5.0 out of 5 stars Really Fine Sounding Speakers - Amazing at their Price
I received these Dayton B652 6-1/2" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair speakers recently and I have played them for many hours. The amplifier I used mostly is the Dayton DTA-1 Class T Digital Amplifier 15 WPC which works beautifully with them; this versatile and excellent amplifier can be powered by AC or by batteries. (I can also highly recommend the Dayton Audio DTA-100a...
Published on December 23, 2009 by Lawrence H. Bulk

The manufacturer commented on the review below
1.0 out of 5 stars Not the original. Very disappointed.
This is the most disappointing purchase I have ever made. There was so much hype going into these that it actually affected the way they sound at first, but once the confirmation bias wore off I knew something was wrong. When going from these speakers to listening to music in my car, the music got better even though it was playing through factory speakers on my aging car...
Published 20 months ago by Jolly Roger

‹ Previous | 1 2 343 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very good speakers, June 23, 2013
wind (Cincinnati, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair (Electronics)
I bought a pair of these speakers about 3 years ago. I was living in a small apartment at the time and needed a couple of inexpensive rear speakers. The cost back then was just 30 bucks, so I did not have high hopes...but still I certainly respected Parts Express and their Dayton brand and I had purchased cheap speakers for my Rv and had been satisfied if not thrilled by speakers in this price range. When I received the speakers and set then up, I was appalled. They were horrible. I actually ended up using the boxes and replacing the drivers with some raw speakers I had sitting around my home. When I saw Stereophile gave these speakers a good review, I was amazed. Maybe it is because Parts Express is a major Advertiser, or maybe quality control is bad. Stereophile got a good set, I got a bad set. You can get 4 inch full range drivers in a plastic box for the same price as these...and I would recommend that alternative to the Dayton's. Again, Parts Express and Dayton sells many fine products. This particular product was, however, very disappointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars The tweeters are trying to hurt me!!!, June 11, 2014
Ok, for point of reference, I have been on the hunt for decent bookshelf speakers around $60-$100.
I own a pair of Pioneer SP-BS22-LR which go for $130 and I own the Micca MB42X's for $80.

That being said, I didn't expect these to come close to those speakers but the extent to how bad they sound is crazy.

I ran them through 3 different amps, non-CCA full Copper cabling and could not figure out why on earth the tweeters are so bad.

They literally give me a headache after 2 minutes of listening and mine even came with a defect, one of the speakers would cut out.

That being said I A/B'ed these with my closest priced Micca's MB42x's and the difference is amazing. I even prefer the Micca's over the Anthony Jones Pioneer SP-BS22-LR which are $50 more.

So for $30 more than these just get the Micca's MB42x's, if you can't afford it at least get the non-crossover'ed Micca's MB42's which I have owned as well.

Just avoid these. I got them mainly because of the ranting and raving about how they were "fixed' this year.

I don't know if I got a bad batch but if QC is that bad it is not worth it, many more better speakers out there.

In fact the Micca Club 3's can be had for $40 if you are going really cheap but want good sound.

Now, I consider myself a sound freak, audiophile is thrown around so loosely I don't really like the term. I just know good sound and I have been a Dj/producer for 9 years and played around with $1500 speakers and $500 headphones.

And these Dayton's were just amazingly bad.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone to avoid them, heck, even my 5 year old Sony cheap bookshelf speakers are more balanced.

Lastly, keep in mind I am not comparing these to my $500 KRK Near Field Studio monitors or any other high end gear, just speakers in this price range. It goes without saying my KRK's blow these away but only near field, I wanted room filling sound so I am extremely happy with my Micca's (x series). and amazed they can produce such sound so cheap (it borders on the line of magic).

2.0 out of 5 stars These Are Just OK Speakers To Me, May 22, 2014
Got these and noticed how small the retail box is that they are packaged in – nice that they were double boxed by Amazon. After getting them out, I inspected them and immediately can see that the fit and finish is extremely poor overall. There was glue and other abnormalities about the speaker boxes and the woofers were made sloppy how they were assembled. One woofer center cap seems like it was coming off, I checked it and appeared it just was not placed flushed to the cone during assembly – there was glue and did not come off. The grilles were not aligned with the cabinet either and were super ugly how the fabric was cut and glued on around the back of each speaker cover. These things scream cheap! I gave it the knuckle tap test and was not surprised. Oh, by the way, has anyone bothered yet to measure the woofer and question the 6.5 inch claim? I am getting a 5 to 5.5 inch if you include the surround. Even if you measure the woofer frame with the screws, it still does not measure 6.5 inches. I have 6.5 inch speakers and these do not compare in size. These should be called a 5.25 inch woofers. One positive is that the woofer does have a good quality rubber surround. I hooked them up to my Onkyo 2-channel 80W receiver and gave it a go. At first it was entertaining for the most part seeing the woofer perform in a small sealed (cheap) box. I kept my mind on the price paid @$36, but then the sound started to become nagging and there was no quality or dynamics - especially when comparing it to even a set of Micca’s that cost the same or other speakers that I have bought during the years. Their tweeters with the “upgraded” capacitor fix were not impressive either. These are $0.25 tweeters and sound like it. Folks, these speakers are really a “get what you pay for”, they are NOT comparable to a $100 or $200 set of speakers many want to convince others and themselves. I know there is a cult following out there on these and many of them easily spent 2+ times what they paid just to make them sound decent. What is the point when you could just buy the Micca’s or similar (may have to save more) and get strait to enjoying and seeing those carbon fiber 4 inch woofers work. Right now, the Micca Club 3 are less than $40. Ultimately, as you could probably figure, they were returned because I did not feel like having a set of speakers sitting in a brown box in my attic. I give Amazon 5 stars for their customer service and return process. I am giving these two stars only because of the price and are suitable for many who want to start out cheap and work their way up as funds become available. Sorry for the ranting and raving but I had to get this off my chest. Happy speaker hunting!

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
5.0 out of 5 stars CUSTOMER SATIFACTION is a Dayton Audio sound!, August 24, 2014
Briandafiyaman (South-east Louisiana) - See all my reviews
These speakers stink! They never worked from the time they arrived. Only the tweeter has sound coming out of them. When told how to anaylize them the tech wanted me to smell them.

That was my first impression given the circumstances. However Dayton Audio and Parts Express did right by me! They sent a new set out quickily. The speakers have a clear, quality sound. They are a GREAT VALUE given the quality and product support. Thank You Parts Express and Dayton Audio! I'd definetly recomend buying again from Parts Express or choosing any Dayton Audio product knowing that their main product is CUSTOMER SATISFACTION!!!! These guys can turn any negative objection into a positive buying expierence.

Brian West

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Aug 25, 2014 12:05:10 PM PDT
Brian, it sounds as if you had speakers that were possibly damaged during shipping, so please contact Dayton Audio via email at info@daytonaudio.com or call us direct at 937-743-8248. We aren't happy until you are, and we truly believe our B652's are the finest sounding bookshelf speakers under $40 ! Please let us show you how great these little speakers sound!

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairly good warm sounding speakers, November 22, 2010
Jeremiah (GOLETA, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
I owned these speakers for a few months before upgrading to better bookshelf speakers. I used them with an old NAD 7225PE receiver/amp. I bought them after reading the Cnet review. They have a pleasant warm sound but are lacking in bass and at the high end. There are better bookshelf speakers but not at the $30 price point.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible sound, January 24, 2013
JDC (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
I was optimistic, but disappointed.

We had a a Technics bookshelf pair from the early 80s, and a pair of Creative Gigaworks T20s covering different rooms in a relatively complex setup. I bought the Daytons to replace the Technics speakers. I set all 3 pairs of speakers up and began comparing, and tried lots of tweaks on the EQ and amp, including ensuring I set the correct impedance for each pair (not the T20s, obviously with their built in amp).

The Daytons just didn't reproduce high or low sounds well, and even the midtones were disappointing. Both the Technics and the T20s completely blew the Daytons away. Granted the T20s cost more, but for that money they include an amp and power supply. We ended up going back to the original setup. I'm not sure what I will do with the Daytons now.

I saw lots of great reviews for the Daytons. Maybe different batches are better, or maybe others have different preferences. I can only say that a) I was disappointed and b) I didn't notice a difference between the 2 speakers, and you might think extreme quality control problems would manifest as speaker-to-speaker differences too.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy...yet, March 31, 2013
New version of this speaker...only one way to put it. It is s***.

The old version's are much better, hopefully this issue is solved.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute shit, April 1, 2013
I got the new version of this and it is terrible compared to the older one. Simple bait and switch when they cut back on the manufacturing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Over rated and poorly review for hype, August 22, 2013
There seems to be a lot of hype around these speakers, so I said ah what they hay, got a set of these, a lepai amp and a hifiman HM-101 dac. The HM-101 is fantastic. The lepai is surprisingly good, light and efficient; which is great for mobile boom box projects, but still is great for just in the office or work shop. The Dayton speakers are junk.

So it leads me to wonder who actually reviewed these speakers so highly. The only conclusion I have is if you compare these speakers to computer speakers or ipod ear buds they are amazing. Compare them to any modest component system (which these are a component speaker) and they are awful. They basically have no active crossover, cheap tweeter and an undersized cabinet. I am not sure what people think "Imaging" is, I fear it is just reviewers dropping jargon. They are poor at just about everything. The small sealed cabinet, stifles all the bass that could be coming from these woofers and the crossover point it really high, the tweeters are thin and shrill. Even with some significant EQ work, they distort music to the point it doesn't even seem like the same recording.

It probably isn't fair to compare them to my home system, but for the sake of this review. Compared all 3 components (Dayton, Hifi-man(with laptop) and Lepai) to my main set up, (denon cd w/24bit dac, old heavy but amazing yamaha amp and paradigm monitor 5 speakers.) They Lepai and Hifi-man really held their own. The Lepai isn't quite as refined, but had very clean sound at 1/2 power. The Dayton speakers on both amps compared to my monitor 5s were so awful.

They currently are set-up in my bike work shop in the basement. They are fine there, they would probably would be ok in a garage. A possible option for rear speakers in a surround system that has a sub.

Do not expect the world, unless you have zero reverence with component systems. My recommendation would be to look to something with a ported enclosure and a dome tweeter at least $150. Polk Audio TSi100 would be a good start at $150, the lepai is actually pretty good, but for a straight amp the audio source amp-100 is pretty clean at $120. As HM-100 or Fiio E10 would be another good place to look for improving your audio from a laptop, keep in mind the audio DAC from a iphone or ipod is pretty bad.

That said, $25 for a lepai and $40 for the Daytons...if you have nothing else, is probably worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dayton B652s -- Far Exceeds Expectations!, August 27, 2013
Realizing the waxing and waning in the love that has occurred in recent months over these speakers, let me attempt to describe my initial interaction with them: INCREDIBLE! Having researched bookshelf speakers for nearly 2 years prior this purchase, I can honestly say I believe I have read every review from C|Net, Stereophile, Apartment Therapy, Amazon, Parts Express, etc. I have seen the price steadily climb from $25 to $52. I have read with great interest recent reviewers who have had less than favorable results with recent batches (sub-optimal tweeter response, muddy base, lack of crossover, etc). Which led me to have some second thoughts when I recently pulled the trigger to order a set.

Bottom line for me, they are absolutely the best value in near-field monitoring acoustics at this price point that I have found. I am using them in a home-office application, and the soundstage, clarity, vocal response, and overall range of these little guys is impressive. They compare favorably with some of the Klipsch, JBL, and Bose products that inhabit other parts of my home.

Perhaps I simply lucked into one of the "better" batches aforementioned, or maybe my expectations had been tempered by reviewers disappointed in the performance of recent incarnations of the B652s. Either way, these speakers perform well above their small footprint. They fill the entire (office) space with gorgeous sound. To be fair, I am not trying to fill a garage or larger space, nor have I tried them with other video components, although many reviewers sound off about how well they perform in surround packages. I have them paired with the 2013 version of the Lepai 2020A+ amp (also a great value, IMO). No subwoofer (yet) although I don't foresee needing one. If I splash for one, it'll be the Dayton Audio Sub-800, though. If the speakers I purchased are indicative of what Dayton is shipping now, I can say without hesitation you will not be disappointed. Buy a pair, and see for yourself.

‹ Previous | 1 2 343 | Next ›