2,731 Reviews
 (1,279)

2,415 of 2,447 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Great espresso, incredible price!
I love espresso, and this little baby makes a great cup. Here are a few points that might be useful for you to know:

Good points:
*It doesn't take up too much room on the counter and looks nice with it's silver metal accents.
Published on April 23, 2007 by Jennifer Smith

1,184 of 1,285 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Reluctantly sending it back
I really wanted to like this machine, I thought DeLonghi had given us an affordable pump-drive cappuccino maker. And it just isn't quite.

(n.b. I'm trying to get customer images up. If the technical difficulty goes away please refer to my customer images for visual reference.)

Things to like:
1. Pump drive! So much better than steam pressure...
Published on July 12, 2007 by M. Snell

2,415 of 2,447 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Great espresso, incredible price!, April 23, 2007
Jennifer Smith (Santa Barbara, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: De'Longhi EC155 15 BAR Pump Espresso and Cappuccino Maker (Kitchen)

Good points:
*The water reservoir is a good size, you can make about 8-10 shots before you need to refill it, which is very easy to do, and there is a clear section behind the basket which shows the water level.
*Fast heat-up time (only about a minute), good frothing wand, no wait time between frothing and brewing (though you do have to wait a little between brewing and frothing).

Be warned:
*Frothing wand is only 3 1/4 inches from the counter top. Not a big deal, I just went and bought a frothing cup that is about that height.
*Distance from grounds basket to tray is only 2 1/2 inches, I usually use a small espresso cup.
*Built-in tamper sucks, buy a good metal one.
*You don't end up with a nice dry puck, the grounds basket is a watery soup after your espresso is made, so I dump it down the disposal.
*You will end up drinking more espresso than you mean to, it's that good!

Seriously, I chose this machine after a lot of online researching, and decided on this one based on its outstanding reviews and great price. What led me to it were the reviews of another DeLonghi, the EC140B, which is an older and less attractive model, but had reviews from people who had owned theirs for 6 and 10 years! I'm hoping that this one will have the same longevity.

-----> UPDATE: I've now had this machine for 8 months and it started running very slow. I'd been using only distilled water, so I knew it wasn't a calcification issue, so I looked into it and it turns out machines like this one (no backflushing) need to be cleaned every month or so to remove built up grounds that work their way inside the machine. So I ran some cleaner through it and all this nasty brownish liquid came out, and now it runs great again! So remember people, take good care of your things and they will take good care of you. A lesson I am still learning...
- and to answer a question commented on this review, my tamper is 2 inches in diameter.

1,285 of 1,309 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Process of elimination, January 1, 2008
First, a couple of disclaimers:
1. This is the first pump-driven espresso machine that we have owned.

2. We generally drink cafe Americano, which is an espresso with a little added hot water (or cold water with an iced Americano). We make an occasional cappuccino and have thus used the steam wand, but not extensively.

After doing a cost/benefit analysis in regards to our current cafe Americano habit (~10 per week), we realized that there would be some justification to buying a home unit. We first considered the Breville ESP8XL Cafe Roma Stainless Espresso Maker, but reviewers consistently lamented the unit's tendency to clog the filter, necessitating time-consuming cleaning. Also, not being completely sure that we would actually use the espresso maker, we balked at the $250 price tag.

We also considered moving up to one of the superautomatico machines that grind, tamp, brew and dispose of the grinds, but we worried about the reliability of technology that had only recently hit the consumer-grade appliances. After reading zillions of reviews, we realized that every mid-priced machine had some glaring flaw and, in the end, we decided to buy an inexpensive pump-driven unit and wait for the technology to catch up before investing a huge chunk of change in an espresso machine. Moving our investigation to low-end espresso makers, we were impressed by the reviews of the DeLonghi EC155 and purchased it from Amazon.

I put off writing a review in order to make sure that the DeLonghi was going to last until we had at least broken even on it. We received it in mid-July and since then it has produced about 200 double shots flawlessly. By my reckoning, that's about $400 worth of Americanos at the local cafe. Even considering the price of the coffee, we have more than broken even. So, here's our pros and cons:

PROs
- Price--we paid $91.28.
- Crema Production--this unit consistently produces a thick layer of delicious crema.
- Powerful Stream Wand--Easily froths milk.
- Mechanicals--After six months of nearly daily use this mighty-mite works as well as it did the day it arrived.
- Easy Cleanup--Filter cleans easily.

CONs
- Ergonomics--As other reviewers have noted, there could be a little more room between the area where the cup sits and the output nozzle. Also the steam wand could be longer.
- Features--No cup warmer. Not a big deal to us, especially considering the price of the EC155, but it will put off some buyers.

SOME THINGS WE HAVE LEARNED
- Using a coffee especially made for espresso, such as Lavazza, produces a much better espresso. Lavazza has the added benefit of allowing you to go for hours without blinking.
- Preheating the unit for 15 minutes and warming the cups in the microwave improves the results and experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great espresso with crema! With answers to others negatives, August 29, 2011
leilei (Honolulu HI) - See all my reviews
I am Italian, born and raised. Moved to US at 30 yrs old. Moved to an area where there's no Italian-American influence, no chance of going out for an espresso. Only Starbucks... no thanks. Thought I could go by without espresso for 6 years (what was I thinking??? I don't know). Then sudden espresso cravings made me buy this espresso machine. De Longhi is a very common brand in Italy for any type of home appliances. I've had this machine for 6 months now, using it every day. It's awesome. Like the espresso cup you'd get in Italy "al bar". It gives a thick layer of "crema" on top of each cup.

Here some answers to other reviewers' cons:

* somebody wrote the water was not coming out and returned the machine: you need to bang the water tank real hard in position, otherwise it doesn't connect. It happened to me first time using it... I thought machine was defective too because coffee was not coming out. My husband banged it in there and started working right away.

* ground basket is soupy: with espresso machines you have to fill the basket to its fullest, nothing like drip machines. You need to have coffee heaping out like an upside-down cone and then gently press it down with the tamper. Don't press too hard otherwise the water doesn't make it through.

* built-it tamper sucks: this puzzles me. A tamper is whatever flat surface you have handy. In Italy people don't use tampers, considered a fancy thing for coffee shops. People just uses the back of a spoon to tamper the coffee down. The spoon that comes with this machine is perfect for that by the way. You just need a flat round surface of same diameter to have a great tamper. The built-in one works great. You only need a minor pressure otherwise you compact coffee too much.

* takes long to heat up: maybe older version? Not sure about this. Mine is ready in one minute or less.

* no cup warmer: in the manual says the top metal part is the cup warmer. It is warm if you let it warm up. I personally live in warm climate so don't need cup warmer, plus the coffee comes out very hot. True that there's no railing so cups can fall off easily (done that...).

* frothing wand placement/length: I can't say much about it because I don't make cappuccino, I just drink straight espresso, black. One thing I'd say is that cappuccino in Italy is not what you know as cappuccino here, size wise. This may explain the wand dimensions. In Italy cappuccino is a single shot of espresso, with some frothed milk on top. When I say some, I mean really a little bit. The total output is less than one cup size for your cappuccino. That is very small. So when you need to heat up your milk, in theory you'd use a very small and short brick. If you'd see one of these you wouldn't believe it probably.

* bitter coffee: this is very important. Espresso is supposed to be a very sweet cup of coffee. I never got used to the drip coffee or store bought cup of coffee just because it's too bitter. Not used to it. The difference is in the roast and grind. You cannot use coffee you'd use in the drip machine for the espresso machine. For your first espresso, just buy Illy ground espresso coffee. I recommend the black label. Just try it and that is your standard to compare other coffee to. That is the sweet taste you should get. I also recommend to buy pre-ground coffee, because the grind for espresso requires a serious (expensive) burr grinder, professional level to obtain a fine and homogeneous coffee suitable for these type of machines.

To buy ground coffee, a cheaper option (cheaper than Illy) is Lavazza. I recommend "Crema e Gusto". This is the most commonly used brand in Italian families, that's all I drank in my family for instance. The "Crema e Gusto" variety gives a nice espresso.

I think I covered all the points I wanted. I will add if realize I forgot something worth mentioning :-)
Enjoy your coffee!

1,184 of 1,285 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Reluctantly sending it back, July 12, 2007

Things to like:
1. Pump drive! So much better than steam pressure machines. It works pretty well too.

2. The espresso comes out very good (though in small amounts, see below). All 3 proper layers are discernable, crema is especially satisfactory.

3. The removable tank is very handy. And large.

4. Price is right, I don't think there's a more affordable machine with such quality performance "guts".

These pluses are solid reasons to own this machine.

Why I am returning it:
1. The holder for espresso grounds is WAY too small. There are two of them and the bigger one is less than half the size of any standard equipment. Unless you only ever plan to pull 2oz at a time the espresso will come out weak. I usually pull 2-3 shots minimum and can't be bothered to pull, empty, and tamp for every 2 oz I want.

2. The frother is so low to the counter that even a small frothing pitcher won't fit under it. Boo.

3. The wand is so shallow that I cannot properly froth any decent amount of milk since the wand only goes down into the very top of the milk. Also boo. I can't make milk stretch with this gizmo and it's one of the reasons I picked this machine.

4. The only thing that fits under the espresso spout is a shot glass or espresso cup. 2 inches of clearance offers no flexibility for pulling into a mug or small pitcher. I could have lived with this if 1-3 were not already problems.

All of these issues, which I consider design flaws, could easily be corrected in a product redesign. The internal works are fine. A taller machine with a longer wand would fix all my problems. As is it takes too long to get coffee I don't want and there's always a clean-up mess.

I started with a super-cheap steam drive machine and upgraded to this one expecting an affordable way to take my coffee production to the next level. This machine should be great and instead it's just frustrating.

If you're only looking for a small shot in some modest foam and don't mind some hassle this is a fine machine. I regrettably will be looking for something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome pump driven machine for the $$, March 24, 2007
Maddi the Pup (Bloomington, IN USA) - See all my reviews
I was always skeptical of expensive espresso machines and wondered why anyone would pay hundreds of dollars for an expensive machine. It turns out that the more expensive and quality machines are "pump-driven" rather than the typical "steam driven" found at your local Wally World and such. A pump driven machine will hit pressures 4-5 times greater than that of a steam driven machine and gets much better extraction from the espresso grinds (better flavor) and are the only machines capable of generating the "chrema" foam at the top of the espresso.

The DelLonghi EC155 is an excellent budget machine found for under $100 that is pump driven. I was happy with my old steam driven Delonghi, but once I received this I realized that I didn't even know what I was missing. This espresso is as good or better than anything you'll get in a nice Italian restaurant or at your local Charbucks. The chrema that this thing produced is flat out great (you'll get a nice 1/4 layer of tasty emulsified foam). The convenience of pulling a single shot is great too, and you really only need the machine to warm up a few minutes before you pull a shot.

The best feature about this machine in my humble opinion is that it is E.S.E certified (easy serve espresso). This means that you can pick up the ESE certified pods from Charbucks or a good online pod retailer and not have to go to the trouble of grinding and tamping. This is a HUGE feature that even some more expensive machines do not have and is what eventually sold me on this unit. Having grown accustomed to the convenience of pod coffee, it was only natural to look for the same thing in my espresso machine. Do note that coffee (senseo style) pods will not work in here as those are much larger than the ESE certified pod. Try a nice blend from Baronet or another find espresso brand and you won't be sorry.

I highly recommend this machine. In short, it has fantastic features for the money, makes awesome espresso chrema, and it ESE certified for pod use. You will definitely not do any better than this machine for under $100.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be your own $-Bucks, April 29, 2009
Having had this gem in my possession for a month now, I can give it highest marks for quality, performance and value. In reading the many other reviews that steered me to this unit, I think I might have a few solutions for common concerns.
1) Buy the Bodum cups, Terry's tamper and the Krupp's 20 oz short squat milk frother. You owe it to yourself to have some nice accoutrements and these will give you much bang-4-the-buck enjoyment with this unit. As you have gathered, the range of the nozzle and clearance of the cup space are compact; these items work perfectly with the EC155.
2) The coffee pods work well but are not the end-all be-all and I find grinding some French roast to a fine consistency (Mr. Coffee grinder) filling the "double" filter basket and tamping firmly provides a better cup of espresso.
3) I am currently using distilled water and do a flush run (basket with no coffee) once a week. Yes, some gunk will flush out.
4) I use the nozzle to pre-warm the Bodum cup as it shoots a bit of water when first activated. Once clear, I use the steam for cappuccino if desired.
5) I keep the Krupps frothing cup in the freezer and use Soy milk. I'm sure neither of these are essential but my wife is lactose intolerant. This works well for small quantities of foam and hot milk.
6) I pull a ~1.5oz shot with the crema being a ~1/2 inch in the cup.
Total time runs around 20 seconds (but who's counting)
6) Unlike other reports, I have yet to find a nasty puddle of grinds in the filter basket; a damp solid plug remains.
7) I may have a defective filter holder but when I use the thumb lever to hold the basket in place to dump the grings, a sharp piece of plastic is exposed. I plan to Dremmel grind this to avoid further cuts.

Well, there you have my review. I figure payback on a unit like this is 35 nice cups. I have 2 to go, never have to stand on line and the Bodum Pavina cups beat paper in function, form and style. While reviews of these cups suggest fragility, I have yet to ding one and wash them by hand. Don't imagine you'd want them near the microwave.

This is the fourth espresso machine I've owned since 1983 and by far, the best. The espresso consistently comes out dark, rich and very flavorful. I use a pinch of sugar and a twist of lemon peel to round out the flavors. My last Krupp's ran ~$200 and was problematic after a month of use. Reports here suggest these units have a reasonable life-span if cleaned and used correctly. Given the cost at gourmet coffee stands these days, I consider this both a luxury and an investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised!, February 9, 2010
First, a little about why this machine is perfect for someone like me. I live with my coffee-hating boyfriend, meaning that I will be the only one using the machine. I typically drink a 12 oz latte once or twice a day. If you have a large family or frequently entertain, you may want a machine that can more readily steam large quantities of milk and pull several shots within in a short period of time.

I used to work in a coffee shop and became up close and personal with a professional machine that probably cost the company upwards of ten grand. Before now, I never even considered having a home espresso machine because I had assumed that a quality machine would be far out of my price range. Seeing that this (under $100) model was the best selling espresso machine on Amazon with great reviews, I was skeptical, but very interested.

I ordered the machine along with a 12-ounce steaming pitcher, thermometer, tamper, and espresso shot glasses. The first latte that I prepared took me about ten minutes from the time I turned the machine on to the cleanup. This includes grinding the beans while waiting it to warm up, pulling the shot, and finally steaming the milk. I used Starbucks espresso beans and plain soy milk. It was delicious! I was very pleased.

As far as some of the complaints people have had:

1. "The steam wand is too close to the counter": If you have to use a pitcher larger than 12 ounces, either find a wide and shallow pitcher or do what I did -- buy a counter top space-saving shelf and sit the machine on top of it. Problem solved!

2. "The steam wand has plastic threads": This is true, and certainly cause for concern if you take the steam wand tip off frequently. However, it would be very hard to strip the threads by screwing it on the wrong way. If you have it lined up correctly, it screws back on with great ease. If you feel any resistance, you're doing it wrong.

3. "The steam wand spurts out hot water": It does. Before I put the wand into the pitcher of milk, I just let it sputter for a second. Even if I didn't, the amount of water is so small that it certainly wouldn't cause the finished drink to become watered down.

4. "The machine produces fake crema": I must admit that I'm no coffee snob, but having worked at a cafe, I know what things should taste like. I have no idea how crema could be "fake" but I'll just say that the result tastes as it should.

5. "The machine's performance degrades after about a year of use": Obviously, I can't confirm nor deny this as I've only had the machine for a week, but after doing some rough calculations, this is how cost effective the machine is:

One year of a 12-ounce Starbucks latte 4 days a week: $800
One year of 12-ounce homemade latte 4 days a week: $325

Even if you add the cost of having to replace this machine once a year, you've still saved almost 50%!

I conclude that this thing works great for the price tag, more than pays for itself and is cost effective. Not to mention all of those paper cups you won't be wasting!

--------------------------------
UPDATE: 8 MONTHS OF USE
--------------------------------

My machine is still kicking after eight months. It does take slightly longer to warm up than when I first got it, but the warm up time has remained constant for the past seven months. I've been using nothing but distilled water in it, using it daily and cleaning it about once a month. I've found that grinding the espresso really fine yields a much stronger shot, which is what I want. The shot takes longer to pull when you do this, especially when packed very tightly. I'm still very happy with my purchase and at this point, I believe that it has paid for itself. Especially now that I no longer go to Starbucks (except to buy beans)!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Espresso, September 30, 2009
My wife purchased this for me. I have used a Steam Powered machine for a very long time until one day she told me that the steam machine wasn't extracing very well, still had dry coffee in the basket. Wether I did a slight pack or not. She worked in a coffee shop for some years, so she would know. I was skeptical, as I always am about devices. But, I gave it a shot.

Plus, after trying a few other Iced Latte's from good coffee shops (not $tarbuck), and trying to make them at home and finding they weren't the same no matter what I did, or the coffee I used, I told her to buy me a good one. She found this one. For the price, it is a very good machine.

A Steam Powered Machine might give you the symbolance of espresso, all it really is, is a concentrated coffee. Not the true flavor of espresso. The problem is, it heats the water far too hot and powers the water through the coffee extracting more than just the essance of flavor that is espresso. Has a tendancy to burn the grounds as water is forced through the medium.

Pump Driven Machines, are far more subtle in that they allow a proper tempreture of water to flow more fluid, and not be forced by high pressure steam.

One other important factor. If you notice, Steam Drivem Machines produce a grit in the bottom of the pot. This doesnt happen with a pump driven machine. Or at least, not this one.

If you are like me and have used Steam Powered Machines for years. DO NOT treat this machine like one of those. Steam Powered Machines are extremely inferior. The amounts of coffee you use in those is far more and the extraction is completely different than a quality pump driven machine.

(Yoda Voice) You will need to unlearn what you have learned.

The build quality of this EC155 seems to be quite solid. I do get a whistle during extraction tht is caused by the frother valve. I can make it stop by turning the valve on top, but then water comes out of the steam tube. It can be annoying at first, but I don't think it is doing any damage. I will work with it and see if I can make it stop.

Use Espresso coffee. A very good dark roast, not just any dark roast will do. If you don't like a strong coffee, then you can use a dark or medium roast. But, for me, I like strong, so only a very good Espresso Dark Roast will do. Illy Coffee, or probably Lavazza. And use an Espresso Grind, nothing finer or courser. It is important. However, I did make a grind mix from turkish to espresso grind and that has worked well also. There are a lot of coffee blends out there, and it can take a few tries to find a good one that produces a good flavor. This has nothing to do with the quality of the machine, but the qaulity of the coffee. You can try the grocery store, but chances are, they won't have a good quality espresso type bean there. None of mine do. I did buy a can of pre-ground Illy Espresso. It's good, but far too expensive (approx. $30/lb). We have a local coffee roaster and thier Espresso blends are as good or better for $12 a pound.

Do not tamp too hard. I have been tamping a bit too hard. If you need to know, press on a bathroom scale to about 30 lbs, it is less and more than you think. The proper tamp does make a huge difference. Basically, I have it down to, place coffee in basket (single or double, they are the same motion), press slightly to level it out, then a bit more pressure and a twist to smooth out the surface. It takes a bit of practice to get a firm but level, smooth pack. Then just push any excess from rim into or off the basket and you are ready.

One other little thing,,, the shot splitter. I am not sure I am impressed with it. It doesn't appear consistant enough to pull 2 equally single shots at the same time. I am skeptical of this feature on any unit, not just this one.

My machine is ready within about 5 min, I then pull an empty shot or two. Then load a shot and pull that one. It is not 15 to 45min like some, and even the book says. However, the book times may promote some nuances, that might make some difference on some level, that I personally just don't really care about. Give me my coffee and shut up.

The diameter of the basket is 54mm

Buy a tamper. The built in one is not that great. Difficult to get a proper pack.
A 52mm Tamper I think is the perfect size. I am using a meat mallet (smooth side, duh)
that is 50mm and it works just fine.

On the bottom of the baskets is a knob that you can remove for cleaning. Loosen completely and then tighten to just the point of tension. This will allow better extraction.

Find, buy or get a 2 oz espresso shot glass. It makes measuring the shot much easier

When pulling a shot,,, depending on the pack and the grind, could be about 15 to 17 seconds for a double. About 7 to 10 sec for a single.

After pulling a shot and removing the basket, yes, you will see that the coffee is wet, with water on top, and sometimes a little soupy on top. But, it really is not as big a deal as others might make it out to be. It still pulls a very good shot. Again, this is not your Steam Powered Espresso Machine.

This is much, much, much,much better.

The lever to hold the basket in when emptying is a little quirky. But, once you learn how to use it, it really is helpfull in preparing a second shot quickly.

The frother, however, can be an issue. And I am still working with it. It's not perfect, but it does work. Not something I will use often, as I drink iced mocha and iced latte. It does have a tendancy to pump water through, instead of steam, if it is not heated up properly. This may just be my unit. But, could be a deal breaker for some, if you experience the same. You do want to use an emtpy glass or something to make sure the tubbing is clear first. One it gets started, it seems to be ok for a bit. But again, it takes time to heat up, so, this may be where and why the book states those time frames. Again,, I can pull a fully hot shot in less than 5 min though. Steaming milk is a different story. I think (cause I haven't tried this) if you turn it on the steam heat side for about 15 min, clear the tubing, steam/froth your milk, then pull the shot, it sould be fine.

With that said, if you still have your old steam machine, and it does a good job of frothing milk, if you find the steamer on this one inadaquate, then keep the other as a frother, that is what I am doing.

I say, buy the machine and test it yourself. The shots are Really, really good. Not a single steam machine out there can even come close.

Over all,, for the money,, it is not a bad machine. Yes, you can do better, but you will spend 2 to 10 times the money.
If you have the money to spend, then get a better Machine. If not, this machine is very worth it.

4 stars for ease of use, quality of shot, lost one for the frother and wand is short.

Iced Latte

24oz mug, cup, or something
2 x double shots espresso
2 1/2 scoops sugar (not splenda if you can help it)
If you want a mocah, use 1 1/2 scoops sugar (or to taste) and 1 scoop chocolate syrup
About 1 cup ice

Put sugar in mug, pull 2 double shots espresso, and pour in mug
Stir till disolved, pour in ice and stir till cold, then pour milk to full

Better than any Starbucks (or thier cra-frapaccino in a bottle), as good as Carribou Cafe, or any other Coffee shop. And cheaper.

4.0 out of 5 stars great machine if used correctly - here's how, February 11, 2012
HappyFloridian (FL, United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this machine because I love lattes and I was tired of paying Starbucks $3-4 a cup every day. I've never owned an espresso machine, I'm not a barista (just the opposite), and I'm usually challenged when it comes to everything kitchen & cooking related. That's why I ALMOST RETURNED THE MACHINE THINKING IT'S A BROKEN PIECE OF JUNK. The instructions that come with it are super confusing for someone who's never done espressos and milk frothing. I watched tens of YouTube videos, still unclear. People proudly show you the crema (foam) on their espresso shots and the milk foam, but don't explain how to make it.

Once you understand how to use it, this machine makes PERFECT espressos and lattes ALL THE TIME. I've used it for a month every day 1-2 times a day without any problems now. My lattes are better than Starbucks, always topped with thick layers of foam, always fresh. Here's what you need to do:

1) Turn on the machine to the wave position and leave it on for about 20 minutes -- it's A MUST. Unless the machine is warm enough, it won't work. The manual says you can use it as soon as the green light turns on. Well, the green turns on almost immediately but the machine is not really warm, which will make your espresso taste like drain water. So be patient!

2) Place a small coffee mug under the coffee basket (forget the shot glass). I use some of those cute European Ikea coffee mugs, they fit perfectly! Those of you trying to place huge cups under the machine, remember this is an espresso machine meant to produce tiny shots not super-sized coffee drinks.
Turn the knob to the cup/water drain position and wait for your espresso to pour into the cup. Now, here's the FIRST TRICKY PART: the green light might turn off now, which might may you think you need to stop the machine and wait for it to heat again. Well, don't! Just let the machine pour the quantity of espresso you want into the cup, then turn the knob back to the wave position.

If you only want espresso, you're done! If you want latte, keep reading!

3) Put milk into a milk frothing jug/cup, etc. I use a 12oz. stainless steel jug I got from Marshall's for $5, and fat-free or 1% milk. Pour only the quantity of milk required for one drink.
Turn the knob all the way to the left to the steam position and once again wait for the green light. Make sure the plastic tip on the steaming wand is tightly screw in, if it's loose the steam will escape on top of the wand rather than in your milk. When the green light is on, open the steam knob on top of the machine at least half way to full. At first, I thought that opening the steam knob a little is enough but that doesn't get you enough steam. You MUST open the knob close to full to get good steam. Dip the wand into the milk, but submerge only half of the plastic tip. Don't fully submerge the plastic tip or the metal wand in the milk. Now wait for your milk to froth and get warm regardless of the noises the machine makes, and regardless of whether the green light goes on and off. A lot of people tell you to submerge the wand -- it's a mistake. Others tell you to stop the frothing when the green goes off and continue when the green re-appears. Don't , don't, don't! Just forth the milk in one session till it's foamy and hot enough.

About the machine itself:
1) It's very small, but that to me is a plus (limited counter space).
2) You can only do 1 drink at a time. After the 20-min warming time, making one drinks takes about 2-3 minutes.
3) The steaming wand on the machine is indeed short, you can only fit a small 12 oz jug.
4) It rattles and shakes similarly to boiling water on a stove, it's noisy compared to a regular coffee maker that doesn't make any sound. But it's NOT extremely noisy.

What I like the most:
1) Price! with the sales rebate, I got this machine for $60! I still have to receive the rebate, but I trust I will.
2) You can use your own coffee (whatever type of coffee you want, freshly ground or otherwise), and your own fresh milk. I considered buying a Keurig or a Tassimo for the convenience of using latte and cappuccino pods, but I hated the thought of drinking all the sugar and chemicals and preservatives in those things. With this espresso machine, you work a little more for your latte, but it's fresher and way cheaper.

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes good espresso, a few design flaws, January 12, 2008
Steven Smith (Boulder, CO United States) - See all my reviews
I have been using this machine for 3 months now and I still use it often. It makes very good espresso, but I'm still trying to refine my technique. The only other espresso machine I have owned is a steam driven machine, but I never used it because it was tough to use and it just made strong coffee. This machine makes a nice espresso and you can get a good crema.

Other reviews have noted that the steam wand is too close to the counter. It is close to the counter, but I don't think it is all that tough to use. Get a steaming pitcher that is not too tall and it will work just fine.

The machine has a built in plastic tamper that is nearly impossible to use. I don't find I can put the 40 or 50 lbs of pressure on my puck by pushing upwards, while also pushing down on the machine. When you push down on the machine, you push down on the cup warmer. If you always have cold hands, you might enjoy this aspect of the machine. I bought a metal tamper from an Amazon reseller, the 2" size works wonderfully.

The grounds basket is poorest of all designs on the machine. The basket is too easy to remove from the handle, so when you try to dispose of the puck, many times the basket goes right into the garbage with the grounds. Now, you have a basket that just had 190 degree water run through it in the garbage and you are trying to fish it out. Many times, I just run water over the puck and send it down the drain. Ugh!

I find the water reservoir size to be adequate for my coffee drinking needs. It is also very easy to remove from the machine and fill up.

The basket issue is the only design flaw I haven't found a work around for. I give this a machine a thumbs up based on the price and quality of espresso that comes out. If you would use this machine every day, I recommend spending a little more money on a better designed machine. I use this on the weekends and I find the flaws acceptable for paying so much less than other machines.