5.0 out of 5 stars Compact. Super. Automatic.
Published on January 24, 2012 by One Wolf

2.0 out of 5 stars "ground too fine" problems
I purchased this machine in July 2012 from a local department store. Following is my original review from August 2012. Scroll to the bottom for updated (and much less positive) feedback.

Original Review:

Published 20 months ago by My Cat's Name Is Bernie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact. Super. Automatic., January 24, 2012
This review is from: DeLonghi ECAM22110SB Compact Automatic Cappuccino, Latte and Espresso Machine (Kitchen)
We bought this after a couple of months looking (unsuccessfully) for a replacement for our 15-year-old krups drip brewer which we loved until it finally pooped out and started leaking like a sieve. At some point in our search we said "maybe we should get serious." This is the first super automatic espresso machine we've ever owned so I can't compare it to anything but I will say this: we love it.

We knew enough to know that "super automatic" is important if you don't like the actual manual process of making espresso (we don't) and since this one doesn't actually say "super automatic" but rather "compact automatic" I was a little confused but eventually learned that compact automatic just means it's a super automatic with a smaller footprint. For those really ignorant like us: Super Automatic means you fill the bean bin and the water bin once every so often, and then it's ready to go. When you want a drink - you turn it on and press a button - single espresso, double espresso, single lungo, or double lungo. Then you watch as it makes a bunch of interesting noises then fills your cup with beautiful, steaming hot frothy coffee. Then you drink it. Super automatic.

The benefit of a compact super automatic is the smaller footprint of course. The downside is that you have to fill the bean and water reservoirs (and empty the dregs basin) more frequently than "regular size" super automatic. For us it is about twice a week - two adults home all day and we like coffee. We're actually probably going through more than normal right now because we're enjoying playing and experimenting with strengths, mixes, quantities, etc. It has been a few days and already I've figured out my tastes but it's still fun trying new things.

If you love coffee and want to treat yourself - this is a winner. The small footprint is nice - it doesn't look like a commercial espresso machine sitting on our counter (though it's bigger than a regular drip maker). Again I don't have anything to compare it to since this is our first one but I can't think of anything about it we don't like. You have to remove the outside part of the steamer/frother to clean it, or you can leave it off when you froth and avoid that cleaning step. But I don't do any frothing anyway (wife does).

It's super. It's automatic. It's compact. It makes incredible espresso, americana, lungos, long blacks, cappucino, and lattes. We are very happy. I will post back after our first full cleaning.

August update: It has been 8 months and we love it just as much as when we first got it. We cleaned it once - it was trivial. No issues except that one bag of beans we purchased from Trader Joes were a little oily and they got stuck in the hopper - another reviewer also mentioned this. I removed the little cap from over the hopper (2 philips head screws) and left it off - not sure how or if that can hurt anything but it has worked fine since.

Seriously we love this thing. There is nothing like feeling an urge for a cup a joe and 3 minutes later having one in your hands with nothing to do or clean up. And it is goooooood stuff. We were talking the other day and decided it's the best luxury gift we've ever given ourselves.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Nice Machine So Far, February 4, 2012
PROS: Makes very good coffee and lattes. Sleek, good-looking appliance. Works as you would expect.

CONS: (very minor) Chrome "heating" plate doesn't get warm enough to heat anything (who cares?). Beans on the "oily" side don't always feed smoothly from hopper to the grinder.

I've owned several automatic machines over the years from Saeco and DeLonghi (most recently the DeLonghi ESAM3300 Magnifica Super-Automatic Espresso/Coffee Machine) that have acted as our go-to small office coffee makers. (I'm a latte-holic myself, 4 to 5 a day, and admitting that is the first step toward recovery I'm told...) I have a tendency to wear them out in 2 to 3 years because they get a lot of use, 5 days a week. But that is to be expected, at least by me, as these really are intended as home-use machines. That being said, this is a fine machine for it's job - which is to keep me in lattes!

It makes very good, tasty shots of espresso for those lattes, steams my 1% milk great with a nice, dense foam, and the regular coffee drinkers are very happy with their full coffees.

Tip: Best way to froth the milk?: swing the frother arm all the way to the left and stack your steamed-milk container with your cold milk in it on top of an empty coffee mug off to the side on the counter. That way your milk container is high enough to just sit there with the wand in it as it steams. You can walk away for a couple of minutes and do something useful. Just don't go too far away and "forget" it's steaming - what a mess! But the frother "froths" really well all by itself, doesn't over-bubble and spill over the side like some past machines have done. Well-designed.

Right out of the box, it made a great-tasting first latte for me. One of the best, actually. I left the grinder on the factory setting, and set the rotating knob to between 1:30 and 2:00 o'clock position (just guessing) and it made both a great double-shot of espresso AND a great-tasting regular coffee on my first two tries (I used the "double" buttons on both the espresso side and coffee side - that'll make more sense once you see the machine and read the instructions).

I've only had it about a month, but so far so really good. The only minor issue is that bean hopper "con" above. It's a bit shallow in slope, so my slightly oily beans (Costco/Kirkland espresso, roasted by Starbucks beans) get stuck sometimes during the grinding portion of the process, and I have to lift the lid and stir them a bit with a spoon to make sure they get down where they need to go - not a huge inconvenience.

I've had a couple of the DeLonghi ESAM3300 Magnificas DeLonghi ESAM3300 Magnifica Super-Automatic Espresso/Coffee Machine mentioned earlier, and they are GREAT machines! (that's the one I have at home for weekend use). I'm hoping this latest DeLonghi for the office lives up to that model's standards. By the way, the model number for replacement water filters is: SER 3017. Google "Water filter SER 3017" though, to find it online, because it doesn't show up on Amazon. And DeLonghi customer service was no help at all via an emailed question about the filter, which should be a concern to them I would imagine. Hey Amazon, how about linking to the company that sells the filter?

2.0 out of 5 stars "ground too fine" problems, August 27, 2012

Original Review:

I purchased an ESAM3300 4 years ago and I love it. I recently moved it to my vacation home, and I purchased a new ECAM22110SB to use in my main home. I have had the new machine about 1 month, and I love it even more than the old one. I purchased my machine locally, so if there were any problems, I could exchange it with no hassles. Fortunately, it performed perfectly right out of the box. I use both machines primarily to make cappuccino, and occasionally to make coffee. I use Peet's beans, which are oily.

Both machines make great tasting espresso and coffee. Note that the coffee is "Americano", i.e. diluted espresso, but it tastes great. Both machines are easy to clean. The milk frothers on both machines are idiot-proof, and work great with 2% milk. However, if you are a barista who likes to make Latte Art, then you should choose a different machine with a traditional steam wand.

The things I like the most about my new ECAM23210B as compared to my old ESAM3300 are:

1) After a break-in of about a week, I got perfect espresso and coffee with the machine left at its default settings. During the first week the results were a bit weak, and I needed to crank up the strength dial. Now I have it back at the middle setting and get perfect results.

2) It is much smaller.

3) It makes much less noise.

4) It has pre-sets for coffee and espresso. The old machine had separate dials for water and ground beans quantities, but required experimentation to figure out where to set them for coffee and espresso. The pre-sets on the new machine are much easier to use.

5) The milk frother is easier to use. The old machine would spit water out of the frother until it heated up, requiring an additional pitcher to catch the water. The new machine emits only steam (unless you specifically request hot water).

6) The beans hopper cover makes a tight seal, keeping the beans fresh longer.

7) Although both machines purge water into the drip tray, the water in the drip tray in the new machine remains clean with no coffee residue. The old machine collected water mixed with coffee in the drip tray, making it harder to clean.

Things I don't like about the new machine are:

1) Oily beans don't feed well into the grinder. I think this is due to the incline of the hopper interior being steeper, and the entry area to the grinder being larger, on the old machine. However, if I manually push the beans into the grinder opening during the grinding cycle, then the new machine grinds perfectly. I haven't tried removing the mushroom cover as suggested by Steve, but that would probably help as well. If you use drier beans than I do, you may not have this problem.

2) When the grounds hopper is full and needs emptying, the new machine usually indicates this when I first turn it on in the morning. The old machine would do this immediately after brewing. When I get up in the morning and I badly need a caffeine fix, the last thing I want to do is clean my machine first.

3) The cover of the drip tray on the new machine is shiny like a mirror, and scratches easily. I prefer the matte finish of the drip tray cover on the old machine.

A note on service: My old ESAM3300 did require service once under the warranty. Fortunately, there was an authorized service center in the city I live in. They were able to repair my machine in 2 days, and then it was as good as new. Many of the reviews for Delonghi espresso machines on Amazon complain about their mail-in service. You might want to check for service availability in your area before purchasing this machine.

In summary, I much prefer the new ECAM22110SB to the old ESAM3300, and I am very happy with my purchase.

Update May 2013:

About a month after I published the above review, I started to have problems with the "ground too fine" error indication coming on. The manual states this is due to the grinder being set to too fine a setting, which prevents water from flowing through the machine. However, I got the error during rinsing and steaming milk, never during brewing. I called Delonghi, and was told this error can come on any time insufficient water is flowing, even when not brewing. There was always plenty of water or steam flowing when the error occurred, so I think the error was being falsely triggered. Delonghi gave me some things to try that didn't help. So I took the machine in for service to my local authorized service center.

They cleaned and adjusted the machine, and it worked fine for a month, then the error reoccurred. This happened 2 more times. The 4th time the error occurred it persisted even after cleaning and adjusting the machine. So the service center replaced the electronics and the pump. It took 2 months for the parts to come in from Delonghi. I was not pleased.

I had high hopes that the problem was really fixed, but two months later I started getting "ground too fine" errors again. By this point I had enough. I persuaded the department store I bought the machine from to take it back and exchange it for a new one. They assured me that if I have problems with the new one, they will take it back for a full refund. They said they have sold hundreds of these machines, and mine was the first to be returned.

I don't know if the original machine was a lemon, or there is something I am doing that sets off the error. I don't see any other reports of my specific problem online anywhere. I really hope the replacement machine works. I love it when it is working. If the replacement machine continues to work, I'll update the review and increase the star rating. Please wish me luck :)

5.0 out of 5 stars coffee bean fix, August 9, 2012
Bought this machine and right out of the box it was not drawing the beans into the grinder.Tried calling the manufacture and all I got was we can return it for repair.
It's only a day old.So I got on Amazon.com and looked at the reviews and see I am not the only one having this problem.So here is the fix.List off the cover to the bean bin and remove the mushroom cap inside the bean bin where the beans go into the grinder.This can be done by removing two little phillips screws and pulling the mushroom cap up and out of the bean bin.Save this piece just in case you would need warranty work for something else.Now there is no problem with beans feeding into the grinder.My guess is that it's a safety thing so one would not reach in and put there fingers into the grinder.Hope this helps someone else.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Automatic Machine, December 17, 2011
I have used other automatic espresso machines and I find this Magnifica to be better for many reasons.
1) settings to control strength, temperature, coffee grind coarseness, auto-off time interval, and cup size
2) small footprint in terms of machine size
3) easy to access the water bin which can slide out partially and be filled while it is in place. Very nice feature considering you add water daily like you do with all machines.
4) machine auto-rinses. Some machines make this an option which is really about maintaining the machine.
5) perfect user interface. Easy to use
6) Great coffee.... Great coffee
7) Excellent frother. Many machines (Jura) don't stack up
8) easy to clean! The brew unit comes out and it doesn't require service at the factory. Look for this feature!
9) by-pass doser option. Many machines have this but not all machines in this price range
10) Decent price range and reputable company
11) Nice looks; It is a value blend of plastic and metal where needed. Sure it could be all metal but that would only drive up cost with little to no benefit.

I am happy with the purchase and I have had this for 4 months at this point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Machine for a busy person..., March 19, 2012
Connie Lawlor (Middle Village, NY, US) - See all my reviews
I am guilty of not reviewing most of the products I buy on Amazon and some of the other websites but I decided to take the time to review this machine because I went through such a difficult time trying to get the best espresso machine without breaking my bank. I purchased this with these things that important to me: Time, ease of use, quality of the drink and again the most bang for the buck. Please keep in mind I have never tried to manually prepare espresso drinks myself but I have tried espresso from local mom and pops shops as well as the more known coffee shops here in New York.

Out of the box the machine is pretty straight forward and comes set for a standard espresso shot. The DVD is very helpful when trying to figure out this machine. It walks you through most of the functions. Depending on whether you will like your espresso shots really strong or not then you can play with the grinder settings and water settings. There are also settings to make the water hotter from the start to make the shot hotter. There is also automatic turn off and you can set this to your liking as well. Bypass doser for decaf, buttons will prepare one or two shots as well as two different settings for long coffee. For detailed videos I would check out Seattlecoffee Gear and youtube. They tell you not to use Dark Oily beans in the grinder because they can get stuck and clog it up. If you prefer the dark beans just try Lavazza or some good brand italian beans at your local espresso house. They can run you a pretty penny but for some its worth it.

I normally put the machine on before I get in the shower. When I come out I press the double shot to prepare my shots and wallah...it's all done in a matter of 60 seconds. I usually drink cold drinks so I use cold milk but I have made several friends shots and they loved it. As far as the shots not being strong enough or not having enough crema, I really have to say that not one person complained about anything yet and I actually find the reg shots of espresso to be way to strong for my taste. This machine is great I love it and have made 2 or more drinks everyday since I got it a month ago. So far so good!

Bottom line, if you are always rushing to get to work, gym, and other places you have to be and you want that cup of espresso before you go this machine is for you. If you enjoy making espresso from scratch and controlling every single part of the process this ISNT for you. As far as quality of drinks I LOVE IT and others who I've made drinks for have said they loved it as well. If you can catch a steal with this machine at around $500 I would say most def GO FOR IT!

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit of heaven every morning, May 5, 2012
It took me an hour and half to get it to prime the water pump the first night I set it up, but since then it's been almost flawless. Still playing with all the settings to get that perfect cup, but it's already better than anything I've ever made at home. I do wish the beans fed a bit more reliably, but giving them a little push now and then is a small price to pay for some really great espresso at 5 AM.

4.0 out of 5 stars I am now really liking my machine, July 14, 2012
Since my earlier review, i have had some time to spend trying to figure out what the exact right settings are for my taste. I am happy to share that I have figured it out, or at least, figured out a way to now get wonderful cups of coffee from my machine. It's still not easy to just fill a regular coffee cup up with tasty strong coffee. It's too watery. But I can double up the scoops of coffee and do 2 cups (per their setting) to actually fill my one coffee cup. As for the cappuccino, latte etc. side, that is wonderful. Now that I have those settings figured out, I LOVE making latte's and cappuccino's. I think if you are a regular long coffee drinker, this is too much of a hassle. If your primary consumption are thru the espresso beans, this is a great purchase.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I did not find my seller very helpful, but my price was good and the machine eventually got here.

My original post is below.
-----------------------------------------------

I have had this particular DeLonghi for about a month now and I am not quite ready to recommend it. It is fairly easy to operate, though, as others have said, you need to keep the manual nearby to understand what the various blinking light combinations mean, when it is trying to communicate something to you. I have yet to have any problem, the blinking lights are usually telling me I need more beans, or water, or my setting is on the wrong thing, etc.

My biggest issue right now is the coffee to water ratio. I cannot figure out how to make it so it delivers less water per cup. Every single cup of coffee is watery, whether it's a latte, cappuccino, espresso, or long coffee. It's all watery. I have tried a variety of Arabica beans including Illy, some wonderful beans straight from Kona (was in Hawaii for a week and brought some back) and others. Every cup is watery. I'm sure it's a setting that I have yet to figure out, but it has cost me a lot of money in coffee while i try to figure it out. The manual which I have read many times, doesn't tell you how to adjust that water to coffee ratio. I will provide an update when I get this figured out. Turning the dial to make the coffee stronger, just gives you stronger watery coffee.

The only other feedback I have for now is that I purchased this from Amazon, through the seller 1st Stop Outlet, and while my machine got here, they are impossible to contact if you have an issue. When I bought the machine I accidentally hit regular shipping and instead had needed it the next day, or within 3 days. I reached out to them many, many times asking to change the shipping, and never got a response. A week or so later, my package arrived via regular shipping means. I of course, was gone on vacation by then so it sat for a week. Anyway, that was annoying...

I will post again once / if i figure out the water to coffee ratio issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing, April 30, 2012
Stan "Stan" (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
I bought this because I went to a party where the hosts used it to make coffee at the end of the evening. I had previously used a K-Cup machine because I never seemed to get up early enough to use the French press we have. I have had it for a month now, and I can say that the coffee is so good that it actually motivates me to get up. You can make espresso or long coffee, and both are awesome. You are able to adjust for the strength of the coffee, the coarseness of the beans, and the temperature of the water.

I was concerned because this machine doesn't come with an auto on/off feature like our K-Cup machine did, but it only takes 10-15 seconds to get the water heated.

The only thing you have to do is empty out the coffee grinds and refill the water tank. Both are very easy to do. When the machine turns on and off, it spits a little water out of the spouts, so you do have to monitor the drip tray, or just leave a cup under the spouts when turning it on or off.

It is a big up-front expense, but I will say that being able to buy high quality beans in bulk makes the per-cup cost much lower than the cost of buying K-Cups, and you really can't compare the difference in taste. I actually like the coffee I make at home better than what I get at a coffee shop now. Seriously, it is THAT good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes me look like a professional barista!, March 30, 2012
Great machine, and instructions very self explanatory for set up & operation. Simple to use, but lots of adjustments to meet every preference! A friend who works at Starbucks was going to come over to show us how to use it but my husband figured it out on his own.

Thought at first that the promised water filter wasn't supplied with it, but then found the form to order the free one and in the meantime it works fine without it. When you have to buy the filter (every other month) it is a little pricey ($27) but you can just use filtered water. This machine froths even non-fat milk to perfection. This baby will pay for itself (with Starbucks savings) in just a few months. Also the compact size fits great on a little counter area that wasn't really big enough for anything else, so we didn't really even lose any counter space. Awesome!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›