Dead Island: Game of the Year Edition - Playstation 3
Platform: PlayStation 3Edition: Game of the YearChange
Price:$16.49+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on September 9, 2012
Dead Island Game Of the Year fixes most all the problems that plagued the original such as
-save problems
-reloading a game only to die
-mission status lost
-leveling up and foe level matching
this game was such a hoot to play anyway, that when the game of the year edition came out,I had to snatch it up. I finally could play the game without said problems.
lots of missions to embark upon, and plenty of hidden goodness throughout the lengthy campaign of Undead elimination.
Weapons are crazy upgradeable and play a huge part in customization in a crazy way.
go buy "Game of The Year" Edition now beacause it is that fun and deep.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 9, 2012
If you were ever curious about a true zombie apocalypse, this game is about as close as you're going to get to one. I've always wanted to play in an Open World Zombie game and even emailed the Rockstar Guys about making one using the GTA engine. They actually emailed me back about Undead Nightmare for Red Dead Redemption before even making it official. Because of the unique combination of the two genres, I like to think I'm partly responsible for its creation, so "Your Welcome Everybody."

This game, however, is First Person. I normally don't like the first person camera view, but it works well for this game. It makes the experience more immersive and the zombie encounters pretty terrifying. The atmosphere and sound design are excellent. If you can make me scared walking around a bright lovely island, you are doing something right. It's very nerve-wracking, but in a good way. Since the game is focused more on melee combat, you always feel like you got to be on your toes. No matter how powerful my weapon is, I'm still nervous and startled when a pack of zombies come rushing over. All you can do is stand your ground and fight.

I heard the game had bugs, but I seriously didn't experience anything game breaking or at all. Zombies sometimes get stuck in doors, but I used that to my advantage and just kicked or sliced them. My weapons never got lost even after dying. If there are complaints for this game, I have to say it's the story, saving and difficulty. After beating it, I still don't quite know what it really was about. Fortunately the combat was so satisfying; I was able to overlook its shortcomings. In regards to saving, the game autosaves only and doesn't allow you to save on your own accordingly. When you die, you respawn around the area you died and sometimes that can be in close vicinity to a pack of zombies. I'd rather they have a checkpoint system. My guess is that they kept it that way because they figured most people will probably play online with others. I personally played through it by myself. Having the option to play with others adds more to the experience, so I really can't complain about that.

The game can be difficult especially when you reach the city. There are more infected that come rushing at you. I died a lot, so the game does require a little bit of patience. My advice would be to do as much as you can on the island to upgrade your character's combat and fury. Know which abilities are worth upgrading and not. Take advantage of whatever option the game gives you. If you see the chance to go higher ground, take it. There's no shame in jumping on top of a car and whacking them with your bat. It's pretty effective when you run into a crowd. If you can avoid them, do it. You don't have to fight every zombie you come across. Be like Forrest and just run. Also drive when you can. I don't know how many times when I would just run over zombies instead of fighting. It comes in handy when you have to travel a long way. Remember it's all about survival not being reckless.

All in all this game was a blast. It's the most ambitious zombie game I've ever played and the most immersive game I've experienced. It feels like a major upgrade to the Survival Horror genre. For the future, I wish the developers would add more mission diversity besides fetch quests and include mini-games to break up the action and suspense. Resident Evil 4 did something like this with the shooting range. Games like these can be pretty stressful, especially playing alone, so sometimes you want to relax at a safe spot and forget there are zombies roaming around.

Things to know: you can replay a new game or chapters with your upgrades and weapons after you beat it, but only with the character you beat it with. I used Xian because she has excellent stamina and is a sharp weapons expert. All DLC is included. I haven't touched them yet because I'm taking a break. It's a long game, but rewarding once you're done.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 21, 2013
(Generally same review can be given for Riptide too)

I love zombie games and had a lot of fun with this one. If you are a zombie game nut, it is definitely worth it to play this one. It was different being in a tropical/vacation type spot struggling through a zombie take-over.

Game play can get kind of repetitive. Weapons break and you have to either repair them or find new ones. Zombies re-spawn. New monster introduction kind of confused me at first...see the thing is you get to choose from four different characters to play...so in the game it's you running around and playing the game...but in cutscenes and monster introductions all four of the characters are shown walking together so you're like "Why are there four people with me all of a sudden?" I guess you're supposed to pretend all four of you are running around and playing together. I don't know. And I thought the new monster intros were actually boss fights at first but that's not the case.

There are also like five different levels of weapons and they use font color to separate them in order of most common to rarest. Unfortunatley the booklet I got with the game had a mistake when it listed the most common to rarest using the colors and it listed violet twice. Just know that Gold is the rarest. It goes from white (most common and generally weakest), green (second), blue (third), violet (fourth), gold (least common and generally strongest).

I did not care for multi-player mode. It might have been fine if I'd have played with a friend or something or if I actually had the skype capability, but I did not and there's no real way of communicating to eachother to know what is going on when you enter someone's game. Maybe I just didn't figure it out. Plus when enemies drop stuff only one player can get the item, so when someone joined my game and we got into kind of a boss fight and a gold weapon was dropped and I took it (because sometimes it's hard to tell who actually was instrumental in killing a boss...it gets confusing with so much going on) the other player insisted it was his and kept bombing me until I dropped the item. So there's no real setting to turn off being able to hurt each other either to avoid this.

You cannot go back and replay levels. You cannot have different saves of the same game either so you can go back and replay from a certain point. It saves automatically often, so you're out of luck if you didn't care for how a certain quest went. This gets real bad with multiplayer...for if you get three strangers that enter your game and advance a quest too fast because they know it and you don't, and you miss stuff or don't really know what's going on...too bad. You'll just have to wait until you finish the game and replay from the beginning, if you have the notion to. This is where I think the makers of this game really let us down. It can be argued that this is supposed to give us a realistic zombie apocalypse experience and in real life you wouldn't be able to go back and replay something, but I think it sucks. :)

IMPORTANT INFO: Practice and get to know how to throw and drop a weapon or item before you advance too far into the game, and get used to the weapon wheel and how to change weapons in combat. The reason I say this is due to the ease at which you can throw and drop things in this game you lose things often if you don't get this move down right away. It really hurts to the core losing a very rare weapon (violet or gold) and I've done it three or four times in both this game and Riptide. Check your weapon wheel often to see if your favorite weapons are missing. You may be able to find it on the ground if it is. Also, careful throwing weapons at monsters. Often, if you die after having thrown your weapon and killing a zombie before you can collect it, both the zombie and weapon will be gone when you respawn. I made a habit of never throwing my rare weapons because of this problem.

Warning!!! MOLTOV BLUEPRINT: Most blueprints you can go back and find anytime. Not the beloved moltov blueprint. I suggest reading the walkthroughs online on where to find it. Once you finish the quest...it's gone. And moltovs are one of the most effective and awesome weapons against hordes of zombies, and you don't find but a handful of them in the game. Or if they can be bought...they are expensive and by the time you can buy them the zombies are too strong and it'll take two or three of them to wipe them out.

I kind of got off-track...so yes...if you like modifying weapons to fight zombies, finding items to fight them with, side quests, open exploring, it's great.

Storyline is eh...okay.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 31, 2013
I played this game with my wife and we loved it. (NOTE: We got one copy used and bought one off Amazon so we could play together on two different Playstations. Two people cannot play on the same Playstation). This provided hours and hours of fun zombie killing. We played characters with very different skills — I was the melee guy, and she was the gun-toting girl. This made us a pretty killer combination.

Some highlights of the game:
- Skill trees: Customize your character and pick up additional skills. Some of these perks are really fun, like "stomp," which automatically kills zombies that have fallen down
- Making your own weapons: this makes picking up items really fun. The modified weapons look fantastic too.
- Different maps: There are several areas in the game (won't give it all away) that make the game fresh and interesting every time your move onto the next chapter.

Most important: the co-op aspect is fantastic. I think playing this game by yourself could be scary, but playing with another person makes it really fun. You help each other out, exchange items, and run around in panic mode together.

I highly recommend this game if you have a friend you like to play with via online connection. (AGAIN: Two people cannot play on the same Playstation). It's a lot of fun and a lot of zombie killing.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 26, 2013
Dead Island may have glitches yes, but the glitches don't ruin the game. This game is massive and beautiful. The animations aren't stunning, but they get the job done. As soon as you get a machete or sickle, you soon find out this game is a gore-fest! Then, after grabbing resources and getting mods ranging from baseball bats with a SAW ontop, to poison that will make zombies throw up their own intestines, you notice that all the scavenging your doing is really worth it. The mods help keep the game fun. The guns though, are downright USELESS! Even when you put a mod on, it is still bad, so I just sell all my guns. When you buddy up with a friend, then it gets really amazing as your taking down bigger enemies together. Also, there are four different characters each with their own unique skills, so there is replayability.If it weren't for useless guns and glitches it would be 5/5
on February 26, 2013
This game sounded good so I bought it. Great scenery, lots of quests and side quests. The maps give you direction so there is no need to buy a game guide. Any small issues you can easily find an answer to online. I have played it through 4 times and still find new things everytime.

A hint, Play through with the big guy from New Orleans the first time, he is the only one that heals on his own and will save you time the first time through. Figure 40 hours first time through with side quests, 20-25 for a replay.
on March 19, 2013
I bought this game a while back and lost it. I seen that it was on sale on Amazon and wanted to play it. It was just like I remembered. Very good. You run around killing zombies and trying to keep your weapons from degrading to much. I have only be about to play it for a couple of hours and will be playing it for several more. For a $20 game it is just right.
on March 12, 2013
This game is amazing if you like zombies. it is one of the more intense zombie games out there with how far it goes in blood and insane moments of terror while trying to survive. the co-op is very awesome as well.
on March 10, 2013
I was hoping this game would not be a wasted purchase since the latest zombie games seemed to be a bust but this game actually turned out to be a very good game. it has a lot of great "scare the hell out of you" moments.
on March 2, 2013
Been having a ball with this game, very nice! Still learning the map, but otherwise a great time playing this game, guaranteed!

See 1 answered question