5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight yet powerful blender
Published on February 16, 2012 by Emily D. Agunod

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Published on July 10, 2012 by Val the Homeschooler

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, July 10, 2012
This review is from: DeLonghi DHB716 380-Watt Tri-Blade 2-Speed Handblender (Kitchen)
I bought this primarily to make mayonnaise and smoothies with frozen fruit, both of which came out great. The problem came when it was time to try out the chopper bowl. The blades wouldn't turn if there was food in the bowl -kind of defeats the purpose, right? I tried veggies. I tried boiled eggs. The motor just whirred and rotated ever so slowly. I tried contacting DeLonghi but when I didn't get a response a week after leaving a voice mail message, two emails, and holding on their customer service line for 15 minutes, I decided to send the whole thing back. I would have exchanged it for a non-defective unit, but I've concluded that since I already have a mini-chopper I'm happy with, I didn't need to spend the extra money for that feature. I'll just get a cheaper immersion blender. Plus, DeLonghi's customer service department does not inspire confidence.

You should also know it is heavy, but it's not like you're holding it a long time.I also thought a lot of my mayonnaise was irretrievably caught up in the blades of the unit, but maybe that's a hazard of any immersion blender.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight yet powerful blender, February 16, 2012
Emily D. Agunod (East Coast United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm very impressed with this handblender. I bought a Braun handblender when they first came out and it's pretty good although it took some pressure to puree items. And I always had to tap the blender to free the blades of chunks of food. Times have changed and this DeLonghi Triblade handblender is much more powerful with its turbo power motor. I made easy work of turning cooked rice and chicken into a puree for congee (Chinese porridge). I didn't have to clean out the blades and it only took seconds. For my purposes, which is mainly to use it for soups, it's perfect. I also like that the stem which holds the blade can be ejected and washed separately from the motor compartment, much like electric hand mixers.

Features:

- 1 speed + turbo feature which ensures consistency of ingredients
- ergonomic Suregrip rubber handle which is very easy to hold and operate (I have small hands)
- durable stainless steel triblades
- unique foot to maximize blending efficiency
- includes a 17 oz/0.5 l chopper jar that has a rubberized base and a lid so it can also be used a storage jar
- no splash technology with smaller exit paths that reduces splashing

This handblender is for household use only. It can be used to:

- blend baby food, soups, sauces, milk shakes and mayonnaise
- chop meat, vegetables, herbs, bread, biscuits and nuts

It is not meant to chop hard foods such as coffee beans, ice cubes or chocolate. It comes with a limited 1 year warranty against defects in material and workmanship. Applies only if appliance is used in accordance with factory direction which is included in the box. Uses alternating current (AC) only.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Chopper, October 27, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It's my experience with immersion blenders that they all do a great job of blending up the broccoli and broth to make rich broccoli soup or to turn grated potatoes, leeks and cream into Vichyssoise or to make the morning smoothie. If I had to use the standing blender to do those jobs, I wouldn't do those jobs. Too much mess. So like every corded immersion blender I've owned, this one works well. As a plus, unlike with some, bits don't get stuck on the immersed portion of the blender. Well done.

What is a constant aggravation to me with these products is the chopper accessory. I often want to grate or chop just a bit of something -- a bit too much for a hand grater (I love the Kitchen Aid model, though), not so much to need a bulky food processor, and washing all the accompanying parts. The problem is, while the immersion blender itself may be very well made and sturdy, the mini-choppers are often exceptionally, cheaply produced and don't last long. At all.

Make no mistake -- the mini-chopper included with this immersion blender is also plastic. But it has two advantages over the others I've owned (and broken and couldn't replace): the plastic is much better quality, and there are only three parts instead of the inexplicable many parts: the lid, the bowl, the blade. Chop, rinse, put away. No tiny bits to [sigh] fall into the disposal or right into the chopping bowl WHILE you're chopping. ("No dear, that's not a broken tooth. Tonight we're having plastic in the grated cheese. Enjoy!")

This mini-chopper might actually last awhile, I'm hopeful.

Two warnings: the lid will not come off the bowl without the motor part attached (anyway, I couldn't otherwise just twist it to remove), and that isn't mentioned in the manual; and only the blade and bowl portion can to into the dishwasher. Totally my fault, but I put the chopper bowl lid into the dishwasher and THEN learned it's a no-go. As a result, I can hear water sloshing inside so I've likely shortened the useful life of this product. My fault. Still, it's already admirably tackled several jobs, so I'm pleased with that.

(Did you know chickens LOVE grated apples and carrots? Handy, that chopper. And for the blender, maybe spinach soup tonight...)

QUICK UPDATE: First things first, leftover grilled tilapia and bell peppers chopped then mixed with a little mayo, a little horseradish, a spot of dry mustard. Should have added some of those grated apples and carrots. Next time! Everything easily, quickly hand washed and ready for the next project. Made a lovely luncheon spread. Would have been really good on soft sandwich rolls or baguette. Next time! Great way to use up leftover chicken, too.

UPDATE September 17, 2012: And the mini-chopper died. Crunch crunch crunch went bits of plastic into the ground coffee. And the two pieces of the blender no longer easily snap together. I liked this product, but it didn't last long enough. Will look for a quality immersion blender and forget the chopper bowl attachments. It held up for almost a year, so that's better than ever, but not good enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Meets Expectations, September 22, 2012
I bought this blender primarily for soups and sauces because I don't like having to pour the hot material into the regular blender.

This stick blender does the job beautifully. I have blended soups that start out quite chunky and it turns then smooth in seconds. I also used the bowl to chop dried fruit and it performed that task well.

It is essy to take apart for cleaning and to change from using it to blend in a pot to using the blender bowl.

On second thought.....

Since I wrote the original review I have had many more months of using this blender. The stick blender still works beautifully and does a great job blending, particularly soups which is my primary use. However, it is useless for chopping. I got it to chop cranberries 2-3 times when I first got it. Now you put the fruit or nuts in the bowl, attached the blade and it whirs and whirs but the blade does not move.

1.0 out of 5 stars Chopper attachment never worked, March 19, 2013
At first I thought it had something to do with the wattage in my house. Turns out it didn't. Instead it was a serious design flaw in the chopper attachment that causes the blade to 'slip' whenever I turned it on. After briefly considering a MacGyver solution that could have destroyed my warranty, I instead checked out all the other negative reviews and lack of helpful information from the company itself and decided to return it.

No noticeable difference between 'turbo' and normal blending either.

One of the few Tim Ferriss recommendations that have turned out to be a huge disappointment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Will It Blend?, May 31, 2012
H. Kennedy (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
I "bought" this blender using airmiles and I'm pleasantly surprised by it's performance so far. This blender features a fairly robust connection between the blade and the power unit. It's no Robot Coupe(tm) but it also doesn't cost $1500. The two-speed power unit attaches to the blade with two plastic latch snaps that automatically snap in place upon firm contact. Two buttons on the power unit must be pushed in simultaneously to release the unit. The metal blade housing is 2¾" wide and can be immersed 7½", the total length of the unit with the blade attached is 15½". The metal blade housing contains resilient plastic recessed into the metal housing. The sheer size of the blade housing allows it to stand alone while you do other tasks, but a light tap will topple it because it's top heavy, so be careful. The two power options are more than adequate to mix most foods and liquids. It pulls down when on; therefore, it's best to angle it while blending to avoid over mixing the bottom portion of your food. This DeLonghi blender replaces an ancient Braun immersion blender. The DeLonghi is far superior like the six million dollar man: better, stronger, faster.

The "food processor" unit is just icing on the cake. It has step down gearing connecting the power unit to the blade, but it blends fast nonetheless. Short burst blending is recommended, otherwise things like chopped nuts will quickly turn to nut butter. Peeled frozen garlic cloves are destroyed fast and furious. It's not designed for crushing ice. The lid snaps on and off by rotation and the power unit attaches by way of the latch snaps as mentioned previously.

Note: never force the power unit on the blade or processor units as there is the possibility of conflict; a slight wiggle allows the parts to mesh correctly if there's resistance.

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid product, December 7, 2012
Solid but its not variable speed. That means if you try to mix fluids in a shallow cup or bowl there's gonna be food everywhere. But you can tell the quality is there int the balance of the motor and the finish of the plastic, its a solid appliance...note that the mixing head is lined with teflon or some other plastic, so if you're going for an all metal solution this ain't for you. If you're looking for a powerful mixer then this might be it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty chopper attachment, June 13, 2013
I had a Braun stick blender before I purchased this one. I was really sad when my Braun finally broke, it was a really good product, but you can't get them here anymore. I thought the Delonghi was a good choice, but I'm not so sure about that anymore. I have had this product for 8 months. I use the stick blender on a regular basis for soup. The stick blender works fine, but I the "turbo" and "regular" blending speeds seem to be the same speed. I don't use the chopper attachment on a regular basis. I think today might be the third time I've used it. The problem is that the blade doesn't spin, it sounds as if it is slipping inside. I can't return it to Amazon because I've had it for more than 6 months. I'm trying to contact DeLonghi (as I'm writing this review) to see if they can send me a replacement (the product has a 1 year warranty) but they constantly place my call on hold. The customer service is not that great, it's really frustrating. I've been on the phone for more than an hour and I've finally been told that they would send me a replacement part. I will update this review if necessary.

2.0 out of 5 stars Chopper attachment hasn't worked on 3 in a row, June 7, 2013
P. Bayless (Marietta, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
Recommended by Tim Ferriss, I bought this handblender DeLonghi DHB716 380-Watt Tri-Blade 2-Speed Handblender and was excited to use it. It spins just fine with nothing in the chopper container - the chopper attachment didn't work on the first one with ANY food in the chopper container. Similar to the below review, it's a design flaw that causes the blade connection to the motor to "slip" whenever it's turned on and has any resistance against the chopper blades. So I returned it to Amazon and they overnighted me a new one. Same problem with the 2nd one. Amazon is sending me a third replacement and, if that one has the same problem, I'll just return it and find another product. Bummer -- I REALLY like using the handblender by itself and hope this chopper works.

UPDATE: The chopper attachment didn't work on the THIRD replacement either. Great handblender but Chopper attachment doesn't work.

2.0 out of 5 stars awesome til it died, May 19, 2013
I love, love, loved this hand blender, very powerful, splatter proof, super fast chopper, tri-blade pureed to creamy smooth in seconds.... then it died, I had it for under 3 weeks. They very nicely sent a replacement motor, the replacement was NOT as powerful, even sounded different, didn't puree no matter how long I blended, left everything 'grainy'. The tasks I did before it now could not do. I asked for another replacement motor, to send this one back as it wasn't right or to return, stating I loved how this worked before. They said return for refund. Until it died, it was the best hand blender I'd ever used.

DeLonghi DHB716 380-Watt Tri-Blade 2-Speed Handblender