Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

Format: Video Game|Change

on October 23, 2011
If you dont have the original release or the undead pack, you have to be crazy not to get the GOTY Edition. I was never a big fan of wild west movies or games, this game changed that. The story is superb, gameplay is great & responsive, multiplayer its lots of fun with infinite replay value. You will not regret buying this game, its worth paying the asking price.
88 comments| 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 27, 2011
I saw people were giving game a bad rating for the wrong reasons, now I feel like I have to try help offset the error. I left a comment under the first bad review to explain myself.

THE GAME ITSELF:
This game a great game. I've enjoyed the bit of time I've played. If you want to get a good feeling of what people think of this game, click on over to the regular Red Dead Redemption game where over 400 [of 488 currently] have given this game 4 & 5 stars.

Red Dead Redemption

THE GAME OF THE YEAR EDITION:

You probably already know this product already comes with the regular RED DEAD REDEMPTION and the add-on packs Undead Nightmare, Legends and Killers, Liars and Cheats Pack, Hunting and Trading Outfits Pack, Outlaws To The End Co-Op Mission Pack, Solomon's Folly, and Myths and Mavericks. There shouldn't be anything new for anyone who already bought the original game, so it's probably not worth buying the game all over again. Their combining them to save us some spare change, which I'm always down for.

ADVISE
If you buy this game at full retail ($49 on release day) you will probably on save $10 give or take by buying this over regular RED DEAD and UNDEAD NIGHTMARE. Please be aware prices always fluctuate, If your a little patient and wait a week or so you can probably buy this game for at least $39. If your reading this post a year from now I hope this game still isn't $49 haha.
99 comments| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2014
I bought this PS 3 version based on the excellent reviews. First I want to thank you all for giving the pluses and minuses. Now first let me say that although I have played PC games since Adventure (those that know will tell you it was first or certainly one of very few that started PC gaming). That said I'm not a young player, probably one of the oldest. I went into this game because I love Westerns, especially the old Spaghetti Westerns. I wasn't disappointed. The fantastic graphics, sound effects, and music make this worth the money alone if you just want to see and hear the old West. I have only played this for a couple days so far (so many hours the first day I paid for it in my joints) and here are my pros and cons so far.

Pros:

Great value for the money

Exceptionally gorgeous scenery, graphics of people, animals, and environment are amazingly realistic

Realism and variety of all weather conditions is phenomenal

Sound effects for weather, animals, and other environmental sounds make you feel you're there

Numerous voices in dialogue, monologues, and background chatter

Incredible depth of possible exploration and open game play

Most controls you will use to interact aren't difficult to master (walking, riding, shooting, etc.)

You can play this the way you want to play it and survive most the time (one example is you get by okay by just picking plants, hunting, and skinning and then selling what you hunt and gather)

Great fun majority of the time

Cons:

Some of the quests are difficult, at least for people with any physical restrictions (Not everyone has played with gaming controllers since they were three with proficiency), and sometimes it has grated my nerves completing them

You must complete certain quests or it will impact your overall honor, abilities, reputation, monetary gain, and store prices

It is difficult to avoid fights and animal attacks (most won't want to but some may like to play the game without that being in it)

Blood spatter on most of the animal skinning is overdone (Splatters all over the screen)

Dialogue isn't for youngsters and annoyingly repetitious sometimes (Play Blackjack at Thieves Landing and you will see what I mean)

GRIZZLIES DON"T RUN IN PACKS (Can't tell you the times I got hit by 3 plus at the same time.)!!!!!!

Summary:

Overall I absolutely love it, but once in awhile I hate it. That won't stop me from playing but there are times I wish I could switch off certain aspects of the critical quests that force me to chew gum, rotate a hula hoop on my hips, balance a plate on a stick on my nose, swallow a sword, and recite the Gettysburg Address at the same time. In other words unless you are a ambidextrous game controller God you're in a world of hurt some of the time.

CA Luster
on January 11, 2012
Storyline: You're John Marston, bandit-turned bounty hunter-turned family man. Your wife and son have been kidnapped by government agents who are ransoming them for the capture of the leaders of your former gang. In Undead Nightmare, you're back at the ranch when the Zombie Apocalypse happens. Fight off hordes of the walking dead to find a cure for your wife and son.

Game play: Travel the waning days of the Wild West, gun slinging to your heart's content. Yes, the storyline is relatively short. About 20 hours I'm told. But those who are complaining about that aren't doing the side missions which is a large part of the fun. I'll spend a week just doing side missions (which I usually hate) before I realize that there's a story to progress. Undead Nightmare is a little more straightforward, without the side quests to distract. It's also a shorter story.

Sound: Amazing, every gun sounds a little different, the gallop of your horse is mesmerizing as it changes when you cross a bridge or hid a cobblestone street. Listen to the rain on the roof as a thunderstorm rolls through the area. Yes, music. I'm the type who always turns the in-game music way down or completely off. Not here. It's subtle enough to add atmosphere without getting noticed.

Graphics: This game is beautiful. It feels very open, unlike the GTA series. The sunrises and sunsets are very well done. There are subtle differences that you don't notice at first. NPCs, chop wood, use the bathroom, play fetch with dogs. There are glitches in the game, most are graphic in nature. I've experienced horses that seem to hover about 8 inches off the ground, trains that vanish, leaving the crates hovering where they should be. I've literally ridden into the countryside, the horse I was on didn't follow the hill, and I sank into the earth. I've played poker with people who didn't have faces. None of these were lasting effects and everything was put right by either leaving the area and coming back (the train) or in the more extreme case, resetting my save file (riding into the ground). GOTY edition has all the online downloads, like the golden guns and warhorse. I know people don't like the guns code and turn it back off (in the options menu) but I like it. I use the golden guns with the assassin outfit and warhorse to capture bounties.

Replay value: I come back to this game every few weeks. There is just so much to do. Capture bounties, hunt, gather herbs, play horseshoes, even cheat at poker, or play blackjack, Liar's Dice is also a lot of fun. For the adventurous, there's horse breaking, for the bloodthirsty, there are gang hideouts to clear. If you feel like being a malcontent, rob a bank. About the only Wild West cliché not included is train/stagecoach robbing, which is a shame.

Overall: The well-written storyline, and side games make this an excellent game that will remain in my collection for the duration of my PS3. Yes, you will occasionally find the... let's say 'donkey' online who acts like a buffoon for no good reason. But that's any game. I'd recommend it to anybody who loves action/adventure. It's not exactly 'GTA, western edition' but it's close. If you're a fan of either, you will enjoy this.
on July 31, 2014
This game will keep you on end with it's engrossing story for hours and multiplayer will take even more time away from your day as take over gang hideouts, roam the land with your friends and/or posse that you can make. You can also play competitive gamemodes as well, which is a blast! This game is amazing even by today's standards. The graphics, story, multiplayer, and add-on content was amazing! This game deserves GOTY,10/10!

STORYLINE: (Original Red Dead) John Marston was a former gang member who reappraised his life and resolved to put his past behind him to settle down with his young famiy. As Marston changed, so did the landscape. The Federal Government set it's sights on bringing their law to the whole country by any means necessary. When ruthless government agents kidnaps Marston's wife and chld, and threatens to kill them unless he brings his former gang to justice, John is forced to hut down the very men he used to run with to save his family...

STORYLINE #2 (Red Dead Undead Nightmare)The world of Red Dead has been swept by an apocalyptic plague. The dead are rising and wondering the Earth in search of fresh life to infect as great storms sweep across the the land under a veil of darkness. Plants rot where they sit and hordes of undead roam the land. There are stories that something else is out there (Mythical Beasts). Marston's wife and child were infected and he must find a cure or die trying...
on June 5, 2016
What can be said, this may be the best game ever made for the PS3. I had this when new, then traded it a couple of years ago and have been waiting for the next one but ended up buying this one again because who knows when the new one will be out
on May 16, 2016
This review is strictly based on console versions. Game itself is 10/10, must have, or at least must play experience. The game influenced a lot of future titles and developers and is definitely a legend among video games.

I already owned and completed most of this game for the Xbox 360. Decided to pick it up again for nostalgic reasons and got the PS3 version since I recently purchased a refurb PS3 for cheap and it's the one that's currently hooked up (360 is on a well deserved hiatus). I can honestly say the PS3 version hasn't aged well. Graphically the game is amazing for its time. The deserts look desolate, the wildlife is on part with GTA 5, the towns are alive and the game mechanics are nice and responsive. Horse riding is amazing, and so is the gunplay.

PS3 version suffers from drastic frame drops (360 version does also, but not as bad). I don't have an FPS counter available, but it certainly feels like the frames drop about 25 to 35% when trying to gallop through towns. There's almost zero anti-aliasing, and the textures are a little more washed than the 360 version.

I certainly prefer the aiming with the PS3 controller vs the 360 since the PS3 controller has little resistance in the sticks and makes for aiming a bit smoother.

Now both the PS3 and 360 were considered "powerhouses" in their own respect during their run, but I would give an extra star for the 360 version here.

In the end, I'll say what everyone has been hopelessly praying for: remake. We all wish Rockstar would make a remake on current consoles or the least, a PC version. They did for it every other GTA game, LA Noir, and Max Payne. It's about time to either make a new Red Dead or re-release Redemption.
on December 4, 2012
It's a lot like Oblivion, but set in the old west. The sheer amount of things there are to do is staggering. The key is to play the way YOU want to, and enjoy. Many people choose to rush through the story, then complain how lame the game is. These are the same people who eat a slice of cake in 2 bites. This is one of those games where, the more you savor all it has to offer, the more enjoyment there is to be had!
on November 11, 2011
Pros

This game is another great entry for Rockstar. They make memorable characters, a thriving virtual world, and still got a bit of humor going for them (mostly from side conversations). The arsenal wheel is fast and intuitive compared to Grand Theft Auto's cycling. I can't get over how wonderful the weather system is in this game. Once again, the side additions are just as if not more interesting than the core game.

The main storyline doesn't have too many crazy plot twist, but it is definitely polished much like a Hollywood movie. Missions vary enough to not be boring.

The zombie expansion is a welcome addition. Getting rid of the money system is genius!

Cons

The main character is deathly afraid of any water and instantly drowns.
Trodding through the wilderness without music, though realistic, can be boring.
In the zombie expansion: Recapturing cities can be annoying and tedious.
on March 27, 2014
Love that both the regular game and zombie version is all included. Has a poker player slicky willy suit add on too. I think the controls on it was better on the xbox but either way I LOVE this game. In some ways the original was better but this ones superior. The original one felt like a Clint Eastwood Man with No Name movie and you got to play it. They even used the same music composer from those movies too. This one you can hunt animals, plants and people. Sell whatever you picked or hunted found. Buy housing or rent it out. Go do bounty hunter missions on the side, play games like Texas Hold Em and many other mini games. Even that knife game in the movie Aliens where you try not to stick yourself with a knife, and do a few side missions for other locals. GREAT game! I saw one guys review on how he had to chase chickens or something. Ummmm you have to help out this family who saved your ass from a bounty hunt gone wrong. From there you can stay and finish out that part of the games story line or go off and explore other towns and do s*** there too. You have to play it longer than one mission to get some enjoyment out of it. DUH!