Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on October 6, 2013
I have been tough on "so-called" cookbooks that feature a couple of dozen recipes or less. You can't call it a book when you can read through the whole thing in less than a half hour.

Ms. Petersen gives us a legitimate real life full book here. What is more she has taken slow cookers to new heights of cooking. I had no idea you could make breads or cakes in a slow cooker. I honestly learned things here after spending 40 years cooking.

Now this cookbook is VERY BASIC with little cooking skill needed. Now although the recipes are basic, they combine good ingredients that will appeal to most appetites. Most of the ingredients are simply toss in and cook.

It is also a full cookbook featuring recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner and desserts.
My only problem with the breakfast recipes is that most of them require 2-3 hours of cook time. What mom is going to get up that much earlier than her family to put the breakfast on. On the other hand these recipes definitely work for BRUNCH.

The food photography is better than average featuring pleasant bokeh (this means that the dish is in focus but the background is blurry, it makes for great food photography) My only complaint about this is that there were not nearly enough pics. With e books there is no additional cost to add photos and I encourage her to add more pics to the book. That is another advantage of e books, they can be modified with no cost and improved.

Kudos maam, I am impressed and the .99 cents is highly undervalued. I would have gladly paid $2.99 for the book
on January 1, 2013
This book is gorgeous! It's one of the best looking slow-cooking cookbooks I've come across. I was very excited my library had it so I could preview it in person before purchasing it. There is a huge array of things to make and I love the spiral covered binding - top notch! Ms. Petersen has several pages of tips and hints in the front of the book which I found very helpful even tho I'm a seasoned slow-cooker user. I love that there are color photos throughout the book. It's helpful for me to see the finished product. In a perfect would there would be a photo of everything, but I realize that would drive up the cost of producing such a book. My only qualm, and the reason I gave the book 4 stars instead of 5, is because none of the photos are labeled. Some are very obvious what they are, others I'm not so sure about. Overall, a very nice slow-cooking cookbook!
on October 20, 2013
Sorry I wasted my 99¢ on the Kindle edition--No chapters, no table of contents. No way to view the recipes except thumbing through one page at a time. Frustrating process beneath Amazon's standards...looks like possibly good recipes but too tedious to look!
on December 9, 2012
This is the best slow-cooker cookbook I have. It has recipies from appetizers to desserts and they are not complicated. I bought this for my three daughters also, as they use their slow-cookers frequently, and they love it and use it as least once a week. Everything I have made has been a success.
on October 26, 2013
Th original form of this book had a Table of Contents and some good recipes. It was clunky to find things but I just bookmarked recipes I liked. The update took The Table of Contents away. There is no way to access a recipe except for paging through the entire book. Makes it quite useless!!
on October 8, 2013
This book is not kindle friendly! Hence 99 cents price. Buyer beware. There may be something in it worthwhile, if you can find it.
on October 10, 2013
I bought this book for $1, and in terms of helping me understand cooking times and procedures for using a slow cooker, the book will be useful. However, many many of the recipes utilize processed foods such as canned soups, dried spices and commerical mixes, and this is not how I want to eat or cook. I will be seeking out another book that utilizes fresh and unprocessed foods. I think you can still cook simply and easily if you go with fresh ingredients, it just takes more time to plan out your menu and have the food on hand.
on March 3, 2013
Was looking for something to save time for dinner during the week. We have tried several recipes and love them all
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 22, 2014
Author Karen Bellessa Petersen's cookbook 365 Days of Slow-Cooking is a creatively written cookbook filled with slow cooker recipes that are unique and different. Most slow cooker cookbooks contain the usual stews, chillies and pot roast recipes. Yes, you will find these recipes in her cookbook but you will also find recipes for chicken, pasta, appetizers and desserts. There are a couple minor drawbacks to her cookbook though:

1. No interactive table of contents. You will have to search or bookmark your favorite recipes to find them easily.

2. Her recipe for Stuffed Shells has a typo. The recipe calls for "1.8 jumbo pasta shells". Does she mean 18 shells or some other measurement?

3. The recipe No-Defrost Chicken uses frozen chicken breasts. The USDA and most slow cooker manufacturers say to NOT use frozen foods in your slow cooker. You need to defrost the ingredients first. This is a food safety issue according to the USDA as the frozen food may not heat up fast enough placing the food in the danger zone.

4. Apple Butter: It would have nice if the author had included canning directions with her Apple Butter recipe. She did not. She writes "Freeze in pint-sized containers or pour into hot sterilized jars and seal".

You will find plenty of tasty and varied recipes in her cookbook. Some of those recipes include:

Baked Oatmeal
Shredded Chicken Salad
Taco Soup
Broccoli Cheese Soup
Lime Coconut Soup
Apple Peanut Crumble (My mother used to make a similar recipe from the Crockery Cookery cookbook by Mabel Hoffman)
Low-Fat Carrot Cake
Cranberry Rice Pudding
Hot Fudge Pudding Cake

Recommend with caveats given.

MR
on January 18, 2014
This book is unusable in the Kindle edition (and perhaps in the paperback, but I haven't seen that). There is no table of contents. There is no index. Just one recipe after another, spread over multiple pages. The whole thing is more than 3000 unusable pages! I really want my $1.99 back!