Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now Tikes

Style: Base ModelProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingChange

on November 25, 2015
As other reviewers have noted, their billing is unfriendly, but the unit does what it claims to. It's not a rescue beacon, but I didn't expect that. Sometimes getting a clear view of the sky is more of a hike than it's worth, but it works well for intermittent updates to home, which is what I bought it for.
on November 24, 2015
Fantastic..took it on a well offshore trip and maintained full contact via text and email with home. Works very well with Iphone or iPad for ease of typing message. Tracks very well and uses Irridium Sats so very quick sending messages.
Device itself is very reliable and battery life is great.
Cancelled my SPOT...
on November 21, 2015
Has exceeded all of my expectations. Works great with phone or iPad. The texting feature is fantastic along with allowing those you want to know where you are at all times. I will never go out in the wilderness again without it. Have never lost communication with satellites.
on November 21, 2015
Fantastic Value
on November 14, 2015
I am an amateur photographer who tends to find himself in some unpleasant and dangerous locations pursuing the hobby. What prompted my purchase of the inReach SE was a week-long trip alone in Death Valley National Park taking photos far from the beaten path (and any cellular service). Initially, my thought was to rent a satellite phone during that time, but those costs totaled well over $100, and besides, all I wanted was a means of emergency communication, and to provide some peace of mind for my friends and family as to my whereabouts. After doing some research, the inReach SE and Iridium satellite constellation fit the bill perfectly, especially considering that I am certain to find myself in other locales in the near-future where wireless communication will be unreliable, if not impossible.

I purchased the inReach SE, paid the annual ~$25 Freedom Plan fee (which allows me to suspend/re-activate service at no additional cost) and then chose the ~$35 Recreation Plan service subscription (a 30-day subscription which encompassed my trip, covering 40 texts, as well as unlimited tracking points, location pings, and preset messages). The device worked perfectly, as I was able to communicate with my family - even just to let them know things were ok, and they were able to not only respond, but also follow my path through a DeLorme provided web page, and they were also able to "ping" the device and see my location on their smartphones, tablets, and computers at any time. Since I have returned to "civilization", I suspended my Recreation Plan, so I am not paying $35 each month for a service I will not need. I will re-activate and pay for another Recreation Plan (or the basic $15 Safety Plan) 30-day subscription for my next trip beyond the bounds of reliable communication.

It should be noted that it is a bit cumbersome to send a message through the device itself (in terms of actually entering the text via the device's interface), however, this is easily overcome by "mating" the inReach to your cellphone or tablet via Bluetooth and the free DeLorme Earthmate app. The Earthmate app (when mated to the inReach) enables you receive and send messages through your personal device, and also to use downloaded DeLorme maps for tracking and your location. In terms of power usage, the device held a charge for well over three days before I felt any need to recharge it with a portable back-up battery I carried with me.

I am very happy with the inReach SE and I appreciating the peace of mind it provides. I would definitely recommend it to those who venture to points far beyond the street lights.
on November 13, 2015
Okay, let say that I love the device but I need one that was waterproof to depth as I am a scuba diver and Delorme doesn't even make a model that is water resistant. I found one that is and so I called to cancel my service and spoke to a Rep. The next month I was charged again and so I called to cancel. And then what happened? You guessed it they charged me again. I called my credit card company and blocked them from charging and then received an email from them threatening to send this to a collection agency if I didn't pay. I finally paid that last bill and they sent me an email conformation that my service was canceled. All of this for $12.27. So, if I was ever thinking about going back to Delorme in the future if they made a waterproof device - that will never happen. They should have canceled my service as requested they first time and not continue to bill me month after month. So while the product is great BEWARE when you want to cancel.
on November 5, 2015
This product really helped me while hiking the John Muir Trail in the off season. It gave my friends and loved ones peace of mind knowing I was ok, helped me get up to date coordinate specific weather reports, and coordinate with people resupplying me on the trail. It will also be extremely useful if I ever do extended sailing trips. I just bought the one month plan with unlimited texts. Just make sure you read all the fine print and navigate the non-intuitive systems they have in place to cancel billing. The GPS part was not very useful. The interface on my throwaway android I bought as a companion was much easier to use, and GPS/mapping on iphone/android/garmin devices are much better.
on November 2, 2015
A pain to turn off. Testing a worse Paine
on October 21, 2015
Awesome Product, no issues at all with it.
on October 19, 2015
I'm generally pretty pleased with my inReach. I have a recent model GPS, so got the less expensive InReach SE rather than the Exporer with GPS Capability, to save a few dollars. It's been working reliably for me most of the summer ~5 months.

The account setup and activation process was easy and quick for me. I chose the least expensive Freedom plan. I end up using the preset messages for around 80% of my traffic, and these aren't counted towards my monthly message quota. I also don't use the tracking feature, which keeps my costs down.

I researched fairly thoroughly before purchasing, and am satisfied with the satellite synch delay times. This isn't talking to cell towers!
I usually get a message sent in 5 minutes or so. The longest it's taken is around 30 minutes. In that case I was in a narrow canyon. It finally synched while I was driving home, sitting on my car dash. There's a blinking light to tell you at a glance that your message is still pending.

I'm impressed by the way the inReach is optimized to maximize battery lifetime. It lasts alot longer than any other GPS type product I have.
I've had it on for 2 days and used less than 50% of the battery. It appears to pretty aggressively suspend the GPS receiver when it locks (sleeps?) and the screen times out and blanks. The downside, is that it takes a few seconds to re-acquire GPS after unsleeping/unlocking.

I've just started playing with the Earthmate Android app. It basically works, and makes typing in message text ALOT less tiresome.

YES, it would be nice if the screen was larger (as long as it didn't use more battery power) and if the unit were a little thinner and sexier looking (It *is* a bit clunky). My guess is that most of the bulk is battery.

Oh, and one trick I occasionally use to get more GPS capability out of the inReachSE, is to have a hardcopy map and use the "location" faature, which displays your lat/long coordinates. This is then easy to plot on a paper map.