5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Heater
Published on November 21, 2010 by agm

3.0 out of 5 stars Square D
DON't buy if Amazon sends you to Square D. Item was repackaged, torn and missing the remote.
They have done absolutely nothing about it.
Published on February 11, 2011 by Attorney

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Heater, November 21, 2010
This review is from: DeLonghi TCH7090ER Safeheat 24 In. Ceramic Tower Heater with Remote Control and Eco Energy Function (Kitchen)
This heater is an excellent buy. There is really only two heat output settings. The "third" setting is the "econo" setting and really uses the two different heat settings based on temperature difference between the setting and the room. The fan is not to loud and not too quiet. It is perfect for background noise for sleeping. The safety cutoff switch when the unit tips over works just as described when I tested it. The displayed temperatue setting and other lights are fairly bright and bothered my wife when while we slept. I put a couple of layers of translucent tape over it and it took care of that problem. The stand does not have adjustable height. Ceramic heaters are also safer because their elements do not get glowing hot like most heating elements. When this is combined with the safety cutout, it is much safer than the older style units.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm and quiet, a good combo!, December 15, 2010
I purchased two of these units. One for a home office that is approximately 10 x 12 with 9 foot ceiling and the other one to be used in various other rooms of the house as needed. For the unit in the office, it is the perfect size and does a great job of keeping the room warm. I like the fact that the unit does not get hot to the touch if accidentally touched and that is is fairly quiet. It does have an "Econ" button on it which changes the fan speed from low to high as needed, a nice touch. It has a big bright display that is easy to read from anywhere in the room. Also comes with a handy remote control, not necessary, but a nice to have.

I did try the other unit in our family room which is a large 15 x 17 with 15 foot ceiling and the unit really did not warm the room at all, which I didn't expect it would. So know the limitations of the unit. Even still, in the big room the heater did take a slight chill out of the room, but not enough to justify it running non-stop for several hours.

The unit has a sleek modern design and does not take up much space. I'm really happy with the units.

4.0 out of 5 stars For daughters room, November 22, 2011
NEW FOUR STAR REVIEW (OLD 2 STAR REVIEW IS SHOWN BELOW):
I upgraded this product from 2 stars to 4 stars. I now like this product. I moved the location of this product away from the house heating vent (my husband had placed it in the corner near the house heater vent). Customer service also recommended that I unplug the unit to 'reset' it so now I turn it off and unplug it after each use. I have also had great temperature success using the ECO mode instead of the Level 1 mode. I set the device to 67 degrees, ECO mode, and oscillate and it keeps the room in a range between 65F-70F (when set at 67F). This range is acceptable to me. The oscillate mode still makes a slight clicking, but seems to smooth out after it has been in use for awhile. In any case, it does not seem to bother my daughter. Now I'm sleeping much better.
OLD TWO STAR REVIEW:
The first week, this product seemed to work nicely. I had it set to 68F and it seemed to come on and shut off with a +/- 3 degrees max difference from the setting (I have my own thermostat in the room). This week (week #2), I woke up at 4am and noticed that the temperature in my daughters room was 72 and the heater was still going (I had it set at 67F that night). Last night I was awake almost all night monitoring the temperature. I do not have confidence in the thermostat setting on the heater because it seems to not shut off even after the room is over 3 degrees from the setting (or even +5 degrees as I found out when it was set at 67F and the room was already at a hot 72F and the heater was still going). My daughters room isn't that big and I have a thermometer set on the opposite end of her room. Also, when the heater is on oscillate, it makes a slight clicking sound. The heater fan by itself is quiet. Another minus is that there is no confirmation light to show you if you've got the heater in oscillate mode. Sometimes I think I've got it on oscillate (by pressing the button), but when I check later, the heater is on without oscillating. There is no way to know if you've pressed the oscillate mode On or Off (no light for that). I would like to return this unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fast! Safe to touch., February 21, 2013
I really love this heater. I use it in our chilly playroom and it takes no time to heat up, about ten minutes to bring the temp up a solid 10 degrees. Also you can touch the front of it while it is going full blast and it is not hot. You can feel the warm air but no part of the unit gets so hot that you cannot hold your hand on it. I really like that as a safety feature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sophisicated little heater, November 19, 2011
Michigan: We have an 1800sq ft house with a very open floor plan with central heat that works great except for our closed-off master bed/bath/closet that occupies about 400sq ft and there is a 10 degree difference in there on cold days. We insulated the attic to R60 and had foam injected into the walls, but it actually made my bedroom colder since the heat isn't running constantly now that we have proper insulation. The HVAC guy wanted to sell me on zoning, which is very expensive. So I bought this little heater to see if maybe that would work. It does, and it works great! I have it set up on our dresser, and I just set it to "ECO" mode at 70 degrees. It kicks on only when it needs to, and oscillates warm air around the room. It is very quiet and makes less noise than my tower fan does on low. I'm not sure how it would do if you were heating a room with no supplemental heat, but it works great for making up the difference to get my bedroom on par with the rest of the house. No more cold noses and cold feet at night! It doesn't take up a lot of room and it looks quite attractive. I am quite happy with this solution.

3.0 out of 5 stars Square D, February 11, 2011
They have done absolutely nothing about it.

4.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!, June 21, 2011
my husband likes to keep the house at 70 degrees. With this baby, one closed room warms up to a comfy 74 within 15 minutes. A life saver for me, let me tell you. It works awesome in winter too so you don't have to heat up the whole house.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable temperature control, poorly built., October 13, 2014
I originally purchased this heater to heat my RV. The first one I ordered arrived broken and missing the remote. It was in a box missing the original packing materials with old labels cut off. Clearly someones return that was shipped back out to me. It was returned the same day.

The replacement I ordered wasn't much better packed than the first, but at least it wasn't broken and the remote was there.

Initially it worked fairly well. The remote had to be held within a few feet of the unit to work, even after replacing the battery, but I could live with that. The temperature control needed to be set about 4 degrees lower than the desired room temp, but I could live with that also.

However, as the days passed it went downhill fast. The temperature control is bad. I set it at 68 and it will be passing 74 and still running. I have to turn it off manually. Now, about 2 weeks later, the control is set at 66, it's headed towards 74 in here and it's still running. Sometimes it will cycle on and off like it should, sometimes it won't. Sometimes I can unplug it for a few minutes, plug it back in and it will work OK for a while but eventually it will go back to just running. Sometimes I can turn it down further and it will stop, but then not start back up again.

In addition, the mechanism that makes it turn is starting to make a grinding noise, and the unit wobbles forward and back with every turn.

I really wanted to like this heater. I like the features. It's quiet. It just doesn't work properly and I expect the rotation mechanism will fail shortly. It will be going back as soon as it's replacement arrives, a Lasko 5538.

5.0 out of 5 stars We Have a Winner!!, December 14, 2014
I get a little OCD when I'm buying an electronic product, and this was no different. I spent about 12 hours over the course of three days researching features and products.

I looked at a dozen buyer's guides which outlined what to look for in a space heater.

I started out with zero knowledge about what features were important, and I ended up with a crystal clear vision of my must have features vs my nice to have features.

This was one of only two products I found that had my must haves list of features.

My must have list must differ from most other people's list because so few products have what I was looking for. This was my short list:

1. must have tip over shut off (in case my kids or cats knocked it over when I wasn't in the room)
2. must have delayed on switch (so I can wake up to a warm bathroom at 6 am)
3. must have a timer off switch so it turns off automatically after x hours (in case I leave the house and forget to turn it off)
4. must have a "fan only" feature where fan will blow with no heat (because sometimes I get over heated after blow drying my hair, and I feel woozy unless I have a cool fan. And ideally I didn't want to have both a fan and a heater in my small bathroom.)

The fan only feature was the hardest one to find, especially when coupled with the timed auto on and timed auto off. After studying and scouting almost a hundred different models on the internet I found just a handful with both fan only and timer plus tip over shut off.

The other brand I evaluated was the Vornado, but their one model that had all my "must have" features was very small, and at 900 watts it didn't put out much heat. I tried it for 24 hours, and it will go back to the store tomorrow. I wanted it to work because I hate hate hate returning things, but it was just not powerful enough to take the edge off the chilly mornings. And I am in California where chilly to me is 67 degrees! (The unit I'm returning is the Vornado small room tower heater Model SRTH). I looked at all the other Vornados, and surprisingly none of them had my 4 must have. I was really disappointed, if for no other reason than I kind of wanted a Vornado because it sounded like Sharknado! But alas, after several hours of deep diving into the Vornado web site, I could not find a single unit that had my four musts. (At least not at my price point which was sub $80).

So I branched out into ther brands. I looked at Lasko, Crane, Bionaire, and Honeywell. I also scoured a hand full of others.

Bionaire and Delonghi were the last two standing when I looked at every model. And they both looked great, but I didn't want to wait two days for a shipment so I went out to Lowes and picked up this Delonghi tonight.

I could tell right away the heat was above and beyond the Vornado. It was actually so warm I couldn't sit in front of it for more than a few moments. I will probably only use it on high for a few moments then turn it down to economy mode. As comparison, the 900 watt Vornado felt like a blow dryer on the low heat setting, whereas the 1500 watt Delonghi felt like a blast of heat on your face when you open a convection oven door. A nice blast of warmth is just what I like in the chilly California mornings to help me wake up and get motivated to get up and at em!

And don't get me wrong, I wouldn't expect a 900 watt unit to perform like a 1500 watt unit. But it wasn't till I tested both back to back that I realized the 900 watt didn't cut it. Maybe for a different use, like keeping an office every so slightly warm. But not for warming a bathroom.

And there you have it. If you're looking for something that ranges from gentle warmth to scorching hot -- I highly recommend the Delonghi.

The only thing I could do without is the beeping. Every time you touch a button it beeps like a microwave oven. Very very annoying. If I had a new born or light sleeping spouse, I would probably be returning it because of the beeping, and trying the Bionaire. I don't know if the Bionaire beeps or not, but if not I would have purchased it instead. It's not a big enough deal to return it over given my newborns are almost driving at this point and even an earthquake couldn't wake their teenage butts out of bed!

Lastly -- it has a remote, which was not a necessary feature for me, but i don't mind it. It also has something else that seems quite useful but not to me. You can set it to prevent sub freezing of less than 45 degrees. I'm guessing that something that places outside of Calfornia might need. Like if you have a green house or something...? Not sure, but it might be useful to someone so thought I'd include it.

Net net -- I love everything about this except the beeping. That is all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for office, January 31, 2014
this thing really puts out the heat. the remote control seemed silly at first but a person can get used to using it very quickly. it's quiet and i like the ECO mode which turns the heat higher and lower as needed. i like the thermostat setting which shows the setting in degrees, not just a generic dial of low to high like some heaters. i would definitely buy this unit again.