Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Style: Base ModelProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingChange

on February 4, 2016
this was a gift for our son who is planning on hiking in the West. He loves it and it will help keep him safe. We had a friend get injured on a remote hike and they were able to get an airlift by using the great product.
on February 2, 2016
I haven't had to be rescued yet, and it's navigation is not all that useful (it's not like it has google maps directions), but it is useful for recording the locations of things (resources, landmarks) and the peace of mind is priceless. The syncing between the phone and the website and the device is kind of a pain in the butt. If I had it to do over again, I might buy the one without navigation. Still, it's a nifty gizmo that keeps you safe(r).
on January 28, 2016
This device is amazing. Very simple to use very straight forward to use. As others have said it is cumbersome to text with but really not that bad once you figure out its predictive text and the fact that it is really not meant as a communicator for text in that realm of the length of war and peace. But being able to check in every night is just invaluable when you're in remote areas where there is no other way. Plus the pre-programmed messages allow you to quickly check in with anyone at home at any time and it doesn't cost you anything. Being able to have this device with you anywhere in the world the summit help is invaluable for your peace of mind especially when you're alone for weeks on end in the Rocky Mountains or anything similar it's just taken a little bit of the danger out of but sometimes is inherently dangerous situation. Won't head out into real remote areas without mine ever. And the ability for others to track you through the online mapping system and follow you real time on your device is super cool.
on January 21, 2016
Great deal. Got for backcountry hike. Activated it for the month and then disconnected it. Worked perfect for checking in at home and letting them know I was not bear food yet. Battery life was outstanding.
on January 14, 2016
BIG, BIG step up from my SPOT experience over the past 7 years. Very easy to update and pair bluetooth to my phones, and Iphone and Samsung Note4. The downloads to the smart phone of 1:24,000 maps was a surprise included in the bundle. I had no problem updating firmware at first nor the two updates since used 6 weeks. Surprised by the three canned messages that can be sent as often as wanted without using your plan messages. I setup two as frequently used to Begin and Complete a day's adventure. Those two go to emails as fun status reports to tell family members all is well and let them see where I am, just for fun and information. The third one is used to text my family that I need assistance at the spot on the text but it is not life threatening. Finally plan to use my 10 texts a month plan for specific two way communication either for fun or emergency. I've instructed my family to not use for frivolous communications, just for important MUST SEND moments. The website is light years easier to setup and change than the Spot site. I love the stand alone usefulness if my phone battery is dead I still can send and receive texts that I could NEVER expect from either of my Spots I think I am set to have some fun and usefulness this year AND carry a working tool in an emergency situation.
on January 13, 2016
Please read this. I bought the product as we hope we are fortunate enough to do some travelling.
We travelled to Costa Rica and sent arrival texts from the Liberia Airport, and received no USA response.
The product advertises 100% texting coverage on Amazon (in big bold letters).
Ok, once from the airport, outside, I can perhaps understand.
We then travelled south to Jaco and stayed at a hotel on a hilltop. I went outside,on a clear day, and sent more texts.
None of the texts went through to the USA.
OK, maybe I am just "challenged." I gave up on the product texting out over Iridium in Costa Rica.
When I returned to San Antonio, I sent out a text to determine if I had a product failure, or it was just me. The text was immediately responded to. Again, those to whom I was texting from Costa Rica never received the previous texts.
So I write to DeLorme and they then tell me it says in the fine print (the fine print when you pay for activation and monthly service) there is no guarantee of coverage, although the Amazon advertisement says 100% global coverage, coverage of what I'm not sure now, maybe my VISA bill, (ha, our DeLorme legal beagles got you with the fine print buddy, and I trusted the advertisement, silly me).

So I contact support at DeLorme and discover nobody talks to anybody at DeLorme, and still I provide them with my phone number. "Whoops," nobody calls. They claim they aren't responsible, they claim it's Verizon's fault, etc., etc., etc. Verizon (most reliable USA network by independent review, at least by their commercials) must not have forwarded the message, but I've never had a problem with Verizon, and the DeLorme worked from Texas. A person buys the product based on the Amazon advertisement, and you buy the product to feel safer. But if texting doesn't work and they say 100% coverage, how can we have any confidence the S.O.S. system works?

I've been in communication with DeLorme, offered to send them my InReach. But they tell me I still need to pay even though it didn't work from Costa Rica. So i'll send the product back to Amazon, a GREAT company BTW, and take up the charges with my VISA company.

The mapping GPS function did however, work. However, we really bought it for Global texting/emergencies. We are buying a SAT phone for the next trip. I feel like what's on top of the hat now about trusting DeLorme.
review image
on January 6, 2016
I love this device, its a great way to stay in touch, i will update next month after i have put more use into it.
on January 3, 2016
I am very happy with my Delorme InReach Explorer.

First and foremost - It does the primary job, which is to function as a 2-way communication device when I am adventuring outside of cell coverage. Although I've never needed it (knock on wood) - the SOS button was there for me to in the event I needed assistance. However, the ability to message and share my tracks has given friends and family peace of mind as I've recreated throughout backcountry in the state of Alaska.

Furthermore it pairs and works nicely w/ my iPhone via bluetooth. The Earthmate App allows downloading maps via wifi before venturing out, obviating the need for a dedicated GPS and associated electronic maps maps. Working w/ my iPhone in airplane mode, sending waypoint updates every 15 minutes, and occasional messages back and forth throughout the day battery drain was manageable. Using a Goal Zero Switch 10 to keep the Delorme and my iPhone charged I can operate this way indefinitely. If you travel without the ability to re-charge, on trips longer than 2 days, you would need to power manage (turn the unit off and only send waypoint message updates periodically).

It's price competitive - for a comparable GPS w/ topographical maps I think you would be spending money in this ballpark. In full disclosure I don't use the device, I use my phone to access the maps and send messages. This saves battery on the Delorme (no need to activate the screen). Delorme does not lock users in w/ long term contracts.

Finally - the sync, firmware updates etc all work flawlessly on a mac.
on January 3, 2016
An amazing little tool.We use it a lot on our trips by small plane,motorcycle,or boat around Alaska and the Yukon.Couldn't be happier.(our kids bought them too)
on December 25, 2015
Haven't had to use this and am hoping our son never has to but it gives mom a little piece of mind. I did a lot of research before purchasing this as a gift for him. Seems to be one of the best.