Dead Space (PlayStation 3)
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3Change
Price:$19.25 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 1, 2013
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3
When I saw that Dead Space was being sold for $13, I decided to buy it. It was worth the purchase. I love Resident Evil, and have only played re 4,5,6. Dead Space is spookier and scarier than Resident Evil. To say that I was terrified would be an understatement. I was scared of Isaac's footsteps! I was in paranoia ville! This game is not for the faint of heart! I don't recall a game terrifying me to this degree.

You play as Isaac Clark (third person shooter), an engineer who's sent to repair the Ishimura ship, and that's when disaster strikes! The ship is infested and crawling with Necromorphs! The Necromorphs are grotesque, mutated creatures and they can come charging at you anytime. They can break into a sprint and jump! They can even play dead! When I walked past a seemingly dead Necromorph, I let out a blood-curdling shriek when I realized it was playing possum! They can materialize from the vents, doors, and hallways. So you're ALWAYS on EDGE. The tension is UNWAVERING! Even though the ammo was sparse, I used it on every Necromorph I saw lying on the floor! I was that paranoid!

The combat is different than other survival horror games. With Dead Space, you must strategically sever the limbs. The game repeats this strategy quite a few times during the first chapter, so you never forget. Once severed, they ooze. You can also stomp on them, and that makes them gush. It's quite the bloodbath! The producers were very detail-oriented. The only time I began to relax a little bit was when I was next to a save point.

The graphics are stunning, the voice acting is fantastic, the score is creepy, and the controls are fluid. Overall, the gameplay is fantastic. You get access to a store (chapter 2 and onward) where you can store /sell your items, buy weapons. There are work benches if you want to upgrade your suit and weaponry. I loved the weapons in this game. The weapon I depended on the most was the plasma cutter. It can rotate vertically or horizontally, which adds to the flexibility of the game's combat system.

Since the ship has many dark hallways, you can get overwhelmed and feel disoriented. So the great thing about this game is that you cannot get lost. By pressing the R3 button, the game shows you where you must go by illuminating a blue light.

There are two things that I didn't like about this game. Firstly,(it's not really a flaw) is that Issac doesn't speak. I wish he spoke or had some kind of dialogue with the crew members so I could get invested in the character a little bit more. With that being said, it didn't subtract from the enjoyability of the game. (The producers amended this in Dead Space 2.)

Secondly, in Chapter 4, there's an asteroid shooting objective which frustrated me to no end! It killed the fun factor! I plain hated it! I spent hours trying to pass it and I died over 40 times! I would rather face an army of Necromorphs than shoot the asteroids! The right analog stick was very hard in aiming at the asteroids. Plus, I'm left-handed and my right hand is very weak. So this also factored into dying countless times. Many people have encountered difficulty in passing this stage. I don't understand why the producers included this in the game. It is horrible! I knocked off a star due to this part. It really discouraged me from re-playing the game again due to that horrible asteroid-shooting mini-game.

Overall, I recommend this game! It's one of the best games I've played on the PS3. If you're a fan of survival horror, or just want to play a great game and scare yourself silly, then this game is for you. I hope you find this review helpful.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 12, 2008
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3
Dead Space is a great survival horror shooter that you can't pass up. As you have heard this game borrows heavily from many titles from both cinema and gaming. This works to this games advantage in so many ways. This game really sucks you in to the point where you become totally absorbed and immersed in your surroundings.

The gameplay is excellent as there are many different functions that can be utilized using the controller. Anti-gravity is definitely a stand out feature on this game. There is nothing else like it out there. Combat is also a great feature that is made a lot of fun by using the dissecting feature. Enemies are hard to take down as they are fast and have thick skin. There are a few weapons to choose from and all have their pros and cons on individual enemy types. There are a few puzzles scattered about the game that make for a fun change of pace.

Graphics and sound on this title are some of the best to date. The main characters costume is truly an awesome sight to behold on the screen. The enemies are scary and disgusting which makes you want to kill them ASAP. A few reviews mention that the game gets predictable after awhile. Although you will get a sense of when an enemy is going to enter the scene due to a cue via scary music, you will still be jolted quite often as they don't always come from the same areas as some say. The music and sound effects are critical in making this game as great as it is.

The storyline is another plus. You are basically spending most of the game trying to get your ship up and running. This entails a lot of running around trying to perform various tasks while fending of the Necromorphs. This game was put together perfectly. I can tell that they spent a lot of time and effort on this game to make it the best they could. It paid off bigtime! I'm really impressed by this one. It keeps my interest whereas a lot of other games in the same genre can't even come close. It's hard to put the controller down on this one. It's truly a beautiful game in every aspect.

I have nothing negative regarding this game except that it would be nice to see another human being every now and then (that isn't dead) as this game has a very isolated and claustrophobic feel to it. Dead Space can make you feel a little jumpy right after you play it, especially at night. That's the power of a great survival horror title. It can really give you an adrenaline boost every now and then. Dead Space is probably only a half star lower than Fallout 3 and Bioshock imo. You won't regret buying this one.
on October 27, 2008
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3
I can honestly say that I wasn't expecting this game to be as fun as it is.. I think that part of what makes this game fun is that it wasn't hyped up like some other titles that hit PS3 like Haze, Star Wars Force Unleashed. Not taking away from any of these games but typically hype can be a double edged sword because games never quite meet expectations when there is hype. Anyway I rented this game because I wasn't sure about it & honestly I wish I would of bought it.. You feel like you are in a science fiction/horror movie flick reminiscent of Event Horizon, Aliens, etc. The graphics are excellent because they are dark, but very detailed & the sound is superb. When low on health your character labors for breath because he is weak & when running great distances his breathing is labored. Not to mention the suspenseful music when the enemies jump out at you & scare the crap out of you. This game reminds me of the very 1st Resident Evil that was created back in the 90's on the 1st Playstation. This is definitely a survival horror game at its greatest. I am not going to go into the specific details in my review because there are several reviews that have covered the technical logistics on the strong points of this game. All I can say is that if you are a fan of sci-fi horror flicks, get this game!! Turn all the lights off & crank up the sound & prepare to have the crap scared out of you LOL..
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3
This is definatly a gem. The graphics, use of audio and music, and the controls are all SOLID. Quite possibly one of the best horror games I have played in awhile. Fun weapons, intresting storyline, disgusting creatures that you can demolish limb by limb, and beautiful graphics on my 1080i LCD. If any die hard fans of Half Life are playing this though they will realize that Dead Space has borrowed ALOT of elements from the series...but its all good because this game is extremely fun, violent, horrifiying at times, and will keep you hooked until the end...and isnt that what a good game is supposed to do?

TRAP
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 13, 2011
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3
I was taken to see "Alien" in theaters when I was 11 years old. It was a lesson, really, to teach me that movies weren't real so that I would stop hiding under the couch whenever my step-dad let me stay up late to watch KTVU's "Creature Features" on Friday nights.

It was also the most heart-pounding, tense, gritty, awesome space adventure I'd ever been on. I was blown away, and it made me an instant master of the horror genre - nothing else would ever come close.

Fast-forward thirty years (30 years? crap, i'm getting old) and umpteen "horror" video games, and nothing else had ever managed to provoke that same level of newness, excitement and sheer terror. And then I started playing Dead Space.

The story of Dead Space is tight and (mostly) believable. I won't recap the entire plot, but it was refreshing to be a "normal" crew member thrown in to an extraordinary circumstance. The introduction of the story and the amount of time it takes to get from "start" to "holy crap, how do I kill that thing?!?" is pretty long (4+ minutes), but it is worth it for the complete picture of the story it lays out.

The true glory in this game are the various creatures (mesomorphs) you have to battle as you make your way through the ship. They get increasingly harder to kill, as you get increasingly more effective weaponry. I have a friend who worked on the game, and he insisted that they designed the game so you could make your way through it with the most basic weapon: the Plasma Cutter. I took him to heart on that, and kept that as my weapon of choice on my first time through.

Dead Space has incredible visuals, the mesomorphs are freaky (the babies-turned-attackers are downright sick and nasty), but what really sets this game apart is the gameplay itself. Headshots alone won't get you out of a jam: you have to learn how to dismember your enemies, and even then they'll continue to crawl, scratch, or drag themselves after you.

If there are downsides, it is the similarity between how each level starts & ends. The inter-ship tram is pretty much the go-between for each level. Once you're back at it, you know you're safe, and know that when you start the next level you'll make your way to a new portion of the ship, get one to five minutes to explore before all hell breaks loose. But each level has a different challenge to it that you have to figure out. Which weapon to use on what set of enemies in what order all makes a difference. It's a strategic puzzle of dismemberment and mayhem. Sweet.

Also, DS follows the old-school "big boss" scenario, which seems a little dated, especially when facing the ginormous boss at the end of the game. Some levels have "bosses" others don't. A small chink in otherwise glowing armor.

Speaking of armour: you can collect cash and items worth cash, then spend the money at various stores throughout the game. Never before have I so immediately opted to upgrade my armor. Usually I get the big gun, then upgrade the defense: not in Dead Space. Every time I got the chance, I upgraded the suit.

Once you finish the game you can go back through on the same difficulty setting and keep all of your accumulated weaponry and defenses. Sweet. Never been a better reason to play a game a 2nd time.

If you haven't played Dead Space yet, DO SO before Dead Space 2 comes out next week. Seriously.
on January 11, 2011
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3Verified Purchase
I got this game using a $20 video game credit I received from another purchase. As a greatest hit I expected a very polished and very playable game, and so far it has delivered. In fact, it has delivered to the point where I have become so engrossed with my characters mission and predicament that I walk the corridors of the ship on constant alert, afraid of what hides behind the next turn, above the ceiling, or below the floor. Its a constant struggle to maintain ammo supplies and I think this adds to the element of horror...It isn't enough that you have unspeakably grotesque mutations coming after you, you also have to worry about running out of ammo. There is no melee weapon in this game. If you are attacked you can fight them off with your brute strenght, but you WILL lose health amd can only take one or two physical fights before having to replenish your health.

I'm only about 1/3 of the way through the game I think, I'm really not sure though. I've got a lot of weapons, but I haven't really gotten very many power nodes to upgrade any of them very much yet. I've been spending most of my nodes on the Line Gun to increase it's spread and damage. I don't know how many nodes are in the game, I'm wondering if I'll only be able to fully upgrade one weapon or if there are still enough to be found to upgrade all my weapons. And this may be my one gripe with the game...I hope I don't end up having spent my nodes uselessly. I think I prefer a system that lets you upgrade weapons either with parts that can only be used on specific weapons, or by allowing you to upgrade each one before rewarding you with the next one. Still, each weapon has it's strengths and maybe this is why they did it this way. It is a good upgrade system for what it is though, and there are plenty of work benches to be found through the levels.

Stasis is basically a bullet-time type of system, it works but I haven't really used it much for combat, not because I don't like it, but because I never remember to use it. I imagine it would work very well though given that there are plenty of recharge stations through out the ship as well as recharge packs you can carry around. I've come across only a few situations where I've remembered to use it in combat and it has definitely helped...it's great for crowd control.

This game is definitely creepy...and gets creepier the more you get into it. Play it at night in a house all alone, with the lights down dim and the volume up high (or even with headphones).
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 28, 2010
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3
It's been quite some time since a video game has genuinely scared me. The newer Resident Evil games, as fun as they are, have moved away from horror into more "action thriller" areas. Similar to what the reviewer wrote a few reviews below mine, the last game to really, truly scare me was Silent Hill 2 on the PS2. I imagine it's quite challenging to make a video game that delivers true horror, just like it must be difficult to make a film or write a book that does the same. Dead Space, however, not only delivers the terror in spades, but also delivers a game with great gameplay, incredible atmosphere, a movie-worthy story, and pulse pounding action.

First things first...this game is scary. Aside from the moments Isaac (your character) spends in the game's insta-shops and upgrade stations, every moment spent moving through the corridors of the starship Ishimura will have you on edge. You are in a constant state of nervousness and vulnerability, as you can be attacked by the horrific Necromorphs at any time, and your resources, while powerful and useful, are very limited, so you must make the most of everything. The game's terrific presentation only amplifies this. The graphics are vivid and detailed, and creepy sounds echo from all angles. Along with Bioshock, this game uses sound more effectively than any other game I've played this generation to create mood. Soft whispers, hints of distant movements, and creaking metal give way to violent shrieks, blasts and explosions in an instant. There is no time to rest. The game won't let you. It is an intense experience.

Thankfully, the frightening atmosphere is supported by well executed gameplay. The control scheme closely resembles that of Resident Evil 4. This works well for this type of game, as it limits your direct view to an over-the-shoulder third person angle, and adds to the tension since you can't see everything around you all the time. It's very easy to master and soon you will be dismembering your horrifying enemies in glorious, gory fashion. The action is fast and furious, and is made even more intense by the periods of edgy calm that come in between. The menus are all simple to navigate and work well, including the level maps that are given to you at the start of each chapter. The weapons feel tough and meaty. The zero-gravity areas are a mind trip and cause you to quickly re-adjust the way you perceive the task at hand, and the mechanics for these areas worked great. From a control perspective, everything worked well. To someone new to the survival horror genre, movement and control might seem a bit limited at first, especially when compared to other games. But you'll quickly realize that for a game like this, where so much is about the unknown and the unseen, the scheme is perfect for bringing out the most out of the chilling atmosphere, and really makes the whole experience more immersive.

In addition to the superb graphics and sound, the presentation of the game is rounded off beautifully by a really good story. The plot details unfold slowly as Isaac discovers audio and text logs that detail what happened on board the Ishimura and the intriguing and disturbing details begin to unfold. The few other characters in the game are very well written and voice acted. Overall, it's just a really well put together game that is a lot of fun to play. Of course, this is a horror game, and a very effective one, so it's obviously not for every taste. The game's intensity and constant aura of terror might be too much for someone who doesn't enjoy this sort of thing. But survival horror fans who loved both the not-knowing-what's-around-the-corner creepiness of the original Resident Evil, and the disturbing psychological uneasiness that Silent Hill delivered, will be in heaven here. It's obvious that lots of time and care was spent to deliver a true, effective survival horror experience, and Dead Space is a resounding success across all fronts.
on November 25, 2010
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3Verified Purchase
It is pretty rare for a game to be a horror game and a hit at the same time. Silent Hill 2, one of my all time favorite, was the last horror game I played and enjoyed a lot. Since then, I have been trying other games, but they just don't do it for me. Then Dead Space comes out and I give it a shot. And man, I just loved it. It has been a long time since I have played a game with such thrilling suspense horror atmosphere.

*************PROS*******************

THE SETTING: Most of the horror games (and movies for that matter) use the same idea over and over again which would be a haunted house, town or object. Not this game though. It takes place in futuristic time on a mysterious space ship missing crew. While you arrive with some company, you will soon find yourself alone walking through dark corridors, rooms with strange signs made of blood and guts etc. and have no idea what you will encounter. Want to describe more, but don't want to spoil it for you.

UNIQUE WEAPONS: You are not a soldier, but an engineer. So the weapons you use to fend off the horror you encounter are tools rather than weapons that you see in most games these days. But this is what makes the experience quite unique. Instead of mindlessly shooting enemies, you will find yourself using unique tools in very particular way to get past your foes. There are quite a few weapons in the game. They will range from circular saw blade operating guns to exploding vibration shooting devices. And ammo are fairly limited. You will get enough to kill enemies, but you will run out of them if you mindlessly waste them.

TERRIFYING ENEMIES: In most horror games, you can shoot enemies pretty much anywhere and they will die. In this game though, enemies are exceptionally designed. Not only they look terrifying and disgusting, but they will require distinct method to be defeated. In most games you go for enemy torso or heads; however, in this game you have to use your unique weapons to clip off the limbs of these monsters. If you don't they will come and get you in the most brutal way possible. Another thing you will like in terms of enemies is there are variety of them. Each will different offensive and require different approach to be killed. All enemies will utilize brutal attacks and if not taken care of swiftly punish you with a gory death. This one of the few games where I loved dying for this reason.

DECENT BOSSES: Unfortunately there are not many of them, but the few bosses this game has are quite unique. Just like common enemies, mindlessly shooting bosses will just get you killed. Again you will have to experiment will different weapons and tactics and discover what works the best.

UPGRADABLE WEAPONS AND SUIT: Another thing I loved. Killing enemies and exploring dreadful spaceship will reward you with money. This money can be used to upgrade your suit and weapons. There are tons of things to upgrade and limited money. So it requires you to choose carefully and think strategically.

SUSPENSEFUL STORY: Can't tell you much without spoiling. But there are plenty of twists. You will like it.

SPACE ENVIRONMENT: Enemies are not the only horror you are facing in the game. You are in space and part of ships are blown off. So you will also have to work through harsh conditions such as zero gravity and no air. Don't worry though. Your suit will help you thorough. I can't describe enough how wonderful job they have done making this space horror environment.

ART STYLE: This is one of the few space/futuristic games where everything feels very real. When you play the game, you actually get the feeling that this is the future, this is how it would be if you were to be on an abandoned space ship. Attention to detail is just spectacular.

REPLAYABILITY: While the game is only 10-12hr long, the experience it provides will keep you coming back for more. Plus, there are 4 different difficulty mode. If you are a completionist, it will keep you engaged for quite a long time.

*****************CONS******************

ASTROID SHOOTING: Whoever put this level in the game should be fired. If you are really good at first person shooters, you may not mind it. But as for rest of us, this level will be very torturing. This just this one part in the game where you get access to a ship turret and you are supposed shoot the incoming asteroids. If you are an average player such as myself, THE ASTROID WILL GET YOU. I hated it, just hated it. Without it, this would have been a perfect game for me.

************CONCLUSION*****************

The con I described is simply horrible. But if you try sincerely you will get past it. Other than that con, this is an amazing game and a MUST experience for lovers of third person shooter and horror genre fans. I highly recommend it. 9/10.
on January 28, 2009
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3
Dead Space is one of the best games I have ever played (and I play alot of video games when I get the chance). Not really being the one to get scared of horror flicks and video games no matter how gruesome, bloody, and disturbing, but this game puts you INTENSLY ON EDGE. The game was well made 100%, from gameplay, to graphics, to sound, to great-story, to re-play value, everything. Even when you beat the game, which by the way has a huge twist at the end and you'll be like what-the-@$%^! (in a way you'll like and enjoy the game), if you replay it from the beginning I guarentee you that you'll still jump. This game gave me nightmares and was so scary and heart-pounding I got sick to my stomach from my nerves just being on edge and not wanting to die some gruesome-bloody-death. Sometimes I hade to turn the dang game off when it got TOO SCARY. Even my freinds I recomended the game to got nightmares.....but you'll want to keep playing..you want to get to the end and survive to see how it all turns out. As for the hard astroid part for the 1 bad review for this game, here's a strategy: Shoot the bigger astroids always (and go trigger-happy), hit the others, too but big fast ones heading straight for your window sheild should be top priority; this part of the game last like maybe 1-3 minutes and then you can get back to the fun stuff. I won't lie, I didn't like this part either but only because it was hard to get the trophy (Playstation3-trophies, X-Box 3360-Achievements) for this part by surviving with 50% health or more. Anyway, don't want to tell anything about the game to much, just read what it's about and thats all you need to know, then enjoy heart pounding terror; thats almost more than the character you play in the game knows about whats going on. Well, hope this review was helpful to you...you will have lots of fun and be scared to death.....or at least a few nightmares and at times will be like "I can't take to-much more of this". Also check out the anime-dvd "Dead Space: Downfall" after you complete the game. It is also a great buy. *Those that enjoy the game, rumors have it EA is in the works for a sequel to this game!!!!!
on October 30, 2008
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3
Dead Space is simply just an awesome Survival Horror game and anyone that is a fan of the Survival Horror genre MUST play this game. Actually, Dead Space was the first Survival Horror game that I ever bought and I think that it's a really good game for someone trying to get into the Survival Horror genre.

To take out the enemies in Dead Space effectively, you must use a system in the game that is called "Strategic Dismemberment". Basically in Dead Space, you just can't go for the typical headshot all the time and expect an instant kill, because in Dead Space, shooting an enemy in the head one time will NOT result in a Kill. In Dead Space you must target the limbs (arms and legs) of enemies to effectively take them out.

If you shoot an enemy in the head to blow his head off, usually it will result in the enemy coming towards you even faster and swinging it's arms around wildly...so in a nutshell, blowing of the heads of enemies make them faster and even more dangerous.

Also, if you take out both legs on an enemy, the enemy will still be alive and still can attack you because he'll just use his Arms to drag himself towards you and swing at you if he gets close enough. In Dead Space, try to avoid body shots as well because body shots are not really effective either.

In Dead Space, there is an abundance of Save Points, so if you die (you probably wont be dying too much in the game) you wont have to start back from a very long point before you reached the Save Station. I recommend saving the game whenever you see a Save station.

I found that Dead Space really wasn't really a hard game (I played Dead Space on my first playthrough on Medium Difficulty) and I only died a few times in the game. If you consider yourself pretty good with 3rd person shooters, I recommend that you play Dead Space on Hard Difficulty first because I really didn't get too much of a challenge from Dead Space on Medium Difficulty, however there were some parts in the game that got a little difficult on Normal Difficulty though during the last couple of chapters.

There are 13 Chapters in Dead Space and each Chapter should take you about a good Hour to complete, however, I think that a few Chapters took me a little over an Hour to complete. I completed Dead Space in a little over 16 hours. If you explore a lot in Dead Space, then I'd say that you should be able to complete Dead Space in about 14-16 hours, but if you just run through the game from point A to point B, you'll be able to finish the game quicker, however I recommend exploring because there's plenty of items to be found.

There are a couple of boss battles in Dead Space as well as parts in the game where you play in a particular area in Zero Gravity....there's even one boss battle that takes place in Zero Gravity.

There are a few puzzles in Dead Space as well, but the majority of them are rather easy to figure out, however there was just one puzzle in the game that really gave me a hard time and took me some time to figure out.

The music in the game works very well in making you feel tense and alert while playing. For anyone that's interested in the PS3 version, it does have trophies. I highly recommend playing this game with the lights out.... Dead Space, it's a game not to be missed.

See 1 answered question