5.0 out of 5 stars Like Risk, but 100x more fun
Remember Risk? Remember how fun it was to attack your opponents' armies and take over their land? Remember how that fun lasted for a while and then, several hours later, you'd hunker down in the corner of Australia, waiting for the game to mercifully end?

Published on April 15, 2010 by Sandor Weisz

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't resell this one fast enough!
Published on August 8, 2011 by Kathy

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Risk, but 100x more fun, April 15, 2010
This review is from: Small World (Toy)

Small World is the answer to that. It takes all the good parts of Risk and repackages it in a clever construct with a beautiful design. The premise here is that instead of simply having armies compete to take over territory, players control races, each with their own special set of powers. The powers give you the ability to, say, attack lands more powerfully, or defend them more toughly. What makes it fun is that these powers are embodied by various races -- e.g. Dwarves, Amazons, Giants, Tritons -- each represented by colorful, gorgeously drawn tokens, and each with a special power. Because the races and powers are randomly combined at the beginning of the game, each game is different than the last and requires a completely new strategy.

STRENGTHS:

* Variety of strategy. This is requirement number one for any game that's going to hold my interest over time. If it's too "solvable", then the challenge of playing the game quickly diminishes after just a few games. Because the possible power-race combinations number in the thousands, it's unlikely any two games will ever be the same.
Interaction. Requirement number two. So many board games these days involve four people tending to their own pieces, playing their own separate games. You can't do that in Small World and expect to win. You have to both a) be very aware of the other players' movements, and b) be ready to attack them without mercy.
* Design. Days of Wonder puts out some of the best-looking games out there. Lots of little visual flourishes make interacting with the pieces and board that much more enjoyable.
* It scales. There are actually four boards in the box: one for each number of players (2 to 5). This makes the game board perfectly balanced, no matter the player count.
* It's relatively quick. A two- or three-person game will take about an hour. A four- or five-person game less than 90 minutes.

WEAKNESSES:

* There are a LOT of pieces. This presents a few problems: it takes a few minutes to set the game up; you'll be screwed if you lose a piece (they don't include extra player tokens); and if you buy one of the expansions, you'll have a hard time fitting it into the box, because it's a very snug (though well-designed) fit as it is. Not sure how they could have gotten around this without making the game pricier.
* There are a lot of small rules. This is a byproduct of having dozens of races and powers -- each has to have a paragraph of explanation in the rulebook. Each player gets a cheatsheet for quick reference, but it can seem a little overwhelming at first. Again, not sure how they could have avoided that, and they did a good job making the text quick and to the point.
* It can take a few games to get the hang of how it flows. Not really a weakness; just a reason to play the game more.

CONCLUSION

If you're ready to move past Risk, and you're ready to take on a little nerdery (hello, Berserk Goblins and Forest Elves) in your games, pick up a copy of Small World. The best part may be that it's highly expandable, evidenced by the two expansion packs already available, each with a number of new races and powers. With a foundation as solid as this, it should take a long time for it to grow old.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Multi-Game Comparison, July 20, 2011
Ade the DBA (Tahlequah, Oklahoma) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Small World (Toy)
Plenty of people have done an admirable job of explaining the games in their reviews, so this is instead an attempt at a comparison between a number of games, the pros and cons of each and which may suit different people best. The games in question are: Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan, Castle Panic, Smallworld, and Forbidden Island.

We have had Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne (with a number of expansion packs) for quite a few years now, and only recently added the other games above. We usually either play just as two adults, or with our two older children (age 9 and 8), and so our conclusions are based on how these games work in those settings. So here's what we've found:

Settlers of Catan
We got this around the same time as Carcassonne and initially just didn't latch onto it. Partly it's that it's supposed to be 3 players or more, and we often play as just two of us. Once we found online some instructions for playing as 2 players it came out more often, and as time's gone by it's become fairly 50-50 whether we play Settlers or Carcassonne on a quiet night in. The choice will usually depend on how much we want to think. With Settlers, you're always planning and calculating; with Carcassonne, you're taking it a card at a time.

Who should get it: Settlers is well-known as one of the great modern games. I'm not as sold on it as some people, and it takes quite a while to learn and feel comfortable with, but once you get the hang of it, it is an entertaining and enjoyable addition to a games collection. There are several 2-player rule variations out there if you need them and they work well (we found one that worked for us and we've stuck to it). But this isn't a game for kids; I would suspect not until they're 16 or so. Amongst other things, I think they'll find it too dull.

Carcassonne
This has been a favorite for years now, and everyone we've played it with has gone off to get it themselves. We usually play without farms because it then becomes less directly competitive and more sociable. Kids can play it, adults can play it, it's relaxed, it's fun and it's simple to learn. Here's one nice thing about it: you don't have to be constantly thinking and planning ahead. You don't know what card you're going to draw next time, so you just play one card at a time. You're encouraged to discuss where to put a card, and since you don't know what piece you're getting next, your comments to another player are usually pretty unbiased.

Who should get it: In my experience, pretty much anyone, except those who want ultra-competitive games. The first few expansion packs are also well worth getting, but don't bother with anything from Mayor onward.

Castle Panic
The kids love this one, again it's simple to learn and it has the added bonus of allowing them to get out their aggressive instincts and go postal on monsters! They don't like the `master slayer' option, but prefer just straight cooperative play. After the first few plays, I've found the basic game is too easy, and so we're experimenting with making it more challenging, such as starting with no walls, or drawing 3 monster cards at a time instead of 2. I think Castle Panic will become a game that we get out pretty regularly to play.

Who should get it: People with kids, who want to play cooperative games. Could be fun as a party game too!

Smallworld
While the kids have enjoyed playing this, I think their interest is starting to wane already. I suspect it will work better as a game with a group of adults, or when the kids are older. It has a lot going for it, especially the creative cards and board, but as others have noted - what's with the box for the tokens? Very poorly designed and adds unnecessary annoyance. Most of the time when playing we've found it's not too directly competitive, it's easier to attack lost tribes or declining races, so generally it doesn't get too personal!

Who should get it: I think this would make a fun addition to a games collection, but I don't think it would be a go-to game, especially with kids. The rules are more complicated to learn and explain than the other games, and this makes it hard to just sit down with new players and get on with a game. Having said that, we've enjoyed playing it , and I think it'll get pulled out every now and then over the years.

Forbidden Island
Although the kids would prefer Castle Panic, when we've played Forbidden Island (at my insistence!) they've thoroughly enjoyed it. As the island starts to collapse in a heap toward the end of the game, the tension levels rise and people are on the edge of their seats! The game always ends with voices rising in pitch and tension as cards get turned over - it's fun! It's a pure cooperative game, and that works well for us as a family - no one feels bad, we're all in it together. We're still using the `Normal' level of play, maybe we'll notch up a level soon!

Who should get it: If you like cooperative games, I think this is excellent to have. I love how easy it is to set different difficulty levels, and it's definitely the game that's had the most excited tension - Castle Panic has this at times, but not sustained (at least as the basic game). It doesn't have the whole monster thing going for it that Castle Panic does, and I think that's why the kids haven't latched onto it so quickly (kill trolls or wander round an island getting treasure - which is your average kid going to choose?) but I suspect that long-term it'll have more staying power.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of fun! A twist on War Games., September 27, 2009
This review is from: Small World (Toy)
My husband and I bought this on a whim - we'd gone to our local game store to pick up Settler's Of Catan because we'd played that recently with friends and liked it. However, this caught our eye, and we bought it instead! I was drawn the cover art, I'll admit!
We brought it to a friend's place to play after dinner. It took a while to get a hang of the way the game is supposed to work and the dynamics of each round, but after a few turns, we were able to get it all figured out.
I really liked all aspects of this game - the 'Risk' aspect of trying to take over the map, the fantasy aspect of the characters, and the unique way the game's races are developed. Every game you play will be different due to how things are set up!
My only complaint is with the tray the Race Tokens are stored in... it was pretty hard for me (who has small fingers, even) to get the tokens in and out of the little squares they are supposed to go in. Especially when some were in use and the remaining ones would fall forward.
Overall, I'm really happy that we got this game, I'm looking forward to sharing it with other people!

4.0 out of 5 stars Small World is fun, fast and great for the non-gamer, October 31, 2009
This review is from: Small World (Toy)
Small World is a fantasy combat/civilization game from Days of Wonder. Small World was designed by Philippe Keyaerts whom many of you may remember was the designer of Vinci.

Players take control of one of the many available fantasy races. All the fantasy races of common lore are available (orcs, dwarves, elves, etc). Players gain victory points primarily by controlling spots on the board. The player with the most points is the winner.

Each race has a starting force allotment, usually around 4 to 6. Players take this allotment and strive to take as much land as possible with it. The force allotments are printed on durable cardboard tiles. To claim a territory, a player must place more 1 more force there than that which defends it. The losing player retains all his lost forces save one. Thus, there is a slow but fairly steady attrition in the game.

When a player believes his chosen race can serve him no more, he may elect to go into decline. His race on the board is flipped over. The player still scores points for this race but he may not expand with them. Play continues until the final round is played. The amount of rounds is dictated by the amount of players. The player with the most points is winner.

Small World has a lot going for it. There are two boards and each is double sided. The different boards are used for different amounts of players. The game is nicely tweaked for various amounts of players from 2 to 5. This is such an elegant feature, that this alone deserves 1*!

Small World is also quick to learn. Pretty much what I stated above is how to play. Sure, there are few more minor rules but they are intuitive if you grasped what I wrote above.

Small World also has a great deal of diversity. In addition to the various races, there are various traits. Each race starts with a random trait. The traits are characteristics like, "merchant", or "hill". These characteristics could give a bonus to your force allotment, give you extra victory points for controlling certain spots on the board, or give you an attack or defense bonus. This is so elegant and innovative that this too deserves 1*!

Small world is great for the non-gamer. As a gateway game, it's ranked #2 in book--second only to FFG's Kingsburg. It's a fairly quick game and has a minimal learning curve--all the requirements for a gateway game.

The only reason I don't give Small World a full 5***** is because it's a little bit shallow compared to games I give 5 stars to. The game is fun but it's not the type of game that will really scratch your gaming itch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Game Marred by Slow Turns, May 24, 2009
Joel Smith (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Small World (Toy)
My game group played this recently and although I enjoyed my experience with Small World, I'm not aching to replay it like I do with other board games. Overall, Small World is a fun game. A little action, a little randomness, some important decision making, excellent flavor, but also a little bit on the slow side.

The game itself isn't that long of a game. Our first game, even with all of the rules lookups took only about 2 hours (which is a little big long) but I think on future plays, an average game would take about 45-70 minutes.

The gameplay is fairly simple here, but be prepared to look up a lot of rules throughout the game on your first play. A series of races with special powers are placed on the table. Players choose a race and power, and then proceed to conquer various areas on the board. At the end of their turn, each area currently occupied by that player scores a point. That player may earn additional points based on his special ability. Then the next player goes and so on. At some point, a player decides that he can progress no further with his race (generaly either because it'd be hard/impossible to expand, or because it'd be hard to defend his position), and sets them in decline. The player now chooses a new race and special ability, and as a bonus, collects points on any territories that his race still controls at the end of his next turn.

After a set number of turns, the game ends and whoever has the highest point total wins. Simple enough.

The problem with this game comes in the fact that a turn is fairly long--about 1 to 2 minutes for each player, and when it's another player's turn, there's precisely nothing for you to do, but watch. You can't work on your strategy too much, because the board changes a lot in any given round, and players actions may affect your standing on the board, but you can't react to it at all. All of this makes small world feel a little longer than it needs to be. Still a fun game, but a bit on the boring side.

Average Game Length: 45-70 minutes
Turn length: about 1-2 minute per player, about 40-50 turns per game.
Minimum age: probably about 8. Some minor rules may require some assistance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game to get non gamers into, July 20, 2009
This review is from: Small World (Toy)
I am an avid gamer, mostly strategy and RPG, and this game was a great purchase. I was able to get some friends to play, that normally would not play this type of board game. It is light hearted and easy to get into. There is enough strategy, that a real gamer will appreciate, but also it is not too in depth that it will frustrate a non gamer. Overall, I would recommend this with 5 stars and will be purchasing multiple copies for friends and family members. Great job Days Of Wonder!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't resell this one fast enough!, August 8, 2011
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Small World (Toy)
First of all, I apologize to all of you who love this game. I just happen to be one who finds it boring and we're all entitled to our opinions. After reading MUCH about this game, both here and on boardgamegeek, I realize part of my problem might be due to the fact that our games were all 2 or 3 player. I've heard it said that 4 is the number that makes the magic happen.
My husband, 26 y.o. son, and I are the usual players. We tried to like this game. We really did. But it just seemed repetitive and fiddly with little payoff. The best thing about this game is the artwork and the quality. Other people have described the terribly exasperating storage for the armies but I do hear that is remedied in some of the expansions.
The games we love the best 3 player are: Ticket To Ride w/1910 expansion, Stone Age, Macao (omg what fun!), RA, Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers, Survive Escape from Atlantis, Pandemic. For 2 players we love: Jaipur, Jambo, Odin's Ravens, Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers, Battle Line, Lost Cities, Balloon Cup. Bohnanza is fun for more players but still good with 3 and though a totally different game with 2 we enjoy that, too. Besides Smallworld, both Dominion and Zooloretto flopped with us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Time With an Awesome Game, January 4, 2010
Stephen (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Small World (Toy)
After reading some of the other reviews I war really excited to receive this game, and was not disappointed! The game is much what you would expect from the cover. Players take on common fantasy races (elves, giants, wizards, halflings, trolls, etc.) with various special powers and abilities (dragons, heros, flying,...) and duke it to be top dog of piece of land much too small to contain everybody.

The rule book explained everything fairly clearly, I'd say it takes maybe 15 minutes to read and digest it all. The theme is great, and leads to some really enjoyable artwork. The randomly drawn combination of powers and races make the game fun and different every time. There are two things, in my opinion, that makes this game really shine though: 1) There are different sized boards for different number of player, which keeps the world feeling cramped and basically forces people to attack each other (which is where all the fun is) and 2) If your current race gets beaten down too harshly, or over extended you can easily give it up for another race and get back in the game. In fact, this is half the fun. Over the course of a normal game you get to try at least 2 to 3 different races. This really keeps people from feeling too bad when they get attacked, because they can just try another race.

I'd give this game an easy A+. I have over a dozen games in my collection (Settlers of Catan, Dominion, Puerto Rico, etc.) and I foresee this getting the most play time out of all of them for a while. It's great both for hard-core gamers and to entice new people into gaming. If you think you might like it, you're probably right!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great strategy and huge replay value, February 2, 2010
This review is from: Small World (Toy)
First of all, know that you are getting a very durable product. I was very impressed when I opened the box to see how durable all the little pieces are. They have even provided a tray so you can store all the pieces in an organized way, making game setup and game play go very smooth without wondering where certain pieces are.

I feel that this game is so much deeper than what many may initially think. While the rules are very simple, it all comes down to your strategy. With the huge possibilities of Race/Special Power combinations, every game will be different. Will you take your army out and spread them thin just to get a lot of points during your turn, or will you hold back and play conservatively so you won't have to use up a turn going In Decline (which results in no points that turn)? Or maybe you can just go out and completely decimate your opponent and force them to go In Decline with their Race. The point it, with all the possible combinations of Races and Special Powers, it will be a whole new game every time you play it! And to top it off, it's great for 2, 3, 4, or 5 players.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, accessible game with great replay value, August 3, 2010
This review is from: Small World (Toy)
Days of Wonder has done it again with Small World. If you're looking for a fairly fast-paced game with little randomness and significant versatility, Small World is the one for you.

Short Version:

The game consists of a few basic mechanics. You choose from a group of starting "races" ("races" is a strange word for them, but I guess that's what they are - ghouls, ogres, orcs, ratmen, gnomes, elves, etc.) and "professions" (merchant, diplomat, plunderer, etc.). You don't have total freedom in choosing, though; the "races" that are available (only a few of the couple dozen are available at a time) are already paired up with particular professions. The races and professions have particular benefits built-in like they're better defenders or they can take secret underground passages on the map or they benefit from conquest, and so on. You then place units on a board divided up into territories and score points based on how many territories you have and your racial/profession bonuses. When you're placing units, you can choose to place them in territories containing opponent's units (in which case you have to place more units there than the opponent has placed). After several turns, the game ends and whoever has the most points wins. The game potentially changes each time you play because different races and profession combos can lead to slightly different strategies.

More Info:

There are a lot of race and profession combos that can come up in Small World. After you've controlled a particular race/profession combo for a while you send that race/profession into decline/recession and pick a new race/profession combo from those available. Your in-recession units are still on the board, scoring you some points, but you mainly are focused on your newly-chosen race/profession combo. The key to the game is knowing when is the right time to send your current race/profession into decline and knowing what combo to select for your next series of turns. There is also a bit of strategy in determining whether to invade opponent's territories or focus on taking uncontested territories (or territories filled with units that are NPCs, units that don't attack anyone and aren't controlled by anyone but that defend against any invading players).

The upside of this system is that there are a lot of combos of races and professions which makes for diversity from game to game. The downside is that a few of the professions seem really powerful comparatively, like the Merchant. Not so powerful as to imbalance the game consistently, but powerful enough that it's hard not to choose them when they turn up as available.

There's also some strategy to be had in figuring out what the value of a given combo is. Normally a series of race/profession combos are "available" for you to select from while the rest of the races/professions are still in a stack waiting to be flipped up. But among those combos that are current available you have to pay more coin for them depending how low (far away) they are in the combos currently available. The coin you use to buy things is the same coin that counts as your victory points at the end - so in order to pick a race/profession combo that is far away you have to use up slightly more of your victory points. This adds an element of trying to predict who will take what race/profession combos, because each time one combo is chosen it pushes all the other currently available combos up the totem pole, making them cheaper to obtain (and flipping over a new combo from the stack, which goes at the bottom/most expensive end of the totem pole).

In full, the game is pretty easy to learn and yet also has a lot of diversity. This makes for an accessible game with pretty good replay value. Four stars!