Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

70%
30%

on October 17, 2010
These two records ( from 1975 & 76 ) mark ARS' artistic peak. " Champagne Jam " followed and was their biggest commercial success, but it was downhill from there. This is southern boogie that is well-written and head and shoulders above Lynyrd Skynyrd or their contemporaries. Revisit ARS at their best with this pair of records well mastered and dropped onto one CD.
on March 8, 2010
If you're looking for a reminder of how great the Atlanta Rhythm Section was, start with this CD. The first album Dog Days wasn't quite as good as I remember, but I needed some of those songs for the car, like Boogie Smoogie & Dog Days. The songs Bless My Soul & Silent Treatment are an excellent prelude to the album Red Tape, which is why I bought this CD. There's not a bad song on this album, & half of them I remember from the radio when it was out. Heck, not just when it was out--I heard Another Man's Woman playing on a bookstore's sound system outside & realized I had to have that album now. Listen to Oh What a Feeling or Mixed Emotions & try to get that song out of your head. A Top 20 album of all time, at least one of the Top 20 Underrated albums of all time.
on June 3, 2012
It's very nice to see many of the classic ARS albums from the 1970s being released as "two-for" packages, and these two albums are among the band's very best. I used to prefer "Dog Days", and still like that one a lot, but the excellence of "Red Tape" has grown over time in my estimation. Atlanta Rhythm Section enjoyed a few crossover hits in the mid to late 1970s, but they were far from a mainstrem Top 40 act. Because of their name, they were usually confined to the "Southern Rock" category by many critics, but the band was comprised of very talented musicians who could deftly play a variety of musical styles. And the songs on these two albums provide ample of evidence of ARS's impressive musical dexterity. They could do sweet country-rock tunes, more uptempo pop-rock songs, gritty boogie-blues numbers, instrumentals with a jazz vibe, and even swerve into some lively western swing (see their Bob Wills tribute "Jukin'/San Antonio Rose" on "Red Tape"). Really, this was a great band who never got the proper raves or respect they deserved. Ronnie Hammond's vocals were always a strength too, capable of crooning melodic rockers like "Crazy" and "Free Spirit", or belting out more bluesy rockers like their cover of "Another Man's Woman." Two outstanding albums on a single disc; great value for the wallet and for expanding your musical mind!
on July 24, 2012
Atlanta Rhythm Section had a few main-stream hits, but those captured only a small portion of how talented these guys were.

Former studio musicians, they knew how to put together a track,
layering instruments, contrasting starkness against full throttle musical climaxes, alternating raw screaming leads with catchy, ear-wig guitar melody hooks. Oh yes, on top of it all,
GREAT song writing. (can't forget that they are one of only a
few groups that could make bass solos interesting! thanks, Paul, RIP)

I believe these are probably their two strongest albums, great
as a starting sampler of their styles, or a reminder of how
good they really were. I disagree with some of other reviews,
and maintain the 'Dogs Days' tracks were pretty much on par with
the 'Red Tape' selections.

I'm not sure how much remastering went on, but these tracks
are NOT super compressed using "get-it-as-loud-as-you-can" technology, but have the soft-to-loud dynamics preserved. They really put you back into a listening-to-an-album mood.

So what are waiting for? Close this dumb review, and buy the CD!
on November 11, 2013
I have enjoyed their music for years but did not have a CD. This one fit the bill and had all the songs that I wanted. I got to know ARS from Radio Margaritaville. Great group!

The case arrived in many little pieces, but the CD was not damaged. I found another case to replace this one. I think it was packed broken as the rest of the packaging was in pristine condition. QC needs to be a bit more careful at the Amazon warehouse.
on January 1, 2014
Glad they re-released these albums, because you can't find or download some of the songs off of them (not on iTunes or Amazon).

Police ! Police ! was a surprise for me - I enjoyed it ! Other songs are great, also !

Really wanted an ARS T-shirt which apparently the band doesn't license for sale, but really really wanted an ARS Champagne Jam T-shirt that I had years - bought from merchandise card that was included in the original LP album. Cannot find anywhere so I settled for the Dog Days/Red Tape cd :-).
on August 14, 2014
I was looking for Dog Days for a long time, having not heard it since vinyl was it. Plus the Red tape album had a few gems too. Nice find. Even iTunes did not have these. People are missing out on some good ol R n B
on January 28, 2015
Every serious Atlanta Rhythm Section fan should own this CD. Both CDs hold up very well over the years. "Dog Days" is essential. I think it's the finest work ARS has ever done. Songs like "Boogie Smoogie," "It Just Ain't Your Moon" and "Silent Treatment" represent some of the best instrumental work they ever laid down. The ballads are killer, too; the title track and "All Night Rain" are quite smooth. I recommend this highly.
on August 13, 2012
I have been looking for this on cd for my wife. She's thrilled to have it & is enjoying listening to music she hasn't been able to listen to for awhile. For us, gone are the days of 8 tracks, 45 & 33 lp's & even cassettes. So glad we can listen to the music of our youth on cd's today. Thanks.
Sincerely,
RRL & RRSL
on June 26, 2013
My husband and I both love this CD. He asked me to find it and I did so I surprised him with it. He hasn't switched to a different CD yet. Brings us back to our youth! Arrived on time and excellent condition.