Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Daydream
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: MP3 Music|Change
Price:$9.99

on February 6, 2000
I don't understand why some naysayers don't give Mariah the props she deserves. This is an artist who is not only an extraordinary singer but she also writes each and every one of her own songs, composes her music, produces her records, provides her own backing vocals and even takes part in directing her music videos. Unlike most "divas", Mariah is also one of the few artists who always sings "live" (unlike Celine, Janet or Madonna who use vocal tracks or lip synch in theirs concerts) when she performs. Can you get any more talented than this! Since her debut, Mariah Carey has sold nearly 130 million records (and counting!) worldwide.. more than any other (female) artist. And this feat she has accomplished in less than 10 years!
Daydream is one of the best albums in her career (followed by Butterfly) so far. My favorite tracks are Fantasy (both versions), Always Be My Baby, Open Arms, Melt Away, Forever, and I Am Free. But I love every single track on this album. One Sweet Day, Underneath The Stars, and When I Saw You plus Daydream, Long Ago and Looking In are also good songs. If you haven't purchased this album yet, go and get it as soon as you can because you don't know what you are missing. If you like this album you should love Butterfly.
One of my other Mariah favourites is Music Box but it has a more pop sound to it as opposed to R&B/Hip Hop. But they are all great albums.
55 comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
HALL OF FAMEon October 4, 2003
Daydream come true. I used to think Music Box was the best Mariah Carey album. However, I've been listening to this one more than ever, and realized that it's full of the songs I associate Mariah with, those sweet, caressing ballads that cover me like a warm blanket.
"Fantasy" after beginning with ethereal sounds, Mariah's haunting voice, and then that sweet piercing high note, then goes into a skippy thumping dance number overlaid with a sample of the Tom Tom Club's "Genius Of Love". It's an evolution from "Dreamlover", more upbeat, with better lyrics. This song is real, not just a sweet sweet fantasy. Interesting to see Mariah's co-musical collaborators--Tina Weymouth and Chris Franz of Talking Heads, and Adrian Belew.
"Underneath The Stars" is a slow R&B dance number with strong bass defining the tempo of the rhythm and its sweet and languid qualities.
OK, hands down, this is Mariah's best song ever, and I'm not saying this because it monopolized the Billboard charts for weeks. "One Sweet Day" is the zenith of the gospel-tinged Mariah ballad that set people tingling since "Vision Of Love" stormed on radio. This song makes "Vision" sound a raindrop, and like "Vision", is another religious song masquerading as a pop song, but the bittersweet thoughts of the chorus
Then comes a familiar opening lyric, "Lying beside you, here in the dark..." with that piano. Yes, it's written by Steve Pery and Jonathan Cain. But when Mariah sings those opening words to "Open Arms", it's got that silky, sultry touch, as if she's brushing my ear with her lips. Her voice rises to its smooth soulfulness when she sings the chorus. I could listen to this over and over, and it'd be something I'd want a prospective missus to give me in a mix tape. What a daydream, eh?
The swaying mid-tempo "Always Be My Baby" is another #1 song and another candidate for a possible love tape for me. It was produced by Jermaine Dupri, for which I give him credit. He also does "Long Ago".
"I Am Free" is another gospelish ballad, and after wandering through misery, she is free...to do what? "Free to live/free to laugh/free to soar/free to shine/free to give/free to love/free enough to fly." I need to paste that on my binder.
"When I Saw You" is another favourite here. rhythmically paced in 1,2,3,4 beat per syllable: "When I saw you (1234), When I Saw You (1234)/ I could not breathe (1234), I fell so deep (1234)" and Mariah's voice sounds so rich and potent here I find it irresisible
"Melt Away" sizzles with another low sultry opening vocal. Given that it is co-written by Babyface, its smooth R&B overtones is not surprising. The next one is another stunning ballad. The piano, strings lullaby "Forever" has Mariah loving someone despite their parting and vowing to return should he need her.
The R&B-techno of "Daydream Interlude" leads into the final ballad, which is more melancholy and might be a reflection of Mariah. "Looking In" basically says despite the world of fame and fantasy, "she smiles through a thousand tears" and "wades in insecurity."
So, many wonderful ballads, three of which I cherish so much, three other songs I'd want some girl to tape for me, that my heart nearly melted to tears. That may also be the reason why she made a drastic shift to guest rappers in Glitter three albums later. Still, this album is Mariah's masterpiece, songs that are kisses, tears, and hugs all at once.
on February 25, 2007
This is one of Mariah's best albums, no matter what other people may say. It's either Daydream, Music Box, or Butterfly in my opinion. Here's the list of the songs

Fantasy - Great, but I love the Bad Boy Mix of it better

Underneath The Stars - Love this song. It's like a stepper's cut/slow jam. Perfect song for those summer nights.

One Sweet Day - You gotta love the colaboration with Boyz 2 Men. It's a sad song, but I love it

Open Arms - The Journey cover. Love Mariah's version - it's more of an R&B ballad

Always Be My Baby - Love it, and always had.

I Am Free - It's okay. Not the best song on the album

When I Saw You - Great song! Another ballad with great lyrics

Long Ago - The hip-hop jam. It's a nice song

Melt Away - Love this song. Another great ballad - it's one of those rainy day songs

Forever - More like a doo-wop song. Great!!

Daydream Interlude (Fantasy Sweet Dub Mix) - Love it, even though it's a shorter version of the Fantasy Sweet Dub Mix. The full mix is 8 minutes long and way better than the edited version.

Looking In - Love the song. Anyone can relate to it - the final ballad from the CD.

Overall, if you love Mariah's ballads, you'll love this CD
44 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 23, 2003
Mariah Carey's sixth album Daydream was released in October 1995 and literally ruled the charts; topping the US chart for 10 weeks and selling more than 22 million copies worldwide - 14 million of that in the US alone. At the time Daydream was released, it was definitely Mariah's greatest album to date and contained some amazing singles - which is probably the prime reason the album did so well. Like Music Box, Daydream is very ballad-heavy but also has that superb hint of up-tempo material that blends so perfectly well to make such an excellent album.

Daydream begins with the superb lead single "Fantasy." The first single to be taken from Daydream, Fantasy is by far my all-time favourite Mariah Carey single. It topped the US chart for a lengthy 8 consecutive weeks and was the first-ever single to go straight in at No.1 by a female artist...just one of the many records Mariah has broken this past decade! The song just simply swings with its bouncy and pure pop theme. The bassline is deep and mysterious and that superb sample of the Tom Tom Club's "Genius Of Love" is unforgettable. Fantasy is one of those rare songs that still sounds as fresh today as it did back in 1995. "Underneath The Stars" is up next and is such an amazing mid-tempo ballad. The song is about young love and how good it feels to be in love for the first time - very innocent and cheeky. The song has a brilliant and catchy vocal arrangement in the verses and the bit where Mariah croons, "Weak in the knees" at the beginning of the second verse is very classy. Well, what can be said about "One Sweet Day" that hasn't been said before? The words phenomenal, mind-blowing, amazing and superb all spring to mind. This duet with Boyz II Men became Mariah's 8th US No.1, but what's even more amazing is that it topped the US chart for a record 4 MONTHS! Yes, this superb ballad topped the charts for 16 weeks and is officially the longest-running No.1 single in the history of the US singles chart - and deservedly so.

"Open Arms" is the song on track 4 and is another brilliant Mariah ballad, which peaked at No.4 in the UK. The verses are dramatic and the choruses are sweeping - and the lyrics? Don't even get me started on how superb they are! "Always Be My Baby" was the fourth and final single to be taken from this album and peaked at No.3 in the UK in June 1996. It was also Mariah's 10th US No.1 single - surprise, surprise! This superb mid-tempo ballad is very popular amongst Mariah fans, and it's easy to see why; the beat is warm, the verses are breathy and the choruses are catchy. "I Am Free" is another superb song, on the endless list of ballads. The lyrics are the most praise-worthy factor of this song, which give off strong suggestions of Mariah's relationship with her then-husband Tommy Motola. "When I Saw You" is a very emotional ballad with some tear-jerking lyrics. "Soft heavenly eyes gazed into me/Transcending space and time/And I was rendered still/There were no words for me to find at all/As I stood there beside myself/I could see you and no one else," croons Mariah in the first verse. The song builds up to a splendid climax towards the end, when Mariah just lets loose and warbles her heart out with that other-worldy voice.

"Long Ago" is an absolutely brilliant song, and is a welcome change from the ballads that previously set the scene for the majority of Daydream. This song has a very R'n'B feel to it, and is a strong indicator of the style Mariah would thrust herself into on her next album Butterfly. Infact, the song would sound perfect on Butterfly. The bassline is deep and sort of muffled and Mariah's vocals are strong and distinctive. "Melt Away" is another ballad from Mariah that is well above average. The song starts off sounding like Whitney Houston's Saving All My Love For You, but comes into its own when Mariah's vocals enter - Mariah's vocals are better than Whitney's aren't they?...Of course they are!

"Forever" is a rather unusual type of song from Mariah. It's obviously a ballad, but has a rather catchy beat to it - the vocal arrangement definitely helps this along. "Daydream Interlude - Fantasy Sweet Dub Mix" is quite different. This superb dance interlude of Fantasy is a welcome change of pace from the rest of Daydream. The beat is reminiscent of all those no-good one-hit wonders from the early 1990s, but is much more acceptable than that twaddle. "Looking In" is the perfect song to close Daydream and is a superb ballad about how Mariah addresses all those critics and haters who just see her as a rich girl with money to burn and a great pair of lungs. Mariah tells it like it is through superb sounds and emotive lyrical writing. Superb.

OVERALL GRADE: 9/10

Along with "Music Box," "Butterfly" and the excellent "Charmbracelet," I definitely consider Daydream an essential Mariah Carey album for your collection. The way the deep and sweeping ballads are integrated with the dashes of R'n'B, pop and dance makes for one of the most consistent albums of the decade.
on June 14, 2004
By this point, Mariah Carey has become one of the biggest acts in the music industry. This collection, however, shows the beginnings of the dowfall of Mariah. The Diva attitude started to come through. The mix of several producers starts to show the disjoint theme and arrangements throughout the CD. Her first 2 albums had a cohesiveness that this CD doesn't have.

However, there were some stand-out performances on this CD. "Fantasy" was a great revival of an obscure 80s song. Mariah's version is better than the 80s song. ONE SWEET DAY was a great collaboration with Boys II Men. "Open Arms" was a cover of an 80s ballad but this version doesn't have the type of umph found in the original.
on December 24, 2003
"Daydream" is the first album that Mariah experimented with a totally different sound, HipHop, and it is my favorite to date besides "Charmbracelet". Mariah has three number one singles from this album, "One Sweet Day", "Always Be My Baby, and she later teamed up with ODB for the remix of "Fantasy", which also went to number one. Other highlights on the album: "Underneath the Stars", "Long Ago", which she worked with Jermaine Dupri on, and "Melt Away", which she worked with Babyface on. The song that really disappoints me: "When I Saw You". I skip this song everytime. It lacks the formula Mariah usually uses. This album consists of R&B, a little bit of HipHop, and smooth ballads. Definetly go get it.
on June 24, 2013
Continuing my Mariah Carey Album track by track reviews.

Daydream is Mariah's 5th major studio album (excludes her MTV EP) and a fan favorite for good reason. Like Music box, most of the songs are slow or mid tempo, however around this time they start to get a more R&B flavor and the songs become more personal. Oh, and her voice sounds better than ever, that doesn't hurt.

1. Fantasy: Uptempo, nearly identical melodically to Dreamlover from her previous album, but with a breezier vibe. 9/10

2. Underneath the Stars: Mariah starts to sing with more whispery vocals in this album, and it works wonderfully in this intimate lyric-driven number. 9/10

3. One Sweet Day: Mariah collaborated with BoysIIMen and the result was a song that sat atop the charts for 16 straight weeks, a record! The song has some gospel as well as R&B influences. 9/10

4. Open Arms: A breathtaking cover of Journey's song. 10/10

11. Daydream Interlude: A club mix of Fantasy, pleasant but too short. 7/10

12. Looking In: Haunting, introspective, and personal. 9/10

Final Album Rating: 9.08
on April 20, 2008
After Music Box was released a couple years earlier, it did not seem Mariah Carey could have anymore huge releases. But despite the fact that it seemed her career peaked at that point, she topped herself again, with this, one of her best albums.

1. Fantasy- A fabulous uptempo track that is easy to escape in. A

2. Underneath The Stars- A beautiful love song that is simple, yet sweet. Makes you feel like a young teenager in love. A

3. One Sweet Day- This song got played to death in its day, and while it is a nice song, and very moving, I think the overplaying has made it more skip-worthy than a lot of tracks on here. It still gets an A-

4. Open Arms- Most of Mariah's albums have a cover song on them, and this is the one for here. It's a nice song, and one I did not know about until I first heard it on here, so as far as I know, this is the definitive version. A

5. Always Be My Baby- Another great song that just makes you escape in its sweet lyrics and lovely melody. A

6. I Am Free- Not my favorite track on here, but it's nice. It's about being single and being happy. It's not bad, but very forgettable. B-

7. When I Saw You- Not single material, but a very beautiful and moving love song. B+

8. Long Ago- I'm not fond of this song, mostly because it isn't very catchy or have an interesting melody. Not unpleasant, but forgettable. C+

9. Melt Away- A pretty duet with Babyface, where he more or less sounds like background vocals, this is still a great song. This is a love song for adults, especially with lyrics like "Everytime I see your face I go off." A-

10. Forever- Hands down my favorite track on here. Definitely not a "we're in love and happy song," but more of a fondly remembering a former love song, this is a song that really gets to you emotionally. If you want proof that Mariah can emote, listen. A

11. Daydream Interlude (Fantasy Sweet Dub Mix)- Like most interludes, you can skip over this and it won't ruin the flow, but it is still pleasant. B

12. Looking In- Lyrically, this is probably the most introspective song on here, which in retospect sounds like she is foreshadowing her impending divorce and reinvention to R&B goddess, but it is a song that can speak to lots of people. A-

This was Mariah Carey's last full-fledged pop album before becoming more focused on experimenting with her music. Nothing wrong with that, since a fair share of them are great albums in their own way, but if you want straight up pop music without complications, this is her best album.
on February 18, 2003
This is a very good album, and one that certaintly did not dissapoint.I don't think that it ranks among her best recordings, but it's a very consistent,satisfying record.This album was the perfect mix of pop/r n'b, and one that you couldn't really categorize.On this album, you can hear Mariah breaking out,from her all-american,diva style, and into something of her own.
1-Fantasy-This song is fun, and perfectly sung.But the remix is way better.It gives the song more edge, and makes it more distinctive.
2.Underneath The Stars-A more personal song, telling a simple story about a romance Mariah once had.The lyrics paint a picture in your head and the whole song is just very sweet and relaxing.It's a song about love, but one that doesn't fall under the adult contemporary genre.
3. One Sweet Day, feat Boyz II Men-Can you say BIG HIT?All the hype aside, I think it's just a lovely song, with a great chorus, and a nice blend of vocals.
4.Open Arms-Originally, this song was done by Journey.But, I don't know how anyone can top this.Her voice completely soars in the chorus.Beautiful.
5.Always Be My Baby-A really fun up-beat song that always puts me in a good mood.It's definately one of Mariah's more memorable up-tempos.
6.I Am Free-A gospel-ly tune which sounds like something from emotions.It's a really nice song, but her voice isn't in it's best form here.
7.When I Saw You-One of those hoplessely romantic songs that sounds like it could belong in a movie.It's really pretty.
8.Long Ago-A faster song, which up to that point was the most r n'b Mariah had gone.It's ok,but it doesn't add anything to the record, and could've easily been left off.
9.Melt Away-A really sweet song with Babyface written all over it(he did collaborate on the song, so that explains it).Even though there have been a million songs like this done before(especially the chorus)I do enjoy listening to it, especially when I want to chill.
10.Forever-This song is beautiful.There's a bit of a 50's edge to it, and I love the backup singers on the bridge of the song.Everything about this song works.
11.Daydream Interlude(Fantasy Sweet Dub Mix)-There's really no point to it.It's like a club/dance version of "Fantasy", except, it's the length of an interlude.
12.Looking In-This song alone is worth the entire cd.It has one of the saddest, most beautiful tunes I've ever heard, and some of the best, most deepest lyrics Mariah has written.
This album isn't anything groundbreaking, but it certaintly is a really well put-together recording, and one of the best additions to both pop and r n'b throughout the 90's.
on July 17, 2005
This is probably one of the best CD's that she made. I like all the songs on this record. It contains many many ballads and they're all very good. I've bought this cd about a 4 months ago and I've played it almost every day. This CD is a classic, you'll never get tired of it. This is Mimi's best-selling record to date. Maybe "The Emancipation of Mimi" could do better, but it will be hard.

My favorite tracks are:

1) Fantasy: this is such a beautiful song, MC sounds really good in this uptempo song

2) One Sweet Day: this song was a huge hit and it still sounds so good after all these years.

3) Looking In: she sings this song so good, it's the best ballad on this cd

4) Open Arms: a very beautiful song, great lyrics

5) Always Be My Baby: this song makes me happy

The other songs on "Daydream" are so so good. I will listen to "Daydream" for many years to come. It's worth your money!!