4.0 out of 5 stars Great Co-op Game

3.0 out of 5 stars Not amazing..not bad.. just ok
Published on September 4, 2012 by Brendan

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Co-op Game, September 5, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Island: Game of the Year Edition -Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I got this game as a sugestion from my son. He lives in San Antonio and I live near Ft. Worth, so we look for good co-op games. This way we can kind of hang out with each other. Now, he is way better then I am at this game but it dosn't detract from the fun. One good thing about this game is we don't have to been in the same location all the time, so one of us each of us can accomplish different task at the same time. For a 45 year old man this is a fun way to hand out with his 22 year old son over Xbox live.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Single Player and Co-Op Game, February 7, 2013
BM3 (Augusta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
My daughter convinced me to get this game because we love co-op games. It was rather slow at first, but once we learned the mechanics of the game and started killing zombies, I started to enjoy it. It is a good game for the price and I recommend it to anyone who likes co-op games. The ability to easily jump in and out of other co-op games works well. I even enjoyed it playing as a single player, but co-op is where this game shines. I see a little Left for Dead in the game, which is not a bad thing. This GOTY version is definitely worth the $25 I paid for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great open world RPG... i am having fun, July 7, 2012
Larry Holder (Trinidad and Tobago) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
My friends and I who play together online just got through Ghost Recon Future Soldier and were hoping for a new co-op experience and challenge; we already knew about the game Dead Island but did not really consider it till we saw a GOTY edition. After playing for a couple nights i have to say that this is indeed a fun and challenging game!

This is not a FPS so do not get it confused with L4D2.. in fact this game is actually an Open World RPG set in the back drop of a zombie outbreak at a tropical resort... now as someone who lives in the caribbean, I absolutely loved the concept! True to RPG form you can level up various character attributes and even craft newer weapons as you level up your character of choice. The 4 characters have some various advantages that will suit different play styles (just like most party based RPG's).

It's a lot of fun to jump in a pick up in the game and just drive across the island appreciating the visuals and running over the occasional zombie

This may not come across as much of a review but the game has been reviewed before as the standard edition, i have yet to make use of the extra content so i cannot comment on it as yet. But what i can say is that this is a lot of fun for anyone appreciating good co-op experience (just make sure you have the common sense to understand that you need to level up your character >totally pointing fingers at another reviewer<

I am liking this game a lot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Suprisingly addictive, December 20, 2012
Some had called this Fallout 3 with zombies. I sort of agree. But, I think the better description would be Fallout 3 with zombies light.

The comparision to Fallout 3 is understandable and correct. But, in all fairness, I think that Fallout 3 is deepr and much more nuanced.

Having said that, I found thsi game surprisingy addictive. And as I love the Fallout series, I do love the Fallout 3 aspects oft his game. Open world where you can find all kinds of various weapons and upgrade and modify. And the variety of zomibes (from slow moving easy to kill single zombie to crazy fast moving single zombie to hordes of a mix of these zombies to the much more challenging and tough Thug zombies) and the fact that as you level up so do the zombies.

There are only two things I don't like:

1. You can only repair, upgrade or create weapons by paying for them. Yes, it's easy enough to find items to collect and sell, but why not allow player so pick up the same weapon and use the more damaged one to repair the one they already have in inventory? This differs from Fallout 3 where you can do this. And, if they just wanted to be different or make it more challenging or were thinking the player would be more vested in their weapons if they had to pay to upgrade or create, then, okay, once the weapon is upgrade to the max then at that pont allow the use of more damaged versions of the same weapon to repair the fully upgrade one already in your inventory.

Don't get me wrong. This in no way ruins the game. It just keeps it as really good and at 4 stars instead of being great and at 5 stars.

2. Somehow I completely missed the option to make my game a "private" game. And because I didn't know that option existed players can enter my game at any time and steal my stuff. I hate that. Hate is a strong word and I rarely ever use it. But in this case it is appropriate as I hate it.

Now, if only 1 other person enters my game I can kick them off (you simply "vote" to kick them off). But, if they choose they can come right back. I spent probably 10 minutes one evening entirely devote to repeatedly kicking off the same player who kept coming back trying to steal my stuff. He or she finally gave up and stopped coming back. But that was incredibly annoying and a completed waste of my time.

However, if two buddies are playing together and they enter my game, as has also happened, I cannot vote one of them off unless the other agrees with that vote and also votes to kick them out. And as they are playing together and both of like mind to steal my stuff, I am at their mercy. I hate that. Then the only way to stop it is to log off of my game thus ending their access to it. And what another annoying waste of my time that is.

I would probably actually like the additional challenge of this feature IF I had first played the entire game through as a private game and were now just playing for fun in the open world aspect. But as I am still in the throws to trying to complete the game (and all the side missions - for me a game is not complete unles you have beaten the main story and the side missions), I don't want to have to be dealing with having to worry about people stealing my stuff.

Of course, you're probably asking why didn't I just go back and change this? Because I didnt' discover you could set this up as a private game thus keeping unwanted theives out until I was already at level 12 and had put, in my mind, too much time into it to go back and start over. (I'm now at level 22, have 24% of the main mission complete and have all side missions discoverd thus far completed....and am still thoroughly enjoying the game itself).

So, be aware of issues #1. Not a big deal and certainly not a deal breaker. Still very much like this game. A lot.

But, be very aware of issue #2 and if you're like me, then be sure to set up your initial game as a private game to avoid this repeated annoyance.

If you like Fallout 3 and you like tearing your way through zombies, this is the game for you.

4 out of 5 stars (with a nudge closer to the 5 side).

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome game, July 11, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I'd already bought the original version of this game on release. When I heard there was going to be a GOTY version of the game, I just had to have it. Preordered it (a bit to late, apparently :P ) and yeah, didn't get one. Got me money back though so I bought it from a local store (sorry amazon)

Anyhow, if you have played Dead Island, then you know what this is, it's basically the same game, but it has a few "DLC" extra's. And they DLC is on the disc, you don't need live (I got the xbox version) to play the extra's. It has a multi-playered mode, the Ripper (a pretty awesome blueprint for a nice bat) and of course the Rider White character's campaign, which is totally different from the other characters campaign.

Only real complaint is that the rider white is a really short, it took me about 5.5 hours to go through it, but then I dig through everything LOL so yeah, your experience may vary.

Over all, the game is awesome, if you don't have the original, then I'd say this game is a must have. If you already have the original, you can buy the rider white episode for 10$, don't know about the other two things, but I think this was a good deal. Especially for fans of post apocalyptic games ad zombie games.

5.0 out of 5 stars love this game, February 2, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
a while back, my friend brought this game over to my house and i was initially disappointed. it seemed completely different from what the trailer made it out to be and i was annoyed that me and my friend couldn't try it out via splitscreen. i only played a half hour or so of the game and over a year later, i decided to get the game. it was on sale around black friday and me and my friends all got ourselves a copy to try it out.

my original impression faded from my mind.

while i'm not big on RPG's but i've thoroughly enjoyed this game. the best way to describe dead island is "borderlands" meets "left 4 dead." i played this game with my 2 best friends and that made the experience all the better. i recommend getting this game and playing it consistently with friends. there's lots to scavenge and you end up using a variety of weapons as you find blueprints and mod's to customize them. as of this review, i need 2 more achievements to get 100% and it's been enjoyable the whole way through. get the game of the year edition so you can play the arena with your friends. it's fun to try for the challenges both so you can level up as well as compete with your friends. i haven't tried the Ryder White campaign yet so there's still plenty to keep me entertained.

in retrospect i'd say this is worth 20 bucks. i got it for 10 but knowing what i do now, i would have bought it for 20

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but the bugs from the original remain, July 25, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I held off on buying Dead Island until the GOTY edition came out since lots of people complained about bugs in the original. I'm disappointed to report that about half-way into the game, the bugs start to appear. At first the game would freeze every so often. Then, it starting hanging during loads. Lastly, it progressed to the point where I was getting unreadable disc errors, despite the disc being in pristine condition. I managed to finish the game though, even with the frustrating bugs and I still recommend the game despite the bugs.

Dead Island is a rather difficult game, which I found frustrating at first. I played on my own, so that may have contributed to some of the difficulty. I died many, many times in this game. Luckily, you're re-spawned near where you die, so dying isn't that big of a deal. Some of your cash is taken away after dying, but that's about it.

This game kept growing on me as I played though. It has an array of missions and I would estimate it took me about 30 hours to beat the entire game. I played all the side missions I could find. Some of them were rather goofy, like delivering insulin to a diabetic character. Some missions were more serious, but there was a degree of levity in this game, not often seen in similar games.

The types of zombies can get repetitive, but the game makes up for it in the beauty of the scenery. The game looks stunning overall. Lots of different weapons are found throughout the game, which can be customized. You can also pick different skills to improve your character as you level up. The controls feel intuitive and work as expected. "Killing" the zombies is fun too, I have to admit.

Overall, this game is a lot of fun if you can tolerate the bugs and can handle the difficulty level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zombies, January 1, 2013
Anyone who like zombie movies will like this game. Better than just a shooter game, this game requires planning and allows you to fight off zombies in different ways besides just shooting them. Nice open world gameplay, this is one of the best open world games I have ever played.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome game you ether love it or hate it. I LOVE IT TO DEATH. no pun intended., July 3, 2014
just ordered this game today. played it before on my nephews 360 about a year ago and loved the hell out of it. I also have dead island rip tide and loved the hell out of it too. i beet rip tide four times with four different character. games have there flaws but put your self In that situation your going pick up what ever you can find to defend yourself from something that is going to eat you alive whether its a stick, rock even though that's not in the game, or crowbar. etc. weapons brake and degrade over time although a crowbar will last a lifetime in the real world. but beating a skull that takes 2000+ lbs. to crush shits going to ware down over time.
all in all in my opinion this game is better then left for dead even though left for dead is a great game. I like games to last.
bring on the zombie apocalypse. this world need it and if we didn't have training simulators like dead island or call of duty how the heck are we suppose know what to do in a situations like those. having an idea on what to do is better then being throne into the mix with a thumb in you mouth and a blankie in your arm saying goo goo gaga. love this game!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not amazing..not bad.. just ok, September 4, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
First off.. This game has many technical flaws. A pinch of my quests were bugged,causing me to start over checkpoint to continue -______-.. and the graphics are very mediocre. The game has difficulty loading explosions and several enemies running everywhere, flames, water textures.. And throughout it gets very very annoying and ruins the experience. The story is pretty below average, and the characters arent likeable whatsoever(Fortunately some questions about the story are answered in the Ryder white DLC and it brings things together better than it did game alone). The skill trees fall flat in my opinion.. Singleplayer makes you feel uncomfortable considering how hard enemies are when you start off..This game was meant for Co-oP. I think they could have done so much more with the intro and how the apocolypse was introduced. And the side quests feel completely pointless considering everyones gonna die anyway. like wtf.. No choice making, you dont feel like you made an impact in the story what-soever, and half the quests you do dont build up to anything. Once you pick up guns, thats all you wanna use considering hordes get more difficult. The good sides of this game are that the island is beautiful, the gameplay can get really intense at some times,the sounds of the undead are really well done, and creating custom melee weapons is pretty sick, driving is arcade like-fluid and fun. I give this game a 7.5-8/10. Because it is playable, but the technical glitches are annoying, and the story and characters are boring.. and if youre not playing co-op.. gets tough. This game deserves atleast a rent.

Dead Island: Game of the Year Edition -Xbox 360