5.0 out of 5 stars First Time Reviewer
Published on May 7, 2011 by Artemis

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars - a flawed, but very fun, zombie tale
Published 17 months ago by Justin G.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Time Reviewer, May 7, 2011
This review is from: Dead Living (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book, so much so that I decided to write my first review ever! I love zombie books and am always looking for a little differentiation amongst them. This book really gave me that. The books jumps right into the action, provides plenty of surprises, and had just enough violence or gore. The main character was unique and different from any other that I have experienced in a post-apocalyptic zombie book. There was even some romance in it, which I also love. It was a page-turner from the beginning and was disappointed to see it come to an end. I was very happy with this book and would highly recommend it to others for their collections!

5.0 out of 5 stars A book with (bloody) heart, April 29, 2011
This review is from: Dead Living (Kindle Edition)
Dead Living, by Glenn Bullion, is not your ordinary Zombie Apocalypse. This is a book with (lots of bloody) heart.

Opening with your expected zombie-induced chaos, Bullion holds nothing back in showing the initial confusion and devastation expected by the genre. The thing that really sets this book apart, is that he quickly moves past the gore and destruction into a story with real depth and human emotions. Don't be lulled into complacency, though, because there is still plenty of blood, guts and spilled brains to keep the story moving quickly.

Aaron is a main character who seems almost too good for the new world reality, but Bullion makes sure that you see even the best of us has a breaking point. And that breaking point is a doozy.

Sam, the other main character in this book, is truly a product of her environment. Her skepticism and instinct for self-preservation are the perfect foil to Aaron's ease and self-confidence. The other, more minor characters are also very well-handled and well-rounded. Their believability is what really makes this story a good read.

On the 1-5 star rating system, I give Dead Living an enthusiastic 5 stars. If you are in the market for a good read with a bit of gore on the side, this is the book for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars What Happens After they rise???, April 26, 2011
This review is from: Dead Living (Kindle Edition)
The book begins with the first zombies to rise and is very action packed. It then goes about 14 years after the zombies and we find ourselves with the 5 survivors. It's a good book not as action packed as other zombie books, it's more character driven and I really enjoyed it. I would have liked to have seen more action in this book and then I would have rated it a 5 star book.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars - a flawed, but very fun, zombie tale, April 11, 2013
This review is from: Dead Living (Kindle Edition)
In Glenn Bullion's Dead Living, it's been 23 years since the world as we know it ended. The zombie apocalypse came quickly and left very few survivors behind. Those who remained either gathered in small communities, fell prey to slavers or in the unusual case of Aaron, walked freely among the dead. Aaron was content to live a solitary life until he met Samantha, a somewhat reluctant part of a nearby community of survivors. You know how it goes - boy meets girl meets teeming hordes of walking corpses.

I'm not familiar with Bullion's other books, though I gather from some of the reviews here he has a dedicated fan base. I do read a lot of zombie novels though, and I got a real kick out of this one, despite some flaws.

Zombie 411 - We get some interesting variations on the Romero style zombies here. The bite to reanimation time is extremely short, and while most of the zombies are "shamblers," Bullion introduces "thinkers" - zombies who can learn to some degree and lead others to prey. This made for a much more interesting (and dangerous) situation.

The good - Dead Living is a pretty standard zombie tale in a lot of ways, but it has a few things going for it that set it apart. First, in a sea of first person, journal style zombie novels, it's refreshing to see a story that breaks from that. There's also the wrinkle of how someone the zombies are almost blind to can survive and what kind of role he can/should have. It helps that Aaron (and to some extent Samantha) are compelling characters. Not overly developed, but easy to relate to. The characters' charm and their almost quaint romance are endearing, and make it easier to overlook some of the book's flaws.

The not so good - I almost walked away from this book during the first chapter, which read like a less thought-out version of a hundred other zombie opening scenes, and almost bailed again with the next two major jumps in the timeline. I get what the author was trying to accomplish, but the transition felt clumsy. Beyond that, this is a pretty simple story and one that requires you to suspend disbelief more than a few times (how their gasoline is lasting two decades for example). It doesn't seem very well researched or planned.

Despite its obvious flaws, I had a lot of fun reading this, and once I got started I really didn't want to put it down. If Bullion takes a bit more time to really research and plot his next installment, this could be a fun long term zombie series.

Disclosure - I received a copy of this ebook from the publisher for review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome from start to finish!, June 23, 2011
This review is from: Dead Living (Kindle Edition)
Wow! After reading about 15 Kindle zombie books (so far), this stands out as my favorite! The story was really well written, the characters richly developed, and the pace was fast. The thing that I noticed about most (but not all) of the books I'd read previously was that the writing was terse, the characters shallow, and a had lot of violence which didn't demonstrate the intelligence of the characters or their skills. Not so in this book... you even feel like you've gotten to know some of them. I liked that the hero was able to think his way out of dangerous situations (not being subject to infection really helps!) and really help some people that needed it. I'm going to look for other books by Mr. Bullion.

I've had my Kindle for only a short time, and realized early on I couldn't keep spending $10 a book at the rate I read. And what a surprise this one was for only $2.99!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great with a twist...., May 28, 2011
Amazon Customer "Readaholic" (Wichita, KS United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Living (Kindle Edition)
Great zombie book but has a twist. The main character was born right when his mother was turning into a zombie. Apparently this passed on a few traits to him and maybe a couple of others. Great twist on the genre and interesting to see where this will lead and what will develop as this writer continues. I hope there is a series after this debut.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth your time or money, January 21, 2012
This review is from: Dead Living (Paperback)
This is not a bad book but it's not particularly good. If you like your zombies with awkward writing, undeveloped characters, and predictable plot, then this book is for you.

This author needs to watch "Life After People." Given the genre I should be able to suspend disbelief. But cars running on 23-year-old gas? Seriously? At the end of the book, the main character walks into an abandoned house next to where 60 people have been living for 2 decades, and he finds a bottle of whiskey. How can I believe that in all that time all those people haven't completely cleaned out everything useful?

The story does have an interesting, innovative premise. It's just that what is built on that premise isn't very good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Despite Details, Great Zombie Love Story, June 28, 2013
This review is from: Dead Living (Kindle Edition)
Dead Living by Glenn Bullion was a great zombie read...if you can get past some of the hard-to-swallow details:

1) The survivors don't begin to couple off until 14 years after the initial outbreak. Who waits THAT long to make a move?
2) One of the survivors makes a supply run, with a list that includes condoms. What condoms have a shelf life of 14+ years?
3) After 14 years, why are they still doing supply runs? I'm surprised they didn't learn to be more self-sufficient.
4) The zombies are still clothed, and it didn't appear that they were recently infected.
5) They still have viable fuel after 23 years have gone by?!

Luckily, there is a great hook about 1/5 into the story, and the odd details happen less and less. After the two major time jumps (first one 14 years, next one 9 years), the storyline takes off once the two main characters meet. Dead Living goes beyond a tale of survival to a post-apocalyptic love story with zombies.

What really sets Dead Living apart from other undead novels is the focus on the generational gap between survivors. I would waver between pity and admiration for the young survivors who have no memories of the world before the zombie apocalypse.

I think Dead Living will appeal to a lot of zombiephiles, looking for a new angle on post-apocalyptic life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, April 13, 2013
R. Neptune (Castries, St. Lucia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Living (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed it from beginning to end. Really couldn't put it down. Expect another late night with this one. Would highly recommend it !

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly entertaining, February 11, 2013
This review is from: Dead Living (Paperback)
Found this book via Permuted Press/Facebook. Thought I'd give it a try as I've had pretty good luck with PP so far...The lead character, Aaron makes this book go as much as the zombies do.. Nice plot, imaginative, a different twist, VERY entertaining.. There is no cough, dead space in this book. I polished it off in two nights..Whether you like action/gore and/or character study,this story has it all.. Highly recommend and keeping this book in my library.

Dead Living
Dead Living by Glenn Bullion (Paperback - April 5, 2011)
Used & New from: $83.66