5.0 out of 5 stars Day hiking wonderland!, September 26, 2004
This review is from: Day Hike! Mount Rainier (Paperback)
We purchased two books on Mount Rainier hiking. This is by far the best. In fact we didn't even need to buy the other book. Ron does a surperb job of descriping each trail in detail. The ratings from easy to extremely difficult are very accurate. He gives elevation gain and rates each trail as far as beauty. The ratings of each trail is from 1 to 5 backpackers instead of stars and we found them to be completely true. We are backpackers as well as day hikers, but we wanted only to day hike these trails, so this book is just what we needed. My advise is to buy this book, it is really all you will need if you only want to day hike. Happy hiking!!!! I hope you enjoy Mount Rainier as much as we did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality., July 11, 2005
This review is from: Day Hike! Mount Rainier (Paperback)
I've spent a fair amount of days at The Mountain without any trail guide book, but decided I needed one to get full enjoyment out of the park. The book has all the information you need to choose a hike based on highlights, season, difficulty, and solitude.

It is arranged by park region and even includes a few hikes from outside the park that have good views of Rainier. Directions on how to reach the hikes are clear, as are directions while on the trail. Maps are cropped USGS-style and show elevation gain well, along with adjacent elevation gain charts.

I appreciated the inclusion of autumn in some hikes' "best seasons to hike". Far too many books base this designation on wildflower seasons, but leaf color change and mushrooms can provide just as much interest in season. The author's sense of humor is pretty good, although forced at times. Regardless, it does not detract from the discussion f each hike.

All in all, I'd definitely recommend this book if you are only interested in day hikes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any trip to Mt. Rainier, September 8, 2004
This review is from: Day Hike! Mount Rainier (Paperback)
I was extremely pleased with this book. It is geared toward hikers of every level of fitness and ability. I found the NPS website confusing in its description of hikes, but this book did a very good job breaking down the various hikes by location, length, difficulty, and change of elevation, as well as providing a good description of what to expect. I took several hikes while at Mt. Rainier and found the book to be very accurate. It also has a number of practical tips which I found useful since I had never hiked at altitude before. I encountered other hikers who lacked guides and they were clueless and missed out on a lot. If you are going to take the time to get to the park, you should spend a few bucks on a book to guide you the rest of the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great job, June 19, 2002
This review is from: Day Hike! Mount Rainier (Paperback)
I really enjoy reading Ron C. Judd's books. He has a terrific sense of humor and is not afraid to call them the way he sees them.
You can tell by the descriptions in this hiking guide that he's been out on every one of these trails. The book is organized so you can tell which hikes are best for beginners and which will be a long walk for any veteran hiker.
This is one of a series of three guides that is specifically written for day hikers, but it would be just as useful for anyone planning a backpack. Most of the hikes have a section on extending the hike, so just about anyone who shoulders a pack would benefit by this book
If you compare it to the other trail guides about Rainier, I think you'll find that this one is the most up-to-date and accurate book of all. Better than that, this one was produced by a real writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of useful information, March 15, 2010
While I haven't read any other Rainier trail books to compare to, this book has filled all my needs and left me with no complaints. I've spent a fair amount of time on Mt. Rainier, and this book provides excellent summaries and ratings of both well-known trails and lesser-traveled ones. It has suggestions for all seasons and skill levels and is a great reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good hiking book for Mt. Rainier!, August 14, 2010
I checked out a couple different books from the library re: Day hikes in Mt. Rainier. I liked this one the best, so I purchased it. I liked the author's description of the hikes, what there is to see, easy break-down of tables, amd most importantly, his sense of humor when he writes about these hikes. The Visitor Centers also gives you the trail guides for most of these hikes but his descriptions are more detailed and informed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good as a Supplement, but not a Primary Guide, July 26, 2003
Zainab N. Ahmed (Seattle, Washington USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Day Hike! Mount Rainier (Paperback)
After buying both this book and "Hiking Mt. Rainier National Park" by Schneider, I would say this book definitely takes second place. The nice features are the detailed elevations and the topographic maps. He also gives anecdotal descriptions, like if there are mosquitos or not. However there are a couple of detractors. A few of the hikes are not really even in the park. He also intersperses some snide comments that I do not find humorous, though I guess that is what he was meant by them. A good book if you ONLY intend to day hike and not explore the park in depth, but for a really complete guide Schneider's book is a lot better, as well as being more professional and emphasizing the care that we need to observe to preserve this beautiful national park. However, I do recommend buying both of them for an even more complete hiking guide. They really do not overlap too much and the writing styles are so different you benefit from the information found in both of them about the same hike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just What We Needed, September 11, 2013
This book was so helpful in our recent visit to Mt. Rainier. We read about the hikes ahead of time, narrowing the list down according to length, difficulty, and recommendations. We found the book invaluable in deciding which hikes to take. It is so clearly laid out, with directions to get to the hike, as well as a description of what to expect, elevation gain, views, etc. that we had no problem at all finding the trails--and staying on them--and the hikes were all he promised. I love the humor in the book, too, which made it extra-fun to read. This book is highly recommended for anyone who wishes to hike around the Mt. Rainier area.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for this beginner!, August 12, 2013
I have recently lost some weight and am really enjoying getting out into the mountains. I was looking for a book that would give me some good information on what to expect on the hikes. I have a lot of exploring yet to do, but so far, the descriptions have been right on. LOVED the Naches Peak Loop in particular!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent day hiking resource, May 14, 2013
If you are only dayhiking the park, this book does a great job in breaking down various hikes throughout the park. It gives all the vital specs, I especially like the diagram of elevation gain/loss on a hike. It helps plan hikes according to your group's physical ability. The trail descriptions are clear, descriptive and brief enough so you can hopefully enjoy the hike with some surprises. Taking the family this summer, can't wait to take some of these hikes.

Day Hike! Mount Rainier
Day Hike! Mount Rainier by Ron C. Judd (Paperback - May 2002)
Used & New from: $0.01