4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent accessory for PN series, with a few problems
Published on January 7, 2010 by JWKilgore

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk!
Published on November 6, 2009 by karofred

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent accessory for PN series, with a few problems, January 7, 2010
JWKilgore (Chattanooga, TN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DeLorme Earthmate PN Series Power Kit (Electronics)
I received a new Delorme PN-40 for Christmas (thanks, Santa!) and immediately ordered this travel kit from Amazon. While waiting on the order I used both Energizer "Industrial" alkaline batteries (one set, lasted probably 12+ hours but I didn't time it) Ray-o-vac el-cheapo batteries (lasted about 8 or so hours, again, didn't time it). But I usually use a GPS receiver while geocaching, and I'm very often in a vehicle, on an ATV, or on a bicycle. My truck and the ATV have 12V power points, so why not use them for power?

[Edit: corrected mAh comments]
When I got the kit I immediately installed the batteries, plugged in the 110V charger, and let it sit overnight. The next morning I unplugged it and turned it on, seeing 4 green bars. Unfortunately, this had dropped to 2 yellow bars within 20 minutes, so I start checking things out. That's when I notice that the battery was only rated at 1400mAh, which is on the small side, but still should be adequate. An average rated alkaline battery can have a much higher mAh rating, and high capacity batteries can have well over 2000mAh. So possibly the battery capacity bar is based on the highest capacity battery, so even when fully charged it's slightly over half of maximum.

This was disappointing, and worth a deduct of 2 stars (from the battery life rating), but I could deal with it. I always keep several spare AA batteries to feed my flashlight and headlamp, so I'd just throw a couple extra batteries in the pack if I needed more than extended outings.

About three days after getting the kit I go on an extended geocaching outing. A little less than 300 miles driving with about 8 miles walking/biking over 26 stops. Maybe 8 hours in-vehicle and 7 hours out. While driving, the receiver was always plugged into a 12V power point. I assumed the battery would last me all day; any amount discharged while walking SHOULD have been recharged while driving to the next destination. Wrong. About 1/2 through the trip, I got a low battery warning while walking (meaning it was down to 1 bar). About 3/4 through the trip, I got a critical battery warning while walking and the receiver shut off. I replaced with a pair of alkalines from my pack and kept walking. Back at the truck I kept it turned off and let it charge to the next stop. I had enough power to last for one geocache, then it shut off again. It turns out that just because it's plugged it, the receiver is running on external power, and the battery type is set to "rechargeable", that doesn't mean the batteries are actually getting charged. They aren't running down, but they aren't filling up either. I had to work a bit to make sure the status said "charging", usually requiring shutting the unit down and re-starting. This is a more serious problem. I would have deducted far more than 1 star from the "convenience" rating, but I feel this is more of a receiver problem than of a battery/charger problem.

Ultimately, though, this is a good purchase and worth the money. It's much cheaper than buying each item individually, and if you use it a lot, it's much cheaper than buying lots of alkalines to throw away.

Pros:
- allows the use of external power while driving, even if using alkaline batteries
- reduces waste having to throw away dead batteries

Cons:
- low capacity battery
- battery sometimes doesn't charge when the receiver is running and plugged into the 12V adapter

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk!, November 6, 2009
This review is from: DeLorme Earthmate PN Series Power Kit (Electronics)
I read reviews before I purchased my Delorme Earthmate PN-40 that the batteries lasted 10 hours. My first trips were with standard alkaline batteries. Not bad but they did not last for my 8 hour backpack trip. I then purchased Energizer Ultimate Lithium which did better. I had some power left after a 9 hour hike. But shortly after starting another hike the Energizer Lithium batteries gave out. I had more in my packpack so I installed them and continued on my way.

I decided that this was too bothersome so I bought the Delorme PN Series Power Kit. I thought at least I will be able to charge the Delorme batteries without taking them out of the PN40.

The kit came with a standard wall charger, a 12 volt charger system and a 1400 mAh battery. I thought I am ready to go no more issues. Boy! was I wrong! The freshly charged Delorme lasted 5.5 hours.

I contacted Amazon they immediately sent out a new Earthmate PN Series Power kit. Wonderful service! I fully charged the new battery and turned on my Earthmate PN40 and placed on a window ledge and started to time it's lasting power. Within one hour I lost 25% charge. By the end of the second hour the bars turned yellow and and I had lost 50% battery power.

Delorme's Eatrthmate PN series Power Kit did NOT last as long as regular alkaline batteries!

I will be returning this second Delorme Power Kit and start using hybrid rechargable batteries. Don't waste your time!

5.0 out of 5 stars DEFINITELY BUY THIS!!!! YOU WON'T REGRET!!, September 25, 2009
This review is from: DeLorme Earthmate PN Series Power Kit (Electronics)
When I purchased my Delorme PN-40 I was not sure if I wanted this travel kit. However, one feature that I noticed was that NONE of the handheld gps's had a way to re-charge instead of continously always buying AA batteries. I did purchase this travel kit but my friend did not. She has had to change the batteries after each one of our trail rides where I have only had to recharge. If you get a Delorme - definitely get this!

4.0 out of 5 stars Much longer operation with PN-60, July 4, 2010
C. Dillman (North Yarmouth, Maine USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DeLorme Earthmate PN Series Power Kit (Electronics)
This set-up works far better with the PN-60. Cords and chargers are of good quality it has always been questionable battery life. I could not even get 3-4 hours out of the Li-ion with the PN-40. With this battery my new PN-60 last about 8-10 hours under heavy usage (lots of screen views). I would not recommend anything but the Energizer lithium for multi-day hikes and still carry a set as back-up for long day hikes but have not needed to use them yet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for off-grid hunting, October 20, 2009
This review is from: DeLorme Earthmate PN Series Power Kit (Electronics)
You need this for hunting while off-grid with only a vehicle 12V DC outlet available. The system is pricy in my mind, but has worked for us on a current bighorn sheep hunt in MT. Bummer is, the GPS only allows this particular li-ion battery for use and charging. It won't work with other li-ion or other rechargables.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good accesory for PN40, September 22, 2009
This review is from: DeLorme Earthmate PN Series Power Kit (Electronics)
If you have an Delorme Earthmate PN40 then this is a must have. I am thinking of getting additional batteries to keep an extra set charged for days when I might wish to use it for longer than six hours. I could probably get more use out of one charge if I reduced the amount of delay in the backlight turning off.

4.0 out of 5 stars essentials, December 28, 2009
This review is from: DeLorme Earthmate PN Series Power Kit (Electronics)
Purchased with Delorme PN-40. These are essential items. I would suggest buying another battery though as a backup since the life is about 5 hours on this one.

It's March now and the batteries aren't holding a charge.

4.0 out of 5 stars DeLorme AG-8097-000 Earthmate PN Series Power Kit, February 28, 2010
This review is from: DeLorme Earthmate PN Series Power Kit (Electronics)
Have only used Btry and House charger so far. Btry is either weak, or Delorme Pn-40 GPS uses a lot of Juice! I've left unit on charger for a day and a night, and when I turn unit on, the Btry shows only 3/4 charge left.

2.0 out of 5 stars Battery is useless, January 23, 2010
This review is from: DeLorme Earthmate PN Series Power Kit (Electronics)
The AC charger is nice as the prongs fold in. The lithium battery is useless, however...it lost 1/4 charge in less than 30 mins, and was dead within 5 hours, despite fully charging it prior to first use. So for a wall and 12v charger, $50 is overpriced. But I'm learning to expect that from Delorme.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS KIT..., November 24, 2009
This review is from: DeLorme Earthmate PN Series Power Kit (Electronics)
Do not buy this from AMAZON, I think they are selling used batteries.. The first one would not charge up to 100%. The second one charged up to 100% but in 10 minutes went down to 85%. After that it only lasted 7 hours. I spoke to Delmore and they sell there kits for the same price as amazon. And you can call them and get a person with a heart beat on the end of the phone. I missed the return date by 3 days so I have to eat this battery and will be buying one from delmore.

DeLorme Earthmate PN Series Power Kit