5.0 out of 5 stars A 5 star debut novel
Published on October 27, 2011 by sammy2006

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars. Very good debut book
Post-apocalypse stories are among my favorite, but I prefer them with a non-paranormal flavor. Said that, this book had a few good things that I think the author should have taken advantage of and that show a lot of promise.

Published on January 2, 2013 by Emanuela PlasticDuck

5.0 out of 5 stars A 5 star debut novel, October 27, 2011
This review is from: Dawn of Darkness (Daeva Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
First let me say how incredible is this world that Daniel Kaine has created in his debut novel Dawn of Darkness. The level to which Mr. Kaine creates this new world is nothing short of amazing. I felt like I was visiting--seeing his world as the pages of his novel unfolded. Set on the planet earth, Kaine creates a place inhabited by both human and supernatural beings. Mikhail, the MC, is one of the "super" human military who have been born with supernatural powers while still retaining human form. Darkness is his story--his and that of his lover, Ash. As this novel unfolds, Mik does indeed come to question everything he has been lead to believe about the military unit he has been assigned to, the war he is helping to fight against supernatural beings and even his own abilities. Through it all, he clings to the one person whom he has finally allowed himself to trust, Ash, his best friend and lover. To say anymore would be to give away some of the many twists and turns this novel takes--good twists and turns--ones that make you cling just a little harder to your kindle and pray that everyone will make it out alive. At turns, this is a mystery novel, a fantasy novel, a love story and unbelievably a commentary on how gullible we as a people become when we allow ourselves to be controlled by religion and politics.

Did I mention this was Mr. Kaine's debut novel--stunning, just stunning. This novel sets us up for subsequent sequels and good thing too because with the ending of this gem I, for one, was ready to hunt down Mr. Kaine, strap him to a chair and demand he not move until finishing the next book in the series!

I highly recommend this novel--this is an author you will want to keep your eye on--I believe he not only weaves a wonderful story but he has something to say--something important. I, for one, am ready to listen!

4.0 out of 5 stars Dawn of Darkness (Daeva) by Daniel A. Kaine, June 17, 2012
This review is from: Dawn of Darkness (Daeva Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I think the main reason of this novel was to prove how stupid the war is and how rigid the military structure can be, above all if they try to see the world in Black and White.

The main characters of this novel are a group of kids with special powers. I say kids, even if they are probably in their twenties, since I had the feelings all these guys were taken from their family when they were still teenagers and they didn't have the chance to grow into real adult and above all soldier. When the story starts they are approaching graduation day from the Military Academy, and to me it was like reading of boys approaching the last day of high school.

The story is told in first point of view by Mik, a misfit among them; Mik is an orphan and so he has no bad experience in his past with his family; all these boys have supernatural powers but this is not a bonus in this futuristic society, on the contrary you are considered an abomination, and most of the time your own family disown you... I think there is a parallelism here between being gay and having supernatural powers, like in today society you are disowned for being gay, in that futuristic society it happens the same when approaching adulthood you find out you have special skills people fear.

At the beginning I didn't feel the attraction between Mik and his roommate Ash, but thinking at it twice, I noticed how Mik was jealous of his best friend; in any case it's not Mik who does the first move, but Ash, almost taking advantage of Mik's almost breakdown after he has to kill for the first time. Ash brings to bed a drunken Mik, and he has his way with him, tighten the bond between them that will last for all the novel, with some bumps on the road.

Dawn of Darkness is the first book in a series, and that is the reason why there is no a wrapping up ending; moreover, after the blow the author decided to give to the reader at the last chapter, he also opted for giving hope and the very last word will help many readers who maybe wanted a different ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating debut novel with compelling and freshly drawn characters, March 29, 2012
This review is from: Dawn of Darkness (Daeva Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Completely enjoyed this dystopian/fantasy world created by Daniel Kaine and found all of the characters engaging. It's always nice as a reader to find a "fresh" approach to portraying vampires, werewolves, magic and other fantasy elements, and I found that here. The strong bond that MC Mik (this story is told in his POV) maintained for his best friend and lover, Ash- and without the aid of charms, powers, etc - was compelling. I was really rooting for Mik and was hoping he would not be feeling broken when the book came to an end. For me the ending was perfect - I love how the reader was taken right down to the wire. I was actually grinning ear to ear, finding it not to be a cliffhanger so much as a "Bring on book 2, there is plenty here to resolve and explore!"

4.0 out of 5 stars A great story with some extra steamy scenes, October 27, 2011
This review is from: Dawn of Darkness (Daeva Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I had read a beta version of this and loved it! The final product is even better. It's not a typical vamp/supernatural story so it was nice to feel like I hadn't read it before (as I do with many other vampire books out there these days).

There's action, romance, suspense, and some sexy time scenes that may very well leave you needing a smoke when you're done reading it. The characters are well rounded and likable. You'll come to care what happens to them.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars. Very good debut book, January 2, 2013
This review is from: Dawn of Darkness (Daeva Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

I hoped the author would take advantage of the post-apocalyptic setting a bit more. I always found myself glued to the page when there were descriptions of the way nature was taking over cities, of the wild horses, of what was left of the civilization. My favorite parts were those about the journey and the cities, I liked trying to discover the city the author was describing, the landmarks left, especially in Aldar. The fun of post-apocalypse is to be able to superimpose what you know about the place and how the author can demolish your knowledge as the apocalypse demolished those places. There wasn't enough of that, in my opinion.

The narrator, Mik, didn't have a gripping voice. It was as if he was telling the story from the sidelines instead of the front of the story. It's true that Mik tends to remove himself from situations: he often takes a step back from sex, from emotional connection. It depends on his past, on the many losses he had to face when he was a child and the fact he has to face the fear of constantly losing the people he cares for. There was a great moment in the book when Mik acknowledged his rage and anger finding a connection with a negative character. It was so powerful, so alive and revealing, and it showed a potential strength. I hope the author will continue on this road in the next books, especially because the choices Mik has to make are not easy, depending on where his loyalties are.

Another interesting thing that I think I never found in another book was Mik's considering himself asexual. It's powerful. It denies an obvious relationship dynamics and it's simply cool, because it's a choice that implies power over a basic instinct - if it's not a lack of passion. This wasn't so clear to see, and I think this could be explored a bit more.

The book is rather long. The story dragged a bit in a few places and I think the way some information about the past wasn't always given smoothly, but I could see the author was trying to avoid info-dumping. Parts of the world building were not explored or left dangling. Mik's learning of his abilities was done with a lot of repetitions of situations, it could have been more organized. The consequences of Mik's initial meeting with a human outside Rachat on his first mission were not really explained and I felt the issues were abandoned. I don't know, there was a bit of general clunkiness.

There were interesting plot twists, very interesting, but I had the impression they had not enough space to have their full impact.

It was an intriguing read, a bit frustrating sometimes, but for a debut book it's good. I'm going to read the sequel because it ends in a jaw-dropping way.

3.0 out of 5 stars a good debut, May 10, 2012
Furio (Genova - Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dawn of Darkness (Daeva Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
As far as fantasy novels go this is not bad.
It is the first in a serial and the following instalment is not out yet.

Mr Kaine creates a good plot with a nice rhythm, the story flows easily forward and the setting is a fairly original one, mixing a post apocalyptic dystopia with some common supernatural lore (vampires, werewolves, witches).

Characterization is somewhat less satisfying, featuring the usual whining brat who grows into more of a man and into his powers but at least it is consistent. There also might be some truth in the criticisms of some reviewers who see him more like a girl: if his name were Michaela instead of Mikhail only minor adjustments to the plot would be needed.
Writing is clunky here and there and often less than polished. There are several moments where things are more told than shown.
Although the M/M content is quite explicit there are few sex scenes and they are not overly graphic.

I should suggest you wait for an offer to download this first volume so as to see whether you might like this author or not.

3.0 out of 5 stars A slow but promising start, January 19, 2015
This review is from: Dawn of Darkness (Daeva Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Mikhail lives in a world on the brink. Humanity is slowly being eradicated by vampires and their only hope are the Daevas--humans with special psychic abilities. Mikhail, upon discovering he is a Daeva, is sent to a military academy to train with others of his kind. The Daeva armies hope to bring down the vampires and the threat the pose to continued existence on the planet. But neither Mikhail or anyone else on his team have ever seen a vampire; they have only the information they've been given as a source. And when Mikhail is on a mission and encounters one for the first time, he finds that he suddenly has more questions than answers.

Anyone who has followed my reviews will know that I am a huge fan of the post-apocalyptic dystopian theme--sometimes I can't get enough of it. And that's precisely why I picked up this title. It's engaging and certainly has me wondering what's going to happen in the rest of the series. The reason it didn't pull a higher rating from me was that I felt it was incomplete. I know it's part of a series and the rest of the story is yet to come, but on its own there just wasn't enough here. The characters and relationships don't get enough time to really pull someone in to be truly invested in it. Some more background might have helped with that, but it is what it is. The action of the story that comes later is active enough to make up for it in some ways.

5.0 out of 5 stars A story with everything I love, October 20, 2011
This review is from: Dawn of Darkness (Daeva Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
The story has everything I love, vampires, werewolves and a bit of magic. There were twists at the end I didn't see coming and I nearly strangled Daniel when it ended because I wanted it to keep going. Fortunately, there's two more books. Mik's character was interesting and the way he developed throughout the story made me love him even more for how believable it was.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff! An excellent start by a brilliant young writer!, August 28, 2013
This review is from: Dawn of Darkness (Daeva Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I can't wait to see more by Daniel. While certainly there are things that can be said about what's right or could be better in this book, it was a wonderful read, and I had a great time! Just what I needed! I just finished book 2 and that was very good as well. I hope book 3 is about to come out soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!, August 23, 2013
This review is from: Dawn of Darkness (Daeva Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Started on the book 1 a few days ago and now half way thru book 2. Truly hard to put down.

Dawn of Darkness (Daeva Book 1)
$5.99