Dead Rising 3
Price:$25.94+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 22, 2013
I'm a verified buyer of the game and both a PS 4 and XBOX One owner so hopefully I can help clear up these reviews a bit. There are a lot of fanboys out here just looking to bash an opposing console.

First a generic note to those who just adopted a new next gen console. Calibrate your televisions people! It can make a world of difference! My reviews are based from viewing on a 60" LG Plasma while sitting 9' away.

As a launch title on a brand new system I wasn't expecting the graphics to blow my mind. That being said I will say that they were well above my expectations. They were crisp and clear and the colors were dead on. I noticed only a few frame rate issues and only when the screen was loaded with heavy action. They were few and far between and didn't take away from the game at all.

There are many reviews out there complaining about the long treks through the game world to accomplish missions. While at the same time commenting on the abundance of vehicles available and due to that there is no fun in creating your own. I shook my head reading these after I'd been playing the game. Let me explain. The game is about fighting hordes of zombies in an open world setting, the excitement is actually in just getting from one place to the other! The vehicle crafting is a blast! Why drive a minivan across town when you can create and ride a motorcycle steamroller hybrid?!

Weapon crafting on the fly is just awesome, there are well over a hundred zombie slaughtering combo weapons just waiting for you to build. The city is huge, there are zombies everywhere and the game gives you missions to ensure you get into the thick of them often! There's a lot to do, some missions may seem pointless until you remember the whole point of them is to keep you moving through the herds. You will read some complaints about aiming problems. The real problem is that these players don't have their modded auto aim controllers anymore to rely on. That's right, some skill is required!

This game can be played as serious or as silly as you desire. I love that aspect. You can play it as a more serious survival horror or throw on a Lego head mask and mini skirt and go have yourself a slaughter fest!

Smartglass: it's a cool addition, it worked flawlessly for me using an Ipad2 with the smartglass app. I'd like to see it used more in this fashion. I think it has a future with the Xbox one.

Kinect: I hated kinect on the 360 but on the One it's amazingly accurate. It really struck me when I sneezed while playing and the horde heard it and it screwed my plans up! I never even thought of that bit of realisim kinect could bring. It adds an entire new level of immersion. I can't wait to try it on a stealth or a serious horror game.

So in a nutshell, this is a killer launch game. If this is what the beginning looks like, I really can't wait to see what happens a few years down the line.
1818 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon December 25, 2013
First off, let's acknowledge that this is a Capcom game about surviving a zombie outbreak. This is not Mass Effect or even Dead Space, and if you came here in search of transcendent meaning or to be touched to your very soul, you and Commander Shepard will be very disappointed.

What Dead Rising 3 does offer is a fun gonzo take on smashing zombies with a huge assortment of weapons and vehicles, many of which you can construct yourself after you find either semi-random or plot triggered blueprints. The weapon and vehicle construction is fun stuff, though the game's decay mechanic means that you can never enjoy any weapon for too long, by design.

As I alluded to above, the dialogue and plot would embarrass the writers of a children's cartoon and the zombie stomping can get tedious after a while. But my biggest complaints about the game are (1) the inventory system, and (2) the annoyance of trying to find important items on the ground while being attacked by scores of zombies.

The inventory system annoys the @$%@ out of me. You start with four slots and can upgrade later by a couple. Four would really be fine for weapons (even though they decay and you can quickly run out of weapons, there are almost always a bunch lying around), but that number includes healing supplies and anything you want to craft. So if you see two things you want to craft you must pick both up, possibly dropping other items, then craft them, then hopefully remember to pick up your dropped item. Would a backpack be too much to ask for? Probably. Again, this is a zombie smashing button smasher and it shouldn't have to make apologies for it. (Later in the game, there are "safe zones" where all items you've discovered appear in lockers, making dilemmas over keeping items irrelevant.)

My other complaint is that the game aspires to have interesting side quests and points of interests like the Batman Arkham series, but the objects you are supposed to be collecting or the "scenes" that you are supposed to investigate are not always clear. I've died many times in this game after receiving a helpful alert that a "tragic ending" is nearby that I should investigate. But, even if I can find it, the mechanism for interacting is to pick up an object. This can be difficult when you are being swarmed by an endless horde of zombies. Modest suggestion to Capcom: code it so the events trigger when you run over them.

It would also be nice if you could clear areas of zombies for a little while. There's one scene on a bridge where you get access to a ton of weapons--not unlimited but maybe 20-30 assault rifles and shotguns. I cleared every zombie from that bridge. But within minutes there were practically as many as before. It would be nice to get both the temporary sense of accomplishment of clearing an area and the perfect zombie apocalypse terror of realizing that you'll never be able to keep them down for long. (The game does provide some "safe zones" where you can hide out relatively unmolested.)

There's also no sense, like you get in Dead Space, of having to conserve bullets or save a good weapon for an emergency. Weapons are too plentiful and its too big of a pain to try to manage inventory to worry about saving a primo weapon.

On a technical level, the game is extremely pretty, but not mind-blowing. Load times are indeed incredibly long when the game first loads and then non-existent. What astounds me is how long the game takes to quit. It's a good thirty seconds after you tell it to quit game. What on earth is going on there? The menus are good, the inventory is frustrating, and the leveling system is motivational. Bosses are really not that bad, except that you have to train yourself to run around looking for supplies while fighting them, which seems odd at first. Deus Ex: Human Revolution used the same dynamic and it always seemed odd to me--ah, what a careless villain to leave the objects of his destruction lying about! But whether you love them or hate them, the boss fights are few and far between.

All of that said, this game falls squarely into the mindless fun category and, the category of games that make me ask: if I was fourteen, would I enjoy this game? The answer: heck yes!

If you enjoy whacking zombies, this is your fast paced nightmare zombie game. If you cringe with bad plots and dialogue or like your games to be a bit slower and thoughtful, you probably won't like it.

(I hope you found my review helpful and won't down vote it simply because you either unconditionally love or unconditionally hate the game. I've tried to provide an honest take of the pros and cons of this enjoyable, yet simple game.)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 22, 2013
The Dead Rising 3 you know and love. Don't let the darker graphics fool you, Dead Rising is alive and well on Xbox One. The sillyness is all intact with tons of zombie slaying. Gone is the timer system which has been moved to hard mode called nightmare mode. Weapons can also now be created on the fly and it now has seamless co-op. No more waiting for your friends to get to the door so you can change areas! No loading screens, it is now just one giant sandbox to slay zombies in.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 23, 2013
I have owned all Xbox versions of the games in the Dead Rising series. Overall this was the best one. Don't really see the point in the Day One dlc. Not really missing much if you don't have it. It has the Frank West outfit with Frank's Zombie Slugger and the Chuck Greene outfit with the Paddlesaw. It also has unique skill moves. It might be worth it if you never played previous Dead Rising games. The game has different controls. You can't just turn with one stick and have the camera follow, you need the right stick to change the camera quickly. It will follow eventually if you walk some distance, but you will get attacked before it does.
on November 22, 2013
Tons of zombies to kill and so many weapons to use. I have spent many many hours sitting back creating various combo weapons and finding interesting ways to slaughter more zombies. Game is very mature, lots of blood and language, and has a sense of humor with it too. To me its the grand theft auto of zombie games.
on November 25, 2013
This game brings a ton of epic zombie action. There is so much variety and customization options that you can just get lost in the open world without ever playing the main story. The graphics are not quite as good as Ryse and Forza but they make up for it with the sheer size and scale of the enemies on screen. There are sections of the game where there are thousands of zombies all there for you to creatively destroy. This is by far the best Dead Rising game yet. 5/5
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 22, 2013
Dead Rising 3 is a great launch title that has great graphic, standard Dead Rising game play, and the game physics work very well. The Day One Edition comes with exclusive DLC code, and a there day trial of Xbox Live. It's great fun to find all the different ways that you can kill zombies in this games, and my personal favorite is to mow them all down with a car.
on November 26, 2013
First off let me get this out there: I'm a huge Dead Rising fanboy, DR1 was the game I bought with my 360, I've got all the achievements for the series (DR1 & 2, and Case Zero & West), minus about 2 or 3 on DR2 Off the Record and Dead Rising 3 was the game I ordered with my Xbox One. I did however want to wait a few days before I gave this a review, that way I could give it a slightly more impartial review...mostly.

That being said this is a very solid addition to the series and yes, it did go in a slightly different direction than the previous installments. It is a bit darker, both in color and content, and much more open world, which means vehicles play a major role in this game. But don't be fooled, there is plenty of silly and ridiculous to be had in this game! The creators left it in the players hands as to whether or not to be serious or slapstick.

There are some great improvements to the series: not having to escort every single survivor to a safe house, a combo system for vehicles, the safe houses now have a collection of the weapons you've found/created, your inventory is much easier to navigate and being able to combine weapons without a work bench, on the fly and directly out of your inventory. Another great feature is the Xbox Smartglass integration, you get additional content and side missions (go get it for your smartphone or tablet, its free).

With anything there are going to be some cons, but to be honest I couldn't find anything that wasn't petty, such as the massive amount of items to pick up can sometimes make it nimble to pick up the exact item you want. Or when you're trying to get back into your vehicle you can accidentally pick up an item in the street and drop the weapon you're carrying. But really nothing worth crying about!

I am extremely happy that I made this my launch day choice! And any fan of the series, or anyone looking for a good zombie game will enjoy their time in Los Perdidos!!
on November 23, 2013
I've played about 2 solid hours and I can say that I'm having a blast. First thing I did was mow down as many zombies as possible with an SUV and cause as much destruction as possible...Registered 300+ kills before the SUV started catching fire, dove out of the vehicle and watched as the explosion took another 20 zombies with it...The good thing about this? The frame rate never dropped. Theirs also a new 'kill meter' - If you kill 10 zombies in quick succession it will give you the ability for a special takedown with whatever weapon you have equipped by pressing Y+B, this will initiate a slow motion while focusing on the brutal kill -- downright fun and looks awesome.

Kinect options are available for this game and can be turned off if you desire -- they include: Grapple controls, Zombie Lure, UI Navigation, Survivor Commands, Taunts, and Drop Current Item.

No regrets here.
on December 6, 2013
Amazing game.
This game is monstrous.
Once you get a look at how many zombies there are on screen, your jaw will literally drop.
This is what next-gen is all about- producing experiences not possible on the previous generation.
So far, this, Forza 5, and Ryse are the only next-gen games that have made me a believer in next-generation gaming.

The best thing about this game is the combos- you can combine literally anything together to make an awesome product. Once you try it, you'll be in awe.

I'll update this game as I finish the game at a friend's house. Not even close to finishing it but thought I'd get my first impression thoughts out there.