5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
I use it to keep conversations private in my office and it works well. Just attached it to the wall and anyone listening hears music. Perfect.
Published on October 23, 2011 by Glenn

3.0 out of 5 stars Might be good for a kid's science fair
Works okay. Might be good for a kid's science fair, but the overall quality of the audio is about the same as a cheap bluetooth speaker. You know the one. It is no where acceptable for normal audio use. It is kind of like a dollar store headphone quality.
Published 4 months ago by W. Dunlap

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, October 23, 2011
This review is from: Dayton Audio QEX19 Quadpod Self-Amplified Sound Exciter (Black) (Electronics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Everybody loves the quadpod., December 14, 2011
Pete (Buffalo, Ny) - See all my reviews
I really enjoy this little guy. I originally bought this to go with a tablet, but I find myself using it with my cellphone more often. It's the only cheap surface transducer with a headphone plug. I pretty much show it off to everyone that comes over, and they all get a kick out of it.

Tips:
It works good on hollow items, cardboard boxes and hollow coffee tables seem to be the best. Drums are super loud, but it makes the drum 'play', so it sounds bad. Metallic and glass surfaces sound tinny, like soup can telephones. Plastics work well too, like 5 gallon buckets, trash cans, recycling bins etc. For the ultimate lanboy experience, put it inside your computer tower for 'away missions'. My favorite is putting it on the ridge between your temple and forehead. It's super loud for you but no louder for anyone else. If I crap out a kid ever, this thing is going in his powerwheels.

Downside:
This device can turn ANY surface into a speaker, but is really designed to turn ONE surface into a speaker. The back side of it has exposed circut board and wiring and sticky pads for mounting. You're not supposed to move it from location to location. I do anyway, and it works well enough, but it's delicate. Since it's not stuck down, it buzzes unless you put a little weight on it (I use the phone it's plugged into).

EDIT: As of April 12, I'd finaly gotten enough use out of it to kill the batteries. I'd guess it got about 10-12 hours. I'd suggest rechargables if you're going to use this daily, and make sure you mount it somewhere accessable so you can still change them.

Note:
Since the exciter has a small amp in it, it needs power, hence the two included AAAs. I have used it for probably about 8-10 hours so far, and the batteries are still good.

UPDATE OCTOBER 2013:
I used this to trick out my bike this summer. I strapped some gutter pipe underneath my back rack and stuck the quadpod inside. I had to cut the arms off which cut down the volume, but plugged into my phone and about 18" of gutter, it made a very unique stereo. It looked like a tailpipe and kicked out a modest amount of sound, and I got a lot of compliments. I still stand by my 5 star review and like it better now that it's more frequently used.

5.0 out of 5 stars happy as can be, June 7, 2011
First time buying from amazon and I must say it was a happy experience. Package came on time. Although it has been some 30 years since the first time I saw and heard my first exciters, nonetheless it was no less a surprising experience trying this neat little thing from Dayton. Although the sound then was so much better, they were much bigger transducers though. For such a compact device the sound was great. Don't know if made in China because I can't see anywhere where it was made but quality of item and packaging great not like most made in
China in market these days. Will buy again from Amazon and Dayton. Both highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Little Toy, March 17, 2011
There's not a good reason for this, but It's a fun thing to play with just to enertain yourself by placing it on different surfaces. that, and It works as a self-powered speaker

5.0 out of 5 stars Save Your Batteries. USB-DC Power Plug on the Side., November 1, 2013
J.R. (San Anselmo, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Did anyone notice the dc power jack on the side of this gadget? You don't need batteries.
Take it to radio shack and match it to a dc power plug. Once you know the size, you need to find a cable with the dc power tip on one end and a usb plug on the other. My power cable works but I forgot where I got it. Sorry.
SUGGESTION: Spend $50 and upgrade to the Dayton TT25-8 Puck ($16) and the Lepai 2020 Amp ($20) for A WHOLE LOT BETTER SOUND!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just awesome!, February 9, 2013
The built in amplifier allows you to pop in the batteries and simply plug into your computer/laptop/iPod and immediately bring a smile to your face.

I love to try different surfaces to see how it affects the sound and loudness of the audio.

Books, poster-board, binders, desks, and so much more can be used to create a speaker! It is just so much fun to listen to the audio in a whole new way!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, August 18, 2011
I love this little exciter. It has a great sound, is inexpensive, and makes a great toy to show off. It is the best priced self amplified exciter that i could find. You can take it with you and put it on whatever surface you can find as long as you have something to weigh it down. It is an awesome way to have portable speakers for your mp3 player. If you would like to place it permanently you can peel off the covers to the adhesive and place it upside down, sideways, behind stuff, whatever and it will be completely hidden and have good quality sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome little speaker for a toolbox, April 2, 2014
I'm using this to replace a set of PC speakers I've been dragging around with me for a few years.
Attached it to the bottom of a standup roller toolbox for some tunes while wrenching.
It more than fills that need.
And was a 1/4 of what I spent on the PC speakers, and now I don't have to find a solid place to sit any speakers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Might be good for a kid's science fair, September 14, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars very nice surface speaker, December 9, 2013
awesome speaker ------ it works like stated and reliable --i would recommend it to all all yep yep all yep