Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ticket To Ride
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on April 17, 2013
The game itself is OK. It's simple and easy to explain, and there are some interesting interactions. I do enjoy the geography aspect of it.

My first complaint is the game play seems a little too slow. In our games, we probably all spend around 10 - 15 turns at the beginning just taking cards, building up massive hands that are difficult to hold and sort. Taking train cards 2 at a time, with 8 different colors, it just takes such a long time to get the 5 cards of one color you want to start laying track. It seems like the 5 face up cards quickly get to being 5 cards that no one wants, so they just sit there unused for the most part. People build up massive hands because they are hesitant to reveal where they are going until they can build multiple routes at once, for fear of starting, then getting blocked.

My second complaint is that the plastic train pieces are cheap and too light. Because they are so small and light, they are a little difficult for an adult to manipulate. I would have much preferred painted wooden pieces like the roads in Settlers or the pieces in Agricola. These plastic train pieces just give an overall below average tactile experience.
on January 19, 2005
This is a great game. If your paragon of boardgames is still Monopoly, then you are in for a pleasant surprise. Far superior games are now available. There is a quiet revolution in boardgaming happening right now.

Ticket to Ride is one of the best of these new games. My wife and I love this game. It is very engaging, and pretty short. It gets tense toward the end. It plays well with 2 players as well as 3 to 5 players. It's also great for kids, to teach the geography of the US. This game won the coveted Game of the Year award (the German "Spiel des Jahres" award) for 2004, and it certainly deserves it.

Note: There is a possibility for some competitive, cutthroat playing but we don't play it that way.

If you like this game, also check out these others, which are also listed on Amazon:

Settlers of Catan

Carcassonne
on November 9, 2005
THis game only got 4 due to the luck factor. No matter how well you play, you could just draw bad cards everytime. That is it. Other than that, this is a wonderful, wonderful game. This IS the perfect game to get people into Eurogames like Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne. Easy to explain - 5 minutes tops. Fast to play - 1 hour. Good strategy. Good theme. You even feel like you are being educated at least a little bit in the area of US geography.

Bottom Line: Best family board game in existance. Anyone can learn to play it relatively quickly.
on December 12, 2004
This deserves its Game of the Year award at this year's Spiele. I think it's the best intro to the "European" or "Family Strategy" board game category since Settlers of Catan. It's less complex than Monopoly, takes less than an hour to play generally, and teaches a little geography to boot. Like most games in the category it does not suffer from the 'behind the eight ball' syndrome and become boring if you're losing. Players usually are running neck and neck up until the final moves.

If you're a gamer and haven't checked out some of the great new board games that have appeared over the last decade, this is a perfect introduction.
on April 17, 2006
Like most of the "classic" games (Risk, Monopoly, etc.), this game is relatively easy to learn and has that elusive perfect combination of strategy and luck that makes it so much fun to play. There are also several different legitimate strategies you can use, which always makes for a more interesting game. Unlike Risk and Monopoly, though, it doesn't take a week to play -- more like an hour. This game works well with lots of different ages and groups and is almost as much fun to play with two players as it is with four or five. This is my new favorite game!
on August 12, 2006
My daughters (ages 8, 8, and 7) beg me every weekend to play this game. It is the right level for them: complex enough to be challenging, but not hard enough to discourage. And I am glad they are learning some American and Canadian geography along the way!
on January 28, 2016
I'm hesitate to post this because it seems so many get flak for anything that isn't a glowing review. I have looked at this game for a very long time to purchase for my family but always held off because of the price. I got a good deal and finally went for it for Christmas this year and was super excited. The box is gorgeous so I guess I was expecting a little more when I opened it. The game board is okay but again I suppose I just thought it would be something special with the box art being so great. Then there are the little train pieces that just don't seem to look right with the board. I get that they have to be different colors but I don't know it just wasn't what I was expecting. If the game had been thirteen dollars I wouldn't have any issue but I paid quite a bit more for it.

As far as the game play once again it wasn't what I expected. I always read such great reviews and together with the artwork I imagined this game to be much more than it was. I won't go into to specifics but it was just so different than what I anticipated. The box looks like it promises adventure and a spirit of excitement and for us it just didn't turn out that way. I know that tons of people adore this game so maybe we just don't know what we are doing or maybe it just wasn't my family's cup of tea. I cannot get anyone to play it again to give it another shot so that is pretty telling to me. I have all different ages in my family and this didn't keep anyone's interest. Even though I did get a deal the game was still expensive as far as games go so I really want to give it a few more shots before it continues to collect dust. Hopefully once that happens I will have a happy update.
on October 20, 2006
This is my favorite game of all time. This is the kind of game my family and i love to play at our beach house every morning. It's a great family game. Really for no one over mabye seven. I recomend this to any family who loves a great game to play with the whole family.
on December 15, 2014
Just try not to like it, I dare you. Blessed with an easy rule set, fun presentation, and the fact that everyone is in the game right up to the end, Ticket to Ride is one of best games I have ever played. Luck, strategy, and the ability to screw over your friend & loved ones. This is the game that should replace those moldy old family game night staples like Monopoly.
It may not keep the kids off their phones, but it can make them forget about it for an hour.
on December 23, 2013
This game was recommended on multiple websites, so I asked some friends if they'd played it. All who have played this before said it is a great game and I agree after playing myself. If you like strategy games this has an easy learning curve without being too complicated to master. Each game takes about an hour to play. The way it works is each player picks three cards at random. Each card has a mission like the game Risk. You have to connect train cars from one destination to the next depending on your mission. The game board has multiple routes to each destination. There are 5 face up draw piles and one face down pile to choose cards from. On your turn you pick 2 cards from the face up piles or the face down pile unless you choose to pick a wild card from the face up piles and if so, you only get that one card.(if you draw a wild card from the face down pile you still can pick another card) There is no maximum hand size. The goal is to create matches using the different colors available. Depending upon your mission you may have no options to use some colors, or you may have multiple options to use some colors. Each turn you may play train cars or draw cards, but not both. The object is to create color matches of two, three, four, five and six cars, play those combinations in connection with your other train cars to create a contiguous line of train cars until you connect your departure point with your destination point. More strategy is involved when you have the option to block another player's route, so the more players the better. The game ends when a player has three or less cars left in their inventory.