5.0 out of 5 stars Stellar Return!
Published on February 24, 2011 by Joshua H

1.0 out of 5 stars If you like linear routes, and being punished for the smallest miss-step or miss-key, then this is for you!
Linear, contrived. frustrating interface. So many games today look good, and play bad. The first several save points are an exercise in "no, you didn't follow the exact linear path required, so you're going to die and have to listen to all the cut scenes all over again so you can find the right way the game devs decided you had to complete this." I just gave up...
Published 28 days ago by Stuart Clubb

5.0 out of 5 stars Stellar Return!, February 24, 2011
This review is from: Dead Space 2 (Video Game)
Having enjoyed playing through the first Dead Space, I was looking forward to a good scare with a lot of action. I was not disappointed. Dead Space 2 improves in almost every way over its predecessor. From the beginning of the game, which had me jumping out of my seat, to the heart-pounding end, I was constantly on the edge of my seat. The action flows seamlessly, and it no longer feels like a series of fetch quests like in the original. The upgrades were more intuitive, and the suits just kept looking more awesome. There is one thing to note however. This game has a lot of gore. Way more than the first one. If that doesn't bother you, then fine, but if you are even slightly squeamish you would be better off letting other people play during some scenes. I may have developed a permanent fear of needles thanks to this game :) In summary:
PROS:
More intuitive gameplay flow
Better character and story development than compared to the first
Graphics are top-notch
The sound is perhaps the best I've experienced in a game
CONS:
Still not the most engulfing story in the world
Difficulty is completely brutal (for those of you who like a challenge this could be a PRO)
Online play requires a code (included in the game)
Ramped up levels of gore could be disturbing to some

Overall I think that this was a very well-done game that entertained me and will continue to. Happy playing!

4.0 out of 5 stars Dead Space 2, an actual sequel to Dead Space 1, but like, for real!, August 8, 2011
This review is from: Dead Space 2 (Video Game)
Believe the hype! Dead Space 2 is everything you could want and expect from a sequel. And then there's more! To date, this is the single scariest/goriest game I have ever played on a console. (Silent Hill, you used to be the victor but come on, it's 2011 and sometimes, you just gotta move on.) (I still say the original Dead Space is the scariest game I have ever played though, but since this is part of the same universe, it still counts!) What makes it scary though?

How about: the music, the creepy atmosphere, the darkness, the fact that you have to rely on the light from your flashlight throughout the entire game (forget Doom 3's flashlight, this is the real deal,) the screaming (from Isaac and others,) the hallucinations, the death animations, the monster sounds, the babies crying, Isaac's (now) warped/skewed perspective of reality, the gore, the blood, the setting and the story. In the same vein, as films like "Even Horizon" and "Sunshine," there is a good dose of story-telling and character setup though none of it is too ground-breaking. What I am trying to say is that while the voice-acting is above-average, it isn't spectacular. Isaac's character is believable this time around, which is a huge improvement and a definite plus from the first game since Isaac was pretty much mute (sorta like a certain physicist from a certain game about killing crabs that like to jump on heads...) Also, part of the whole Dead Space charm lies in the different weapons you use. Though you are ultimately using "mining" tools, the developers have gone the extra mile to show us that just about anything can really be made into a weapon. From the Plasma Cutter and Seeker Rifle to the Contact Beam and Javelin Gun (a personal favorite,) don't these all sound just oh-so-wonderful? And remember, this is a survival-horror/action/adventure-type game so, oh my! Bonus tip: hold down RT + B and Isaac immediately force-levitates any object in the game. This means that you can use jagged pieces of glass, sharpened sticks, surgery utensils, backpacks, anything you want to dispense sweet justice on the abominable Necromorphs that plague the Sprawl!

If there is anything to not like about the game, it is the Collector's Edition. Stay far away from it! The regular game is just fine, if not better (as far as the $/fun ratio is concerned!) Also, if you buy the game used, EA goes the let's-treat-this-console-game-like-a-PC-game by forcing you to purchase an online code just so you can play online with our friends! What is this all about? bad job EA! That is so 90s EA and not cool! Also, the game is very "very" punishing so if you are new to the whole survival-horror genre or just about any type of video game-style playing, then I would recommend the Casual mode. It's awesome because Dead Space 2 allows you to replay the game with all your previous boosts, perks, stats and weapons so replay-value is totally boosted to the x10 level. Go ahead and play on easy the first time around just to get the story. I know I did! Also, beating the two hardest difficulty modes also garners unique achievements and I know I love getting those rare achievements so this is a total bonus!

But uh, for those of you who like/need a number-based rating: 4.5/5.

4.0 out of 5 stars In space, everyone can hear you scream!, January 26, 2011
Ben Rowland (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Space 2 (Video Game)
I am a huge fan of the original Dead Space, it being the first game I bought for the Xbox 360 and the one I have gone back to constantly, and my hopes were suitably high for the sequel. The first game was a chilling at atmospheric game that was part Aliens and part Resident Evil, and Dead Space 2 retains the looks and feel while providing some marked improvements that fans of the original will love.

Set three years after the events of the first Dead Space, the main protagonist Isaac is confined to the mental ward of a hospital, suffering from dementia and haunting visions of his dead girlfriend, who comes to him in creepy flashbacks and cut scenes early in the game. The first acts of the game are rather hazy, as Isaac is suddenly freed from the hospital during an invasion of the Necromorphs from the first game, and when he escapes with his life and begins to make his way through the chaos that surrounds him. After being eased into the game through some expository dialogue, you don the space suit and obtain the weapons and then the real fun starts. The first thing that is noticeable from the start is that Isaac is more fleshed out as a character, having full dialogue and an intriguing back story. The secondary characters, some looking to help and others looking to harm him, are equally compelling and add a depth to the story that felt absent in the first game. The frightening Necromorphs are more aggressive than ever in Dead Space 2, and you will spend a good part of the game fighting them off along with a host of other nightmarish creatures. The key to survival is aiming at their limbs, and this leads to some tense firefights where you are surrounded by enemies and aiming becomes a frantic and sometimes frustrating endeavor. The weapons we know and love form the first game have also returned, including the Plasma Cutter, the Pulse Rifle, and my favorite, the Line Gun.

Dead Space 2 is every bit as creepy and atmospheric as the first game, but you will immediately notice that they have increased the gore and the frequency of the "jump" moments. Like any good horror movie, you will find yourself walking into a dark and eerily silent room, knowing that something is going to jump out at you. The graphics and sound of the first game set a gold standard for survival horror games and they are equally stellar here. Adding to the atmosphere are more varied locales, including hospital rooms, a concourse and, most creepy of all, children's bedrooms with bloody handprints on the wall. This adds up to an experience that feels fresher than the original Dead Space and you get less bored of travelling through space station areas that all look the same after a while. The gameplay is as tight as the original, with responsive controls and meaty weapons are are a pleasure to eviscerate enemies with. That I have noticed an improvement on are the controls in the Zero-Gravity areas, which were cumbersome in the first game but feel better here. Returning are your abilities with Stasis, which allows you to slow down enemies and grab far away objects. Using this skill is a life-saver, especially in the more hectic fights later in the game.

The other notable improvement is the online multiplayer, which consists of two teams of four people, one side being the soldiers and the other being the creatures found in the single-player campaign. The leveling up works like most other competitive online games; you earn points by getting as many kills, as few deaths, and assisting your teammates when they are overpowered. The points from levelling up allow you to upgrade equipment, armour and abilities and it works well for the most part. The only drawbacks are the high learning curve, especially when playing as a creature, and the lackluster performance of your weapons and stasis in the beginning. Some of my friends have complained about the connection issues with the servers and horrible lag, but I have yet to experience this myself. It's fast, frantic, and yes, a little frustrating. However, I look at the multiplayer as a bonus since I bought this for the campaign.

Overall, Dead Space 2 is a sequel that keeps the strengths of the original game while making some improvements that will please fans who are looking for something new. The single-player campaign is very solid and will keep you busy for 10 to 12 hours, depending on the difficulty chosen, and the multiplayer should satisfy your competitive streak once you get past the learning curve. I purchased the Xbox 360 version of the game, but the Playstation 3 version comes with Dead Space: Extraction, an on-rails shooters previously exclusive to the Wii, but I own this already so it didn't make a difference to me. Whatever version you choose, Dead Space 2 is a winner and is one of the first great games of 2011.

5.0 out of 5 stars One gun! One shot!(or seven) One dead necromorph, February 1, 2011
This review is from: Dead Space 2 (Video Game)
This game, I'd have to say is probably the best sequal of any game yet. Actually, it's the best game ever. When i first heard about it, I was kindof skeptical about it since the lead producers of Dead Space 1 left and are now working on the new Call of Duty. I played Dead Space 1 almost religiously. I got all of the achivements for it, and i have to say that I'm going to get all of them for this game. The game is awesome. It's like 20 out of 10 awesome. There is nothing reallyw wrong with the game but I noticed that the game reveals the contents way faster than Dead Space 1. Ex: you get the plasma cutter, TK, and Stasis all in the first chapter. And the various necromorphs are revealed alot faster two. I would also like to say that, yes the game does have a video about dead space 1, but if you havent, beat Dead Space 1 first. It makes the game 10x better. And something else id like to mention that *Spoiler* the monster that regenerates his arms, like the one in dead space 1, i was hoping that you would need some sort of strategical way to kill him. But you never do. *end*

5.0 out of 5 stars Isaac Clarke is... *space boots activate* IRON MAN., January 28, 2011
This review is from: Dead Space 2 (Video Game)
Dead space 2 is amazing! There's definitely no denying that. From the moment you start the game you're thrown into a whirlwind of creepiness, action, and dismemberment. Isaac is back to destroy more of what is essentially space zombies, but this time... with rocket boots.

STORY - 4.5/5
The plot in a nutshell: it's been three years since the incident at the USG Ishimura and our hero Isaac Clarke has been held captive on the sprawl (formally known as titan station) at the hands of EarthGov. Another necromorph breakout is at hand and it's up to you to figure out why or how this has happened again while fighting back your increasingly uncontrollable dementia. Throughout your adventure there's never a dull moment between all the interactions with your ex-girlfriend Nicole, the EarthGov, and the random survivors of the sprawl outbreak. There's definitely a driving force that helps you to continue on through all the madness while uncovering the truth behind this new incident and yourself. Isaac with a voice is definitely a welcome addition and as a result his character is very well developed. In fact, he's got quite the humour as well. The only problem I had with the game, and this problem is something I had with the older game as well is that there are still so many unanswered questions regarding the things you encounter.

GRAPHICS: 5/5
For the Xbox 360 version, the game is separated into two discs. This is done for a reason and that reason is because this game looks absolutely breathtaking. The environments are amazing. At one point you might be looking out at the remains of what used to be a civilized city while spaceships are zipping across the screen to noticing the high level of detail on the smallest of things in an abandoned apartment. Everything down to each limb or piece of floating debris is ridiculously detailed.

GAME-PLAY:
SINGLE-PLAYER: 5/5
If you liked the game-play of the first game, you're in for a treat. This time, the game shifts its focus from being creepy to being more chaotic. I often found myself being stressed not because of the weary tension that builds when you have necromorphs creeping in the darkness but because it felt like I was constantly being overrun by an army of necromorphs. This by no means is a bad thing because never did I feel like I was unprepared for the attack. Isaac Clarke might be a nerdy Engineer, but not one who doesn't now have a Ph.D in kicking Necromorph butt. (or should I say slicing and dismembering necromorph butts?) This time he's got even more weapons to deal with the old and new strains of necromorphs that stand in your way and oh is it great. An alien outbreak never sounded so good. Isaac himself feels a lot more agile making movement easier than the previous title. He now stomps, and swings with ease! Also, for those of you who love to collect things, throughout the game there are multiple suits to be found that aid Isaac in numerous ways with their own respective and unique aesthetics to go along with them.
MULTIPLAYER: 3.5/5
The multiplayer is fun enough and a nice touch for those who have completed the campaign. Just think left4dead in space but with literally no respawn timer if you're a necromorph and you get the idea. There are 5 different modes you can play and as you level up you unlock new suits/weapons/necro-perks. Problem with this modes is that they all feel and play the same. Overall, it's a welcome addition, but the fun factor could have been so much more if this aspect of the game was more finely tuned.

SOUND: 5/5
Wow... just wow. The only way to play this game and enjoy it in its full glory is by turning the volume all the way up.

REPLAYABILITY: 4.5/5
The single player campaign is longer than the first by only 3 hours but I'm overall happy with the standard 10-12 hours of gameplay time the first time through. It's definitely a game where you have to play through twice to get every last drop of detail and "weapon testing" that is to be had, additionally rocket-boots = full of win.

CONCLUSION:
GET THIS GAME, or rent if you're not a big Dead space fan. Either way, no matter who you are, you have to experience this game!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Sinister Awesomeness, January 28, 2011
DRocK (Denver, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Space 2 (Video Game)
I have only just begun the game and am not even half-way through it. I usually wouldn't write a preemptive review like this, but hey, if the game gets any less awesome by the finale I will be sure to update this review. As it stands, I just don't see that happening at all. If you are a big fan of the original, and I am, I assure you that you will be BLOWN AWAY by this game. Much like the first game, this game starts off with a bang (within maybe 2 minutes the chaos ensues) and keeps your heart pumping throughout. I really can't wait to see where the story goes. Also, very cool that they reveal Issac's character a lot more and so far the game has done a great job with that.

Just two things that have thrown me off so far (neither of which are by any means a dealbreaker for me, but worth mentioning). The xbox 360 version comes with 2 discs. So I anticipate that I'll have to switch discs at some point. Whatever, no biggie. Also, I'm a little bummed that they took out the map in DS2. A lot of critics came down on the in-game map that DS1 featured, but frankly I liked it and used it all the time. Doesn't bring my rating of the game down at all, and I can kind of see why they wouldn't put it in this game as it wouldn't fit in quite the same, but I do kinda miss it. Aside from that, they've brought back all the good and improved on all the rest.

I have been waiting for this game a long time and it is arguably my most anticipated game for this year. I'm glad it doesn't disappoint... I skipped out on the Collectors Edition due to all the disappointment surrounding the contents (might as well just pick up some collectors items to my liking on my own). Don't hesitate to get this game. I can see myself playing it over and over and to me, that makes it well worth my $.

5.0 out of 5 stars Return of Dead Space, February 2, 2011
This review is from: Dead Space 2 (Video Game)
Absolutely brilliant game. I was not disappointed with this creation at all. The graphics in Dead Space 2 are much improved from the original. One thing that many people may or may not have noticed in the original, was that Issac never really displayed a personality and that left Dead Space with only extreme gore and sudden attacks to get our hearts pumping. But in Dead Space 2 from the very beginning of the game we begin to see more and more whats going on inside his head and through that we can share a bit of the fear and sheer terror of horrors that plague the station. Just as in the last game, Dead Space 2 has you continually trying to guess who is actually on your side; who can be trusted and who's trying to kill you. Dead Space offers many new small challenges that were not featured in the original, such as; manually hacking doors, replacing parts (besides power nodes), facial recognition and more. One of the most obvious changes will be the addition of a few new enimies; figuring out all their tricks will certainly entertain you for a while. I have found that Dead Space 2 has also shifted in a way that requires you to be more efficient with your amunition and more importantly,to be creative with object you find laying about. With a bevy of unlockables and more difficulty available than you could ever hope to conquer, Dead Space 2 is sure to keep you strapped to your controller for quite some time. Hope you enjoy as much as I did. Bon chance!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent action game!, January 28, 2011
Jason Bean (Iowa City, IA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Space 2 (Video Game)
Dead Space was a very good 3rd-person action title. The graphics and controls were top-notch and very slick and really drew you into the experience. This is very much carried over to it's sequel with even more impressive gameplay and action but unfortunately, like the first Dead Space doesn't quite feel like the survival-horror game it's trying to be.

The story of Dead Space 2 picks up three years after the events of Dead Space 1 with now fully-voiced Isaac Clarke on a space station breaking out of a mental institution and fighting through waves of monsters on his way to finding out the truth about his condition as well as the outbreak. Making Isaac a talking hero was a wise choice on the developers part as not only is the voice-actor giving a top-notch performance but it gives us a personal connection with the hero. The overall story itself is good sci-fi thriller with some great (and psychological) twists and turns but somewhat lacking the personal connection to events we had in the first Dead Space. It's really the story of Isaac losing his sanity that keeps us engaged.

Like I said before, the gameplay was already rock-solid in the first Dead Space but it's even more refined in this sequel! Isaac is even more responsive as you shoot, dismember, punch and stomp your way through hordes of monsters! The gameplay flows so naturally and even the zero-gravity moments feels easy to control. There's stasis and telekinesis you can use in combat too, but I only found myself using them in puzzles. While stores and workbenches make their return you have to hunt-down schematics of weapons and armor before you can buy them, so always keep an eye out.

Also, with the gameplay taking place on a space station we see some pretty varied level designs and some great action set-pieces (a particularly memorable one early on on a train). The graphics in these levels, as with the gameplay carry a polish that we rarely see in games today (with zero slowdown!). I doubt there will be a patch for this game anytime soon as there doesn't need to be one.

As I mentioned in my opening Dead Space 2 like Dead Space 1 is a terrific action game, but doesn't quite live up to the survival-horror genre it's going for, mainly in that these games really aren't that scary. While there's definitely a sense of unease in the game filled with some moments that might make you jump (along with some disturbing hallucinations) it's never what I'd actually call SCARY. While I died plenty of times I never once was afraid to press on, in fact I even found myself chasing monsters into unlit hallways and secluded rooms.

While the horror elements of Dead Space 2 fail to live up to the scares it promised the gameplay elements and polished graphics make it a terrific 3rd-person action game! It's a good twelve hours of gameplay (spread across two discs) and I was more than happy to start another play through unlocking better armor and weapons. Dead Space 2 is a must-play for any Dead Space fan and anyone looking for a great action-experience!

5.0 out of 5 stars Improves on the original in just about every way, January 31, 2011
This review is from: Dead Space 2 (Video Game)
The original Dead space was a classic. While the stories of both games don't come off as "original" they do a good job of pushing you forward to what Dead space does best "Atmosphere" It is very easy to find yourself on the edge of your seat expecting the next wave of enemies to jump out at you.

Dead Space is probably a little scarier and the pacing is probably slightly better than its successor but overall Dead Space 2 is the better game due to its improvements. You can reload while walking, recharging stasis is a button press rather than needing to open up your inventory to use it, the controls are much more responsive and they have eliminated much of the backtracking that plagued the first one. The game should take between 10-13 hours for 1 play-through and there is still enough to do to make a second or third play through worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing with only two flaws!, January 30, 2011
This review is from: Dead Space 2 (Video Game)
If you're reading this review you probably already know just how great this game is. I, like a hefty majority of the reviewers, am in LOVE with the single player. It's scary, suspenseful, interesting, and fun as hell. Many different elements came together to make this experience simply amazing.

The first part, the horror, was executed perfectly. I would say this game is scarier than the first one (after you got over the whole necromorph thing), there are more things popping out at you and those things are more varied. The new environment allows the game designers to bring in necromorph babies. Those things come in crazy, screaming packs that overwhelmed me way too many times. The lighting continues to be sparse and yet creates an environment that players will not want to explore. This is not because players will want to beat the game as soon as possible, on the contrary I wanted to play as much of the game as I possibly could. However, it felt like every time I walked into a room I didn't have to I was suddenly attacked by some type of monster. It was great.

The other part of the single player was its gameplay. Again it was phenomenal. The graphics were great and added to the eerie rooms and gory necromorphs. The controls were tight, the HUD, like in Dead Space 1, was in-game (allowing the player to really feel like they were guiding Isaac, not some computer-generated space guy). Now comes my only problem with the single player. Even if you play on normal difficulty at times the game felt hard, unfair even. At some check points I had to try out like 15 different strategies before beating one area. DOn't get me wrong, I loved to be challenged in video games, but sometimes I just felt like parts were unbeatable.

My only other problem doesn't have to do with the single player it was the whole multiplayer experience. If you are the only person in this world who plans on buying this game for the multiplayer, don't. The multiplayer feels like the developers just wanted to jump on the bandwagon and just pump out some online fun without really thinking about it. The amazing story isn't carried over into multiplayer(which has become a theme with games with good stories like AC: Brotherhood or Bioshock 2). Games are hard to get into and once you do you get about 5 minutes of mediocrity before going back into a lobby for awhile.

The game is great BUY IT NOW!!!! If I could give 4 1/2 stars I would, as the multiplayer problems don't really effect a lot of players. Have fun in the single player and even in the multiplayer if you want to. I'm sure the developers will come out with a patch to fix multiplayer soon but for now..
Anyways have fun mutilating necromorphs and s*******g your pants!!

Dead Space 2
Dead Space 2 by Electronic Arts (Xbox 360)
$19.99 $17.49