5.0 out of 5 stars Was A Great Buy, now DEAD..review originally written
Today is June 20, 2012, Below is the initial review I wrote for the Dayton Audi SA70 Subwoofer Amplifier. Today the amplifier is dead as dead can be. I got one year and a few month's use. The cost and time of repair would exceed replacement cost. I will avoid Parts Express's house brand, Dayton Audio in the future.

I have two audio systems in my home, one is a...
Published on February 13, 2011 by Steven Rossellini

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much power
I used this to replace my Polk 10 amp that blew out. The polk was only rated at 50, but this one seems way underpowered compared to that. It does the job, but I should have gone with a higher wattage. I feel like this one struggles to push the Polk 10" sub.
Published 16 months ago by EG

5.0 out of 5 stars Was A Great Buy, now DEAD..review originally written, February 13, 2011
This review is from: Dayton Audio SA70 70W Subwoofer Amplifier (Electronics)

I have two audio systems in my home, one is a 5.1 system; the other stereo. The 5.1 system, which I built for Blu-ray on a Sony 500 watt RMS foundation, for theater surround sound has a Polk 100 watt 12" subwoofer. It's nice and while it wasn't super high-end audiophile gear, it wasn't cheap.

For the stereo system in my bedroom, I decided I "needed" more bass response than what I was getting from my Polk monitors. Already on hand, I had a 12" Pioneer woofer that was purchased some time ago for use in an automobile. Those auto woofers generally require relatively smaller cabinets than for home audio use. And I had a remnant cabinet of a Samsung woofer from a 5.1 system from an old computer. I'd planned on powering the cobbled together powered subwoofer by using a Pyle PCA3, 75 watt stereo amplifier, but after reading the true specs on the Pyle, it became clear that it was 75 watts PEAK power, only 15 watts RMS, with relatively high distortion characteristics. I keyed "subwoofer amplifier" into Amazon's search engine and it took me directly to the Dayton Audio SA70 70W Subwoofer Amplifier. Using the template from the Pioneer woofer's instructions and making one from the rear of the Dayton Audio SA70 70W Subwoofer Amplifier, I made the proper cutouts in the Samsung cabinet. Then I wired and installed the woofer and subwoofer amplifier. It was a nice clean installation that took less than an hour. I did reduce the free space inside the cabinet with audio acoustical foam. Wired up, this Rube Goldberg subwoofer sounds better to my 66-year-old ears than my Polk.
I suppose that I should add that I've been a licensed broadcast engineer since 1974, so this design and installation may have appeared to be a bit easier than it may be for those who haven't previously worked with audio gear. It was easy. In fact, it took me more time to get my scroll saw properly working than to make the cutouts for the woofer and amp.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Aurora butt kickers, July 30, 2011
Ken Arnold (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dayton Audio SA70 70W Subwoofer Amplifier (Electronics)
I bought this unit to replace the original plastic Aurora amps that came with the old style bass shakers I had. Since I'd installed wiring from the wall to the sofa already, I installed this amp in-wall. It works great and provided much more dynamic range and detail on the shakers than the old amps. Don't think I'd try to build a 70 watt subwoofer, but awesome amp for bass shakers. Simple to connect/install. Just connected the output side of my SVS 535W Sonitube sub to this amp, the output wires to the bass shaker wires in my wall and plugged it in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, tight amp, July 16, 2013
This review is from: Dayton Audio SA70 70W Subwoofer Amplifier (Electronics)
This is perfect for the do it yourselfer who wants to embed a subwoofer in the floor or wall. Plenty of power for even the thirstiest speakers, runs cool and completely unobtrusive. Turns itself off automatically after 15 minutes of no signal.

The documentation is non-existent (one page of translated Chinese...), but if you know what you're doing this is a good value.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price., December 9, 2013
This review is from: Dayton Audio SA70 70W Subwoofer Amplifier (Electronics)
For the price it's hard to beat having crossover control and having a near perfect match for the Aura AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shaker paired with it. On power testing the shaker and trying its limits, rather than reaching the shaker's limits, I arrived at the heat limit of the amplifier. It does run pretty hot, but as long as you're not blasting BassHead and such for longer than 20min at max you should be good (if your room is chilly then you'll get plenty of time out of it.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much power, September 21, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Salvged my powered subwoofer., January 2, 2013
This review is from: Dayton Audio SA70 70W Subwoofer Amplifier (Electronics)
I purchased this unit. Our powered subwoofer electronic unit died and I was trying to salvage the unit (Speaker was good). The subwoofer cabinet had to be cut (enlarged) to install the new unit and everything is working great now for several weeks. I am very pleased.

Forrest Cobb

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked great...for a while..., May 15, 2012
This review is from: Dayton Audio SA70 70W Subwoofer Amplifier (Electronics)
I have had this unit for 2 years and it is basically at it's minimum power output. For a long time it was fine, but then I didn't notice the kick so I turned it up, same thing...2 years later it's all the way up and barely putting out anything at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, October 10, 2011
This review is from: Dayton Audio SA70 70W Subwoofer Amplifier (Electronics)
I installed this in a sub woofer that had a failed amp. The hole in the sub woofer box was about right with a little modification. The amp works great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value in a basic no frills amp, July 27, 2011
This review is from: Dayton Audio SA70 70W Subwoofer Amplifier (Electronics)
This amp gets moderate daily use to power an Aura AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shaker I have attached to my couch to enhance the rumble and low bass in movies I watch. It has provided more than adequate power for a number of months quite reliably. I have it hidden off to the side out of view since it is not a pretty piece of equipment, but it certainly does the job. Greatly enhances special effects and explosions in action type sci fi movies. This amp and Aura Bass Shaker for a little over $100 is an awesome cost effective combination to greatly enhance your movie night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Polk Audio, July 25, 2014
This review is from: Dayton Audio SA70 70W Subwoofer Amplifier (Electronics)
Gave my burnt out Polk Audio subwoofer a 2nd chance at life and in fact it sounds better now than the original PA one!

Dayton Audio SA70 70W Subwoofer Amplifier