5.0 out of 5 stars Unsettling, deeply disturbing and exceptionally good
Dead Europe' is the story of an Australian artist/photographer who travels through Europe, in the search of his mother's roots. He is not only confronted by the ghosts of his own family's past, but by the unspeakable past and unspoken of status quo of a troubled Europe. I can see many reasons why Tsiolkas has won literary prizes.

This is an outstanding book...
Published on December 21, 2010 by Dr. Christine Maingard

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing effort by Christos Tsiolkas.
A book full of unlikeable people doing unpleasant things to each other. Gave up reading it after a few chapters.
Published 8 months ago by Trish

5.0 out of 5 stars Unsettling, deeply disturbing and exceptionally good, December 21, 2010
This review is from: Dead Europe (Paperback)

This is an outstanding book. Complex, beautiful, painful, unsettling and deeply disturbing to a point where some of the writing becomes so explicit that it is uncomfortable to read. A few times I put the book down, thinking 'this is not my scene...i am not interested in such off-putting stuff...'. But at the same time it made me realise that this is how some people experience life. This is what they do! In a way Dead Europe made me understand part of human nature and their resulting actions from an angle I would not have dared to look from and understand otherwise.

Tsiolkas has been heavily criticised by some readers for his other books (such as The Slap: A Novel. I haven't read any, so I can't comment. But, at the same token, I think the criticism comes from those who may find it difficult to come to grips with the complexity and depth of his writing, and perhaps more importantly, because all of a sudden the reader is confronted with realities of human nature that is too uncomfortable to accept, examine or to deal with.

Christine Maingard, Author of 'Think Less Be More:Mental Detox for Everyone'

1.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment, March 19, 2014
This review is from: Dead Europe (Kindle Edition)
I attacked this book with great anticipation, as we were travelling in Europe at the time, and there's always an extra frisson of enjoyment when reading locale coincides with travels. I couldn't even make it to halfway - it was unpleasantly sexually explicit and violent, with far more negatives than positives for me. The Slap had exclusively unpleasant characters, but I could relate to them and their situation. Dead Europe was just way outside my areas of experience and interest.

1.0 out of 5 stars Should like but don't, December 31, 2013
This review is from: Dead Europe (Kindle Edition)
Yuck! had to read it for uni but not my book! Loved Loaded and the slap but Dead Europe is not for me. Tsiolkas ends up owning french feminism writing aesthetic in this novel. But not for me!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing effort by Christos Tsiolkas., November 14, 2013
This review is from: Dead Europe (Kindle Edition)

2.0 out of 5 stars Dead Europe? Strangled and drained of warmth and hung up to rot, April 25, 2013
This review is from: Dead Europe (Paperback)
Christos Tsiolkas is a gifted and competent writer and this is a novel that stands on its own as a crafted piece of work. Sadly, the story rarely rises above the life as a sewer. I grew increasingly irritated that it was told through endless lighting of cigarettes, bad sex, self pity and the much commented ersatz vampire story woven into the plot. Anti-Semitic? It rehashed the worse myths of being Jewish and through the mouths of different characters seemed to imply, it was the effect of religion; a by-product forged through the mesh of history of an older Europe that Australians or other such innocents could not understand. Bollocks! The dumb pseudo conversation on this topic between Isaac (the protagonist) and his lover Colin (schooled by a white supremacist but who had seen through that, blah blah) was offensive and shallow. Mr Tsiolkas has captured the seedier side of Europe post Soviet collapse and the new order of market driven values. Read about how people have to sell whatever they have in order to survive and at what cost. But there is also more than that. I contrast this book to Fiona McGregor's Strange Museums. A writer with more compassion and understanding of the casual hatreds engendered from ignorance and fanned by nationalism. Dead Europe is not recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Shock and yawn, December 13, 2012
This review is from: Dead Europe (Kindle Edition)
I don't know what to make of this book, or the authors intent. If the book is meant to shock, it succeeds in that it shockingly wore out my patience with the graphic sex, the anti-semitism, the bored and boringly cynical characters, each more ghastly than the next.
Yes, yes, yes, Tsiolkas, we get that you are are gay Greek guy, but you moved past that so beautifully with "The Slap", that I was expecting something more with this book. I didn't think the added supernatural elements added anything to the book either.

5.0 out of 5 stars dead review, March 1, 2012
This review is from: Dead Europe (Kindle Edition)
Great read: engaging and disturbing. An even better read than 'The Slap' and I really enjoyed 'The Slap". Thoughtful insight into the protagonists mind, soul and self and photography!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read but..., March 11, 2012
This review is from: Dead Europe (Kindle Edition)
I loved The Slap and I was looking forward to settling into Dead Europe, which i did, in the beginning. It was in 'Prague', that I began to wonder just what this author was trying to do. The gratuitous and woefully self indulgent sex scenes were gross and off putting. However by then i wanted to know more about the Greek family so i trudged on through the mire to a very unsatisfying ending. I am not going to say I didnt like the book because Christos Tsiolkas is a captivating author but really a great and gripping story was spoiled by the unnecessary graphic sex and depravity.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint hearted., February 17, 2012
Abby (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Europe (Kindle Edition)
This book had the potential to be great but the unnecessary and constant graphic parts ruined it for me. I'm by no means a prude but some parts of this book were just disgusting. I'm glad that I read "The Slap" first otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with that after reading this.

Dead Europe
Dead Europe by Christos Tsiolkas (Paperback - November 1, 2011)
Used & New from: $3.49