 1999
I thought this book was a good way to kick off the series. it was very well written and the part about the party was described in so much detail that it was like I was actually there. one part that I didn't like was dawn and her friends fight with jill. they could of at least tried to understand her instead of suddenly deciding that she was really immature. and dawn and her friends are faced with some really difficult choices while at the party that I thought helped make the book more realistic. this is a must read for people who like this series.
on October 10, 1998
I when I first read about California Diaries in the back of Baby-Sitters Club books I didn't know what to think of it. So when I went to the bookstore last summer I got both Dawn and Sunny. When I got home, I couldn't but Dawn down. I was shocked at first because I know from Baby-Sitters Club and I always thought of her as what Baby-sitters made her out to be. But know I that she not all of that. I love the way Dawn writes in her diary. This is a big step from the Baby-Sitters Club. This is a great book for Young Adults.