Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

Format: PaperbackChange

on February 8, 2016
A surprisingly good book. I really like the "journal entry" style of the narration. Unlike most zombie fiction, this tells the whole story from one man's perspective: from normality to nothing. Zombie fiction tends to be pretty mediocre but this is engaging, as much a story about the events as it is about the man.
on December 27, 2015
Wasn't as great as I expected it to be. Kind of elementary written?
on December 18, 2015
The story was interesting. Reads kind of like an episode of Walking Dead with different characters. However, it's hard to see some parts of the book and I didn't feel like there was great closure at the end.
on December 9, 2015
I got the audible version of this, and it was my first audio book. Once I got used to being "read to", I was immersed in the action and loved every minute of it! This is by far the most realistic "zombie" book I have come across. If the impending apocalypse is to be of the zombie variety, I imagine that this is exactly how it would go down. The jounal style of writing lends itself to instant identification with the main character, which I really enjoyed. Initially, I intended to make my way through the story while listening to it in the car during long commutes but it didn't quite work out that way. I was so immediately drawn in, that I had to pop in my headphones and devour the entire thing! Whether you are a fan of the zombie/horror genre, adventure, sci-fi or just about anything else, do yourself a favor and check it out. So good!
on December 5, 2015
Ending didn't match the pace of the story line. Would have hoped more detail on the aggressors that were downplayed.
on October 29, 2015
Bourne is not an amazing writer but he stays on track and tells a good story. I stayed with it and although I didn't necessarily care emotionally for these characters I stayed curious about their adventures. Worth A read.
on October 28, 2015
I'm submitting the same review for the entire series. I enjoyed these books very much. Good action + good character development = good reading. A very worthy entry in the ZA/TEOTWAWKI/ genre.
on October 19, 2015
How this book gets a nearly 5 star rating is beyond me.

Don't get me wrong! I love the zombie genre and am quite forgiving when it comes to writing styles. But this book is horrible on so many different levels I ended up throwing it in the fire (literally) after about 110 pages. I can honestly say I hated this one from the start.

First, the main character is a coward and totally unlikable. Second, the writing is 10th grade level (... at best) and the author has NO idea what an adjective is. After about a dozen pages I started to read it, in my head, as if he were a robot. For example:

"I'm concerned about my safety, but I am taking every precaution to ensure that I am doing okay. I am making a new section for supplies so that I can keep track of the amount of water and food I am consuming, I also checked the acid level of my batteries, They are good to go. Should last through this, unless... well I don't want to go there in my mind right now."

That's a direct quote from the book, found on January 13th, 1143 hrs. The rest of the book (as far as I trudged through, at least) isn't any different. I threw it down in disgust when the "hero" got to explaining WHY he didn't even bother thinking about his family. Despite the fact that he was a pilot, had access to planes, and his family was out in the middle of nowhere... it never occurred to him to do anything but say it was suicide to try. How do you respect that type of person?

Save yourself the trouble/cost and skip this one. If you want a well written zombie book, with amazing characters, check out The Dog Stars or The Reapers are the Angels. If you're more into the military, check out Zone One, or The Remaining series, or even Patient Zero. If you want something creepy? Suffer the Children. If you want an example of how to write a book in first person? The Martian is a perfect example. I question if this writer has read anything in his entire life...
on October 9, 2015
Great read!
on October 6, 2015
Was looking for a "light" read and found it here. In full disclosure I am a fan of this particular genre. The characters here are not fully drawn out but for some reason I find it more to the stories credit than otherwise
If you're looking for something without the commitment of The Stand or the emotional weight of The Road give Day by Day a try