5.0 out of 5 stars zombie suprise
I loved this book. Without giving anything away, I am now generally concerned about a zombie outbreak.
The author takes us on a roller coaster ride through the deep south and gives a believable explanation of how a society would have to deal with the reality of a zombie outbreak.
This is not my preferred genre, but I found myself riveted and invested in the...
Published on October 2, 2011 by Iain

2.0 out of 5 stars I REALLY wanted to like this book
I really wanted to like this book. I really did. Post-apocalyptic zombie stories where there is civilization rebuilt? Sounds great! Unfortunately, the execution did not fare so well. (Synopsis can be found in other reviews).

Pros:
-A lot of interesting facts. There is pretty well researched stuff about the way the body's immune system works, interplanetary...
Published on June 11, 2012 by Frags McFraggle

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Not like all the other zombie books..., May 4, 2012
This review is from: Dead Things (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book... a whole new take on the zombie apocalypse theme, you are sad, mad, happy.. I even cried!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Book., May 4, 2012
This review is from: Dead Things (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed the book. I thought that the characters were well conceived and developed and the author didn't fall prey to going overboard with gore to shock the reader. They way he blends pop culture (Star Wars v Dune), science, and post apocalyptic theory is amazing. All in all it is a very good book.

Having said that I do have a few minor complaints. The book starts 20 years after the events that caused the outbreak and many of the key plot points i.e. the rule of the church, service on the front, exc are given to you as if they were common knowledge. The author does a really good job of trying to back fill you on how these things came to pass but I think he falls a bit short in doing so. I wish he would have given more detail about the collapse of society and the rise of the church which in my opinion would have made those who questioned the church more believable. I also wish that he would have written some more about two boys fathers Ian's in particular because he plays such a key role in Ian's development even though he is not around. Like I said minor complaints.

I would highly recommend this book because it isn't your typical zombie story. I love his thoughts on how and why zombies came to be and I think it's definitely a fresh take and what can be very played out at times. If for no other reason you should read this book just for the debate on Star Wars vs Dune, it had me smiling for hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Different Take on Zombies!!, April 30, 2012
This review is from: Dead Things (Kindle Edition)
With zombie literature having pretty much become a "been there, done that, seen that" bore, it's great to see a new and refreshing perspective on our undead friends.

In fact, it's accurate to say that this book actually represents a combination of zombie and pure post-apocalyptic fictions; it's designed to make you not only react, but also to make you think. In other words, it takes you way beyond the blood-and-guts gore (though it has that), through to the culture of the nearly puritannical world that has arisen in the wake of the "New Order." It makes for a fascinating social commentary on our ostensibly pre-apocalyptic world.

I also really liked the characters: quirky, well-written, out-loud funny, sympathetic, strong. I wouldn't mind being friends with a couple of these characters. (At the same time, of course, I really wanted to smack a couple of them for their more grating qualities.)

I do have a few qualms about the book. First, there are some grammatical errors. There are fewer of them than there are in other books of this genre, but still.... Second, there is a truly annoying lack of finishing quotation marks in the dialogue between characters. I had to repeatedly go back and re-read sentences to realize that characters were actually speaking aloud to each other and not merely musing silently to themselves.

I'm really looking forward to Mr. Darst's new creations! Great job!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-written, intelligent, z-novel, April 22, 2012
This review is from: Dead Things (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed Dead Things, the narrative for one really stood out. It was different than most books I've read, and a good change for me, as i usually enjoy past tense books more. But it wasn't even the present tense that i enjoyed as it was the way in which the author wrote--his style. A lot of telling, instead of showing, but it really worked, which for most authors it doesn't.
It's clear the author loves certain topics and educating the reader, hence the long sections of off-the-main-story segments, like the Star Wars/Dune discussion. Enthusiasts will love it. The author did a TON and i mean a TON (unless he already new it all) of research for this book. There is no doubt you will learn something from this story, whether it's about a movie or a disease or how something works. Speaking of the story, it is a good one; I liked the subtle humor and the action, which was less than most zombie books.
Dead Things is totally worth a read whether you are a zombie fan, an apocalyptic fan, or just want a good old adventure story with interesting characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique take on the apocalype, April 20, 2012
This review is from: Dead Things (Kindle Edition)
I picked up this book after subsequently reading romance for a while and while i've always loved zombie movies, i've never read a zombie novel before and it beats any novel or even movie for that matter. I was surprised at the subtle romance in the story as well and that quenched the romantic in me. Its just so subtle and yet so beautiful and there were times when my heart pounded in my chest too. Overall, a book i'll NEVER FORGET!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good first effort, April 18, 2012
Justine J (Mississippi Gulf Coast) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Things (Kindle Edition)
This is a fine first novel. Darst occasionally slips into telling instead of showing, but the quality of his writing is high enough to make up for it. Characters could be a little more developed and some of the side stories should have either been more fully developed or dropped altogether. In general, all issues that a good editor could handle. The inclusion of some of the more fun folklore/conspiracy theory type stuff along with modern zombie lore was fun. Beautiful inclusion and explanation of complex scientific concepts. The reasons for survival of populations in particular places and organizations are interesting.
In general a fun book, I hope Darst continues writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, April 12, 2012
This review is from: Dead Things (Kindle Edition)
This is my first exposure to zombie lit, and I absolutely enjoyed it! Dead Things tells the tale of a society years after a zombie epidemic. Most of the U.S. has been overrun by the undead, but large pockets of survivors remain. The political debates of today have been settled (at least publicly) because the government has been replaced by religious institutions. That background allows themes (like church vs. science) to play out. Things heat up when a small plane traveling from Kentucky to a remote colony in Texas goes down in a zombie infested zone. A few escape, facing monsters, mad men, and inner demons as they make their way home.

I think the characters were probably the strongest part of the book. They are a pretty believable collection of individuals, and I thought the author did a good job developing the female characters particularly. On the whole, the pacing worked. The book was obviously well-researched, but there is a scene or two that may have been a little weighed down by all of the science.

I would highly recommend this book to budding zombie fans, people who like science, and even older young adults.

3.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to like it..., August 22, 2012
This review is from: Dead Things (Kindle Edition)
...and I did, to a degree, but it is definitely flawed. First, the good: the story is compelling, most of the characters are likeable, the action is well-written. I liked the non-linear storytelling, and thought the author used flashbacks and jumps forward to good effect. He did a pretty good job of creating a society that is still very recognizable in spite of its major differences. That pushed it out of the standard zombie survival story for me.

**Warning: Possible Spoilers Ahead**
The bad has pretty much been covered by other reviewers, but I'll state my take. The pop culture discussions were obnoxious and distracting. I even thought some of it was interesting, but it just felt tedious and inappropriate in that context. I disengaged from the story whenever Van got to spouting off and nearly put the book down for good a few times. He was a thoroughly unlikeable character to boot, and the little interlude with Burt near the end read like a desperate attempt to try to show him to be anything but a self-centered jerk who might occasionally do a nice gesture for a friend.

The ending felt a little too neat to me as well. I like happy endings, but this story took place in a zombie apocalypse/brutal theocracy. I expected something a little more emotional or thought-provoking or something, not the zombie version of happily ever after. It was also terribly predictable. My only real question throughout the book was which of the supporting characters would live or die.

That said, it is mostly a well-written book. The author created a very vivid world, and his descriptions of the zombies were horrifying without being over-the-top. I enjoyed the scientific interludes where he described how a virus might work, or the process of decomposition, that sort of thing. It creates a feeling of plausibility which draws the reader in. I did notice that he got some facts wrong regarding veterinary medicine and decomp, but they were minor and didn't detract from the story. I also really enjoyed the theories about historical incidences of the walking dead, although I noticed some errors tied to those as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars terrific roller coaster of a read, September 6, 2011
This review is from: Dead Things (Kindle Edition)
Reading Dead Things is like riding a roller coaster. Just like when you strap yourself in, you expect a fun ride, when you pick up a book about zombies, you expect zombies. But Dead Things it is a zombie roller coaster that you never had ridden before. The book takes you up and down this zombie world, spins you through zombie danger, twists you through the new science of zombies and the political science of society. Throughout the ride to the big finish, the cultural soundtrack of music, movie and literary commentary makes this book well worth the ride.

3.0 out of 5 stars A New World Zombie Tale, March 29, 2014
This review is from: Dead Things (Kindle Edition)
Matt Durst takes the reader on a walk through a new world…one that is controlled with fear from the undead and the living.
Ian, a young man, is trapped in a world he doesn’t entirely agree with…maybe doesn’t agree with at all. But, he can’t voice it. No one can. It’s forbidden not to obey the church that rules everything now.

The undead are still a danger and service is required of the young. Ian must serve his time on the front lines. He leaves to do his duty, but doesn’t make it there. The plane he’s on crashes and things get complicated.
Now, with an array of other people, Ian must try to escape the dangerous undead creatures around him and make his way to safety – there are many hardships along the way.

At the beginning of this book I was excited to see how the author played out the apocalyptic scenario of the religious control of everything in the new world. But, because of the awkward way the book was written – more telling than showing – it didn’t take me long to be disappointed. Granted, the book isn’t a bad book, but there were spurts of dialogue versus narrative telling and they were off-putting. I didn’t like it. I felt that I was only being given information that the author thought I needed and I wasn’t getting anything from the characters. There were also pages wasted on useless informational rants that I thought weren’t needed. Altogether, I felt very much like an outsider while reading this book and would have liked to connect to the characters more.

There were some grammar issues here and there, but nothing major that bears mentioning.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›