Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dead Space (PlayStation 3)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 74 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on January 31, 2013
When I saw that Dead Space was being sold for $13, I decided to buy it. It was worth the purchase. I love Resident Evil, and have only played re 4,5,6. Dead Space is spookier and scarier than Resident Evil. To say that I was terrified would be an understatement. I was scared of Isaac's footsteps! I was in paranoia ville! This game is not for the faint of heart! I don't recall a game terrifying me to this degree.

You play as Isaac Clark (third person shooter), an engineer who's sent to repair the Ishimura ship, and that's when disaster strikes! The ship is infested and crawling with Necromorphs! The Necromorphs are grotesque, mutated creatures and they can come charging at you anytime. They can break into a sprint and jump! They can even play dead! When I walked past a seemingly dead Necromorph, I let out a blood-curdling shriek when I realized it was playing possum! They can materialize from the vents, doors, and hallways. So you're ALWAYS on EDGE. The tension is UNWAVERING! Even though the ammo was sparse, I used it on every Necromorph I saw lying on the floor! I was that paranoid!

The combat is different than other survival horror games. With Dead Space, you must strategically sever the limbs. The game repeats this strategy quite a few times during the first chapter, so you never forget. Once severed, they ooze. You can also stomp on them, and that makes them gush. It's quite the bloodbath! The producers were very detail-oriented. The only time I began to relax a little bit was when I was next to a save point.

The graphics are stunning, the voice acting is fantastic, the score is creepy, and the controls are fluid. Overall, the gameplay is fantastic. You get access to a store (chapter 2 and onward) where you can store /sell your items, buy weapons. There are work benches if you want to upgrade your suit and weaponry. I loved the weapons in this game. The weapon I depended on the most was the plasma cutter. It can rotate vertically or horizontally, which adds to the flexibility of the game's combat system.

Since the ship has many dark hallways, you can get overwhelmed and feel disoriented. So the great thing about this game is that you cannot get lost. By pressing the R3 button, the game shows you where you must go by illuminating a blue light.

There are two things that I didn't like about this game. Firstly,(it's not really a flaw) is that Issac doesn't speak. I wish he spoke or had some kind of dialogue with the crew members so I could get invested in the character a little bit more. With that being said, it didn't subtract from the enjoyability of the game. (The producers amended this in Dead Space 2.)

Secondly, in Chapter 4, there's an asteroid shooting objective which frustrated me to no end! It killed the fun factor! I plain hated it! I spent hours trying to pass it and I died over 40 times! I would rather face an army of Necromorphs than shoot the asteroids! The right analog stick was very hard in aiming at the asteroids. Plus, I'm left-handed and my right hand is very weak. So this also factored into dying countless times. Many people have encountered difficulty in passing this stage. I don't understand why the producers included this in the game. It is horrible! I knocked off a star due to this part. It really discouraged me from re-playing the game again due to that horrible asteroid-shooting mini-game.

Overall, I recommend this game! It's one of the best games I've played on the PS3. If you're a fan of survival horror, or just want to play a great game and scare yourself silly, then this game is for you. I hope you find this review helpful.
on January 26, 2009
No joke. It has been a long time that I've played a game that actually scared me. Play it on a big screen with a good surround sound and you are in for a wild ride. EA did a good job playing with your senses and keeping you on your toes. They really play the cliche against you. Expect the unexpected.

The game is beautiful. Sometimes I had to stop just to enjoy the scenery.

My only gripe was at times I felt I was doing work. The tasks got tedious at times, but the surprises and the story line kept me engaged. I wanted to continue playing to till I finished. That's how good I thought the storyline was. There were times where I felt disappointed. Some situations got built up, made you think the worse, only to be met with a downer. Thankfully it was only a few times. I loved the ending.

Must buy people. You won't be disappointed.
on August 28, 2009
Pros:
- Incredible environmental and sound effects
- Simply terrifying
- Great shadows and visual effects
- Weapons are a blast to use
Cons:
- No unlockables or co-operative mode
- Too difficult at times
- Repetitive
- Frustrating close-quarter combat

Gameplay:
Dead Space is a sci-fi survival horror game set in the distant future. After a friendly mining ship losing communications with headquarters, you and your crew are sent in to investigate the problem. Upon arrival, your ship loses control and collides into the friendly mining ship which causes serious structural damage and eliminates your means of escape. Shortly after, you find out that the ship is infested with a wide variety of disgusting creatures who all seek to kill you. Throughout the game, the story develops into a complicated series of strange relationships between yourself and those who you arrived with as the gameplay gets increasingly intense and new and more difficult monsters begin to appear.

The game sports an upgrade system which is done with items called nodes. Nodes can both be found through the game, as well as purchased for an expensive fee at the in-game store. These are then used to upgrade both your weapons and armor in a grid-like interface. To top that off, the 7 weapons in the game are all a blast to use and really help make the game fun in the long-run. However, the game does have some issues with close-range combat which can make some portions of the game annoyingly difficult. Another feature in the game is the stasis system. Early in the game, the main character learns how to use both stasis and telekinesis abilities. The stasis ability freezes enemies in front of the character, and telekinesis allows you to throw around objects. The stasis ability require stasis energy which is sometimes hard to come by, but its use is required in solving puzzles throughout the game, and both stasis and telekinesis are incredibly rewarding to use in combat if used effectively.

Controls:
The controls of the game have a sense of weight to them. Movement and turning is a little slow, but truthfully it fits the experience and isn't as much of an obstacle as it seems at first. One issue with the game is the close-range combat, which seems to be the one real weakness of the main character. If an enemy gets right in your face, it's really difficult to fire at the monster, and the melee attacks are practically useless. In some of the really difficult portions of the game, it creates somewhat of a problem, but the use of stasis to slow down the creatures is a great way to counter the issue. Overall, the controls are very precise and despite the shortcomings of the close-quarter combat, the game does a great job.

Graphics:
Graphically, Dead Space has a lot of strengths and a couple weaknesses. The lighting and shadows in the game are really spectacular and at times help make the game one of the scariest gaming experiences to date. Although the game features the same metal ship look throughout the game, the fine detail of the areas really helps give the environment life which therefore draws you into the experience. Another thing to note is that there are a few points in the game where you must exit the ship and enter zero gravity space. These sequences are really intense and feature some stunningly beautiful visuals. On the other hand, the textures throughout the game are rather low resolution, and even the character models aren't too friendly-looking either. All in all, the variety and environmental detail helps balance with the medium-quality textures to create a really terrifying experience that doesn't sacrifice frame rate.

Sound:
One of the most important things about any horror game is the sound. Visceral Games has hit the nail on the head with this game, and has delivered a terrific sound experience. The ambience and environmental effects are remarkable and really help make every portion of the game scary and immersive. The sound effects are really great and shooting in the vacuum of space has never felt so good. The voice acting is nothing to brag about, but it is definitely passable and has its great moments. In the end, the mixture of environmental effects and terrific sound effects from both the weapons and enemies create an incredibly eerie experience that will make you jump from your seat.

Replay Value:
Dead Space is a single-player only game that lasts roughly 14-17 hours. Some portions of the game are rather repetitive but a good portion of the game is scary and a lot of fun. The sheer amount of upgrades for your character are too much for 1 or maybe even 2 play throughs, so many will come back for more. The story is also hard to fully understand on the first play through, so a second play through is definitely warranted for many. Overall, the game doesn't last too long, but the terrifying experience is definitely worth the purchase.

Rating:
Story: 8.0
Gameplay: 8.5
Graphics: 9.0
Controls: 8.5
Sound: 9.5
Replay Value: 8.0
Overall: 8.6
on March 26, 2011
The only drawback on this game that (to me) it was so scary to play it kinda became a chore to do it. But thats on me thats how damn scary it was. This game makes all prior Resident evil games look like coconut crusted turds compared to it. The Graphics where amazing as well as the sound. Game play was fun and the weapons and getting away from the head shot where a refreshing experience. You may have some trouble picking it up in the beginning with all the sci fi tools and refrences. i could not for the life of me figure out what the hell stasis and kinesis was and how to use them. but after a few chapters it becomes second nature.. I highly recommend this and in fact i have part 2 on order and plan on getting the add on games as well. it will make you a fan of the series once you play this game
on May 1, 2011
Quite possibly the most viscerally scary game I've played. This game is best experienced at night, with all the lights off, and no one home with you. It will seriously freak you out.

None of the "jump" moments seemed cheap to me. They all fit organically into the structure of the game. They were "fair" and they got me every single time. The game builds incredible amounts of tension. You will be hesitant and afraid - even unwilling - to turn around that next corner or open the next door. You never, ever feel safe...the feeling of vulnerability and imminent danger permeates the game.

Part of the reason the game achieves this level of tension is through its use of sound and imagery. The gritty, deserted USG Ishimura is designed very well, perhaps taking a page out of Rapture, the world of Bioshock. You get the feeling of a once thriving community that has been devastated and torn to shreds. A ghost town.

An example of one of my expriences with Dead Space's use of sound and imagery/lighting: I was walking down a simple hall, just came from a relatively "safe" area I had just cleared out (to the best of my knowledge). I had to turn a corner, which I did, as always, with my knees shaking. Nothing. Just a door at the end of the hall. I breathed a sigh of relief and strolled over to the door. Right when I was about to open it, the lights snapped off, and the terrible noises of those horrible creatures ripping through the walls of the Ishimura screeched around me. I totally freaked out, and with sweaty palms and a racing heart, I ran back the way I came, trying desperately the dark and the noises. I got to the door I had came out of, but it wouldn't open either! I wanted to pound the door and scream for it to open, and all of a sudden it all ended. The lights came back on. Now I had to walk down the hall again, and turn that damn corner, again. Well, I did, and it was just that same door innocently waiting at the end of the hall. I walked up to the door (VERY cautiously) and tried to open it again. This time, nothing happened and I proceeded through the door...

Dead Space is full of such moments. In this case, nothing really happened to me, but I was still scared out of my wits because the game is so good at building tension and cashing in on it perfectly at just the right moments.

The game is also great at distributing the amount of ammo you have so it always feels like you are about to run out and won't have enough to survive the next encounter.

Dead Space is an incredible entry in the survival horror genre, and one of the better games set in outer space I've seen in a while. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the zero-G sequences! Have fun getting attacked from all directions!!
on December 28, 2015
I can't aim!!! I have always had a problem in games when it comes to aiming. The toggle on a PS3 is touchy to my mind and it goes all over the place before I can lock on to anything. Why do I mention this? Well, there is a part in this game that I simply can't get passed, the 'asteroids' section about midway through the game. I tried a dozen times, on 'Easy' mode, and I just get too frustrated. So frustrated, in fact, that I stopped playing the game altogether. This is a shame, really, as the rest of the game was a lot of fun to play. The atmosphere is creepy, the monsters relentless, and the story fairly interesting. However, I hate difficulty spikes in games that leave a player shrugging their shoulders and reaching for a different game to play. I am a casual gamer who likes to have fun more than be challenged too harshly, so when a 'spike' occurs that is just too hard I usually move on to something else. I have watched other players online pass that 'asteroid' scene flawlessly, so it is likely just my lack of aiming talent that is to blame. That scene, plus the aggravating 'loading' screen that occurs after every death, as if adding insult to injury, made me put the disc back in the case and reach for something new. This is solid sci-fi survival horror, but it is not for casual gamers who prefer fun over challenge..
on August 18, 2011
I'm a big fan of shoot 'em up games, but they can tend to look alike after a while. Dead Space turns the usual formulaic shooter on its head. The Necromorph creatures infesting the game have really decent AI, sneaking up behind you when you think you've already cleared an area. The zero gravity and no-oxygen environments are revolutionary and great fun to play. I played this game on a 60 inch HDTV with 5.1 surround, with all lights off...scary, scary, scary.
on March 5, 2012
This game has been out for quite a while now but I have recently just completed the campaign. I decided to finally play it because I was in the mood to play a new Resident Evil game but there's not one yet. I decided I would finally give this game a shot in the meantime. After playing the game I do have to say that I enjoyed the game a bunch. As a fan of Resident Evil, I enjoyed the gameplay and atmosphere very much so. Im not saying that DS copies RE but you have to admit that they share a few similarities.
In my opinion Dead Space features the best made environment and atmosphere in a survival-horror game. You can tell that the developer put a lot of effort to create a game that entertained and offered a chilling and thrilling experience. It delivers exactly that. You are stranded on a massive spaceship trying to find a way to escape while cutting the limbs off of creatures to survive.
This game is visually impressive. Even today it stands up really well. The gameplay is fun too. Shooting off limbs of enemies is a blast.
The story is probably my favorite in the genre as well. It not only pushes you along from objective to objective, but you actually want to know what happens next.
The only thing I didn't like about the game, though is that it can get a little repetitive after a while. You'll backtrack through the same areas now and then to complete an objective. It does make sense within the context of the story but it still is too bad that they didn't find a way to let you explore more areas of the massive ship.
I recommend this to anybody who hasn't played the game and feels like a good survival-horror challenge.
on January 30, 2014
A friend told me about this game a few years ago when I first bought my PS3. He said, "It's like Resident Evil when it was still scary, but it's in space." I'm a big Resident Evil fan so that comment was all I needed. Took me awhile to track down a copy for a decent price (Couldn't find it new and Gamestop wanted $24.99 for it. Too much for such an old game in my opinion). Found the game here on Amazon for $10.99.

This game is intense! When I first started playing this game I could only do a level at a time. Your guard is always up waiting for one of the crazy looking enemies to pop out of nowhere and attack you. After spending around an hour on each level, all I could do was usually one level at a time. After making it to the first 5 levels, I got stuck. There was an enemy that I just could not beat. Mostly because I ran out of ammo and health. I almost gave up on the game at this point. After a few days of contemplation, I restarted the game. Since I was now looking at the game with trained eyes, I was able to pick up more items that I missed on the first round and I used less items because I had gotten better at the game. I also played the game much faster this time.

Within a couple nights of playing the game for a few hours, I finally beat it a couple nights ago. I immediately restarted and played the first few levels again. The game was much more fun once I was a bit more experienced.

My only real complaint was the fact that Issac Clarke (your character) does not really speak. He's just there. For anyone who has played GTA III, it's kind of like the main character in that game. I have read that in the two sequels there is backstory on Issac and he is more involved in the ongoing story.

Overall, I really enjoyed this game and look forward to playing the sequels. I already own Dead Space 3 (a Black Friday sale I couldn't resist) and I plan to purchase Dead Space 2 in the near future so I can continue with this series.
on June 28, 2012
Ok, lets try to make this as brief, yet thorough as possible...

OVERVIEW: This game is a superb thrill ride with plenty of memorable moments. Its fun, engaging and fast-paced. When I say its "Relentless," I mean that this game simply never lets up from the beginning to the end of the roughly 9 hour campaign. Not to mention that this is one of the few video games out there that genuinely frightened me a few times. You gotta play this one in the dark, with the sound turned up...and of course with absolutely no children in the room. That's right, you can't play this game with your kids or your little cousins. Dead Space features a heavy "M" rating. I play a lot of action games and trust me...the amount of violence here is certainly notable. That doesn't mean it isn't extremely cool or entertaining for those of us that can stomach it. This is a horror game, but a damn good one at that.

GAMEPLAY: This game is a slightly "over the shoulder" third person shooter. I think they did this to make you feel less safe when roaming around this creepy spaceship in order to enhance the chilling atmosphere even more. The shooting mechanics are extremely fluid, even for a 4 year old PS3 title. You press L1 to aim and R1 to shoot and the rest is quite easy to figure out. You also have access to these cool abilities from your spacesuit. For example you can levitate objects, or temporarily freeze enemies to name a few. They all fit into the game seamlessly.
I guess the best way to describe how this game works is Resident Evil in space...except for the fact that you can move and shoot at the same time. You have limited inventory for ammo, health packs and other useful items. You are constantly fending off creatures that will sprint toward you from both front and behind.
A very unique, yet welcoming feature of this game is the "strategic dismemberment." Basically the only way to take down the creatures in this game(Necromorphs) is to shoot off their limbs...as opposed to a simple head shot in most other shooters. Its pretty cool and I'm sure it will make the combat more interesting for all of you.
Also its pretty much impossible to get lost on the ship due to the fact that there is this bread-crumb feature which always points you in the right direction.
The "anti-gravity" segments of the game can get a little frustrating, but once you get the hang of them they aren't too bad.

STORY: Unfortunately this is Dead Space's one true weakness. Without giving much away...the story in this game is pretty lackluster and nonexistent. The main character(Isaac Clark) doesn't even have any lines(Although he does in the sequel). Ironically, I will mention that what little voice acting is present by the other characters is pretty top notch.
You are essentially part of a small team that has been tasked with responding to a distress call coming from a mining spaceship call the USG Ishimura. Once you get there...well you begin to find out that things have gone VERY wrong. There are a few small twists as you begin to unravel just what the hell happened on this ship. Some are predictable and some are not, but there just isn't any real depth to the plot. The mission objectives are pretty lame too. They are all simple fetch or repair quests.
But, I don't think that's what VISCERAL GAMES was going for here. They were clearly focusing on the experience and didn't want the player sitting back and watching cut scenes. They want you on the edge of your seat scared out of your mind.

VISUALS: The game looks terrific for an older title. The blood and the dismemberment animations are very well done and the character models are pretty damn convincing. Lights will flicker realistically as you walk down corridors, body parts will scatter in a way that almost look real and when you look out of the ship windows...you actually feel like you are in space. The designers successfully captured a chilling and creepy atmosphere.

THE BOTTOM LINE: I absolutely loved it. If you like intense third person shooters with plenty of action...go for it. Just remember that its not for the faint of heart. And don't expect a deep, intricate story line like Uncharted.