5.0 out of 5 stars Serial Killer With a Twist
Published on March 2, 2009 by Sandra Cody

3.0 out of 5 stars a visit to an amusement park
DEAD ON felt like I was riding on a roller coaster. Starting out slow, it gave the reader necessary details. A man who mistakes love after returning from the Civil War. Not reciprocated, he kills the woman. The suspense starts and it becomes a time travel book.

Published on May 3, 2010 by L. B. Taylor

3.0 out of 5 stars a visit to an amusement park, May 3, 2010
This review is from: Dead On (Paperback)

Pop to the present and a serial killer is loose aiming his hatred and revenge on one Dr. Ann Yang, county medical examiner for Bucks County, PA. Here the book has the edge of a thriller. Slide back to 1961 for another story but it is related. Move on to the present and there are more deaths. Ann finds a diary. A diary with weird things that happen. Could Ann have lived many lifetimes and does she want to explore reincarnation? You have a slight fantasy and you may want to take notes because there is A LOT going on.

OK, keep reading. Jump back to 1902 when the diary takes place. Someone dies. There are some elements of erotica. More details. Yes, I kept reading. And no, I didn't cheat and look at the end of the book like I wanted to. So much is packed into this story. Intrigue, some ideas that are original, a possible romance, gore, sex, ghostly elements, a who's who, and a killer who is revealed at the end. And it was a surprise for me.

This story sort of reminded me of THE MIRROR by Natalia Lincoln with the storyline constantly flipping back and forth from the present to some part of the past. This can be confusing. It had some original ideas but it was too long. At 203 pages it shouldn't have felt this way but it did. Also, the f-bomb is dropped frequently so if this is not to your liking be aware.

From what I understand Ms. Jameson is currently writing a sequel. I would read it if I could borrow it from the library. Don't get me wrong, this story could have been great but there was just way too much going on. I thought Ms. Jameson was stretching herself by making it a thriller, suspense, time-travel with some ghostly elements, romance, mystery with a serial killer and gore. These are all genres that I have read and some stories with each theme I have enjoyed so I don't feel I am prejudicial when it comes to any of these topics. Five authors are listed on the back cover recommending this book and there will be some of you who enjoy it. For me, it was alright but not something I could recommend.

I never think of the future - it comes soon enough. ~Albert Einstein

5.0 out of 5 stars Serial Killer With a Twist, March 2, 2009
Sandra Cody (Doylestown, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead On (Paperback)
DEAD ON is woven around an intriguing premise - a serial killer chasing his prey through time. It begins in Virginia just after the Civil War and makes its way to a small town in Pennsylvania in the present time. Jameson manages to remain true to her characters in the different time periods and has a nice way of handling setting, especially the current time in a picture-perfect small town with some sinister secrets. She gives sufficient detail to make settings and people come alive without robbing the reader of the chance to engage their own imagination. In addition to a compelling story line (and I'm not going to spoil it by giving away any more details), DEAD ON has some fine writing with many lyrical passages and a vocabulary that is interesting without being intrusive. I'd love to see more from this talented writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead on is Right On!, September 29, 2011
This review is from: Dead On (Kindle Edition)
Dead On is a marvelous work of fiction with a surprising, kick in the seat of the pants ending. Kelly's writing reminds me of James Patterson with a dash of Stephen King (clever use of language) and a dollop of spicy. Pick up this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put this down, March 9, 2013
This review is from: Dead On (Kindle Edition)
The evening I started this book I had to force myself to stop reading to sleep. It was that exciting and suspenseful. The premise of a murderer and his victim coming back through time made it quite interesting and I liked the explanation of past life regression hypnosis. I have always considered the whole process very much creative fiction but the explanation here made it seem possible. Ann's a smart medical examiner who is on the track of a serial killer and trying to put her own life back together after her painful divorce. The killer is taunting Ann with messages, revealing pieces of information about the killings that were not made public. With each note he becomes more and more threatening, stating that Ann is the one he is after. The killer just seems to always be one step ahead of Ann. As the book progresses there are twists and turns and the reader suspects that the killer is someone Ann already knows. The final revelation made this one of the best "Who done it?" that I have ever read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterful suspense wound through time, December 4, 2007
This review is from: Dead On (Paperback)
Ms. Jameson's Dead On is a seamless, masterful suspense wound through time. Exploding far beyond today's typical crime scene capers, the power of the book resides in the struggles represented by the romantic and realistic notions of time, the persistent human battles with fear, need and love and an elegant writing style. You'll dream along with Ann (the lead character), feel her trepidation at getting too close to a murderous fire and wonder about the bounds of possibility of everyday life and its seemingly random occurrences. Step away from your comfort zone and walk into Dead On with Ms. Jameson. It will shake your notion of suspense.
--Mike Reynolds, Author of Surviving Bill

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, May 12, 2014
This review is from: Dead On (Kindle Edition)
Pretty quick read. Made me turn page after page. Definitely would suggest for guys as well as the ladies. Enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It, March 11, 2013
This review is from: Dead On (Kindle Edition)
This book keep me on my toes.....I loved the use of words,the back and fourth of the year's,,the sex .and of course the character's! Great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich with suspense and longing, terror and fear, February 7, 2013
Linda G (Bucks County, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead On (Kindle Edition)
Reading Dead On is like going to a really cool restaurant. You won't want to go just once. The first time I read Dead On, I mainly enjoyed the ambience: the author created a world rich with suspense and longing, combined with terror and fear. So I just sat back and enjoyed the setting, the way the author turns a phrase, and got to know the characters.

The second time I was more absorbed by the story itself and ongoing thread about past-life regression. What a plot! It reminded me of a dark, murderous version of Razor's Edge, in that the characters keep coming back through generations to lead different lives. But in Razor's Edge, the character was trying to transcend his past lives. In Dead On, the character is playing out a generations-long cat-and-mouse game, with murder the never-ending ambition.

I enjoy reading ready-made formula books once in a while but for the most part, I like books that have an edge, offer something different, that show imagination and flair. I've read a few of this author's books and each time was wowed by their edginess and stubborn refusal to conform to a single, predetermined genre. And the diversity of genres! Zombie comedy, romance, murder mystery...! Jameson isn't on the NY Times best-seller list yet probably because she isn't a one-size fits all author. Even her historical romance, To Tame a Rogue (so far her only novel to fit into a single, traditional genre), offers the reader everything you can hope for in that genre...with a little of Jameson's quirkiness thrown in. But back to Dead On. Read it. At least once.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, November 16, 2014
This review is from: Dead On (Kindle Edition)
From page one I was hooked! My house is dirty and I don't care. So exciting! I enjoyed every twist and turn!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Chaos, March 14, 2013
This review is from: Dead On (Kindle Edition)
Have you ever thought of you nay have been in a passed life? If so, this book was written for you. Even if you don't believe, this book will intrigue you. Follow a murderer as he passes from one /life to another. The book was difficult to follow at times, and I found myself skipping section because I just didn't care. Would I read it again? Maybe in my next life.

Dead On
Dead On by Kelly Jameson (Paperback - June 7, 2007)
Used & New from: $0.01