5.0 out of 5 stars coffee urn - great
Published on March 3, 2008 by Paula

3.0 out of 5 stars Great coffee maker - Leaky Dispenser
Published on November 18, 2007 by Joseph A. Schmitt

3.0 out of 5 stars Great coffee maker - Leaky Dispenser, November 18, 2007
Joseph A. Schmitt "jaschmitt" (Oakland Gardens, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DeLonghi DCU500T 50-Cup-Capacity Stainless-Steel Coffee Urn (Kitchen)
I bought this coffee maker for my son's Christening party. Compared to the othters it had better control of the coffee temp, timer for how long the coffee had been sitting, and coffee level indicator. We followed the directions for filling the coffee grind basket and brewed our first pot of coffee. The coffee was good and very hot but many grinds found their way into the mix. The biggest problem with the unit possibly resulting from the grinds that sneak out of the filter basket, is that the dispenser leaked continuously, even after multiple attempts to open and close trying to flush out possible coffee grinds that might have caught in the valve. We did nothing unusual in terms of coffee quantity or grind fineness. I anticipate that this will occur every time we brew with this machine. We are returning based on the leaky dispenser. Fit and finish of this machine was great. I would have loved to be able to keep it but the leak really makes a mess.

5.0 out of 5 stars coffee urn - great, March 3, 2008
Paula (BURLINGTON, MA) - See all my reviews
I really like this coffe urn. I've only used it once but I got a lot of compliments from the other ladies at the party who loved the look of it and size. More importantly, it brewed 30 cups very quickly compared to other urns and best of all, the coffee was hot! I didn't have issues with leakage eihter. It was easy to assemble and brew a pot the first time out with no issue.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great large capacity coffee maker, August 29, 2008
We bought this for the teachers at our school to replace a VERY old, out of date coffee maker. I've had Delonghi in the past and liked it, also. The teachers love it and say that it makes wonderful coffee. We are very happy with the purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Get Another Brand, September 29, 2007
R. Gomez (Miami, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I've bought and used many comparable urns. This one is amazing. Highly recommend it. And I love the way you can adjust the post brew temperature - preventing that burned out hour later taste. Now, we can brew and enjoy the coffee for hours.

2.0 out of 5 stars DeLonghi's Mess...Not Mine, November 18, 2010
This is the second DeLonghi I purchased.

The first one would shut off after two hours which was really annoying. It was some freshness feature. the heating element or controller died on it. RIP. They wouldn't cover its failure under warranty and the repair was too expensive. DeLonghi USA was moderately unhelpful.

This model, like other people reported, leaked after a year of infrequent use through the gauge for the amount of liquid left. We fixed it, using a piece of rubber, a ball bearing and a little ingenuity. The gauge no longer works. No big loss there. It was hard to read.

This product seems to be discontinued. Not a big loss.

I like DeLonghi because they make their urns and lids out of stainless steel rather than aluminum. On the other hand, I don't like the reliability issues of them. I don't know that I'll buy a DeLonghi again. I've also noticed that companies with poor reliabilities often get rid of products and models relatively quickly before people figure out that the products are subpar. When people do figure it out, sales drop and they have to release new models to keep sales up. Long standing, reliable products that continue to sell well don't need to be reinvented or new models released. West Bend's has had more or less several products that have remained more or less the same for 20 years. This makes me more suspicious of DeLonghi. The two models I've bought both died and both models were discontinued by the time they died.

I may look for a more reliable manufacturer in the future. Hopefully one made out of stainless steel. I may switch to aluminum for a more reliable and established manufacturer though. This buying a $100 appliance every year and a half is for the birds. Give me something that lasts for 5 or 10 years and I'll be content.

I will say that this urn did function well while it worked properly. Who knows? Maybe our improvised repair job and the urn will last for another five years and I may upgrade the rating to 3 Stars? Oh yeah, since the model's been discontinued, nobody has a chance to build up a regard for the product or the manufacturer. My bad.

Yes, I know writing this review is relatively pointless since the model is discontinued. I am, if nothing else, noting that the manufacturer has earned my suspicion in the future. Maybe they will read this and get some good ideas or other consumers may be warned in the process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Quality, January 2, 2011
Been making the "Holiday Brew" (mixture of juices and spices) in an bargain-priced percolator, but became a bit concerned heating acidic liquids in aluminum. This is a quality all-stainless appliance. Yes, a bit pricy up front, but the quality is worth it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Spend your hard earned dollars elsewhere, June 25, 2010
While this urn makes a great cup of coffee the reliability of the three i have bought have been extremely dissapointing. One out of the box was a dude. The second one lasted about two months then died. The last one had several leak problems like others have reported along with a timer that was WAY off target. It was supposed to have a three phase color scheme where it turned one of the three leds from green to red for every two hours it was left on. (freshness indicator) They all went from green to red in about 1.5 hours. Not a big deal for me but, maybe for someone else. I WILL NOT buy another. The only reason i put two stars was the fact it made a nice cup of coffe and it stayed hot. Reliability....not so much. Good luck!

2.0 out of 5 stars Would be great if it worked, August 23, 2009
Brett Lindsey (St. Petersburg, FL) - See all my reviews
I work for the Army overseas and ordered this Coffee Urn for our operations center. We consume a lot of coffee and wanted to brew one large batch at a time as opposed to several smaller batches. When I ordered this product in July I was supposed to get expedited shipping, but the coffee urn did not arrive for six weeks. After we unpacked it we discovered that it had been damaged in shipping. The timer does not shut off during the percolating process and will overcook the coffee if you don't turn it off, the green "ready" light does not light up, and the gauge showing how old the coffee is does not function. Through experimentation we've learned how long to brew the coffee before unplugging the urn, usually about forty minutes for 40 cups. If you add more than 45 cups of water it leaks during percolation. The urn or "silver bullet" as we call it, looks very nice and does make decent coffee if we unplug it before it overcooks. As much as it costs though, it's a big dissapointment. Bottom line, don't buy this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed, May 26, 2009
I must say that the first coffee pot I received had a problem. The shut off switch must have been broken. I emailed amazon and told them the problem, I had the choice of getting a new one or my money back. I choose the replacement. They said they would send me a new one and pick up the defective one, no charge. The next day UPS was at my house with the new one and I gave them the defective one. I was so impressed with the speed of the company. The coffee pot works great. What an easy solution. They are a very stand up company.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Easy to Use!, May 7, 2009
A drip cup to catch any drips after using, very easy to operate. A good
product definitely worth the money spent.

Rate and Discover Movies