Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Red Dead Redemption: Game of the Year Edition - Xbox 360
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Video Game|Change

on December 7, 2014
This is my favorite game! The world is huge and your character can travel anywhere and explore at leisure. The game mechanics are great. One of the main ways to get around is by horseback, and the feel of riding a horse is spot-on. Most of the controls are intuitive and/or easy to learn. You can follow the scripted story, play mini-games to fulfill certain objectives, or just ride around and enjoy the scenery. The story isn't super-special and the characters are somewhat stereotyped, but that is typical of most of the games out there right now, so I won't quibble about that.

I love how this game gives you the time to explore and do things without having to follow the storyline. Half the time I just ride around looking at the top-notch, gorgeous graphics of the world around me, or do some hunting. There is quite a bit of pelt and flora collecting, which is actually kind of fun. The mini-games are things like poker, blackjack and horseshoes, all fun!

I haven't even gotten to the Undead part of the game because I don't want it to end. This is the only game I have felt this way about. I think about it a lot and can't wait to play. If you like westerns, horses, shooting things and card games, you will love this game. It makes me wish that Rockstar would come out with some kind of ranching sim game or something, I would definitely buy that!

I can't recommend this game enough. My all time favorite!
on June 9, 2016
if you are wondering if it's not fun because "it's a western" you got it all wrong, red dead redemption is just flat out brilliant regardless of genre.

easily one of the greatest video games of all time - this is true of both red dead redemption and undead nightmare (you get both in this game of the year edition).

+so many amazing characters that you will remember for the rest of your life
+amazing attention to detail in everything even down to thje very slight eye movements and facial animations that reflect the characters mood while they talk
+amazing story
+amazing immersive open world
+amazing gameplay / gunplay
+horses are actually amazing and fun. yes horses! you will stop just to look at the horses because they are so beautiful and amazing
+even the side quests are as memorable and are almost as fun and amazing as the main questline
+amazing plot twists
+right from the start of the game you will realize this game oozes quality unrivalled in pretty much any other video game.
+john marston is the BEST protagonist of any video game ever.

you will get a ton of gameplay out of this game. probably 200-275 hours on your first playthrough and around 75-100 the 2nd, 3rd and 4th playthrough.

you will want to play this game over and over and it will spoil you because it is so unbelievably good. other games you play after playing this will bore you.

i'm one of those gamers who "has been gaming since pong" and i have played thousands of games. red dead redemption and undead nightmare are both easily 2 of the greatest games of all time.
on February 10, 2016
I bought a used Xbox 360 and this was the first game I thought of even though I already had the GOTY edition on the PS3 and had 100% for the main game and Undead Nightmare DLC. I had a fun time replaying it again to 100% on the main game and am working my way through Undead Nightmare on the 360.

If you like open world games, give this one a try.
on May 10, 2016
What a game. I've purchased the game twice, first back in 2012 or so. I played it for many hours over several months. The story itself is longer than you expect. Great characterization. Good gameplay mechanics, even for someone like me (an original Super Mario gamer who hasn't necessarily stayed on top of my thumbwork over the years), very easy to intuit and get the hang of the controls. The game was so awesome that when I ran across it on Amazon 4 years later, I impulsively bought it again. And I haven't been anything but supremely satisfied by the replay value of the game. I remember most of the storyline, so there weren't any surprises this time around. And still, the immersion into the wild west is so complete, the music and sound effects and unreal vistas, heck, the hypnotic sound of your horse's hoofs clopping in the dirt, it's all so much that you'll find yourself daydreaming about your second home in the Western Border Territories.
on October 8, 2013
Rockstar I can't say has even been hit or miss for me. Max Payne 3 deserves to never have been made, and I say that after playing it for like 8 hours. It's horrid.
GTA: here comes the unhelpfuls flying in, but GTA really isn't that great. Vice City was the only one I really liked. GTA V is pretty good, and by that I mean it's pretty for an open-world game but it's plot/characters are blah.
But Red Dead stands out from Rockstar's other offerings. Sure it has the same terrible controls like every Rockstar game; Rockstar must not even realize how terrible the controls really are because they keep putting them in every game and the sales bandaid over the wound that is Rockstar's controls. I'll admit too that I particularly love Red Dead because it's Western. I can get excited about that. I really can't get too excited about GTA because I live in the real world that GTA's world parodies.
on December 8, 2014
I got this game hoping it'd live up to all the hype, but alas, it wasn't so. For me, I have to be able to connect to the main character (after all, you're playing him/her for the majority of the game) but it was too difficult. No matter how nice of a character I played, like helping the nuns and getting back stolen wagons, John was always saying how he was a terrible person and blah blah blah. I also like games that tug more at my emotions, and only the event near the end really made me feel, well, anything throughout the entire game. I got bored halfway through, and only trudged on just to see how it'd end and haven't even touched Undead Nightmare that came with it.
on August 19, 2015
I’m a day late and a few dollars short getting to the Red Dead Redemption party. I bought the Game Of The Year edition some time ago. The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 action-adventure game debuted on May 18, 2010. The game proved to become one of Rockstar Studio’s masterpieces. I’ve been a fan of Rockstar’s storytelling since Grand Theft Auto III released back in 2003. Their particular brand of storytelling shines through in Red Dead Redemption.

Red Dead Redemption is based inside Rockstar’s version of our universe (which is not the same as the Grand Theft Auto universes) in 1911. The Wild West is dead and dying as American civilization reigns in outlaws and charlatans. John Marston, a reformed outlaw, is caught in the middle of progress’ warpath. As Marston, you step off a train at the station in fictitious Armadillo (based on Amarillo). There you head to Fort Mercer with a local guide where you are shot in the gut and left for dead. Marston awakens in a ranch hand’s hut. It’s revealed through the ranch owner, Bonnie MacFarlane, scooped you up, put you in a wagon, and took you to a doctor in Armadillo. Bonnie politely interrogates Marston, revealing that he was hunting wanted outlaw and gang leader, Bill Williamson. She then asks Marston to work off the fifteen-dollar medical bill and he obliges. After the bill is paid, Bonnie recommends heading to the U.S. Marshall’s office in Armadillo concerning any aid in assaulting Fort Mercer in search of Bill Williamson. I’m going to stop with the plot here because I hate spoilers as much as the next person.

Where gameplay is concerned, Red Dead Redemption functions like any other open-world game that you would expect from Rockstar. The major difference here is that many towns, settlements, and cities are in-game days apart. It gives a more realistic experience, but after two hours real world time it becomes a pain in the ass. Over time, Rockstar has learned a few things about what fans want. In Grand Theft Auto IV, developers introduced a functioning taxi system that allowed gamers to travel to any selected area within reason. That idea transferred over to Red Dead Redemption in the form of stagecoaches. They do not allow you to travel to any point on the game map, but they cut ten-minute journeys into 3-second hops between towns. Red Dead Redemption employs a slow-motion gunslinging ability called the Dead-Eye. This allows the player to successfully fend off an insane slew of enemies ranging from the garden-variety coyote, the coyote’s cousin – the wolf, to Mexican rebels and fugitive American outlaws. Within a few hours of playing, you will pick up on the importance of the shotgun to stagecoach drivers and their passengers “riding shotgun.” The game being set in early 1900s America; there is a wide array of weaponry available. There are at least three or four variants in each type of gun (pistol/revolver, shotgun, repeater rifle, sniper rifle, thrown, explosive, and lasso/whip). Carriages can become difficult to maneuver because they have a different default button scheme than what the average gamer has been accustomed to with other vehicles in videogames.

The setting in Red Dead Redemption is mostly based on the Four Corners area of the American Southwest. The graphics are gorgeous. Leaves in the trees and wild fields move in the breeze. In two years, Rockstar considerably updated their graphics. That’s a comparison between Red Dead Redemption (2010) and Grand Theft Auto IV (2008). It’s easy to forget your goal and simply ride off into the sunset on a wild mustang you just broke in (entirely possible, by the way). Erik Brudvig at IGN (2010) said, “The setting of Red Dead Redemption, leaving out the interactive elements, is an achievement in itself.”

When I purchase videogames, I ask myself why should I purchase them. In regards to Red Dead Redemption in particular, this game has a huge factor to figure. If you love Western genre entertainment then you will love this game. If you hate Western flicks then this game is going to lose about sixty percent appeal. Western movie fans will appreciate the subtle nods to popular movies like The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, Fistful of Dollars, For A Few Dollars More, Tombstone, and True Grit. If you happen to enjoy the open-endedness of open-world games then you will most likely enjoy Red Dead Redemption. Maybe you prefer the freedom to embrace good or evil. If you have ever wanted to act out your favorite Western – this is your chance! So why should you purchase Red Dead Redemption? Well for one, this award-winning game currently holds a 95 and a 9/10 on Metacritic. IGN gives it a 9.7. It currently holds 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon. The Official Xbox Magazine (2010) said, “Red Dead Redemption is a truly epic resuscitation of the Western theme in games. It's also easily the best gunslinging game we've ever played.” Critics and fellow gamers aren’t wrong about the game. It’s a masterpiece – complete with a compelling story that is deserving of your time and money.
on December 8, 2011
This particular iteration of Red Dead Redemption is the best value because it includes the add-ons/DLC as well.

Red Dead Redemption is a shooter that blends in elements typically featured in other genres and/or overlooked by shooters. If you're into grinding out achievements, stop reading reviews and buy this game - you'll love it. If you're not into grinding, that's cool too because there's plenty of story to keep you fully engaged without having to farm kills. There's a ton of mini-games within the game (including Texas Hold'em and BlackJack) that are pretty fun and the characters are surprisingly well developed. And as is the case with most games these days, you get to choose whether you play a good guy or a bad guy, and your choices impact the way the game plays.

Overall I give this game a 9/10.
on September 5, 2013
I'm about 3 years behind on this game but I am glad I doubled back and picked it up. After growing tired of FPS games (COD, Battlefield, etc.) I decided to take a break and pick up some different games, one of which was Red Dead Redemption. For whatever reason I never picked this up when it came out even though I was a fan of GTA and Max Payne from Rockstar.

What a great game! I didn't keep track of my play time but between the story and multiplayer I easily got my money's worth from this purchase. It was tons of fun and had a lot of replay value. Even though it's an old game it still looks good and plays good. For the price this GOY edition is now I defy anyone to show me a better game for Xbox/PS3 that only costs $20-25.

If by chance you missed this when it first came out and are looking for something new to play to break the monotony of all the cookie cutter FPS games out now give Red Dead Redemption a try.
on July 18, 2013
I love westerns. OMG this game is amazing.

GOTY adds the Nightmare and some other stuff. I never play on-line so can't comment on those extras. I like stories in a game and I like free roam. This really is an amazing game and I hope more western themed games like this follow.

I finished this last year on PS3. Bought it here and finished on the 360. Then finished the Nightmare. I expect that in another year I will break it out and play it again. It is that much fun. Be warned: You will waste alot of your life on this game :)