5.0 out of 5 stars We bought 20 of these...
We are an HVAC contractor in Northern Virginia. We stock up on these every year to loan to customers without heat because they are safe and reliable. We have been very satisifed with the performance.
Published on January 9, 2007 by David S. Kyle

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great for office
I'm using the heater for under my desk at the office. It is a little loud for a quiet office and the lowest temp is really hot. I think it would work great for other uses though.
Published on September 17, 2007 by Dawn Corsair

5.0 out of 5 stars We bought 20 of these..., January 9, 2007
David S. Kyle (Lorton, Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DeLonghi DCH1030 Safeheat 1500W Basic Ceramic Heater - Gray/Black (Kitchen)

5.0 out of 5 stars toaster!, January 30, 2007
I had a little heater fan from DeLonghi (DFH132), and it was fine but a little weak. I tried out a few heater fans from Honeywell (HFH5555 [worked, but blew a fuse] and HEH8001-U [worked but more fan than heater]) but ended up returning them.

This little heater puts out a good bit of heat. It's sitting behind me right now, in the same spot the heater fan used to occupy, and it puts out much more heat. It's also about twice as loud, but that doesn't bother me. The grille on the front gets hot, but I haven't left my hand on it long enough to see if it will burn me. I can make only so many sacrifices for Amazon reviews...

Quite happy with this item.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works exactly for what I need it for, October 26, 2009
I gave this heater 4 stars. Let me explain....

First, to be realistic about my pros and cons, I know I wasn't getting a top of the line model being that this heater was under thirty bucks. I only needed this to provide a little warmth boost in my 1-year old sons 14' x 12' room.

Pros:
-Pushes a lot of heat for being so small - This was surprising. I have to keep the temp turned only about 1/3 of the way up with the lowest fan setting or else my son's room turns into a sauna.
-Very nice size - it's not tiny, but it fits nicely on my son's chest of drawers along with an alarm clock and piggy bank.
-1 fan, 2 heat options - there is a fan option(no heat), a low and high heat setting. I use the low and imagine that the high setting would push qhite a bit of heat.
-Thermostat - very nice option for what I use it for, once you get it right (see cons). I keep it up about 1/3 of the way and it keeps the room at a semi-constant temp.
-Stays cool to the touch on perimeter - if you put your hand directly in front of the heating element, it's hot (duh), the rest of it stays nice and cool. This was a major concern for me since it stays in a childs room and space heaters having such a bad safety rep.
-Sturdy - I originally had it on the floor and moved it up on a dresser. Neither place was I afraid that it would tip over on it's own
-Overheat switch - It's an option, but I gladly haven't had to see if it works

Cons:
-Slightly noisier than expected - I expected a little noise since it is a little heater but this small fans puts out quite a bit of noise. It's not loud enough to wake my son when it kicks on during the night, but it is loud enough where I had to relocate the baby monitor because it was driving my wife and me crazy.
-Thermostat - this was a pro for having the option alone. The con is that it took me about a week to get it to maintain an even temp exactly where I wanted it. One time it would be too hot, I make an adjustment, then too cold, repeat about 15 times, and it's just right.

If I could give 4 1/2 stars I would. My pros are definite pros, but the cons may be a little petty given the product. I think for a few more dollars DeLonghi could put in a digital thermostat and maybe a slighly quieter fan.

Overall, I highly recommend this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great for office, September 17, 2007

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of heat for a little cash, October 8, 2008
My wife and I bought 2 of these to give our utility budget a break this winter.

This heater puts out alot of heat. The On/Off/Heat Settings switch, along with the Thermostat switch, feel very solid for a ceramic heater this inexpensive. It has a handle so it's easily transportable. Power light goes off when the unit is turned off (unlike others in this price range). Can be turned off (Some other similarly priced heaters need to have you pull the plug for the heater to go off). If it gets too hot, it will shut itself off (Safety feature). It's not whisper quiet but it is certainly not overly loud, as some others have complained. It also has an anti-freeze setting, if that is why you need it.

For the money, I can't see how you can get a better deal on a ceramic heater. I checked out all the similarly priced ceramic heaters here on Amazon, and quite frankly the combination of features, efficient ceramic heating element, solid design and inexpensive price make this a "no-brainer" as far as inexpensive ceramic heaters go. Get 2 and give the gift of ceramic heating efficiency this Christmas. OOPS, politically incorrect. TOO BAD!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Thermostat loses stars, January 4, 2011
Update: With the thermostat unmoved from the setting where it had heated the room to 75 degrees, it later heated it to 97 degrees, causing adhesive-based hooks to fall off walls and possibly damaging cosmetics. I cannot recommend this heater. I see several other heaters with different names that look identical to this one. I suspect they are the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, effective, inexpensive and energy efficient, November 21, 2006
I have a fairly small bedroom (8' x 14') in the city in a 2 bedroom apartment. My roommate and I decided to get heaters for our bedrooms for this winter to try to save some money on our gas bill. At first I was suspicious about this small heater's ability to heat my room. My room feels really toasty right now. I am thankful that I gave this a shot. Although I havent received my electric bill yet to compare to our gas bills, I am almost for certain that we saved a bunch of money.

The cool thing about this unit is that there is one knob that controls 2 heat power settings (hi and low) and 1 cool setting. the other knob has the ability to control the strength of heat (cool to hot). I tried the cool setting, it's not as powerful as an AC, but it cools better than a fan.

3.0 out of 5 stars It sounds loud..., December 6, 2006
I am living Iowa city, and the weather is getting colder and colder. So, I bought this small heater to get extra heat for my bedroom. It actually runs very loud, which is quite annoying for me. Moreover, I don't believe the "thermostat" works at all. The manual delusively says that the "thermostat" can be used to maintain the temperature. It is not true. I have to turn it on and off manually... However, it is cheap. For that reason, we probably should not have high expectation.

1.0 out of 5 stars LASTED 28 DAYS, January 6, 2011
The smell of melting plastic was our first warning something was wrong. This was our first DeLonghi product. It will be our LAST! It burned out in 28 days with only limited use. The fan won't even work. We have Pelonis ceramic heaters and Laskos that have lasted 10 to 15 years. This is exactly why I've stopped reviewing any product until it had been in use for several months. I clean all space heaters in use weekly with either a vacuum or light compressed air. It was as clean as new. I won't bother sending it back, but I will send out a warning to anyone considering buying a DeLonghi DC1030 Ceramic Heater. BUYER BEWARE!

4.0 out of 5 stars works well but the thermostat does not maintain the temperature, December 21, 2006
It's small and can easily be carried around. Can heat up small rooms but the thermostat cannot mantain the temperature. However, it's still ok for the price.