5.0 out of 5 stars An effective, clean-smelling, silent heater
I own two Delonghi oil-filled heaters. I bought them a few years ago, used them intermittently, then put them in storage. When fuel oil bills skyrocketed, I brought them out to start using again.

Published on January 18, 2012 by Nils

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Warranty from DeLonghi
I bought two (2) DeLonghi EW7707CM Oil-Filled radiators. Both work fantastically-well, however one of them has started leaking - after less than a month of use.

Published on March 5, 2008 by Truth... Good, Bad, Ugly

5.0 out of 5 stars An effective, clean-smelling, silent heater, January 18, 2012
This review is from: DeLonghi EW7707CM Safeheat 1500W ComforTemp Portable Oil-Filled Radiator (Kitchen)

What motivated me to start using them again was when bill for heating oil for my little house jumped to over $300 a month. Using two Delonghi heaters set on "low" for sixteen hours a day, it has dropped to less than $50. That's a $250 a month in savings, in the coldest months.

My experience has been that oil filled heaters work great, if you know how to use them. Oil filled electric heaters aren't just "plug and play." If you use them as recommended, they're powerful, economic and effective. If you don't, you'll have the problems people complain about in some of these reviews.

How to use 'em:

1) Always TEMPER them before use. A lot of people skip this step, but you shouldn't. To temper them, before using them in your house, plug them in OUTSIDE of your house, in a well ventilated area such as a shop or shed (or a basement, if you don't have a shop). Set the heat on "high" and turn the dial ALL THE WAY UP to the highest temperature. Then leave them for several hours. It's true that this will "waste" a little electricity. (Leaving it that way for 24 hours may cost you a couple of bucks). But it's essential to do this because doing so burns off the coating the manufacturers put on to prevent them from rusting in the warehouse.

The directions say to do this for "two hours or more." I've found that it takes anywhere from two to twenty hours to burn the whole coating off. Once it's gone, the smell is gone forever. IF YOU SKIP THIS STEP, your heater will smell bad in the house every time it gets above a certain temperature (and the coating starts burning off). People who complain about a bad smell are often unaware of this step, or haven't tempered their heater long enough. When it's done being tempered, the smell should be totally gone, absolutely no smell.

2) I had a friend who complained about how ineffective her heater was. It turned out she was trying to use it in a 400 square foot area, with the door open! And the area was uninsulated. And she was shutting it on and off to "save power." You have to use common sense. If the room is uninsulated, insulate it. If the door's open, close it. If it's too big, get two or three heaters. And don't shut them on and off.... leave the heater ON. See point 4 below.

3) Don't expect instant heat. Oil filled heaters are great at MAINTINING the temperature in a room, but It takes a long time for oil filled heaters to RAISE the temperature when the room is cold. (If you have central heating, turn it on in the morning for about 15 minutes to take the chill of off the air. Then turn it off and turn your oil filled heaters on for the rest of the day. If you don't have central heating, set your oil filled heaters on high for a couple of hours, then lower them to low once the place is warmed up.)

4) Once the room does get warm, leave the heater ON. My friend said she was shutting hers off after it got warm to "save electricity." Then she'd come back two or three hours later, find the room cold, and turn it on and complain because it took hours to heat the room up again. Don't do what she did. Don't turn it on and off, on and off. That's what the thermostat is for. To use the thermostat on any oil filled heater, turn the dial to the HIGHEST setting, wait till the room gets toasty, then turn it DOWN just till you hear a soft click. No further. After you do this, it'll come on whenever the room drops below that temperature, and will shut itself off when the room is warm. Using the thermostat this way saves electricity more effectively than you could, and maintains a warm room while doing so.

5) I've seen comments on these posting boards like:

"My heater had a bad smell for weeks." Of course it did -- you didn't temper it. It was burning off a little of the coating each time it got hot. Start over. Take it out to a shed or shop, set up on high heat, turn the thermostat way up, and temper it to finish burning it off. Then there will be no smell at all. (If there is, you may have an oil leak, in which case, yes, return it to the place you bought it. But this is usually not the reason for the smell.)

"I took my heater out of the box, turned it on, waited four hours and it barely got warm, so I shipped it right back to the manufacturer." My comment would be, you were thinking of it as if it were a little space heater, the kind that gets burning hot to the touch. That's not how oil filled heaters work. They WARM the air gradually. They take time, when the room is very cold. They're among the best ways to keep a room warm and toasty economically, when used correctly. But you have to learn how they work and don't expect them to be what they're not.

Give them time, and learn how to use them, use common sense, and oil filled heaters will keep your home balmy and warm, using minimal electricity, and there will not be any smell at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful when used properly (e.g. at night)., December 20, 2007
After reading many of the reviews on Amazon, I purchased this delonghi heater. I can't be happier with its performance. I believe the more positive reviews are a result of using this heater as it was designed - to gradually maintain a slow heat in a small-mid sized enclosed room (say, 20x20 with 9' ceilings). If you want to quickly heat a large room with a blast of hot air, get something with a fan or turn up the thermostat.

We use this heater at night. It does such an effective job of keeping our room at a comfortable 70F (even at lower settings), that we have programmed our central heat thermostat to go down to 60F at night. Of course, the effectiveness of the heater is also dependent on how well your house is insulated.

There were some comments about the heater getting hot to the touch. Well, yes, of course it does - it's a heater! But even at it's highest setting, the metal is not sizzling. It is well insulated enough that you can touch it for a few seconds before it gets uncomfortable - plenty of time for the occasional times you may bump into it. At lower settings - this isn't even an issue.

Why an oil-filled heater? It produces a very gentle heat without drying the air like a conventional ceramic or electric heater.

Why the delonghi? Gentle heat without any sound. We purchased the Honeywell 7-Fin Oil-Filled Radiator Heater as well (they were out of stock of the delonghi), and while it heats fine, it creaks and cracks when you use it. I'm sure this is due to the metal expanding and contracting as it gets warmer and cooler. It's not a huge problem, but if you are a light sleeper, it may be an annoyance.

The only downside I can think of is the wheels. Doesn't roll well on carpet - which is fine, we don't' move it much anyway. But overall, love the delonghi. We've had it for 2 weeks now and I hope it lasts this way for several years.

5.0 out of 5 stars No better heat than this!, October 23, 2008
B. E. Rayburn (Cleveland, OH USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased two of these radiator heaters last Fall and used them all through the heating season. They are wonderful. SO much better than any blower, convection, or ceramic heaters I've had - and I've had them all. Our 152 year old house has hot water (boiler) heat so we're used to a system that doesn't blow and dry out the air but with fuel oil prices as they have been for the past few years we just can't see heating this big old house with our furnace. We have a woodstove to heat the major portion of the house but our bedroom and utility room are cold due to being away from woodstove heat and are both drafty rooms to boot. These heaters worked so well to keep those two areas perfectly comfortable without the drying effect of blower or convection heat. For years we've struggled with noisy, drying space heaters that caused much stress due to fire hazards etc. Contrary to what one review said this "Safe Heat" heater is truly safe. There are no serious fire hazard warnings on this item because it does not get hot like a convection or coil heater. In fact, you can touch the radiator itself and it would not burn skin. I wouldn't sleep with ANY other space heater on in our bedroom (which made for cold nights before we had these heaters) but this heater is perfect for just that. It is truly not a fire hazard if you set it in a place that is recommended in the book that comes with it and follow the safety instructions which mainly say not to put objects on the heater itself. The reviewer that said it took up a lot of space may have been treating this heater like the other types of heaters but it's not necessary. This heater should be treated as a "heater" for sure but it's not going to radiate the kind of heat that would set things on fire unless they were laid on top of the heater where the heat radiates up and I'm not even convinced that would set anything on fire. The footprint it takes up on the floor is very small.
It is a completely different heater from the other types of space heaters.
One reviewer said it's not "fast enough" to warm the room. This IS NOT a heater you would turn on and off whenever you walk into/out of the area you want to heat. It works with a thermostat and if left "on" at the comfort level you desire you practically never have to touch the heater again, unless the weather gets extremely cold in which case you would turn the thermostat to a higher level. We found that these heaters are very cost efficient to leave on with thermostat set to our desired warmth. It's the same principle as you use with whole house heating - you don't turn your furnace off every time you leave home, you just turn the thermostat down.
I turn them down during the day and then up at night but leave them on so that we're not "starting from scratch" to heat up the areas.
Unlike other heaters that can't be left on safely without being monitored, this heater can (and to work efficiently SHOULD) be left on because it is NOT A FIRE HAZARD and works with a thermostat. The only real fire hazard issue is that it can not be plugged into an extension cord safely and the plug itself can get hot if not in a proper outlet. In fact, if there is a fire hazard with this heater it's the cord that is the issue not the radiator itself. The cord is long enough though that it is not a problem for us to put it where we want it and plug in properly.

I just turned one of these heaters on today and I'm as happy to have it as I was all last Winter. I can't say enough good things about these heaters. They have met and exceeded all of my expectations. Even the price I paid for them was remarkably good. I paid less for one of these heaters than I did my "ceramic dish heater" that for numerous reasons I was almost never able to use. I even love that it's on wheels. Easily moveable on my utility room tile floor.
There is just nothing bad to say about this heater. Exceptional is the word for it!

4.0 out of 5 stars The truth about ComforTemp "energy-saving" technology, May 15, 2010
Don't get me wrong, this is a nice heater and works perfectly for our application (to heat our son's room which is located directly above the garage and thus colder than the rest of the house). I'll let the other reviews speak for most of the features of the unit.

What I do have a comment on is the ComforTemp "energy-saving" technology, which in my opinion, is just part of the whole green marketing fad. This includes making products/features appear to be green when actually they are not necessarily so. The ComforTemp "feature" does nothing more than override the thermostat dial and set the thermostat on the unit to ~70 degF. The box shows in big letters "27% Energy Saving," but if you read the fine print, it says "Based on internal tests on same model comparing energy using the ComforTemp function versus adjustable thermostat at maximum setting." So they are claiming an energy savings versus the maximum thermostat setting that would make the room way too hot. This is like saying a light bulb is energy saving because you turn it on only when you need it, rather than leaving it on all the time -- i.e., it only saves energy when compared to an absurd, high-energy-consuming scenario.

In our application, we actually save energy by not using the ComforTemp function, because we found that, with it turned on, the room gets heated to ~73 degF. We set the thermostat to a little above the "1" on the dial and that keeps the room at ~69 degF -- warm enough to keep our son from getting cold at night.

If anything, call the ComforTemp feature a convenience feature -- for those who don't want to bother with the adjustable thermostat. Call it a night light feature -- because it emits a significant green glow. Just don't call it an energy-saving feature. In my opinion, the best thing to do would be to remove the ComforTemp function altogether and just charge less for the heater! But of course the market research probably shows that if you pretend it's green you'll sell more units ...

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Warranty from DeLonghi, March 5, 2008

I e-mailed Delonghi, told them what the issue was and now they say I have to send the product to "the nearest service center listed on our website under the customer service tab" which is almost 400 miles from my house and I AS THE CUSTOMER have to pay for shipping to this far-flung service center.

Ridiculous! It would cost almost as much in shipping as I bought it for ($49.95 through amazon) because of the weight and size of the unit.

Great product (when it isn't leaking oil), very very poor warranty. Buy from a more reputable company!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my needs, March 30, 2008
This is my 2nd Delonghi. Several months back I purchased the larger model 715T with the 24hr thermo setting. So far, very happy with performance of both.

I recently moved back to AZ. The winters are certainly not like back east or mid-west, but it is a area of higher elevation with winter nights in the 20-30s. The home is under 1000 sqf and I did not want to heat with propane at the current high price, (neighbor has filled their propane almost monthly) at about $475 per tank. My last 3 months for total heat, lighting and cooking has been $70, $105 and current bill for Feb at $77.

I use the larger DeLonghi unit in the front room-kitchen area, and the smaller unit for my PC office room. During the coldest nights I kept the larger unit on all night at low temp, then turned it up a notch or two in the morning. I'm fairly cold-blooded and prefer warmer to cold. This has kept me very comfortable. Granted, as some reviewers have said, you need to turn it up and let it get up to desired temp,(2-3 hr). This is the nature of a 'radiator' heater. But once up to temp, it will keep area 'toasty' for rest of day.

Other reviewers have noted a few problems that I have not experienced, (maybe I'm lucky or they just got a defective unit, which certainly can happen). I did not note a 'horrible' long lasting smell. With the smaller unit it did take a few hours of residue burn off, nothing horrible or irritating. The instruction manual notes all this. I was not annoyed by 'loud pops' when unit was going on or off. I did, barely hear it at times,(and I have excellent hearing). Have not had any mechanical or broken items nor leakage. Note: as a reviewer said, they got a slight 'burn' when touching, (the manual also notes as well). When on high the top of unit can get very warm to touch...but why would anyone assume less? It is a 'heater' folks. So let's consider that when using any such electrical device. Would not advise you to: let children play around it, nor do you want to curl your cat on it. But overall, by touching it you are not going to scald yourself. Smart advice: read the manual.

The larger unit I thought would be nice to have the 24 hr thermostat setting, I have only had to use it a couple of times, because after the unit gets to your desired comfort, just dial down a setting and move the thermo dial until the light comes on and it will maintain that temp. In fact, the smaller unit the 7707CM, has a '6' number setting dial that works just as good. This unit, (like the larger one) is also able to go to a 1500w setting, but I have only used it a few times on extreme cold mornings for a couple hours to warm room up a bit faster, then turn it back down to 500 or 700w setting.

So, for me, bottom line at present, I would certainly purchase another DeLonghi for my use. Very comfortable and cost effective. Open the box, remove it and 'pop' out the lock in place fold under wheels, plug it in and you are ready to heat. I felt Amazon price and fast free delivery were all pluses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best heater around, November 16, 2007
I tried many heaters, like ceramic with fan, ceramic without fan and this one turned out to be the best. The heaters with fan make lots of noise and its difficult to sleep.
Also the ceramic heaters tend to burn oxygen in air because of very hot coil making you feel sick. On top of it, small ceramic heaters cause uneven heating making you feel even more sick.
DeLonghi EW7707CM heater has none of these problems. Because of its large size it can evenly heat the room. Its fins are not very hot so do not burn the air. We received it in 2 days. After using it in our 10x10 bedroom, we feel very cozy and we can sleep very well. Also this is very good looking heater. You can spend more money one time but you wont regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heater review, November 13, 2007
Sam (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
Heater was bought for child's room. It seems safe and works well. The comfort temp feature was slightly misleading due to the fact that we thought we could change the thermostat on that function. Instead you can use the number thermostat that goes from 0 to 5. I guess we thought we could set the temperature to a degree like 68. Other than that we like it and we feel that it is safe for our child's bedroom. We will see how it is on the electric bill this Winter.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this heater!, December 25, 2007
I spent hours researching oil-filled heaters, and finally chose this one. It is the most amazing heater ever. It is quiet, heats up fast, retains heat, and is just the best. My 3 cats position themselves around it--I feel like I finally have a fireplace, but without the mess. I may need to buy a second one, though, because I am getting tired of unplugging it and rolling it to another cold room to do its outstanding job of warming.

1.0 out of 5 stars Flawed design. Thermostat doesn't work., October 16, 2008
ComforTemp Technology. Sounds like a great idea, assuming everyone thinks the same temperature is comfortable. But why would a manufacturer put a second thermostat in a heater? Wouldn't that increase the price? Answer: Because the first one doesn't work.

The primary thermostat, which is controlled by the dial, must be positioned too close to the radiator, because it turns the heating off after only a few minutes of heating, regardless of the thermostat setting or room temperature. So it's impossible to heat anything but the smallest room with this thing, and even then, only if its not very cold, since the thing can only manage a duty cycle of about 20% with the flawed thermostat.

The "Comfortemp" button appears to be an attempt to salvage this heater after it was manufactured and the flaw revealed. Looks strangely similar to the size and position of a timer doesn't it? They stuck a second thermostat in the timer hole so they didn't have to scrap a whole run of these things for lack of a functioning thermostat. The main problem with this solution is that you only get one temperature setting, and it's way too hot. Over 80 degrees.

Avoid this flawed design and find another oil heater.