Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: My Dead Dad Was in ZZ Top: 100% Real,* Never Before Seen Documents from the World of Rock and Roll
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on March 14, 2011
This book is so funny in a sarcastic-type of way. It's really only good for people who know a lot about music, but if you do, it's really awesome and really funny.

If you like this you might also want to try Adult Swim's "Delocated."
on April 24, 2014
This is strictly for fans of Jon Glaser. Unless you're a fan of all the bands he includes in the book, you probably won't appreciate or even recognize his dry, subtle humor. In other words, this book has the potential to be boring and tedious. After a solid opening with his dead-dad-in-ZZ Top bit, which was a segment in one of his stand-up routines years back, the book falls into a lull with the song lyrics. Some of the lyrics were indeed hilarious -- for example, Bob Dylan changing "Highway 61" into an advertisement for a sub sandwich shop -- but the rest of this section takes effort to get through.
The book picks up after the song lyrics, though, and most of the supposedly true behind-the-scenes stories about the rock stars are entertaining. Without even knowing the bands very well, I laughed out loud at the stories about the Keith Richards-Mick Jagger name change, The White Stripes, The Sea and Cake, The Butthole Surfers, and most of the others. Even when I didn't laugh out loud, I was interested enough in reading the last half of the book just to see what scenarios Glaser would concoct.
Still, I know that part of my motivation to read the book and to plow through the slow, unfunny parts was that I already liked Jon Glaser's comedy before I bought the book. I don't think My Dead Dad was in ZZ Top can earn Glaser any new fans.
Regardless of comedic value, one feature about the book continually frustrated me: the length and the glossy pages. The cost of the book could've been much lower if he had placed 2-3 of the "document" facsimiles and section openers on a single page instead of devoting 1 whole page to each one. Some of the facsimiles are very short and really belong on one of the previous pages. Most sections are very short, too, and yet for each section, the book includes a blank side of a page and then a whole page devoted to the heading and a 1-2 sentence introduction. This 168-page volume only contains around 40 pages of actual text! And the glossy pages were just completely unnecessary.

I hate to say this about Jon Glaser, but I wonder if he purposely padded the book with more pages and included unnecessary features in order to jack up the cost per unit. I would've preferred more content in fewer pages.

But, hey, not many books are actually laugh worthy, and if you like Jon Glaser, you'll definitely laugh at some of the content in this book. I do see myself rereading sections of My Dead Dad several times, and I'm glad I could support him as a comedian. If he writes another book, I'll buy that, too.
VINE VOICEon February 8, 2011
LOVED IT -- THIS BOOK ROCKED!

I think this book is what happens when you mix a rock nerd with some photoshop skills, some old paper and the ability to think in the absurd. The "lost" lyrics are spectacular and I have a feeling that they probably could have been the actual lyrics in some cases. My all time favorite is the letter from Ringo telling his mates that he is starting a Beatles Tribute band, which is something that isn't really so far from the truth with his All Starr Band. This is one of those books that are coffee table worthy. It would also make the perfect gift for that uncle you never know what to buy. I received this book from the publisher at no cost in exchange for my honest review.
on March 19, 2013
I really enjoy Glaser's sense of humor in general, but the bit wore thin fairly quick in this book. There were a few legitimate laughs, but I found myself limping through the last half, disappointed.
on April 4, 2012
Haven't finished reading this book yet, but so far it has been a fun read. Not my normal choice in reading but so far I find it to be a pleasant change of pace.
on March 22, 2013
My husband loved it, he likes Jon Glaser in Delocated and this was on his wishlist. It is a funny book. The book came quickly and was in great condition.
on August 28, 2011
This book made me laugh. If you like Jon Glaser's work, then this book will give a serious case of cancer of the chuckle. Make sure you wear your laugh diaper.
on March 5, 2014
this was a gift and it was in great condition. It was on list wish list and they were excited to get it.
on September 10, 2011
A very clever premise, executed with very average wit. A few of the ideas made me smile, but hilarious?! - no. Also, the author presents the reader with apparent photocopies of the original (fictitious) documents. Again, clever, but many segments require a magnifying glass to read, whereas others are outright illegible. All in all, the book fell flat and disappointed.