4.0 out of 5 stars PN-60 with InReach
Published on April 12, 2012 by DANA

Published 12 months ago by N. Warren

4.0 out of 5 stars PN-60 with InReach, April 12, 2012
This review is from: DeLorme AG-008374-201 inReach Two-Way Satellite Communicator for Earthmate PN-60w (Electronics)
The Delorme PN - 60 with Inreach is an awesome tool for anyone that ends up in areas with no cell signal and Sat phone is the only means of communication. The Inreach works much better then the Spot as far as the response time of the Pings and them getting posted on the DeLorme Map Share page. While the 2 way texting is not like texted with your phone it work awesome when you consider the remote areas that it can be used to stay in touch!!! The Mapping on the PN-60 is awesome!

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed to work when I needed it, cost me an unnecessary helicopter, and then Delorme customer service failed me, July 2, 2013
I bought this a little over one year ago for expeditions in the Canadian wilderness. I needed to use it last week to tell someone to get a train to stop for me. The two-way communicator, which was the entire purpose of my purchase and spending $800 (inReach, PN-60w & subscription), failed. The GPS was showing that I could not send out messages, even though messages were being sent many times. I could not receive messages. Thinking I could not communicate, I tried using one of the pre-programmed messages (similar to a Spot), which confused and worried my friends and family a great deal. I spoke with Delorme about how this unit failed me the only time I have ever needed it, and they basically said that they may not charge me to fix the problem, if I am lucky. They took zero responsibility for the failure of the unit. I feel like I wasted $800 on this product in order to try and avoid situations exactly like the one that this breakdown created - expensive and unnecessary rescues, and worrying my friends and family.

If you need to communicate in the wilderness, I would recommend a satellite phone, as Delorme clearly does not have this product sorted out. Otherwise, a SPOT would cost far less than this, and would be much less likely to break & cause confusion. Or just get an SOS beacon. Any ways, this product costs way too much for it to fail the only time I needed it. Don't spend your money here.

5.0 out of 5 stars The more I use this product the better I like it, April 10, 2013
This product uses the Iridium network of satellites which offer global coverage. The ability to compose custom messages and also interface with my PN-60w for real-time two-way messaging makes this the perfect addition to my emergency communications kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Geat, November 19, 2013
I used this so that friends and family could track my progress on a Rim to Rim to Rim trip at the Grand Canyon. It worked really well. It did lose reception a few times in the narrow parts of the canyon, but that is expected. I havent had to use it in an emergency yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with PN-60w, November 12, 2013
Kathy (Bothell, WA United States) - See all my reviews
Works great with my PN-60w. Has better connection (less dropped texts/tracking points) than the SPOT receiver I have used previously, especially in narrow canyons and under tree cover because it uses a better satellite network. A bit bulky, but held up with no problems to an entire summer of rough field work in Alaska under wet conditions (I managed to crack the screen on my PN-60 but DeLorme replaced the screen for just $30 - great customer service as always).

Rate and Discover Movies