Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on August 15, 2007
I received this machine as a christmas gift, I like having the option to make expresso/cappacino but it just didn't work well from the start. It leaked water from the bottom and now it has just stopped working. This is my second Delonghi that stopped working after about 8 months of ownership.
44 comments|39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon July 28, 2007
I purchased this item April 27th - the espresso portion never worked right - the temperature of the espresso was lukewarm at best. The coffee maker worked fine until about a week ago. Now the coffee maker has stopped working completely after less than 90 days!
on January 29, 2008
This was a wonderful machine at first. Then I slowly started seeing water on the counter...then on the floor. Now it just stopped working after 3 months. Not worth wasting the money on this. Their customer service was worthless and they have very limited repair facilities.
on August 15, 2009
I was fortunate enough to get this machine using credit card points and was it worth it? Yes, since I didn't have to use 'real' money for it ;). But seriously, the negative reviews are way overblown. Could it have been engineered better? Yes. Does it take a little finesse to use? Yes. Does it make good coffee? Yes. Does it froth milk? Yes. Does it make good espresso? Not really.

Here's a little more detail on my comments above...
The water pitcher will leak if not seated correctly, it just needs to be centered and pressed down firmly so the gasket seals.
In terms of making coffee, I'm comparing it to my old Mr. Coffee that I retired after eight years of service (good bye, old friend!).
The steamer is new to me and pretty neat. It foams up my soy milk nicely and I use it occasionally to make hot chocolate. Yum! The arm could have been made a little longer and maybe angled so that a mug could be placed under the tip without bumping into the side of the machine. First few times I used the machine I spilled foam all over the place trying to get my mug out. Maybe I'm just a klutz.
Finally a word on the espresso. The instructions are specific on not pressing the grounds into place. As a result, the resulting liquid has little or no crema, and the taste is not quite there. In other words, it's strong coffee rather than true espresso. Not that I am that worried about it; my girlfriend the ex-barista was quick to point that out to me. Sometimes I hate know it alls.

In conclusion, would I pay $100 for this machine? No. If it comes up for 80 new, I'd consider it since it's got a lot of bells and whistles for a coffee machine.

Update: Eight months of service, no major problems. If you pour water directly on the gasket, it will leak, but otherwise, no complaints

Update: 20 months of daily use with no major problems. Could use a new gasket for the water tank, but I have been pouring the water in the tank with out removing it anyways.

Update: May 2011, about the same as last update. Now that it is down to $80 I would consider buying it as a replacement once this one dies
on January 6, 2008
I bought this product as a Christmas present for my wife. Now I'm in the dog house. Well, not really. Fortunately she likes coffee and not espresso, and the coffee is pretty good with this unit. But I like espresso with cream, and this machine does a poor job of doing espresso. My previous machine was a small pump espresso machine. This one is a steam espresso maker. There is a big difference that makes you wonder why anything other than a pump machine is ever built. Pump machines make an espresso that tastes creamy and rich. The espresso world term is crema. Anybody that wants a real espresso maker needs to get a pump espresso maker. There are relatively inexpensive ones out there, so keep looking and stay away from this one. The only reason I picked this one was that I like having a combination unit that both my wife and I could use, and not knowing about steam espresso makers, I thought I'd take the chance. Personally, I can't even drink this espresso. It just tastes bad. I'm sorry I was swayed by it's looks and 2 in 1 use. For me it just wasn't worth the purchase. I could have bought a better stand alone coffee maker for my wife that would have been much better and stayed happy with my old reliable pump. Live and learn.
on March 12, 2008
I purchased this 3 months ago, this never really makes a hot cup of coffee, the espresso portion sort of works but is a difficult to use and it is difficult to get your cup under the steamer. Also the espresso maker is not as hot as it should be. The removable water tank leaks and you will find a puddle under the unit. I dropped the plastic water tank from about 2 feet off the ground and it cracked, making it useless, I was suprised how soft plastic could break so easily, and as of yet I am unable to find a replacement, and Delonghi wont respond to my emails. this unit is cheaply made, and not worth the 100 bucks I spent on it
look elsewhere for a better combination machine
on May 17, 2007
I received this coffee machine as a gift after moving cross country. I drink espresso/cappucino daily and drip coffee only occasionally, and I really loved my friend's Caffe Nabucco machine of the same brand. I love this gift. It is a coffee center, giving me several options for my own coffee needs (I like my coffee better than all those other coffee shops.) The frother is a nice addition, although it isn't practical if you are in a rush - it needs immediate cleaning. The drip side - and the programmable timer - is an improvement over the previous model and really handy. I use it daily and have not had one problem in three months with any part of the machine.
on November 16, 2008
There is more than one model of the DeLonghi line of Coffee/Espresso Machines. I have owned 2 of the Delonghi Combos. I have read the reviews and have concluded that most of the negative remarks come form those that do not know how to use it or have the model that are not digital. We have enjoyed cappuccino, for almost every day, for the last six years. I suggest 100% Columbian coffee and second I suggest to use nothing but soft or distilled water for the best coffee and cappuccino.
on January 25, 2011
I've had a DeLonghi combo for the last 10 years until the coffee side finally gave out. Decided to use a "back up" coffee machine (a Gevalia-supposedly great) and keep my DeLonghi on the counter for making mocha lattes (LOVE them!). Well, coffee just didn't taste the same in the 'other' maker. My husband stopped drinking coffee. Even with 'natura;' filters, it just didn't have that rich, mellow taste. After a couple of months we decided to get another DeLonghi. My sister-in-law purchased the same one at the same time because she loves my cappuccinos & lattes. She's been used to a Mr. Coffee style machine for the past 30 years. Her experience & mine were like the 1 & 5 star reviews that you see on this site! I haven't had a single problem & hers was what others that rated this "1 star" said. When I asked what she did, I realized that she just wants a no-fuss, dump the coffee & water in & push a button-let it be done in 5 minutes kind of machine. This is not that kind of machine. It takes a little extra time & care to get the perfect cup of coffee. Also her counter clearance wasn't high enough which meant she had to move the machine every time she wanted to use it. (read how tall it is & find a space ahead of time for it). She sent hers back & I kept mine. When she visits, she stills enjoys a mocha latte with me, but realizes her Mr. Coffee will work fine for her.
on April 12, 2009
My machine "leaks" as well, however since I move it forward on the counter to put the water tank in, I have seen the water when I slide it back and not been unknowingly wetting my counter like others. I searched "delonghi bco-120t leaking" and I got this product page. I read 3 pages of reviews and then inspected the unit closely. It is designed to drain water from the compartment where the tank goes through a hole in the corner. I personally think the design should NOT have included a hole. That would allow you to use the tank as a convenience for easy filling, but ALSO allow you to just fill the compartment up in the event you prefer to, or crack/lose etc... the tank. I tried a few test brews of just water and have found the most likely reason for water getting to that drain hole is "user error." The tank needs to fit into the bottom quickly and tightly. If it is lightly pressed down, it might leak out into the compartment, and consequently out the drain hole onto the counter.
Just push it down nice and tightly and hopefully you'll be ok.

The carafe does seem thinner and broke after dropping a fork into a full of water carafe in the sink. $27 to replace from gourmet dot com I think.