5.0 out of 5 stars Run to get this one!
If you want a book that will keep you turning pages for hours on end, one that has surprises around every corner, and one that will undoubtedly have you on the edge of your seat, then Dead Run would be perfect for you! This is my first [time] at reading a book like this, a "chilling thriller" as advertised on the book spine, and I know for sure it won't be my last...
Published on May 12, 2003 by Dianna Setterfield

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed.
I had some real problems with this book.
1. No chemistry between the main characters. I'm not even sure what attracted them to each other.
Published on July 30, 2002 by mahikahn

5.0 out of 5 stars Run to get this one!, May 12, 2003
If you want a book that will keep you turning pages for hours on end, one that has surprises around every corner, and one that will undoubtedly have you on the edge of your seat, then Dead Run would be perfect for you! This is my first [time] at reading a book like this, a "chilling thriller" as advertised on the book spine, and I know for sure it won't be my last!
Dead Run tells the story of Liz Ames, a family counselor from St. Louis, who receives a phone call from the Key West Police Department -- her sister, Rachel, pastor of the Paradise Christian Church there, is missing. Soon after, Liz moves to Key West and sets up her practice, determined to find out what really happened to Rachel. But the police aren't very helpful, leaving Liz to do the sleuthing all by herself. And then more people go missing -- even some are found dead. And what happens after is bar none the best twisty-turny story I've ever read.
I believe "chilling thriller" is an understatement. Erica Spindler did not leave one thread untied, and I was completely mesmerized by the storyline. I caught myself many times smiling because I couldn't believe my luck at finding such a good book to read! I am definitely reading more books by Erica -- she's got a new fan in me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spindler writes another Masterpiece, February 25, 2005
Nicki in the Burg (Harrisburg , Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
I thoroughly enjoyed Dead Run. I thought the chemistry between the characters was great! Each character brought their own piece to solving the mystery, and I didn't solve it until about the last 5 chapters of the book, which only made the end more appealing, finding out the whodoneit! Spindler's novel keeps you guessing throughout and keeps you thoroughly entertained. She mixes the right amount of romance, the right amount of mystery, the right amount of suspense and even a dash of comedy to come up with a delightful dish in Dead Run. My opinion is if your a Spindler fan (like I am) READ THIS BOOK, you won't be dissatisfied.

4.0 out of 5 stars Suspenseful thriller, with themes of Good vs Evil, June 11, 2003
Ratmammy "The Ratmammy" (Ratmammy's Town, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
DEAD RUN by Erica Spindler
A woman relocates to Key West in search of her missing sister in DEAD RUN, an action packed thriller by Erica Spindler. Liz Ames is a family counselor living in Missouri, who finds a message on her answering machine from her sister the Pastor Rachel Howard. The message wasn't your ordinary every day message. Rachel sounded like she was in trouble, as if her life depended on getting through to Liz.
The police enter the scene, but they don't seem to be of any help, so Liz packs her bags and heads over to Florida. She wants to see if she can find any clues to where her sister could be. Liz finds tons of them, and she soon knows that her sister met with foul play, but no matter what she says, the police aren't buying it. She also meets up with others that knew the Pastor, but they end up missing too. The more Liz snoops into this mystery, the more dangerous things start to look.
While this is going on, a VP at a local bank is found dead, and a co-worker ends up missing as well. Dead bodies start to crop up every time Liz thinks she's on to something, and the action doesn't stop.
I'm leaving out many details on purpose, so as not to give away the plot, but I want to say that I really enjoyed reading this book. The only problem I had was the two very extremes that the author used to tell the story of good and evil. The Church versus the Devil is such an old used theme, and although the story in itself was very exciting and had me on edge, I didn't appreciate revisiting themes that I had enough of in the past.
Despite my negative comments, I am recommending DEAD RUN by Erica Spindler. It's an action-packed book from start to finish.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great beginning, weird ending, December 7, 2003
"livetoreadreadtolive" (POCAHONTAS, ARKANSAS United States) - See all my reviews
This is a very fast paced story, as are all of Erica Spindler's book that I have read so far. The characters aren't as strong as in her past books, but they are still pretty well devoloped; only occasionally acting out of character. The end of the book is the only part that I didn't like. The true identity of the killer just didn't seem plausible to me, nor did the killer's sidekick. All in all a good book, but the ending was a bit of a let down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Versus Evil, June 6, 2005
This was the first Erica Spindler book that I read and it hooked me on this author! She writes a story that will keep the reader captivated from the beginning until she decides to let you go. Chores will wait, sleep will wait, everything will wait until you know the end of this story!

Liz Ames is a family counselor who moves to Key West to find her sister. Pastor Rachel Howard disappeared after leaving Liz a strange phone message - "I've uncovered something - they're watching..." Shortly after that message was left, Rachel disappeared without a trace. Liz riles the local authorities with her endless questions and investigations. Police Chief, Val Lopez does not think anything happened to her sister and has other more pressing matters on his hands. It seems as if a slew of mysterious deaths and questionable disappearances have plagued this enchanted area. These include a loan officer who falls to his death from a second story window, a missing bank employee who's body washes up on the beach, and a teenage girl being counseled by Liz murdered in what appears to be the work of a infamous "New Testament" serial killer currently residing in prison. Enter into the picture is Rick Wells, ex-Miami cop who now owns a local bar. Romantic sparks fly as Rick helps Liz try to figure out what happened to Rachel.

Strong character development is one of Spindler's trademarks. In DEAD RUN, we not only have Liz and Rick, we are also given a colorful support cast. Val Lopez is authoritative and demonstrative, not wanting to believe anything bad can happen on his watch. Pastor Tim, Rachel's successor is a bit of a bland character who has secrets of his own. Heather Ferguson, a drop dead gorgeous bikini store owner who is just mystifying enough to send up red flags as to her innocence.

The story line is the typical good versus evil, satanic verses holy. At times Spindler flips from mystery/thriller to such heavy romantic overtures, that the reader isn't sure which genre they picked up when they grabbed this book. The reader will go from intense suspense to hot and heavy sex in the matter of a few pages. Other than flip-flopping genres, this is an exciting story that will keep you interested throughout. There isn't a dull moment in the entire book!

5.0 out of 5 stars taut chiller, June 8, 2002
This review is from: Dead Run (Hardcover)
The Key West, Florida Police Department has quite a sterling record for closing out recent cases. Paradise Christian Church Pastor Rachel Howard vanished, but the cops conclude she went over the edge and just ran away. Island National Bank Vice President Larry Bernhardt is found dead, but ruled a suicide by officials. Others are either missing or dead, but law enforcement seems more laid back than usual in the Conch republic.

Rachel's sister Liz Ames comes to town to learn what really happened to her sibling. She runs up against official stonewalling and begins her own inquiries. Only bartender and former Miami cop Rick Wells listens to her. He sees links to a former South Florida case involving the incarcerated New Testament serial killer. As they work closely together, they fall in love and begin believing in second chances, but paradise contains a serpent that will kill both of them if they step any closer to the truth.

Already gaining a strong following for her terse thrillers, Erica Spindler has written her most tense tale to date. DEAD RUN is more a taut chiller than a romantic suspense though love between the lead "investigators" is intertwined cleverly into the prime plot. The who-done-it will draw serial killer fans to the novel as clues are provided, but guessing the culprit remains difficult until Ms. Spindler reveals the identity. Fans of romantic suspense and serial killer dramas will take immense pleasure from this rousing cross genre novel.

Harriet Klausner

4.0 out of 5 stars Finished in one reading, December 30, 2004
Great thriller! This is the second book I have read from this author and I have enjoyed both of them. The book starts of at a killer pace and doesn't let up. I thought for a little bit there that it might get too religious and maybe get a bit preachy but to my relief the book didn't go there and kept the suspense up until the last page. I won't say I was suprised at the ending as I had a good idea where it was heading but it did throw me several curveballs that I did not see or predict. If you are a fan of mystery and suspense I highly recommend this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed., July 30, 2002
mahikahn (Columbus, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Run (Hardcover)
I had some real problems with this book.
2. Everyone kept asking Liz "If your sister is dead, where's the body?" What do they think? That the body of every murder victim shows up on the town square? And that if they don't then they weren't murdered? Plus, they are on what is basically an island, in the middle of the ocean, with plently of access to boats, with unlimited places to dump a body. Duh!
3. The book jumped every few pages to another character and another scene. Finish the scene and THEN move on!
4. Both the main charcters were wishy washy, with no faith in their own judgment. Rick knew he could believe her, then didn't, then did, then didn't, etc. I understand Liz had a breakdown. However she had the strength to sell her home, leave her job and move hundred of miles to Key West to try to find out what happened to her sister. Then once she's there she has so little faith in her convictions. She was constantly allowing other people sway her from what she knew in her heart was true.
The plot was a great idea, just not well-executed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just okay, March 14, 2013
P. Moore (Tampa FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Run (Kindle Edition)
This author has been recommended to me by a friend, and I just don't enjoy her work that much. I find myself wishing the book was over. This title has an excellent premise, and a great surprise, but still dragged a little for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dead Run, December 25, 2012
This review is from: Dead Run (Mass Market Paperback)
This is not her best and I was surprised. I liked it enough to read it through though. If you are an Erica Spindler fan you should give it a try. Could have been the subject material I was not fond of.

Dead Run
Dead Run by Erica Spindler (Mass Market Paperback - November 15, 2011)
$7.99