Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dayton Audio SA70 70W Subwoofer Amplifier
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on February 13, 2011
Today is June 20, 2012, Below is the initial review I wrote for the Dayton Audi SA70 Subwoofer Amplifier. Today the amplifier is dead as dead can be. I got one year and a few month's use. The cost and time of repair would exceed replacement cost. I will avoid Parts Express's house brand, Dayton Audio in the future.

I have two audio systems in my home, one is a 5.1 system; the other stereo. The 5.1 system, which I built for Blu-ray on a Sony 500 watt RMS foundation, for theater surround sound has a Polk 100 watt 12" subwoofer. It's nice and while it wasn't super high-end audiophile gear, it wasn't cheap.

For the stereo system in my bedroom, I decided I "needed" more bass response than what I was getting from my Polk monitors. Already on hand, I had a 12" Pioneer woofer that was purchased some time ago for use in an automobile. Those auto woofers generally require relatively smaller cabinets than for home audio use. And I had a remnant cabinet of a Samsung woofer from a 5.1 system from an old computer. I'd planned on powering the cobbled together powered subwoofer by using a Pyle PCA3, 75 watt stereo amplifier, but after reading the true specs on the Pyle, it became clear that it was 75 watts PEAK power, only 15 watts RMS, with relatively high distortion characteristics. I keyed "subwoofer amplifier" into Amazon's search engine and it took me directly to the Dayton Audio SA70 70W Subwoofer Amplifier. Using the template from the Pioneer woofer's instructions and making one from the rear of the Dayton Audio SA70 70W Subwoofer Amplifier, I made the proper cutouts in the Samsung cabinet. Then I wired and installed the woofer and subwoofer amplifier. It was a nice clean installation that took less than an hour. I did reduce the free space inside the cabinet with audio acoustical foam. Wired up, this Rube Goldberg subwoofer sounds better to my 66-year-old ears than my Polk.
I suppose that I should add that I've been a licensed broadcast engineer since 1974, so this design and installation may have appeared to be a bit easier than it may be for those who haven't previously worked with audio gear. It was easy. In fact, it took me more time to get my scroll saw properly working than to make the cutouts for the woofer and amp.
55 comments|17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 30, 2011
I bought this unit to replace the original plastic Aurora amps that came with the old style bass shakers I had. Since I'd installed wiring from the wall to the sofa already, I installed this amp in-wall. It works great and provided much more dynamic range and detail on the shakers than the old amps. Don't think I'd try to build a 70 watt subwoofer, but awesome amp for bass shakers. Simple to connect/install. Just connected the output side of my SVS 535W Sonitube sub to this amp, the output wires to the bass shaker wires in my wall and plugged it in.
on March 23, 2016
How I have it hooked up:
- Gutted old black 10" JVC subwoofer box...I got for free at a flea market
- Ripped out old amplifier
- Installed Dayton Audio SD270A-88 10" DVC Subwoofer (26 Hz)
- Wired in a Dayton Audio 100 Hz Low Pass 4 Ohm Crossover (Part # 266-460)
- Old school 10" wire mesh steel grill (I think it looks cool)
- Using speaker level input
- Using in master bedroom for night-time TV watching (Sherwood stereo receiver and Norman Labs speakers)
- Not needing paint peeling punch...but, this does shake the bedroom
The Good:
- Price
- Sound quality is very good for moderate sound levels
- Simple, easy hook up
- Will "go low" and rumble for those of us who need 20-50 Hz performance
- Auto on/off works and turns on fast
- Gasket for sealed enclosures with LOTS of mounting holes/screws
- Rated 70w for 4 ohms...real world listening...power rating is about right
The NOT so Good:
- Speaker input/output terminal blocks are beyond too small. Like maybe 18 AWG only
- The variable 2nd order low-pass crossover (40 - 180 Hz) kinda-sorta works...not enough "cut-off"
- Because of the crappy variable crossover...had to install a 100 Hz 4-ohm low pass crossover (works perfectly)
- Runs warm, really warm
- Included mounting screws snapped...cheap Chinese soft metal screws (used hardened screws...much better)
- You don't need to spend the extra money on a dual voice coil subwoofer
- UPS screwed up my delivery...had to wait an extra week
- Forget about Prime 2-day shipping from Parts Express.
Bottom Line:
- Once I installed the Parts Express crossover inside...this little amp sounded MUCH better.
- It does the job and produces enough low-low bass (with my internal crossover) for low-to-medium powered systems.
- Probably should have spent the extra $35-40 and went with the 100w Dayton Audio plate amp...but, this one works well in the bedroom
on July 16, 2013
This is perfect for the do it yourselfer who wants to embed a subwoofer in the floor or wall. Plenty of power for even the thirstiest speakers, runs cool and completely unobtrusive. Turns itself off automatically after 15 minutes of no signal.

The documentation is non-existent (one page of translated Chinese...), but if you know what you're doing this is a good value.
on July 13, 2015
This subwoofer panel was a replacement for a subwoofer with an amp that went bad. The subwoofer I had was a 12" ported sub. I thought this might be too little power for the box. It isn't. I have the volume knob set to 75% and the surround sound is set to negative 1. No distiortion, no problems. Fit's external to the box as the cutout in my box used a narrow amplifier. All in all I'm happy.
on July 25, 2014
Gave my burnt out Polk Audio subwoofer a 2nd chance at life and in fact it sounds better now than the original PA one!

Update 4/16/2016: After 2 years this thing is dead. I was watching a movie and noticed there was no bass coming across the room. I tested the tone output with the receiver and there was nothing coming from the subwoofer. I took the thing apart and tested all the connections. Tested the connectors on the woofer with a 9 Volt battery and the cone was popping like normal. I tested the voltage coming from the receiver and it was within the range. I then ran my multimeter across the connectors from the Dayton Amplifier plate with it plugged in and got .007 Volts AC. This thing is dead just after 2 years!
on September 21, 2013
I used this to replace my Polk 10 amp that blew out. The polk was only rated at 50, but this one seems way underpowered compared to that. It does the job, but I should have gone with a higher wattage. I feel like this one struggles to push the Polk 10" sub.
on December 9, 2013
For the price it's hard to beat having crossover control and having a near perfect match for the Aura AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shaker paired with it. On power testing the shaker and trying its limits, rather than reaching the shaker's limits, I arrived at the heat limit of the amplifier. It does run pretty hot, but as long as you're not blasting BassHead and such for longer than 20min at max you should be good (if your room is chilly then you'll get plenty of time out of it.)
on March 1, 2014
My 12 year old KLH Subwoofer got fried during a lighting strike. Rather than toss it....I looked online for parts and stumbled across this unit. It is the SAME UNIT! I couldn't believe it! The only thing that is missing is the KLH logo :-). Dayton apparently made the units for KLH....then put their logo on it. Now my Sub is back to wump wump wumph.
on May 15, 2012
I have had this unit for 2 years and it is basically at it's minimum power output. For a long time it was fine, but then I didn't notice the kick so I turned it up, same thing...2 years later it's all the way up and barely putting out anything at all.