5.0 out of 5 stars Daybreak ... of the Revolution
This book accomplishes two critical things. One, it clearly documents the power grab and crimes of the Bush administration. Two, it provides a field manual for a social movement to put the people (us) back within the balance of powers.

Published on August 31, 2009 by S. Rowan Wolf

3.0 out of 5 stars This book throws our Constitution and Republic away.
I'm sick at heart regarding David Swanson's book "Daybreak." Swanson was a campaign manager for Kucinich, who I have deep respect for. Kucinich understands our need for government that works for the people. He also understands the separation of State and Federal power. Swanson's book is a whole different animal. Swanson's work is a call to "throw the baby out with the...
Published on September 15, 2009 by Patriot

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Daybreak ... of the Revolution, August 31, 2009

The book is an excellent documentation of the theft of our democracy. Swanson presents a thoroughly documented analysis of the creation of the imperial presidency. This grounding is fundamental for citizens to have the tools to counter the blather that passed as news and neo-con talking points for eight years - and continues now as the talking heads try to block any investigation of those crimes.

David Swanson also provides suggestions and strategies for an activist citizen's movement to (1) address the undermining of the Constitution and balance of powers, and (2) to return citizen voice and power to the ruling of our nation.

One of the issues that people across the political spectrum should agree on, is the long term threat that the powers stolen by the Bush presidency will pass from President to President unless they are challenged. Swanson (and most in the impeachment movement) are aware of this as well. There is a consistent effort to paint those who want thorough investigations - with prosecution where warranted and legislative remedy where needed - as wanting "revenge," or having "political" interests, or just "Bush Bashers." However, we know and Swanson makes clear, the stakes are much higher - the future of any functioning democracy in the United States.

This book is more than a "read it" book. Swanson has created a reference manual for activists. Daybreak is chock full of organizational strategy and mechanisms. It provides a vision of what a citizen involved democracy in the United States could look like - and how to get there.

My recommendation: Get it, read it, share it. Kudos and thanks to David Swanson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Few know the subject better., September 1, 2009
In the fight for accountability, there are many whose actions have failed to live up to their rhetoric. It is one thing to believe this country is worth fighting for, and yet another to actually spend time fighting.

As someone who worked for Congressman Wexler's campaign and his push for impeachment hearings, I can attest to David's fighting spirit and breadth of knowledge. His comprehensive understanding of the supporting evidence - coupled with a singular clarity of the legislative process and players - made him an vital resource.

There are surely plenty of people who disagree with him on Impeachment and/or his approach, but few that have been witness to his dedication, or have heard him speak in defense of the rule of law, could reasonably question his commitment to basic principles of justice and our constitution.

This book not only outlines the broad effort to hold our leaders accountable for their actions (and in some cases, inaction) - but it serves as a guide to understanding how today's activists can still find their voice heard (and force movement) despite the complex political dynamics that govern today's government.

One side note - whether or not you're an impeachment advocate or simply interested in political science, the notes section alone (and its rich collection of sources and links) make this book a must-have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daybreak-- time to go fishin', August 31, 2009
I've only been fishing once. Took a fly fishing lesson in Sedona, Arizona at daybreak, and caught a pretty little trout which I promptly released and watched swim swiftly away to safety. But the daybreak I see coming soon and am talking about now requires another fishing expedition-- this time for the high-ranking individuals who have deliberately altered our 3-branch system of government into a imperial, unitary executive which can ignore Congress and the expressed desire of the people for justice, peace and well-being. Congress has become a spineless group of politicians constantly running for re-election and kow-towing to party leadership, working as a political machine for the highest corporate paymasters. We haven't got a chance to survive with a government like this and David Swanson is one of our best, constant, and intelligent town criers letting us know that we need to step up and turn this situation around. As an activist, I depend on Swanson and [...] for information and analysis. Daybreak is a hard-hitting history of greed, corruption, stupidity and malfeasance, but it offers hope, and that's why I'm recommending it highly. Like others I really admire and follow, David is a hope junkie. If he weren't, he'd have given up fighting the corruption long ago. So buy Daybreak. And starting September 12 come to Camp Cheney*, a fishing camp for justice and accountability activists at Cheney's house in McLean Virginia, where you can meet David and others he has inspired to stand up to the architect of America's torture policy and the other illegal, immoral, and repugnant campaigns Cheney steered. Buy the book today. Go to the NAAN website for Camp info:[...], and take action now by telling Holder to prosecute Cheney: simply phone and Email the Office of the Attorney General at 202-514-2001 AskDOJ@usdoj.gov . Then notice how good it feels to take action.
Cynthia Papermaster, National Accountability Action Network

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, September 1, 2009
EZ "Elyn" (Fort Lauderdale, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
If you would like a return to normalcy, democracy and compassion - things the United States used to stand for - read David Swanson and become part of the solution.

5.0 out of 5 stars David Swanson's "Daybreak" is a Wake-Up Call for Patriots, September 4, 2009
William Hughes (Baltimore, MD USA) - See all my reviews
For me, the essence of author/activist David Swanson's insightful tome: "Daybreak," is this: On June 16, 2005, I was at the U.S. Capitol, in Washington, D.C., to cover a hearing on the infamous "Downing Street Memos." This document, crafted by the Brits, revealed that the Bush-Cheney Gang, colluded with Dubya's poodle, Tony Blair, the then British P.M. It showed that they were predisposed to go to war with Iraq--no matter what. To that immoral end, the scoundrels schemed to fix the "intelligence and facts...around the policy." In other words, the b......s lied and thousands of innocents died, U.S. troops and Iraq civilians alike; and the U.S. taxpayers are now out $3.5 trillion and counting.

That hearing, initiated by Swanson, along with a coalition of activists, was held in a basement room of the Capitol--more like a large closet. The phonies in the Establishment media either totally ignored, marginalized or mocked it. This, sadly, was their M.O. during most of the reign of the Bush-Cheney Gang.

Swanson details how Dubya enlarged the powers of presidency way beyond the original intent of "The Founders." He rightly labels it a "power grab." With respect to the battle for Impeachment, Swanson spotlights the laudable efforts of House member, Dennis J. Kucinich (D-OH).

Moving on, it will just break your heart to read how the Congress could have ended the blood bath in Iraq. As Swanson underscores--and this was in 2007 when the Democrats held a majority in the House--all they had to do was simply to "stop passing bills to fund it."

Finally, Swanson writes with urgency. Let his call for the full utilization of "Citizen Power," echo throughout the land. The people need to take their country back before it is too late. Wake-up, America!

5.0 out of 5 stars DayBreak!, October 5, 2009
Being an Iraq War Veteran, and author myself, I was wary when I picked up this book--as I am picking up any political book.

When finished reading Swanson's book, I remembered a fleeting line from JFK's speech for his party's nomination: "We must prove all over again whether this nation--or any nation so conceived--can long endure."

I think too often, politics and politicians only have four year or eight year vision. One thing we all need to be aware of is that simple decisions now, are going to affect the history of our nation. We need to ask ourselves, a hundred years from now, are we going to be proud of what we've become and our decisions. Are we going to say, we abolished hunger, disease, we spread freedom, or are we going to say....

Maybe I'm on a JFK fix, but Swanson also rings true to the idea of a "New Frontier" what we need to do, to make this the nation we know we can have, and we deserve.

There's a lot in-between, but it is truly a hard book to put a finger on. But I like it, and I recommend it.

Mass Casualties: A Young Medic's True Story of Death, Deception, and Dishonor in Iraq

5.0 out of 5 stars How to restore the rule of law, October 25, 2009
If there is one sentence in Swanson's remarkable book that bears repeating, it is this: "The first step in closing down an empire is bringing its emperors and oligarchs under the rule of law."

I say this with the confidence that there are millions of Americans who are alarmed by Washington's unconstitutional support for endless wars abroad and the accompanying erosion of democracy at home. David Swanson's book provides an insight-packed roadmap on how to "undo the imperial presidency." I'm encouraging teachers and professors to use it in their classrooms in order to awaken a younger generation to the inherent dangers of somnolence now that the Bush administration is gone. Daybreak is an unflinching expose of the corruption infecting all three branches of our government, and its not going to be routed out unless the people continue to demand accountability. I'm particularly impressed with Swanson's honesty and fearlessness in critiquing our "invertebrate Congress" and its penchant for holding inconsequential hearings rather than holding war criminals and murders in the Bush administration accountable for their acts. "While it may not be pleasant to stare recent crimes in the face and punish powerful people," he writes, " failing to do so is very likely to lead to the repetition and expansion of the crimes and abuses that are thereby established as acceptable...Our purpose [in prosecuting high officials for their crimes] should be deterrence. As citizens, we must be clear about what is and is not acceptable from our leaders." If citizens set their minds to carrying out only one of his many suggested reforms on his urgent "To Do List" at the end of the book, we will have succeeded in rescuing our country from the precipice and restore America's reputation as a beacon of freedom, justice, and yes - hope -- in the world.

Charlotte Dennett is a lawyer, professor, and author of the forthcoming The People v Bush: One Lawyer's Campaign to Bring the President to Justice and the National Grassroots Movement She's Encountered Along the Way. (Chelsea Green, January 2009)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sobering Yet Hopeful Recipe for a More Perfect Union, September 27, 2009
David Swanson's DAYBREAK is a very important book. David has thoughtfully put together and clearly laid out the deep problems in our government. He explores the current imbalances of power in the three branches of government, with emphasis on the overreaches of the Executive branch, and how these came about. DAYBREAK provides the reader with a cohesive understanding of the depth of the problem, from the overall lack of respect for the Constitution to the abdication of responsibility by the majority of those in the Congress. And he offers suggestions for fixing the problems and creating the more perfect union our forefathers hoped we would create. The book is highly readable and, for me, at once fascinating, enraging, terrifying, and motivating. Having read DAYBREAK, I am motivated to help mend our broken system of government and help restore democracy in our country.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you care about Democracy, September 2, 2009
Upon finishing this book last night, all I could think was if the citizens of our nation really believe in democracy and care about making it the center of our political life, then this is a must read book. All of Congress should read it. It also occurred to me that the Tea Party crowd should be invited to read this book since they have recently caught onto the idea that our Constitution and our democratic way of life is threatened. They just may find, and this will be a good thing, that our nation is threatened like they believe but for reasons other than they what they have been led to believe by the Right-wing echo chamber. This is an important work and Swanson has done us a service by his tireless advocacy for the rule of law.

5.0 out of 5 stars "'Daybreak's' Not Soon Enough!", August 31, 2009
Left the New Hampshire woods early yesterday to find an email from Amazon on my desktop in Washington last night: "Daybreak" has been shipped and will arrive in Woodmere tomorrow! Woodmere, New York. I've got to get to NY before the week is out; I've been waiting for months to read David Swanson's book!

Truth is, even in high school, I wouldn't write a review of a book I hadn't read. Back then, and in college, I only knew writers through their books (the writers I did know, studied with, argued with, drank with, hadn't been published yet). These are among the reasons I am so keen to read "Daybreak: Undoing the Imperial Presidency and Forming a More Perfect Union." I've read and continue to read David Swanson's writings regularly. I've corresponded and talked with David at length. Walked across DC with him, sat in cafes with him, sat-in congressional offices with him.

If walking-the-talk can be put in a book, I'm sure it's in "Daybreak."

If reading, writing, talking, walking, sitting down, and finally, standing up, are daily acts of democratic action, and indeed they are, we best begin at daybreak.

--zool Zulkowitz