4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Dehumidifier
I already have a Friedrich D70BP and Whynter RPD-702WP
dehumidifiers in my basement and jumped at the chance to check this one out because I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a backup and I'd be able to compare this to my existing units.

Published 17 days ago by Schwartz

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit on the expensive side
Published 9 days ago by Alan A. Elsner

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Dehumidifier, September 3, 2014
Schwartz (Port Allegany, PA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I already have a Friedrich D70BP and Whynter RPD-702WP

In the box you get the dehumidifier with permanently attached power cord, removable and cleanable air filter, removable drain bucket with built in carry handle, drain hose and hose connector to connect to the built-in water pump, and a washer and short length of plastic hose for the gravity drain connector.

In use the compressor is barely heard through the sound of the fan. Most times you need to feel the unit for the slight vibration to even tell if the compressor is running. The fan isn't what most people would consider quiet on either its low or high settings. I don't consider the sound to be excessively loud and it is quieter than the other dehumidifiers that I have had and have seen over the years.

Control wise you get a power button, fan speed button, timer button, and up and down selector buttons for the functions, a momentary button to show Celsius or Fahrenheit for the current temperature, and a pump on / off button. There is a back-lit LCD screen that shows all the settings and status of the unit. The LCD auto dims after a few seconds of no input from the control panel.

All of these units appear to be possibly made by the same manufacturer for these companies to sell. They are all really similar in design and function and when I look down into the blower they all have the same manufacturer labeled on the motor. My Friedrich was purchased last year and the others are from this year so they appear to be making small tweaks in operating behavior either to improve power use as time goes on or at the request of the different companies selling the units.

I use the pump option so I can place the unit close to the center of my basement area and have it pump the water to a floor drain. The Friedrich and the Whynter have a larger pump connector that pushes a micro switch to activate the pump. The DeLonghi has a smaller connector and a button that you need to activate on the control panel to run the pump. All use the exact same hose. Every few minutes I can hear the water being pumped and going down the drain.

The main difference in the Whynter and DeLonghi vs. the Friedrich seems to the fan function. When the Friedrich hits the set humidity the fan and compressor turns off and when the Whynter and DeLonghi hit the set humidity the fan keeps running and the just the compressor stops. The DeLonghi takes it one step further and runs the fan on the low speed no matter if you had it set to high while the compressor was running. They claim that this avoids the high start-up amperage to save power but I question that. When I check the DeLonghi power usage the wattage sits around 435W with the fan on high and the compressor running. When the humidity setting is hit the compressor shuts off and the fan kicks to low and the wattage sits around 62W.

I would just keep in mind that over the years there have been a lot of different dehumidifier recalls due to fires so I don't trust any of these to operate when I am not home. I always run them in the evening and overnight when I am home and with a smoke alarm in close proximity just in case. I also use the timed shut off function so of I have to leave in a hurry and forget them they shut off on their own. Also make sure you register the unit with the manufacturer so that you can be notified in the event of a recall.

Overall I think this is a pretty good unit so far. It seems to be constantly removing good amount of water from the air and pumping it away while it is running. It is definitely the most attractive of the bunch if you are concerned with that. I have had the Friedrich for over a year and the Whynter for a couple of months and everything still functions fine and I have had no problems. I would expect this unit to be the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect and the pump feature makes it much more useful, September 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We previously received a dehumidifier from Amazon Vine that we used in our basement area (see earlier review), and it worked so well I wished to see if one would work in a different area of our house.

The DeLongi dehumidifier was absolutely perfect for our needs. We have a large, attached 2 car garage where I do many projects and store tools, mowers, tillers, clothing, etc. It is air conditioned, but while working in the garage, the door to the outside is open frequently and, sometimes, for long periods of time. The humidity makes it uncomfortable at times, and we find condensation dripping from the air conditioning vents onto the automobile stored there. Those drips leave water marks that are hard to remove.

There is no floor drain available to run the drainage hose from the dehumidifier to, and it would be a pain to have to empty the pan in the unit daily. This unit comes with a pump feature that allows you to attach an included piece of clear tubing (I think it is about 18" long). With the pump, the condensate can be pumped outside the garage door and drained outside. It will lift the water up to a height of 13', but all I needed was to get it up over a 3 foot high wall and into the lawn area. Works perfectly.

Over the past few days I have tested the unit to see how it fairs under our garage conditions. Setting it at 50% humidity level with the main garage door shut, it brings the humidity down to 50% from 60%+ with no problem...in just a few minutes. After leaving the door open for several minutes on a hot and humid day, the unit registered the humidity at 85%. Closing the door, it brought the humidity level down to about 50% in less than 10 minutes. Turning it on while the door was open, it kept the humidity at around 60%-65% (15 feet from the door opening).

It makes it much more pleasant and work conducive to not be sweating in high humidity. Projects that require latex paints have always been postponed on days where the humidity is high because of drying times and stickiness of paint for long periods. I painted some wrought iron furniture to prepare for winter storage, and the paint was dry to touch in 30 minutes...as it should be.

A great unit that over performs expectations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Relatively quiet and does the job,, September 1, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you are looking into getting one of these machines, keep in mind that there is no perfect dehumidifier. You could only find one that runs as quiet as possible, efficient in pulling moisture out of the air and does not cost you an arm and a leg to operate. This one looks like it will meet all of that requirements. I also have another dehumidifier, the Premiere (purchased from one of the discount warehouses).

Both of them have the same capacity and features. Same type of bucket to catch water with handles. The only difference is the DeLonghi is noticeable quieter and cooler when running. When humidity reaches level higher than preset level, both of them blow warm air out of the vent as they condensate moisture. The DeLonghi is much less warmer than the Premiere, and this let me put it in the hallway near my air return.

Both of them have to stay on, on stand by mode. When room's humidity is lower than preset, only the fan is running and this is where it counts. The Delonghi is quieter than the Premiere, and quieter than most dehumidifier I have tried out. I went through several of them, as in the summer in Texas someday you could cut the humidity with a knife.

I took off a star, because it is not perfect. I want one that really quiet you could hardly hear it running, but that one does not exist (yet). But in the mean time, this DeLonghi DD50PE is as good as you can get. I can feel the air is dryer in my house after this humidifier runs for half an hour. I don't have to tell you what high humidity can do, creates environment for mold grows, makes you central AC work harder, and most of all, affect your respiratory.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine unit...looking forward to it lasting years..., September 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is our third dehumidifier.

The first of which was a Frigidaire that was wonderful until it started icing up. A perusal of the Frigidaire's website indicated that this unit was being replaced, free of charge, if there was an issue within a specified time. Took advantage of this and got that replacement.

This DeLonghi unit for the most part is on equal footing with our last Frigidaire.

One advantage is that it is the quietest of the three. It has a compact appearance and is unobtrusive. It is energy efficient and has a filter to enhance its operation.

This unit is being run in our 1000 square foot unfinished basement.

We do not have a dampness issue. What we do have is normal humidity build up in summer months.

An exercise area is in the main section, along with food storage, freezer, holiday décor, cooking implements and out of season clothing, etc.

A laundry room to the back and with a separating wall generally stays drier as the clothes dryer's heat pinch hits for dampness reduction.

Our only issue with this unit is when emptying. As we could not place it near a sink or drain, we physically remove the water bin to spill out into our utility sink.

Placing the full bin on the floor, then lifting the handle will often cause some spillover of collected water, as the base of the bucket has a front lip of sorts with makes the bin tilt toward the back. Since this is the way we have always emptied our unit, we are trying to readjust this process.

Other than that, the unit is wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet, effective dehumidifier - Get it if you want a pump to help with drainage, September 2, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The pump really makes this dehumidifier special. I am replacing a really good Frigidaire dehumidifier with this one because the pump allows me to drain it using a bathroom shower drain. It is satisfying to see it push a little water droplet up over the shower's ledge and then down into the drain.

On my old dehumidifier without a pump, the water would collect in the leader hose, and I'm not sure if it would back up and leak, or eventually be pushed out. I used to lift up the whole unit regularly to drain the water from the hose, and was considering making some kind of stand for it. (My basement's sump pump is not in a good position for downward drainage.)

Noise

I am using this dehumidifier 24x7 to keep my basement's relative humidity around 50%. I don't hear it upstairs, so in my opinion, it is definitely quiet enough. It is roughly as quiet as the The fan runs constantly, but the compressor only kicks in when necessary.

Setup

This unit is really easy to set up, and comes with all the hoses necessary for either drainage option. (It appears you could also attach a normal leader hose/garden hose to the back, but I did not attempt this.) The controls are also self-explanatory (be sure to turn the pump on if you're using it, though!), and the control panel lights up and is easy to read.

Effectiveness

This dehumidifier works just fine. It has been keeping the humidity down without a hitch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Runs quieter than most, August 30, 2014
John S. Dean "John" (Sturtevant, WI United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First off, I have to say that from an aesthetics standpoint, this is the most visually appealing dehumidifier I've ever had. It wins hands down for the "least of an eyesore" award.

This one actually uses the exact same constant drainage hose (and plug) as the one I got a couple months ago (Whynter RPD-702WP), and since that one was already straightened out, I just used that one here since this one wouldn't straighten out at all when I tried to set things up. So first thing you'll want to do if you're going to use the little corrugated looking hose is to set it out with something weighing it down on the ends for a bit to get it to lose that coiled shape it has been stuck in.

I have a drain in the center of my basement, so I don't use the pump, just the constant drain hose. But the pump can raise water 13 feet (4m) vertically.

Since 2008 we've had two bouts of insane rainfall that just outpaced my sump pump, so twice I've had water come up the crock and spill into the basement. My basement isn't finished, I just use it for storage, but it's still an annoyance. But with that storage down there, I prefer to keep the humidity low, just to help keep things from having issues. I've gone through several dehumidifiers over the years, trying different ones as technology changes.

My last unit was a Whynter RPD-702WP that I really liked. The only downside it had was that it's "energy saver" feature was that the fan NEVER turns off. They claim that it uses more energy to stop and start it randomly than it does to leave the fan running 24/7. Maybe in an upstairs environment that may be true where doors or windows are opening and closing often and there's a lot more infiltration of moist air from outside to inside, but my basement just sits there unused, and the door is closed other than maybe once a month when I go down to store something. So I never really thought the unit would have experienced a great deal of on/off in my environment. Yet the fan runs 24/7. And, unfortunately, this one is the same design. The fan will run nonstop, just the compressor kicking in as needed to actually dehumidify. When it's in this "power save" mode the fan runs on low only, but annoyingly enough you can't ADJUST the fan speed at this mode if you want to change the setting, you must have the compressor going in order to tell it what fan speed you want it to run when it's actively dehumidifying. So to get the fan changed to "high" I had to crank the desired humidity down below the current humidity, and then the fan speed button would operate once it was dehumidifying. When I turned it back up to a higher humidity setting and it stopped pulling moisture from the air and just let the fan run on low, I couldn't change the fan speed again until I manually lowered the desired humidity level and selected the fan speed, then raised the desired humidity level again to where it should be. But since dehumidifiers are pretty much just a "set and forget" type of appliance, it's not a major issue, just a minor annoyance.

Buttons on this one are pretty standard. Power, a button to see the temp (it doesn't display the temp normally, the left number shows the actual humidity and the right number shows the target humidity), fan speed, the + and - buttons for humidity / timer control, a button to turn on the timer function, and the pump button. That's one spot that I liked this one better than my Whynter, since I liked being able to check the basement and see at a glance what my target humidity level was and the actual level. With the Whynter you had to hit a button since the one number always showed the temp by default, you only saw the target level when you hit the button, the opposite of how this works. This is actually my preferred way to have a display set.

The display also auto dims to a low setting a short period of time after you're done pressing buttons.

The unit is about the same noise level as my Whynter, so it's not noticeable from upstairs at all. Whether it's fan only or dehumidifying, just the small bit of ambient noise on the main floor is enough to drown it out. About the only time I notice it is if I listen for it when I go to sleep and there's no noise in the house other than the air purifier in the great room. Then I can just make out the quite hum.

This one's bucket is a bit stickier than the others I've used though, and has a tendency to try to pull the whole unit along on its wheels when you go to pull it out. The Whynter came out smoothly, as did my Frigidaire, but this one not so much. I have to kind of use my thumbs to "hold" the main unit still as I use my fingers to pull the bucket. The handle inside folds flat when you slide it in, and raises up to use to carry. It has a standard styrofoam float for shutting off the unit when the water level in the bucket rises to the full point. The air filter slider up inside so you have to pull the bucket out first to get at that. But at least unlike the bucket, the filter seems to pull out as easily as any other model I've used. And like the Whynter, this has a panel so you can see the water level in the bucket at a glance if you're using the bucket as the collection method.

When I tested it upstairs, the percentage showing was pretty spot on with my Ecobee smart thermostat, and both were within 1% of my standalone hygrometer, so this seems to be pretty accurate as far as its sensor goes.

You have your choice of the hoses, the shorter, larger diameter one that's like the accordion part of a bendy straw (without being able to hold its shape) and is about 3 feet long, and the thinner diameter one that's similar to the drain hoses you see on furnaces and other HVAC items, which is used for the pump and looks to be about 15 feet long or so. The pump option is great if you don't have a handy floor drain by where you want to use the unit, or if you prefer running it into a stationary tub or something similar. I've always used the constant gravity drains, and it's nice having something other than a cut end of a garden hose screwed onto the back of a dehumidifier, since those were not at all flexible and I always had to angle the dehumidifier a certin way to get the end of the hose to lay on the drain. I much prefer these more flexible hoses.

It did a fine job keeping my basement at a steady 45% RH, but it's difficult to really judge performance in that instance since it started out with a relatively low humidity since that's where I've kept it with the other dehumidifiers, and there's little air infiltration from the main floor since the door is always kept closed to the basement. Since we've been having quite a few hot, muggy, rainy days lately, I've left windows open around the house to get the humidity up high in the house, and had the air conditioner turned off. The next morning I plugged this in upstairs in my kitchen. I have an open concept house, so the kitchen, great room, and dining room all share a common peaked ceiling with no full walls dividing them, Just a 8 foot floating wall on one side of the kitchen that is the separation between it and the great room. I put the dehumidifier in there on high, set it for 45%, and let it run. When I began, the house was sitting in the mid 70's as far as humidity went. I had to use the bucket this time since I didn't have any convenient way to do the continuous drain, and didn't want the pump's small hose running across the floor to the sink (my 10 year old son would catch it with his feet probably every time he went past). All told it was about 3 1/2 hours for it to drop back down to the low fan flow for the "energy saving" operation, with the compressor turned off. Both the dehumidifier and the Ecobee thermostat on the other side of the wall registered 45 and 46% respectively.

All told I was on the fence now about which to use moving forward, this one or the Whynter. Both are pretty equal as far as noise levels go, both have the same energy "saving" feature of running their fans 24/7, but the Whynter is a 70 pint unit compared to this one's 50. But for my basement, which I keep at a constant low humidity, it's not going to make that much of a difference if I have a 50 or 70 down there. I do like that this one always displays both the current and desired humidity levels, whereas the Whynter only shows temp and current humidity, you have to press a button to see what your set point was. And the stickier bucket on this DeLonghi doesn't impact me as I use the constant drainage option. I just have to pull the bucket out occasionally to get at the filter to clean it. Not to mention, this one does look nicer down there.

There is no denying that this one is every bit as capable and quiet as my old one was, and it looks better to boot. So there's certainly no reason not to buy it if you're looking for the features it has and the 50 pint capacity suits your needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid unit -- pump feature is nice, September 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We have previously used a Kenmore dehumidifier and a Friedrich model that has a pump. Our basement drain is not in a convenient place, so we had to empty the Kenmore daily into a utility sink. The Friedrich was a big step up -- we could set the unit near the utility sink and have it pump the water it pulled from the air up into the sink. It worked pretty well--and we no longer had to make daily visits to the dehumidifier--but it wasn't that easy to control the "auto on" humidity levels, etc. We ended up leaving it running more than we needed it to be running.

That's where this DeLonghi comes in. It offers relatively intuitive digital controls that make programming the dehumidifier a snap. You can set the duration of cycles and so forth, using the display to follow the program. Pretty good set up.

Overall, the unit isn't incredibly heavy, but it seems to be well made. Will update this review if there is any change in performance over time.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit on the expensive side, September 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This machine does the job OK but it's rather expensive. I compared it to the Frigidaire FAD504DWD Energy Star 50-pint Dehumidifier which retails for $120 less and has a few less bells and whistles but basically does the same job. The DeLonghi gives you more control and more information for your extra bucks. It detects the amount of humidity in the room where it is placed and then allows you to set the amount you wish to have. It will then work either faster or slow depending the the fan speed you set to achieve that level. When it does so, it maintains the same level. The Frigidaire doesn't have all these settings.

Both machines work quietly and efficiently. I owned a Frigidaire which broke down after a couple of years of heavy use. I obviously can't say how durable the DeLonghi will be.

One criticism: the bucket that collects the water is difficult to pull out and then reinsert.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great!, September 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is actually our second dehumidifier by DeLonghi. They are both currently working on opposite ends of our basement. This 50 pint one holds a bit less water in its tank than our larger one, but seems just as powerful. What really makes these dehumidifiers great is that you can utilize either the bucket or the pump for the water removal. Currently we have the larger one running with the pump and this one we are using the built-in bucket to collect and then dump the water. But, I think this weekend we will be setting up the pump so that we don't have to empty the bucket so often. Our basement is quite large, and already you can tell the difference with both pumps working. So far we haven't had any problems with either!

5.0 out of 5 stars DeLonghi DD50PE Dehumidifier, September 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Having a basement that has a high relative humidity (68%), I wanted a dehumidifier that would not require me to make constant trips to it to empty a bucket. I saw this unit and decided to give it a try. Here is what I liked:

1. The unit is very easy for one person to move around on the floor (rollers) and not too heavy when it arrived in a box to move to where I wanted to put it. Note, this does not mean that it is light! I was just able to move it by myself without much fuss. Once out of the box, there are hand holds to pick the unit up with should you need to do that.

2. The instructions are simple and setup is fast. The only place that the instructions are lacking has to do with using the built in pump. If you try using the unit with just the bucket and then decide to switch to the pump (NOTE: pump hose connects up front at the bottom while gravity drain connects to the back near the upper half of the unit) you might get a pump blinking indicator. The directions only mention that you might not have connected the hose correctly. It should ALSO mention that if the unit has been running prior to doing this, you might need to drain the upper tank first!!! You can do this easily by removing the rubber plug at the top back (connection for the gravity drain) an removing the water. Then, replace the plug and everything works as it should. Please note, you might get some water on the ground doing this so do NOT do it on your carpet!!!!

3. Once set, the unit removes a LOT of water in a short amount of time!!! So, unless this is a one time use, I would suggest either using the gravity drain to a bucket or use the pump. I used the pump to drain to a sink which was 5 feet above the unit and it worked just fine.

4. The unit dims its display after a bit so it is not a bright light that is distracting. It is fairly quiet considering the amount of air it is moving. I use the high fan setting and it does not bother me being in the same room with it. If you were sitting next to it you might want to use the low setting which is very quiet.

5. When the unit reaches the set humidity level, the fan speed drops to low and the compressor does not run until the humidity level again becomes an issue. NOTE: The fan does NOT shut off, just reduces speed to a low level.

6. There is a timer feature that will turn the unit on and off if you should so desire.

What I did not like as much:

1. What I did not like as much was that the directions and trouble shooting manual did not mention that if the unit had been running, you need to drain the upper tank first for the pump to work properly (Blinking pump light when it should be steady). They seem to presume that you would not change your mind once you were using it.

Other than the one item mentioned above, the unit works great, looks good, is relatively quiet, and removes water like it should from the air. It took my basement (800 sq feet) from 67% humidity to 44% in 9 hours.

I would highly recommend this unit if you need a dehumidifier. Keep in mind that the rating for water removal is the maximum amount of water that the unit can remove in 24 hours and is NOT the size of the internal holding tank!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›