5.0 out of 5 stars Takes you back to Motown in the 60's.
Published on September 15, 2002 by Go Bulldogs

1.0 out of 5 stars poorly directed
Good story line, but the ending was highly predictable. Should have been classified as a pseudo-documentary. I did not like this movie.
Published 19 months ago by T. Stanbury

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes you back to Motown in the 60's., September 15, 2002
Go Bulldogs (Fresno State University, CA United States) - See all my reviews
An unbelievable collection of songs from the greatest soul artists of our generation. The two Burt Bacharach songs, "The Look of Love" and "Walk on By," performed by Issac Hayes, are great cover songs that were included, but the one song excluded from this soundtrack that was in the movie is the song, "Twenty-five miles" by Edwin Starr. That song was played when Anthony and Kirby drive away in their get-away car after Kirby roughs up a guy and loses his prosthetic leg. That's my favorite song in the movie that was somehow left out. Its alright though, there are plenty of treats here to soothe your soul. The Sly and Family Stone, The O'Jays, James Brown, and Barry White what else could you ask for. What truely makes this soundtrack beautiful however, are all the slower songs: "Do Right Woman, Do Right Man" by Aretha Franklin, "Tired of Being Alone" by Al Green and "Miss You" by Melvin and The Blue Notes. I highly recommend this soundtrack to music lovers everywhere and I give this soundtrack my highest rating, 10 stars. I also recommend Volume II, its not as great as Volume I but it comes pretty close.

5.0 out of 5 stars An great soundtrack that transcends retro nostalgia, December 1, 1999
This disc evokes a sense of place, time, mood and drama as any good soundtrack should...but most don't. While containing only one piece scored specifically for the movie (Danny Elfman's eerie, ominous title theme), the chosen tracks perfectly serve the film by going beyond the obvious retro standards to those true timeless gems that sound great and project the perfect the atmosphere for this passionate, tragic story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old school... and great!, January 18, 2004
By A Customer
You want great 70's music??? This is the soudntrack for you. It will take you back in time wihtout skipping a beat. One of the best soundtracks of oldies I have heard yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great compilation of R & B Classics!, April 12, 2003
Forget the [weak] Elfman theme tagged on at the end or the serviceable remake of "Where is the Love" by Jesse & Trina.
The soundtrack to "Dead Presidents" makes for a wonderful time trip to the early to middle '70's, a time of political, as well as musical, transition.
Curtis? Ike? James? Aretha? Barry? One can't go wrong in the company of these giants.

5.0 out of 5 stars I cant believe i waited 18 years to buy this!, June 14, 2013
I had been wanting to get this soundtrack ever since i heard the Isaac Hayes version of, Walk On By, but i hesitated for some reason. Then one day a friend of mine asked me if i had the Dead Presidents soundtrack in my collection. He wanted to barrow it. I told him i didnt have it but i could get it. I found it on amazon at a bargain price. I am so glad i did because Isaac Hayes not only does a killer version of , Walk on by ( originally sung by Dion Warwick and written by Burt Bacharach ) he also does a killer cover of, The Look of Love. Theres also the song , If You Want Me To Stay, by Sly and the Family Stone , a song i was looking for but never knew the name of it. Nothing prepared me for how good this soundtrack was and im sorry i waited so long to get it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Black Power!, November 8, 2013
Steven Haarala (Mandeville, LA USA) - See all my reviews
If you want to immerse yourself in the Viet Nam era, and at the same time the Black Power era, this CD is your ticket to go there. I discovered this soundtrack recently when I was watching "Dead Presidents" and heard "Walk On By" and "The Look Of Love" performed by Isaac Hayes. Those two dynamic covers made me want this collection. And it was worth it. "The Payback" by James Brown is one of the funkiest funk tracks I have ever heard. Barry White's dramatic "Never Gonna Give You Up" was one of the first big disco hits. Curtis Mayfield tells it like it is on "If There's Hell Below". We get the female point of view from Aretha ("Do Right Woman, Do Right Man"), and the male side of things from Al Green ("Tired Of Being Alone"). And "Love Train" by The O'Jays describes the wish so many had at that time that love could lead us all to live in peace and harmony. Let's hope that those wishes, the soldiers' sacrifices, and the activism of the era have not been in vain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Righteous, November 25, 2012
One of the best old school music sound tracks of my time. Has a great mix of great songs by some of the best to do it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great smooth album, August 23, 2012
This is one of my favorite cd's. All the songs are good, but I would have liked to see something else replace "where is the love". It just does not seem to fit along side the other classics on here. This is also a great movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't say enough about it, January 19, 2012
Love this soundtrack. If you're looking for a good conglomeration of 60's and 70's r and b (soul) music, this soundtrack will provide it. It never gets old and has a lot of heavy hitters on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music delivered from this soundtrack, July 26, 2011
I pop it in as soon as I received it, I loved it. All the old school songs I grew up to listen to in my mothers home was as clear on this Cd as I remember listening to the records on her record player. All of the great classics was on this sound track. Love it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›