5.0 out of 5 stars Keep 'em Coming
I loved Ghost Road Blues, which won the Stoker award, and was looking forward to the sequel, Dead Man's Song. I wasn't disappointed. It was good to reconnect with characters like Crow and Val and The Bone Man. It was good to see again heroes who are heroic and villains who are evil.

Maberry's greatest strengths lie in mixing action with atmospheric suspense...
Published on August 24, 2007 by Charles Gramlich

3.0 out of 5 stars Sophomore Slump?
Published 14 months ago by John Popa

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep 'em Coming, August 24, 2007
Charles Gramlich (Metairie,, LA United States) - See all my reviews

Maberry's greatest strengths lie in mixing action with atmospheric suspense. He does the spooky woods thing as well as anyone out there. It just so happened that I was alone in the house for a few days when I finished Dead Man's Song. I may be staying up late tonight with all the lights on.

4.0 out of 5 stars More problems for Pine Deep, September 29, 2007
In this follow up to Ghost Road Blues, the problems keep piling up for the citizens of Pine Deep. The evil in their midst is growing stronger, while those who have the strength and resolve to fight it are either unaware of it, and/or unaware of their own power, while most of their fellow residents are infected or cowed by the evil. Fortunately, the bad guys aren't that organized, either. (Maberry's strongest gift, I think, is to depict both the mesmerizing and potent evil when one bad guy is on terrible display by himself, but how their cowardice and backstabbing derail them whenever they try to get together, while the good guys get stronger whenever they come together; if you've seen the Legion of Doom vs the Super Friends, you know the dynamic and how entertaining it is to watch.) My only complaint is that the pacing here is glacial until the last five chapters. And the "red shirts" are introduced a little too obviously, before being torn to bloody bits. But it definitely built a lot of suspense and sympathy for our heroes, and I can't wait to find out what happens in the third installment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Springboard for Bad Moon Rising, but good enough in its own right, February 15, 2011
This review is from: Dead Man's Song (Kindle Edition)
Dead Man's Song is the middle filler for Maberry's good, often great and occasionally exceptional, trilogy about the haunted town of Pine Deep. It's not as crisp and riveting as Ghost Road Blues (there is a love scene that goes on for a dozen pages), and a good editor could could have sliced 75 or a hundred pages without missing an iota of important story. Alas, you take the good with the bad sometimes. I wouldn't trade Maberry for a bushel load of most suspense/horror writers nowadays. He's entertaining and creative. I've come to care about what happens to Crow and Val and Mike and several other characters. The blood-letting is ever flowing, but believable in the story's context. Great villains and conversational dialogue help keep the story fresh. One of the things Maberry does well is maintain and switch between several different plotlines with relative ease. Dead Man's Song moves the story along and is a worthwhile read. I'd say it's the weakest of the trilogy, but it's still better than most of what's available. 3 1/2 stars for this one.

Jan 2013 update: I'm a Maberry fan no longer. I read snarky, juvenile, embarrassing posts by Maberry right here on Amazon belittling reviewers opinions of his work. That someone with his (now lack of) credibility and stature would troll reviews and attack people who put money in his pocket is inexcusable. I deleted his books from my wish list and will not buy his work again. As an author, your readership is the only thing that enables you to do what you do. To attack them is foolish and ultimately detrimental to your bottom line. A far more appropriate response would have been to say, "Thank you for posting. I'm very sorry you didn't like this book. I hope you will try one of my other works. Cheers. JM." That I could have respected. Being a jerk to your fan base, I cannot. I'm done with you sir.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, December 23, 2007
Robert (RENO, NV, United States) - See all my reviews
I never write reviews, but I almost didn't buy this book after seeing some of the negative reviews. I liked the 1st book, so I broke down and ordered it, figuring that it would be more of the same as the 1st book and I would probably get bored of it(not that the 1st book was bad at all, but I couldn't imagine what more could happen). It is nothing like the 1st. Yes, the same people and town, but now it really picks up momentum and we are getting into the supernatural on a big scale. I could not put it down. Yes there are a couple of typos that did not get found when edited, but give me a break, it's over 500 pages. Anyway, if you are really caught up in the story, you never notice the small stuff. I can't wait for the next. In spite of the person raving about it not having an ending, I am so glad it didn't. Now I have the rest of the story to look forward to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool story, great characters, October 3, 2013
Amazon Customer (Littleton, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Man's Song (Kindle Edition)
Cool story, great characters. It really whetted my appetite and I just *had* to read the rest of the trilogy! Maberry is a terrific, thrillingly dark story teller. I would read anything he writes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read !!!, July 9, 2013
I am a long term Stephen King fan so when I started reading the Jonathan Maberry trilogy, I was hooked. The pace and the descriptive methods used by the author are top notch, keeping you involved with all the characters as they descend into their own personal hell as the story professes. The only problem with these books is finding the optimum moments to put the book down and get back to life events in the real world

3.0 out of 5 stars Sophomore Slump?, April 30, 2013
I forgave the first book of this trilogy for holding off on its supernatural finale since it was the first book of a series. I figured the second book would get more into the heavy stuff. Unfortunately, even the second book feels mostly like set-up and the characters linger too much, waiting for the next big thing to happen but once they discover it, the book's pretty much over, again, saving its best shots for the next book, instead of giving this book a real sense of closure on its own. The characters remain likable, Mayberry's prose keeps its bounce and style, but when it all felt like just more set-up, it was something of a letdown.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling horror!!, February 25, 2013
Before we view into my thoughts on Dead Man's Song I would like to say a few words about Jonathan Maberry. If you read the notes within the book Maberry is akin to or better than King, and I would warmly agree with this. What Stephen King is able to do so successfully is create small town America and give to the reader some really memorable characters. There is Jack Torrance and his lovable yet strange son Danny, former home loving nurse Annie Wilkes and her obsession with writer Paul Sheldon (she's his no. 1 fan and we all know where that will lead!)The Green Mile which is part fantasy and part horror exploring the relationship between prison guard Paul Edgecomb and new prisoner John Coffey and of course not forgetting that cute mouse Mr Jingles!.....but hold on I hear you say this is a review about Dead Man's Song by Jonathan Maberry...and what a memorable and fantastic story it is. This is the second part of a trilogy, my review for Ghost Road Blues can be read here [...] the final part being Bad Moon Rising. So Dead Man's Song continues the story of Pine Deep, a fictional rural Pennsylvania town that becomes plagued by an evil force thought previously killed 30 years before. What a wonderful cast of characters we have; Malcolm Crow reformed drinker, ex cop and now out to fight the evil fast invading his town, his lovely partner Val (whose Dad Henry was murdered by the evil Karl Ruger at the end of Ghost Road Blues)...there is one very memorable love scene between Crow and Val when Crow gets all sentimental with the love potions and candles....really well written and described by the author over some 8 pages. Two-Truck Eddie (who gets a sexual high from his god worship) is such a mixed up evil predator who believes that God is sending him messages to destroy the beast in the form of young Iron Mike Sweeney. Iron Mike Sweeney, a true 14 year old hero who narrowly escaped death at the hands of Two-Truck Eddie (Ghost Road Blues) and is at the mercy of his butchering evil step father Vic Wingate. Crow comes to the rescue of Iron Mike and offers the youngster a job at the "Crows Nest" where he is determined to teach him the art of self defence..I'm hoping that Iron Mike will teach Vic Wingate his own,very painful, lesson in the final part of the trilogy. Terry "Wolfman" wolfe...the mayor, eloquent speaker but manically depressed, he keeps seeing visions of his dead sister Mandy and believes she wants him to commit suicide. Vic Wingate the ultimate thug who is laying the seeds of destruction and groundwork for the return of Karl Ruger and ultimately the very evil Ubel Griswold. The significance of Griswold and his master plan for the inhabitants of Pine Deep is now made known (but I will not spoil the story by disclosing!)And through all of this carnage walks Oren Morse, The Bone Man singing softly, playing the blues and watching over the unfolding drama. A great cast of characters once again makes the second installment of the Pine Deep trilogy a must read for all true horror fans, it's a journey that will leave you with some great memories and along the way you will meet some great friends and stare the devil in the face!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Blah, June 4, 2012
This book could have easily been combined with the first book, dropped 200 pages and we wouldn't have missed anything. NOTHING gets accomplished here. The few big revelations we got weren't a big surprise as they were all broadcast very loudly in the first book. Where the first book starts to flesh out characters, this one seems to be dialing them back and leaving them flat.

Not sure I will read the third book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't seem to go anywhere, February 8, 2011
It just didn't seem to go anywhere from start to finish. I wouldn't really say this feels like a horror book personally and I've had a better horror experience from many other books. Maybe I just didn't get the right book this time.

Rate and Discover Movies