5.0 out of 5 stars Four pounds of sheer destruction!
I bought this at the insistence of my toddler son when we were at a retail
tool store... and _damn_, this this rocks. My contractor was doing some
post-hole beetle repair, and not making a lot of progress with his flat-steel
Stanley prybar. With a few pokes of this sick puppy, we knew that one of the
rim joists needed replacement, not just a bit of...
Published on May 1, 2009 by William Yerazunis

1.0 out of 5 stars A toy, not a tool.
Published on October 3, 2011 by ConstructionDude

1.0 out of 5 stars A toy, not a tool., October 3, 2011
This review is from: Dead On AN18 18-Inch Annihilator Utility and Wrecking Bar (Tools & Home Improvement)
I had high hopes for the Annihilator. I really needed the spear point but the demo hammer and nail puller/hatchet were great selling points. The job I got it for was a bathroom demo so I would be using the spear, hammer, AND I got to try out the hatchet. Everything was great for the first 10 minutes. Drywall was melting in front of the onslaught the Annihilator put forth. The problem was, when I went to pull the nails from the studs, low and behold, I had broken off one of the nail puller teeth. After my initial "aww that sucks" moment since I just broke my new tool, I noticed that I had also sent a crack down the main shaft of the bar.

The steel, is very very cheap quality. You know how when good steel snaps, it leaves that nice clean "sheer"? Not this steel. It ended up looking like textured rock, and after smacking it a few more times (just to abuse it a little more before returning it) the crack in the shaft got deeper and small flecks of steel/epoxy finish were coming off. Great idea, awesome design, but very sadly, it is a toy and will fail under anything more than household use. It is most certainly not a professional tool for a jobsite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Four pounds of sheer destruction!, May 1, 2009
I bought this at the insistence of my toddler son when we were at a retail
tool store... and _damn_, this this rocks. My contractor was doing some
post-hole beetle repair, and not making a lot of progress with his flat-steel
Stanley prybar. With a few pokes of this sick puppy, we knew that one of the
rim joists needed replacement, not just a bit of bugspray. This is a SERIOUS
instrument of demolition.

The middle part of the tool is a nice grippy rubber molding; I'm not sure
how thick steel in the middle really is. But "thick enough" is thick enough.
It's nice that they took the normal "hangar and small nail puller" hole in the
long end and turned it into a marginally useful wrench as well. There's
a lot of nice touches on this tool like that.

I would NOT recommend this tool for use to move things you care about; there
is no "shallow wedge" on this pry bar, and no way will you ever be able to reuse
that antique crown moulding if you pull it off with this bar (use the flat
Stanley for that sort of work). This bar is all about destruction,
pure and simple. Much more about destruction than the Stanley Fubar; this
thing has a lot more _ways_ to destroy things.

I have yet to use the bottle opener; I didn't even know it had one till I
read a review on another site.

Yes, it does look like a prop from a bad science fiction movie. Get over it.
Or even better, get into it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nail puller that turns heads, April 30, 2009
S. Brescia (Manahawkin, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
A few years ago, I purchased the "original" Exhumer (nail puller and bottle open) from Dead On and liked the look but not the performance. The metal used in the manufacture kept bending and pitting as I tried to pull nails of various sizes until it was almost unusable on any nails smaller the d8.

I was hesitant about purchasing another Dead On tool because of that but gave in to getting this wrecking hammer, the Annihilator, because I'm a sucker for really different looking tools. I fully expected that this would be joining the Exhumer in the back of the tool chest after a few weeks.

Wow, was I wrong. I have been using this tool almost constantly since I got it (house demo and rebuild) and none of my other hammer-pull bar combos can perform like this. It is a heavy tool, heavier than the Estwings I normally use. The handle grip is not quite as comfortable as the Estwing but the longer spread of the claw head gives the Annihilator a great mechanical advantage when pulling nails.

When held in the center of the grip, the Annihilator is nicely balanced to give you a decent hit without too much strain. When held at the very end, this tool gives a powerful strike but will eventual cause strain on your wrist until you get used to it. (weekend carpenters will not get used to using it that way)

The spike at the handle end can be a blessing and a curse. If carefully used, it is extremely handy for spliting boards apart or letting someone know that the last creme-filled dounut is yours. When incorrectly used, you can cause puncture wounds up and down you legs and it goes through standard leather boots. A naturally clumsy person should never be allowed to use this tool for the safety of themselves and the others around them.

Also, never sell short the great looks you get during a demo when you are using a functional tool that looks like it came from the set of Underworld or the Blade movies.

1.0 out of 5 stars dangerous cheap product, August 23, 2013
Rick Wirth (Sunbury, Ohio, US) - See all my reviews
As a contractor, I didn't have anything but praise for this tool for my first 3 or so demolition jobs. This morning, though, I was tearing apart a wall with it and smacked it hard into a 2x4, whereupon the shaft broke in the middle and the head and 1/2 of the shaft buried itself in my knee. One of the claws put a deep gash which required 4 stitches. Looking at the tool, the shaft was two-part, joined with cheap surface welds; all covered up with the plastic of the handle. I consider myself lucky that I didn't suffer a much worse injury. Don't buy this tool and if you have it, throw it away.

1.0 out of 5 stars garbage, August 29, 2012
I bought this hammer to do demo. It is afterall called a wrecking bar. After about a week the forks snapped off while pulling a nail. Then the next week i snapped the hammer clean in two while demoing out a wall. Absolute garbage. It is made out of cheap useless metal i suspect isnt entirely steel. DO NOT BUY.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tears through anything!, January 11, 2010
This is the most potent wrecking bar I have ever owned. When destroying something with your standard Stanley crowbar, a lot of work must be put into wriggling the beak out of whatever you are trying to destroy... This isn't a problem with the Annihilator, as each blow usually either bites off a big chunk of the object or mangles it entirely in one swing.

The beak is great for splintering old wood/fiberboard and for prying stubborn planks apart, the axe cuts through drywall and plaster with a solid hit, the spike will punch holes where you need it, the hammer drives nails, the wrench-like head will bite onto and twist/rip wood apart... this thing is fantastic. I have made very short--and fun--work of many poor, hapless pieces of furniture and a friend's currently-being-remodeled home.

Just be careful how you swing it, and wear thick boots... this thing is packed full of ways to accidentally hurt yourself!

1.0 out of 5 stars Mine Broke, March 21, 2013
I had the 18-inch version of the Annihilator for a little over 6 months of actual use. I mainly used it to deconstruct pallets to salvage to wood. I go through a lot of pallets. I probably used this tool to take apart over 50 pallets over the past several months. They were not the normal, softwood pallets you often see. These were oak pallet skids used to transport sheet metal. They took a lot of work to get apart.

Everything was going great with this tool for a while. It was heavy, but that was an advantage when pulling epoxied ring-shank nails from hardwood. That was this tool's main job. The other common thing I used it for when taking apart the pallets was to remove the planks from the 4x4 posts that held the skids together. This was where I ran into the problem. The best way that I have found to remove the planks from the posts without splitting or cracking them is to place the end of the plank on a block of wood such that the pallet rests on the block and the post (onto which the plank has been nailed) is elevated off the ground. I then use a hammer to hit the post down, pulling it from the plank and the nails. This may be hard to visualize, but the point is that I was also regularly using the Annihilator's hammer feature. After taking apart about a dozen pallets in this way, the Annihilator literally BROKE IN HALF at a point an inch under the plastic handle on the hammer side.

I broke the Annihilator in half using it as a hammer, a function that the tool is clearly intended to have. I investigated the break, and found that the failure occurred at a weld in the handle. You read that right. This tool is WELDED together in the middle of the handle, not forged as a single piece. It's not even a shape that would be hard to mill out a mold for. They clearly cut costs with the manufacture of this tool by forging it in two separate pieces.

For its capable nail-pulling prowess, I give it one star. I give it no more because it broke in manner that is unacceptable for a tool intended to be used as a hammer due to a manufacturing shortcut.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible tool!, May 7, 2013
Super poor tool. Sure it looks neat but its soft as butter and the mold degradation is terrible (yes, it's cast metal). Mine almost broke trying to split some cedar. The worst and most dangerous aspect of this tool is the hidden weld in the handle that is covered by the grip. This tool is made from two seperate pieces of metal!!! Absolute garbage. Stay far far away.

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of crap, May 20, 2013
I ordered this because I need a new hammer, and a multifunction one would be nice. The weight of this is Completely wrong to swing, the handle is plastic instead of a good rubberized material and the whole thing is Cast, not forged. I am seriously disappointed with this device. Do not buy it if your intent is to use it as a hammer for everyday work. I guess it could look cool on your wall or something.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bought one, returned it, April 29, 2013
I bought one of these because once I saw it, I couldn't imagine NOT needing it! On the surface, this thing looks like it would be a great tool for a lot of uses, particularly around the deer camp and universal tool to carry in the truck. I guess that I should have read the packaging more carefully though. This thing is designed to destroy.

Once I started to actually use it on a project, I decided for driving more than a few nails, it is too heavy to use as a comfortable substitute hammer. The pointed handle also began to seem like a bad for use out in the boonies far from medical help in case you happened to stumble while carrying it, or drop it. The whole thing seems a bit unwieldy to me for any kind of sustained use, and if you have just a small amount of drywall to tear down, you could probably manage with some other tool. I returned it for the small version of the Stanley FUBAR, which seems better suited to my needs of building and repairing, rather than destroying.