5.0 out of 5 stars DEAD SPACE SALVAGE - WORTH THE PURCHASE!
Published on December 8, 2010 by Dan W

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent
I'm a huge Dead Space fanboy, so I picked this up from my local comic shop yesterday for 50% off. I really wanted to like it, and there's a few things that really drag it down.

Published on January 29, 2011 by Damon Dellamarggio

5.0 out of 5 stars DEAD SPACE SALVAGE - WORTH THE PURCHASE!, December 8, 2010
This review is from: Dead Space: Salvage (Paperback)
I don't know where to start because this book has so much positive worth to it. The story is great; it has a great continuing of the Dead Space game, preparing you for what to expect in Dead Space 2. The characters are unique. You don't know who will survive till the end of this book, if anyone at all. The story has many twist I didn't see coming. The visual art in this book is great, setting a great feel of dread, darkness and terror. For Dead Space fans who want to expand their knowledge of the Dead Space universe, those new to the series will not want to pass this up and those who just enjoy a great horror read - this is the book to buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, January 29, 2011
This review is from: Dead Space: Salvage (Paperback)

The art is pretty polarizing. On the one hand it's very interesting stylistically and I think it conveys the dark atmosphere of the Dead Space franchise very well. The tone is right and the monsters look sufficiently horrific and disturbing. On its own, independent of all other factors, the art is really cool and consistently interesting to look at.
However, the art really doesn't do the storytelling any favors. Even with the "cast of characters" on the first page I could barely tell which characters were which, or what was going on half the time. I couldn't always tell if characters were getting killed, or what they were supposed to be doing, and sometimes the art transitions were really abrupt to the point that it killed some of the impact of what was supposed to be happening. To use an analogy, it would be like showing a character being confronted by a bad guy with a gun, and then the immediately next panel is the character dead on the ground of an apparent gunshot wound but with no panel showing that the gun went off. It's a little awkward and breaks up the flow of the story.

Speaking of the story, the other major problem with Salvage is that the plot is largely inconsequential. By the end of the story you realize that nothing actually happened and no new revelations were made. The initial setup is compelling enough, but by the end all that's actually happened is that most of the characters are dead. The remaining characters haven't really learned or done anything that impacts the overarching Dead Space story (especially when compared to other recent tie-in merchandise like Aftermath, Ignition, and the Dead Space ipod/iphone game).

Edit-- I re-read it today, and while some things were somewhat easier to follow, they got negated by some oversights on the part of the author or artist (not sure which). As difficult as it is to tell the characters apart sometimes, they do have distinguishing characteristics (one has a bandana, one has this blue eye-tattoo around his right eye, etc), so it doesn't do the story any favors when some of the characters are very obviously mixed up. The character "Schneider" has his name associated with no less than 3 distinctly different characters, and it happens with a couple other characters on occasion, too. I'm not sure if there was a miscommunication between the artist and the author or what, or if the artist just drew the wrong character or the letterer wrote in the wrong name, but it makes things hard to follow.
Re-reading it, I did like some of the references to the other tie-in media, though. There's a reference to the recent Dead Space: Aftermath, and there's also a reference to the Dead Space flash website's story from before the first game came out.

If you can get it for cheap I'd say give it a spin just for the interesting artwork, but don't expect anything nearly as interesting as the first Dead Space prequel comics that came out when the first game was released.

3.0 out of 5 stars Torn..., February 1, 2013
T. Paslay (Sour Home Chicago) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Note: This is for the first printing of the paperback, not the Kindle.

Dead Space Salvage is a graphic novel that I was very excited about. I've been following the Dead Space story since the Templesmith comics leading up to the release of the first game. I knew this book would be artistically different, but I REALLY loved the cover and it's Dead Space.

First let's go over the artwork. This is what makes this review difficult. I absolutely love Christopher Shy's artwork. Each panel is fantastically rendered and I really appreciate his style of implied form and realism through a slightly blurred lens. Each panel stands out on its own as a work of art. However, while Shy is incredibly talented, his artwork does not translate well to sequential art. Realism through a blurred lens is fantastic if it's a 24x24 print I'm hanging on my wall that I can spend all the time in the world examining the details, appreciating the composition and noticing the little touches hidden here and there. When you're using it to tell me a story, it tends to break up the experience too much. I will list issues to support my point below.

-Characters are not easily differentiated. Because of Sky's mostly monochromatic color palette and aversion to hard edges, key members of the story are easily confused. Generally it's good practice in sequential art to give each character a unique visual trait to allow the reader to easily identify them because each bit of the dialogue isn't prefaced with John said,. The only characters that stood out were the two females because one had flaming red hair and the other did not.

-Shy's style works when you know what real life creatures and objects his paintings represent. However when you're working with science fiction/horror places and creatures that a purely artist interpretation it is difficult to discern what exactly is happening in the panel.

-As other reviewers have stated, a certain sense of continuity seems to be missing. A few times I had to retrace events to get a handle on what exactly happened. Part of this is due to some of the convoluted imagery but mostly it feels like a few "steps" have been left out. One even in particular I flipped back and forth a few times trying to see if two pages were stuck together, but that was not the case. It really seemed like I was missing a page worth of information.

Moving along to the story. The story is a little short. I've read and watched all the Dead Space supplemental material and I felt each entry (whether I liked the presentation or not, Aftermath) really had a place within the story and aided in bringing this world to life. As I've walked the various halls of each game installment, I've felt that the books/graphic novels/movies have all created a richer and more enjoyable experience. For instance going through the Unitology church in the Sprawl and listening to the story of Michael Altman after reading Martyr. However, this is the first installment that I have come across that feels absolutely disposable. I could've never read it and had the same exact experience.

I'm not trying to place blame here, but Antony Johnston also worked on the Templesmith Dead Space mini-series and that was very well written and, I think, has an integral part of the overall story of the series. So is Shy the issue, or did Templesmith's writing prowess save Johnston where Shy could not? In graphic novels, a writer can really only work with the images he's been give, so was it Shy's lack of creating more detailed and progressive panels that ultimately hindered the story? Unfortunately, I don't have that information.

In summation, if you broke up each panel as a work of art, Dead Space: Salvage is 5 stars. However, the lack of detail and cohesive story presentation on the part of Shy and the thin, almost disposable, story make for a 3 star or less graphic novel experience. If you're a Dead Space collector then you're going to put this in your collection regardless of what I say about it, just know that you may be disappointed. If you're looking for a great sci-fi horror graphic novel, this isn't the place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!!, February 3, 2011
This review is from: Dead Space: Salvage (Paperback)
This is without a doubt one of the best stories I've read in years. I was thrilled! The dialogue was excellent. Antony Johnston is truly a great writer. One of the best in the business. And Christopher Shy's artwork just knocked me out. I like the Dead Space franchise, but this is a great story in it's own right. A genuine creepfest if ever there was one. Whether you like Dead Space or not, you should check this out. This was a thrill ride from start to finish. Bravo!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Favorable Review, January 12, 2011
This review is from: Dead Space: Salvage (Paperback)
The first thing I noticed about the book was the quality of the materials used. The artwork on both the cover and throughout was well done and really fit the atmosphere of Dead Space. The story was also enjoyable however there were a couple of times that I had some trouble following the story and had to re-read a bit. There were also some nit-picky issues that I will not mention in detail here but they are far from deal breakers. As a Dead Space fan I really enjoyed it and found it to be a nice addition to the Dead Space storyline, filling in the period of time between Dead Space and its sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, January 6, 2011
This review is from: Dead Space: Salvage (Paperback)
I've been following Christopher Shy's work for some time now as I find the different mediums he uses fascinating. Salvage is not only an incredible example of his unique style but is also a frightening yet exciting look into to the world of Dead Space. He teamed up with Antony Johnston who I believe wrote the first Dead Space comic. They've teamed up to create even more deep, dark and disturbing Dead Space layers. This is graphic novel I could not only read through again and agian but view over and over.

4.0 out of 5 stars SOLID MANGA, June 9, 2014
Is not a bad read the text is some times in a difficult order to read but over all it was a good read

2.0 out of 5 stars Woops., April 7, 2014
Rocky A. Rhodes (Petersburg, MI USA) - See all my reviews
I thought that this was going to be a novel, not a graphic (comic book) type novel. Oh well. Not a big deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift for avid reader, March 29, 2014
This review is from: Dead Space: Salvage (Paperback)
My son is very happy with this addition to his collection. Arrived on time which is also a plus when it is a gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Friggin Amazing, January 13, 2014
I gotta say if your a fan of The Dead Space series. And your curious as to what had happened immediately after the first game ended, then you need to read this graphic novel. The story is well written and the artwork reminds me alot of Ben Templesmith, so if your a serious diehard fan of the dead space series then you should definitely checkout this graphic novel.

Dead Space: Salvage
Dead Space: Salvage by Antony Johnston (Paperback - December 7, 2010)
$17.99 $13.67